Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Correct. I'm pretty sure it was called the Goalpost in 1990. I remember watching England play Cameroon there leading to the immortal chant, "come on you blacks in green".

Even before that I think. I finished a job in the area in 1990 and it was called that for at least a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

The Chinaman is not the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Bambi wrote: »
    The Chinaman is not the issue

Someone peeed on your rug Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Anyone know what the story is with Murray's in Kilmainham?

Had a for sale sign go up a few months ago but still open as normal, closed a few weeks now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Addison Lodge is still there pass it every week. Is Smyths in Fairview gone for good or just renovations?

Was passing by and there was a notice for planning and a bit of activity but now it seems to have dried up.

Also for the younger crowd the Players lounge and Barcode (may it rest in peace) :p

Also Campions beside me, worked there when I was 15 as lounge staff. Getting knocked down and turned into more bloody apartments. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Addison Lodge is still there pass it every week. Is Smyths in Fairview gone for good or just renovations?

Was passing by and there was a notice for planning and a bit of activity but now it seems to have dried up.

Also for the younger crowd the Players lounge and Barcode (may it rest in peace) :p

Also Campions beside me, worked there when I was 15 as lounge staff. Getting knocked down and turned into more bloody apartments. :mad:

Smyths is meant to be being done up by Bru Brewery from Trim. Been closed for a while now.

Barcode is still licenced in the current licence register even though I don't even think the building is still there as was?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

L1011 wrote: »
    Smyths is meant to be being done up by Bru Brewery from Trim. Been closed for a while now.

Barcode is still licenced in the current licence register even though I don't even think the building is still there as was?

Haven't a clue, haven't been in the place since it shut down, just remember that it was always dark no matter the time of day and that mad glass blocked wall that used to change colour. One thing that I saw there and nowhere else since was the bar taps. They didn't have a lever, the staff used to press a button and fill up your pint.

The hideout is long gone now and the sunset house has been renamed the Brendan Beehan and is under new management according to their sign, wonder why :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Does anyone know what's happening with the old Playwright Inn in Blackrock? Did a summer there as a student years ago when it was in full swing. Passed by it not too long ago and not sure if there have been any developments with it since. I think it was the most expensive for a pint at one stage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Became a TGI Fridays then closed down some years after.

Was in the Brendan Behan earlier. It's still a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Shint0 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's happening with the old Playwright Inn in Blackrock? Did a summer there as a student years ago when it was in full swing. Passed by it not too long ago and not sure if there have been any developments with it since. I think it was the most expensive for a pint at one stage.

Passed by it a couple of weeks ago and it's being developed into something.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Became a TGI Fridays then closed down some years after.

Was in the Brendan Behan earlier. It's still a dump.

It is a dump! But it's now a dump that smells of paint. Was in it before the matches last Saturday and had a great pint in it mind you.

---

This thread is awful depressing as you read through it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Is Smyths in Fairview gone for good or just renovations?

Explains why I haven't seen them sponsor a Shels game this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Raven_k42

Is Smyths anything to do with old Coles pub ?. When I was working in Fairview in late 70s...lads went to Gaffney's and the girls went to Cole's. Then all out to Saint's in Howth !!.

Any someone mentioned the Players Lounge...as in the Fairview Inn ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Is Smyths anything to do with old Coles pub ?. When I was working in Fairview in late 70s...lads went to Gaffney's and the girls went to Cole's. Then all out to Saint's in Howth !!.

Yeah I think Coles became Smyths, and part of Coles was the Barony?

Fairview Inn, became the Players Lounge, which has been boarded up since the burglary \ fire incident.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Raven_k42 wrote: »

Smiths used to Coles, same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Hi to all you pub fans!
    I am exhibiting photographs I took of Dublin Public Houses during the 1980s at this year’s Peoples Photographic Exhibition on the 27th / 28th August on St Stephens Green. Many of these pubs have either disappeared completely while others have changed over the years. Among those on display could be your very own favourite pub as it was back in the 1980s.
    My location will be on the East side of St Stephen’s Green at space number E20. I will be there on both days so please do come along and enjoy the show. Joe O’Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Here's a great link on council website for Dublin Bars, probably posted before but what harm

http://www.dublincity.ie/library-galleries1/181

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Dalcassian wrote: »
    Hi to all you pub fans!
    I am exhibiting photographs I took of Dublin Public Houses during the 1980s at this year’s Peoples Photographic Exhibition on the 27th / 28th August on St Stephens Green. Many of these pubs have either disappeared completely while others have changed over the years. Among those on display could be your very own favourite pub as it was back in the 1980s.
    My location will be on the East side of St Stephen’s Green at space number E20. I will be there on both days so please do come along and enjoy the show. Joe O’Brien.
    I Hope The Honeypot is in there.

uch wrote: »
    Here's a great link on council website for Dublin Bars, probably posted before but what harm

http://www.dublincity.ie/library-galleries1/181

I found that inadvertently a few months ago. It's an unbelievable resource.

Even with a fair few of those still open (or renamed and open) you realise how many pubs have gone in the past decades.

Theres around 1000 "pubs" left in Dublin County - counting every hotel bar but not sports clubs - when I've seen figures of 1400 in the city alone in the past. Being able to convert a pub licence to an offo has had a huge impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Fibbers
    The Bridge
    The Royal Oak Finglas
    The System ( Nightclub but loved that place)

Is Club M still going? I remember those Laser Light Shows lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Knine wrote: »

It is indeed, was there for my sins a year ago and it was nearly all hens and stags.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Frequented a pub called The lough and quay in Clondalkin in the 80's, wonderin is it still there?

Triboro wrote: »
    Frequented a pub called The lough and quay in Clondalkin in the 80's, wonderin is it still there?

Nope. The building it was in was demolished. Pub that's there now is called the Waterside.

Been there a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Knine wrote: »
    Fibbers
    The Bridge
    The Royal Oak Finglas
    The System ( Nightclub but loved that place)

Fibbers is still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Cienciano wrote: »
    Fibbers is still going.

There was a second one on the quays owned by the same group.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    There was a second one on the quays owned by the same group.

Gone a few years too. Was previously a cafe bar called the "The Blue Duck" and a gay bar called "Out on the Liffey".

My old bus stop was outside and for the life of me I can't remember what the pub was originally called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Triboro wrote: »

Did you leave with a full set of teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Did you leave with a full set of teeth?

Indeed I did!
    Never thought it was too bad but that was back in the rookie years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

TheBlock wrote: »
    A couple I used to frequent in the 80's 90's in the south inner city...

The Magnet - Pearse Steet was a great early shop with a mixture of Locals, Dockers, Postmen and Ringsends hiding. Great for a game of Pool changed it's name to the Widow Scanlons and then became a spar which closed. Terrible waste.

Kelly's on John Rogersons Quay - Right beside the Gasometer another one full of dockers and messers. Used to be frequented by the travellers that camped on Misery Hill. Great spot, I remember mister Kelly ****ing the telly in the liffey when an argument broke out about what was to be watched and this was when telly where expensive. Used to let his massive alsatian roam around the bar and scare the ****e out of everyone.

Conattys in City Quay another great pub form a pint on the way down to Kelly's after collecting the scartcher in Tara street back in the 80's.

I was in Kelly's a couple of times. And I was told he tore the public phone off the wall and threw it through the window after some guy asked him for change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Hi all, I'm back again looking for information on another long gone public house. It was situated along the south bank of the canal going east from Harold's Cross Bridge. I think it was called "The Grove". It was the last building before Cathal Bruagh Barracks and was actually built against the wall of the barracks. It sat a bit back from the road.
    I would love to see any photos of it.
    Hoping for help here.
    Joe

Advertisement