Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Noticed today (because of stories online about a mural on the side of it) that the Barley Mow on Francis Street is up for sale:

http://news.cbre.ie/francis-street-redevelopment-opportunity

They're being VERY generous with the use of the word 'restore' because most of the building disappeared somewhere between the 2009 and 2014 Streetview passes. It does still have a licence though!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Mouseslayer17

The blacker in coolock

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The blacker in coolock

Good riddance.. Oh, and I think you're mistaking 'famous' with 'infamous'.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Mouseslayer17

Good riddance.. Oh, and I think you're mistaking 'famous' with 'infamous'.

Its all a matter of taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

L1011 wrote: »
    Noticed today (because of stories online about a mural on the side of it) that the Barley Mow on Francis Street is up for sale:

http://news.cbre.ie/francis-street-redevelopment-opportunity

They're being VERY generous with the use of the word 'restore' because most of the building disappeared somewhere between the 2009 and 2014 Streetview passes. It does still have a licence though!

The Banyo up from it has been up for sale for ages at this rate - probably still with a license.

With the Tivoli Backstage, Liberty Belle and newly opened The Jug already on Francis St. And with Fallons at one end of Francis St and Kennedys and The Thomas House at the other - no one in their right mind would open either of the places up as a pub at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The Sackville Lounge is on the way apparently. Sunrise sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Has Molloy's on Talbot Street closed or is it just having a refurb?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Collie D wrote: »

One of the windows has been broken and badly repaired for ages so it has looked closed when not. Haven't been down this week, though. Google doesn't show much for it closing but does show a 2015 food safety order and a 2016 court case for showing dodgy Sky!

Mother Kellys was closed and sold recently, don't think its reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

L1011 wrote: »

Mother Kellys was closed and sold recently, don't think its reopened.

It will soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Collie D wrote: »

Refurb, new paint on it last week when I passed and plenty going on inside too. Not sure when it's being reopened!

It will soon

Refurb work going on today in both mother Kelly's and Molloys

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

The Sackville Lounge is on the way apparently. Sunrise sunset.

Yep last night this Sunday .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Yep last night this Sunday .

What? Why? The trade in this pub always seemed to be holding up reasonably well. Another great pub about to bite the dust.

Lease expiry

That's absolutely shocking stuff. I need ti get in before it goes so. Love that spot. Great haunt before matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Definitely seems to be an upswing in pubs opening/reopening compared to the closures of a few years ago. I keep an eye on the licence register figures - I've an indefinite end-date aim of drinking (something, won't be booze in some) in every pub in Dublin - and even counting for pubs randomly appearing that have been open all along its trending upwards by three or four a month in the county. February's list is out today so I'll see what the current status is

edit: Absolutely none this month. One open pub which wasn't in any previous files I'd compared (back to July '16) but that's dependent on when the licence is renewed.

January was a little more typical though - all the months are on here: http://everypubindublin.blogspot.ie/2017/01/january-2017-licence-update.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

loyatemu wrote: »

Was this called Lynch's back in the 1990's??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Some money behind Press Up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dats_right wrote: »
    What? Why? The trade in this pub always seemed to be holding up reasonably well. Another great pub about to bite the dust.

I always liked that place for a toasted sandwich while shopping. I suppose they needed more than oul' ones and toasted cheese and ham to keep going. Pity.

Was this called Lynch's back in the 1990's??

Are you confusing it with Lynch's The Swan further down at the York St junction? An absolute cast iron gem of a boozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Swan is a cracker of a pub alright, I was accused of almost ruining my brothers wedding because he got married in whitefriars and I decided to nip into the swan for a swift one before throw in. Every one else who arrived saw me across the road in there and wandered over for a jar. We wound being run out of the place by an irate friend of the bride :o

JJ's is gone now too I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

@BonnieSituation...yes I was,thanks for the reply.

Ah JJ's,back in the late 80's I used to go there to see the Mary Stokes Blue's Band!!I hate seeing all these pub's closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

The Embankment, the Brittas Inn and Polly hops

@BonnieSituation...yes I was,thanks for the reply.

Ah JJ's,back in the late 80's I used to go there to see the Mary Stokes Blue's Band!!I hate seeing all these pub's closing.

No bother. I can't have a man be steered wrong.

---

Popped into the Sackville with a buddy for a couple there tonight. It's actually a scandal that there's no heritage value in stopping its closure.

The pint of stout I got was one for the ages. Glorious.

I'll try get in on Sunday before I head out for the super bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

Is the sackville actually closed yet does anyone know? I spent many a good night in there. I think I'll shoot into town tonight in the hope of getting a pint.

It's closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

Didn't read all the thread but Kitty O'Sheas, don't know if it got a mention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

The Addison Lodge in glasnevin closed today.
    It was sold in 2006 for redevelopment but the market crashed and so the redevelopment was put on hold until the market picks back up.

It had been operating on a month to month basis for the last while, but unfortunately the landlord wanted to change it to a year contract with conditions the current tenants simply couldn't meet.
    Unfortunately there was also a number of permanent residents living there who had been given less than a day to vacate.

It has full planing permission for a smaller pub and restaurant with 15 town houses which will probably suit the current market better, but it will be sad to see it go.

Advertisement