Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Embankment looks like it was last refurbished in 1974. It was probably the case too. When it was thriving it must have been miles from anywhere - Tallaght had begun developing but wasn't anywhere near the Embankment back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Embankment looks like it was last refurbished in 1974. It was probably the case too. When it was thriving it must have been miles from anywhere - Tallaght had begun developing but wasn't anywhere near the Embankment back then.

IIRC, it was still open (although not its heyday) in the early 80s when a fair bit of modern Tallaght was built. Passed it the other day and it looked like there was some work going on there.

In the same area, I also noticed somebody has bought the Blue Gardenia (formerly Brittas Inn).

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Addison lodge closed yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

JupiterKid wrote: »

AFAIK the embankment was a 'bona fide' pub back in the day, as was the Blue Gardenia!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This may be suitable for this thread - I've spent an altogether ridiculously long amount of time going through Revenue licence files (thanks to their statistics department for giving me 7 years worth of old ones) to map out every pub that was licenced during that time. There's a potential for places to not appear due to renewing very late in the year though and I've probably missed some too as I did it manually - Google Maps street numbering is crap.

Colours were more for helping me do it than any use for anyone else - red are off the register and closed; yellow are off the register and open (this does not mean they're not licenced!); blue are on the register but I know at least 40 of those are closed and a few don't do on-sales anymore.

Anyone finds somewhere open or closed this decade missing let me know and I'll try figure out why its not there

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1btE7QON3xiz9-qM9RNtWJi5kVZM&usp=sharing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

The Tolka house on botanic rd/ glasnevin hill is missing? nice place so surprised at that, It's a good place.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Whilst The 19th on the Malahide Rd. is closed a good few years but now the whole building is gone. Levelled.

Wonder what's going in it's place?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭septictank

There's a few Gaa clubs missing that I know off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My one and only time in the Embankment was for the Mexico game at the '94 World Cup. It's only a vague memory as I was 9 but the place was rammed. I do remember being confused as hell how Mexico won the game after hearing a lot of "you'll never beat the Irish" being sung.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

septictank wrote: »
    There's a few Gaa clubs missing that I know of
    Registered clubs don't need a liquor licence to serve alcohol AFAIK so wouldn't show up on a Revenue list.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Anyone finds somewhere open or closed this decade missing let me know and I'll try figure out why its not there

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1btE7QON3xiz9-qM9RNtWJi5kVZM&usp=sharing

Nice work! Thanks for moving Peggy Kelly's to the near side of Harold's Cross Park: that's much handier for me.

While Coman's in Rathgar is closed, the Bottler's Bank which is part of it is still trading and I assume uses the same licence.

Skatedude wrote: »
    The Tolka house on botanic rd/ glasnevin hill is missing? nice place so surprised at that, It's a good place.

It's there (and I didn't sneak it in after it being mentioned)
    septictank wrote: »
    There's a few Gaa clubs missing that I know off.

They're not licenced as such - no central register. Also very many won't allow non-members in without sign-in.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Nice work! Thanks for moving Peggy Kelly's to the near side of Harold's Cross Park: that's much handier for me.

Oops :o Will sort.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    While Coman's in Rathgar is closed, the Bottler's Bank which is part of it is still trading and I assume uses the same licence.

Will investigate. Coman's licence has been AWOL off the register for years but Revenue confirmed that last day (October 31st I believe) renewals don't appear so if they are regularly renewing late in the day they'll vanish.

Using a rake of sources (threads on here, etc) and now having done A-H in the 1986 Thoms Directory I've got about 200 pubs that closed down at some point from the 1950s to 2010 added. I'll probably give up soon as its getting monotonous now... Also added former names where I've come across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

italodisco wrote: »
    The Peacock , it was under marlboro street carpark on the corner, its now a russian restaurant called Admiral.....

Jesus it was dodgy but some buzz.

I was in there one night when 2 detectives along with two uniform walked in , place went silent and everyone stood up and staired at them until they left lol

Sureal

Told this story by the old man years ago, a certain breakaway republican group used to meet in there back in the 70s. Anyway a young "undercover" guard was left outside on surveillance one night in the hammering rain. One of the groups gets cheesed off with this and stamps outside across the road and barks at the guard to come in out of the rain instead of standing there like an eejit getting soaked. Cover blown, the guard sheepishly enters and sits in a corner with his notebook for the rest of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭BandMember

The Embankment, the Brittas Inn and Polly hops

Whatever happened to The Embankment and The Polly Hops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

BandMember wrote: »

The embankment was a huge & very poplar pub back in the 80,s, Huge ballad sessions and all the big bands of the day played there, Think it also did weddings at one point. I don't really know when it started to go downhill but properly late 80,s early 90,s, The drink driving laws surely effected it as it was out there by its own.

Polly hops as far as I no used to be called the happy brig back in the 70,s, it was a bar outside the city limits and we went out to it on many occasions, think maybe new drinking driving laws were the ruin of that to.(not saying there wrong)

BandMember wrote: »

Enbankment was killed by drink driving laws. Polly Hops burned down, pretty final end. The Enbankment is still licenced.

Coicidentally (considering the Peacock post above), the Enbankment was also a favoured Official IRA drinking spot in the 70s due to its relatively rural situation. Don't think there was ever any trouble from it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Polly Hops burned to the ground a good few years ago. Only managed to darken its door once. As said above, drink driving laws put paid to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Although the Brazen Head has not closed it is totally different from what it was when I frequented it. There was one small bar, which only served bottled beer, no food, and the whiff from the gents' jax would fell a horse (worse in the summer). The place was run by a Mrs Cooney from Donegal, who had a tabby cat called Brandy which sat on the bar and a dog called Soda. There was an ancient desk there said to have been owned by Robert Emmet on which people threw motorbike helmets and bags.

New signage has Mother Kelly's called "74 Talbot". Very different target market clearly!

Molloys is repainted outside so I imagine both will be open soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

L1011 wrote:
    New signage has Mother Kelly's called "74 Talbot". Very different target market clearly!

L1011 wrote:
    Molloys is repainted outside so I imagine both will be open soon.

Molloys is reopening next week.

I wonder if Mother Kellys will attract the locals back in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Not a chance the locals will be welcomed back to Mother Kelly's. Did they even put a second's thought into giving it that new name though? (I mean besides it being boringly unoriginal to use the street and number) It might piss off a lot of people to see Matt Talbot's name attached to a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sabat wrote: »
    Not a chance the locals will be welcomed back to Mother Kelly's. Did they even put a second's thought into giving it that new name though? (I mean besides it being boringly unoriginal to use the street and number) It might piss off a lot of people to see Matt Talbot's name attached to a pub.

I wasn't really aware of who he was, but yeah it seems inappropriate (though there's already a nearby restaurant called 101 Talbot, same owners?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Hmmm, after double checking I was actually mistaken. I had always assumed the street was named for him because of its proximity to the bridge and his close association with the area. Still an instantly forgettable bland hipster confection of a name though...
    The street is named after Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 2nd Earl Talbot, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1817-21

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talbot_Street

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It appears Nealon's of Capel Street is closing at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭weshtawake

Anyone remember the Man of Arran on Arran Quay not far from Heuston. It was run by a Galwayman Frank Cooney.
    Mighty place when Galway were playing in Croker - esp the hurling. You could have Frankie Gavin and a crowd playing in the corner.
    In it's latter years it burned down and looked derelict but a shove of the door and Aladdin's Cave reopened - it would be packed inside!!
    Great memories

Birneybau wrote: »
    It appears Nealon's of Capel Street is closing at the end of the month.

Are they going to leave none of my semi-regular pubs in the city open? First the Sackville...

If anyone goes NEAR Brew Dock or Graingers, I'll be hunting them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Reid

Bambi wrote: »
    Told this story by the old man years ago, a certain breakaway republican group used to meet in there back in the 70s. Anyway a young "undercover" guard was left outside on surveillance one night in the hammering rain. One of the groups gets cheesed off with this and stamps outside across the road and barks at the guard to come in out of the rain instead of standing there like an eejit getting soaked. Cover blown, the guard sheepishly enters and sits in a corner with his notebook for the rest of the night
    Inla

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Billy Reid wrote: »
    Inla

Nope, not that it matters

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Are they going to leave none of my semi-regular pubs in the city open?
    Clearly you aren't drinking enough.

Advertisement