Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

gaiscioch wrote: »
    The Baily Court in Howth is looking awful nowadays. Passed it a couple of days ago and it looks even more derelict than in this photo. Despite its very recent decline, it dates from c. 1800 and has an architectural history worthy enough to be listed on the hugely interesting/addictive Buildings of Ireland website.

From another thread, Howth Closures: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86193196
    Ray von wrote: »
    The hotel is closed and the building has been derelict for a number of years. Over the years it has had few different owners and name changes from the Royal Hotel -> Baily Court Hotel -> Baily hotel. The last owners ran into trouble and had to close.

Back in the Royal hotel & Baily Court Hotel days the hotel was a great spot for showbands, gigs, weddings. When sold and renamed as the Baily hotel they tarted it up and introduced a fancy bar (bar mizu). This was the death of the place and it lost all character.

The last owner bought for 3 million euro in 2003 but most recently AIB sold the building for 900k. The plan is to turn it into retail units and apartments.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

gaiscioch wrote: »

I think there's actually a Tory/unionist club off Camden Street that's still going.

Dublin Conservative Club on Camden Row. Used as a music venue the odd time; I assume its still open as a conservative club but by their very nature they're not organisations known to have websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

shroom007 wrote: »
    and the Crane in Crane lane opp the oak was a nice pub with a snug in the corner,

Forgot abut that one. Great spot if completely tiny.

Spent lots of time in there in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

anncoates wrote: »
    Forgot abut that one. Great spot if completely tiny.

Spent lots of time in there in the 90s.

Was a great pub - not sure if the building that's currently on the site is actually the same one?

Also, anyone remember the Molly Malone Tavern? Have vague memories of it being where the Exchequer currently is

Btw, does anyone have a photo of the Stork, an old pub from Cork St?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Was a great pub - not sure if the building that's currently on the site is actually the same one?

Also, anyone remember the Molly Malone Tavern? Have vague memories of it being where the Exchequer currently is

Btw, does anyone have a photo of the Stork, an old pub from Cork St?

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/thestork.html

Not a great picture but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

realies wrote: »
    First pub going into the city on the north quays,
    Sarsfield bar , many a day n night I was in there

Would this have been what became the "Cat Dragged Inn" or "Croppie's Acre/Mac Aodha's" (Now "Big's Bar")?

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Sarsfield+Rd,+Dublin/@53.346986,-6.283914,3a,75y,10.2h,74.14t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHRomcb4iUEjVlnHOFm9XMg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670cf82c02343f:0xf80dbb4cdf00a9e5?hl=en

loyatemu wrote: »
    The Aungier House (or Danger House as we students referred to it) opposite the DIT on Aungier St

very cheap pints & a pool table, opposite a college yet hardly any students ever went in as it looked dodgy as all hell - witnessed the odd fight in there but only really between the regulars...

Thanks a million.

It has always bugged me for years what that pub was called. Was long closed when I started out on the road to ruin drinking in Dublin 12/13 years ago.

Neds - Townsend St - still there (I think) but was subject to such an horrific makeover a few years ago that it may as well be gone. The intimate, homely feel was totally swept away for a disastrous Pine Panel finish and the unique stairs to to the toilets were 'fixed' beyond recognition. A real shame

I haven't been there since about 2007. Absolute quality boozer. Shame to hear that.
    I guess you could lump Kennedy's on the Quays into the above too. A real dive bar brimming with atmosphere that's now a fairly bog standard cafe style pub - after the owner promising all and sundry that they wouldn't change the interior after a flood a year or two ago
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Is it changed totally? I used to go in there for the odd one, the toilets were cool. Urinals were like baths standing on their end, big massive things, and the cubicle doors had about an inch thick of paint on it, you could tell they were ancient. Then they changed the jacks to this terrible thing. Normal urinals, but tiles that were left over from a kitchen from the early 90's were used, and obviously put up by someone who did tiling for the first time. Haven't been in there for a few years

Hands down my favourite boozer in Dublin. It was before it got done up and it remains so now. Best stout in the city as well.

Got back from Canada in July after 5 months and I almost cried supping my first one and the subsequent other 3 that went down within an hour.

The main renovations (which was basically the removal of plaster) took nothing from the bar to be honest. Still the same cosy atmosphere. Still the same people calling in. Still the same stout. Still the same mental opening hours.

As an aside the place was destroyed in that flood in 2011. They had to be very careful with the reno as well because the place is listed.

Nothing beats it for my money. Only Frank Ryan's on Queen St or Briody's on Marlborough St come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Here's a question. In the 80's, There was a pub I think around the south end of Grafton Street that was on three floors. There was a white painted basement area, very cramped.

Anyone remember the name?

Are you talking about Rice's on the junction of south kings street?

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Here's a question. In the 80's, There was a pub I think around the south end of Grafton Street that was on three floors. There was a white painted basement area, very cramped.

I have a very vague memory of one on the street too, mid-way I think, near where BT2 is now (I think it had a mock-tudor front). I would imagine there where loads of pubs on Grafton St at one point

septictank wrote: »
    Are you talking about Rice's on the junction of south kings street?

I dont think so....Did it have a basement?

I remember being in there once and it was the night they announced ronald Reagan (the yanks have elected an actor????) had won the US election. Must have been November 1980.

I have a very vague memory of one on the street too, mid-way I think, near where BT2 is now (I think it had a mock-tudor front). I would imagine there where loads of pubs on Grafton St at one point

It was rare to have a lower floor basement area and I think it had a bar area too where you could order. Nicely cleaned up, painted white, a little cavernous and claustrophobic though.

It was kind of back up place for when everywhere else was crowded.

Ah the pre-temple bar days. Its all a blurred memory now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think it's the same place as Big's is now, there are black shutters underneath the Sarsfield apartments which I believe was a bar. Having said that I got that information from a less than reliable source. (As in drunk)

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't think it's the same place as Big's is now, there are black shutters underneath the Sarsfield apartments which I believe was a bar. Having said that I got that information from a less than reliable source. (As in drunk)

There were two bars on those corners as I mentioned. The one on the keft that's now closed was last called "Cat Dragged Inn".

Despite getting the 79 into town until I was 17 and the 25A thereafter I can't remember what it was before it was the CD Inn.

---

Incidentally, whoever that bastard was that put up the pictures of Dublin pubs (http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/image-galleries/digital-collections/dublin-pubs) kept me up 'til all hours this morning. Some serious photos there. And as a youthful wan It's great to see what these buildings were before.
    Ellis and Arran Quay had some serious amount of pubs in the day. Christ on a bike.

I dont think so....Did it have a basement?

I remember being in there once and it was the night they announced ronald Reagan (the yanks have elected an actor????) had won the US election. Must have been November 1980.

I was never in the basement if there was one, I was upstairs but that was in the 70,s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You're not thinking of the International Bar on Wicklow St are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You're not thinking of the International Bar on Wicklow St are you?

Was thinking the same thing. Remember buying cans in the basement bar there in the late 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There were two bars on those corners as I mentioned. The one on the keft that's now closed was last called "Cat Dragged Inn".

Despite getting the 79 into town until I was 17 and the 25A thereafter I can't remember what it was before it was the CD Inn.

---

Incidentally, whoever that bastard was that put up the pictures of Dublin pubs (http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/image-galleries/digital-collections/dublin-pubs) kept me up 'til all hours this morning. Some serious photos there. And as a youthful wan It's great to see what these buildings were before.
    Ellis and Arran Quay had some serious amount of pubs in the day. Christ on a bike.
    Link not working. This one should be OK. http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/image-galleries/digital-collections/dublin-pubs

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

All you've done is caused some other poor soul to stay up all night tonight!

• Advertisement

You can tell a building that was once a pub by the metal cellar doors that still exist in many places. There's a number on Marlborough St and surrounding area. unfortunately most have been removed from pedestrianised streets such as Grafton st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

the peacock lounge on Marlborough street , it's now the admiral restaurant (was briefly bar baltica) ....
    It was responsible for my teen drinking years lol . 17 years ago I had my first pub pint in there.
    the dodgiest pub I've been in apart from finches and full of some hardcore local heads.
    can't find anything on it from the last 20 years though, would love to see some pics from the 90's of the peacock though, no pictures from 1990's online e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Has anyone mentioned Rainbows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hootanany wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Rainbows?

Wasent that a disco bar in the early eighties :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Yes it was a super place Exchequer St

Yes it was a bar, called the Sarsfield , the last owners were an o brian family from Tipperary .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

realies wrote: »
    Yes it was a bar, called the Sarsfield , the last owners were an o brian family from Tipperary .

When did it close? I saw people looking around it recently but to open a pizza place. I don't think they went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

What was the boarded up pub on Aungier street a corner up from the swan? There is an old smithwicks sign still on the wall. its on the corner of digges street upper

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

What was the boarded up pub on Aungier street a corner up from the swan? There is an old smithwicks sign still on the wall. its on the corner of digges street upper

The Aungier House - see my post further up the thread.

• Advertisement

When did it close? I saw people looking around it recently but to open a pizza place. I don't think they went for it.

I am not quite sure but most likely the late eighties as in 88/89/90

This bar the Sarsfield was right on the corner where the croppy acre is and the first apartments start.

Advertisement