Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

L1011 wrote: »
    Are they going to leave none of my semi-regular pubs in the city open? First the Sackville...

If anyone goes NEAR Brew Dock or Graingers, I'll be hunting them down.

I preferred the Brew Dock when it was Kates Cottage (Graingers is a nice spot alright), hopefully they've replaced all the staff in Molloys, service with a scowl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Birneybau wrote: »
    It appears Nealon's of Capel Street is closing at the end of the month.

Good Jesus this city is dying.

When Kennedy's became the *spits* The Workshop in 2014 I thought to myself "At least I have the Sackville, Frank Ryan's, The Swan, Rea's, Hartigan's and Briody's to give me top-notch stout and comfort. But no where is safe it seems if Nealon's is getting shuttered.

The closure of the Sackville is criminal and given it's to do with that Clery's shower ever moreso.
    Are they going to leave none of my semi-regular pubs in the city open? First the Sackville...

If anyone goes NEAR Brew Dock or Graingers, I'll be hunting them down.

Never a fan of Graingers, Am more of a Cleary's man tbh.

Brew Dock is better than anything that has been in that building since I could legally order a porter or IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When Kennedy's became the *spits* The Workshop in 2014 I thought to myself "At least I have the Sackville, Frank Ryan's, Rea's, Hartigan's and Briody's to give me top-notch stout and comfort. But no where is safe it seems if Nealon's is getting shuttered.

The closure of the Sackville is criminal and given it's to do with that Clery's shower ever moreso.

The Clery's shower own Briodys (building + licence)...

Its not going to be affected in the first stage of works that have planning anyway - specifically called out as untouched but "owned by applicant".

The Clery's shower own Briodys (building + licence)...

Its not going to be affected in the first stage of works that have planning anyway - specifically called out as untouched but "owned by applicant".

Yeah, I knew that. It pains me to think it will go the way of the Sackville. Is there any heritage rules that can be implemented for keeping certain bars outside of listing (The Swan).

Not in Ireland. Wouldn't be a chance in hell of getting Briodys "building" listed either, what little building there actually is - taking the upper floors off was a rates trick in the 60s that I assume was done for it.

UK now has the ability to list a building - nearly all are pubs - as having community value and require it to be offered as a going concern at market value should the owner want out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Is it becoming almost passé to have a pub with an Irish family name these days? All these closures and rebranding of established names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Buckfast W wrote: »
    I preferred the Brew Dock when it was Kates Cottage (Graingers is a nice spot alright), hopefully they've replaced all the staff in Molloys, service with a scowl :D

I'm old enough to remember when Kate's Cottage was Kenny's (in the 1990s) and was an early morning house. Pubs struggled on that corner. There was a ferocious number of what were described at the time to me as "touchers", people touching you to buy them pints. I vaguely recall there being another name for it before Kennys.

About 30 metres away from Kennys, on another corner of Store Street, was a pub called Keatings (I think it's called Robert Reade's today).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember when Kate's Cottage was Kenny's (in the 1990s) and was an early morning house.
    I remember it as The Master Mariner in the mid-'90s. I was in it for a 7.30am pint once, and wasn't keen to repeat the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

BeerNut wrote: »
    I remember it as The Master Mariner in the mid-'90s. I was in it for a 7.30am pint once, and wasn't keen to repeat the experience.

And you call yourself BeerNut! :P

It was the Master Mariner in 1980 an 1986 (Thoms Directorys) so is there a chance you're thinking of somewhere else from the memories? Every possibility it was run by someone called Kennys though; plenty of pubs take the owner/operator name instead of the "real" name.

Robert Reade's was Keatings in both cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

aye, that was mentioned above.

The licence for the Five Lamps was dropped off the register this month - possibly sold on or an administrative error for whatever redev work was planned there. How long is that closed?

This is now a Sue Ryder charity shop, so it ain't coming back...

The Hideout in Drumcondra has reopened after half a decade or more, heard rumours that it had with little online confirming for certain so I wandered in this evening.

This is now a Sue Ryder charity shop, so it ain't coming back...

The Hideout in Drumcondra has reopened after half a decade or more, heard rumours that it had with little online confirming for certain so I wandered in this evening.

Haven't lived in that part of town in a few years. Didn't even realise it was closed.

My last memory is watching the Leinster-Munster H Cup SF there The one that was on in Croker.

Might make it my championship haunt this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Mother Redcaps, another fantastic place for trad music and it wasn't unusual for Christy Moore to play in there even though he could fill out the Point for a week at the same time of his career. Better still were the seisiúin, my favourite being the Sunday morning one which would allow people from all over the world to get up (or stay sitting) and sing traditional/folk songs from their own countries. You could see by the expressions on the tourists that the place created enormous positivity and goodwill towards Ireland. On Tuesday 5 July 2005 Mother Redcaps' finally closed according to this, having been on that site since 1760.

Mother Redcaps, which is directly opposite the headquarters of An Taisce in Tailors' Hall on Back Lane, is just a derelict building now, badly in need of maintenance on heritage grounds alone.

Just on this, over on The Irish Times website Ciarán Cuffe is advocating that DCC step in and take back the Iveagh Markets, which according to this article includes Mother Redcaps. Surely the developer has had more than adequate time to get his act together. DCC is far too slow in dealing with people leaving these eyesores derelict when they could be sensitively developed to make Dublin look much better.
    In 2012, he secured a five-year extension of planning permission, which is about to expire, to redevelop the market, along with the former music venue Mother Redcaps, and a number of surrounding houses, as a hotel, restaurant and food market complex...

Call for Iveagh Markets to be returned to Dublin City Council: Hotelier Martin Keane’s planning permission – granted in 2007 – is running out

Would be great to see Mother Redcaps back open again as the sawdust-covered, character-filled tavern heaving with a trad-folk buzz that it used to be.

I can't see Mother Redcaps reopening as anything like what it was - the building will have suffered badly in the time it has been shut and the potential audience will have moved on

On a similar topic, redev work that's actually likely to go ahead is going to subsume Matt's of Cabra (closed for a while) and either close or totally change the Long Stone, Neds and Howl at the Moon

The Big Tree is also likely to lose most of its floor area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Hardly a "famous" Dublin pub but I see Rosie O'Grady's in Harolds Cross is shut for the last few weeks.

ollaetta wrote: »
    Hardly a "famous" Dublin pub but I see Rosie O'Grady's in Harolds Cross is shut for the last few weeks.

Another pub up for redev; although I don't know if that's why its closed now and the plans were for it to stay a pub on the ground floor at least

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/short-stay-rental-group-eyes-rosie-o-grady-site-in-harold-s-cross-1.2816031

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Think it's completely gone now for the short stay apartments - my mate ended up with a nice sign for his bedroom on the closing night :D

Decent enough list of well known (and less well known) pubs with their licences not renewed (not applied for realistically) in the last year for various reasons; annual licencing court was two weeks ago now.

Enbankment in Saggart - planning looked for for a nursing home
    Bridge Inn in Crumlin - going to be knocked down for an extension to Maxol
    Tuning Fork in Rathfarnham - going to be a funeral home
    Burn nightclub in Stillorgan
    Paidi Ogs in Mulhuddart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭useeme

Enbankment in Saggart

I remember being in a "disco/nightclub" there in the 80's. It was called Lakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

useeme wrote: »
    I remember being in a "disco/nightclub" there in the 80's. It was called Lakes

Don't forget 'The Blue Banana' in Clondalkin. A classy joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Donal55 wrote: »
    Don't forget 'The Blue Banana' in Clondalkin. A classy joint.

the blue banana..... went to a work night out there back in the day and I had my hair searched before they let me in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

carolmon wrote: »
    the blue banana..... went to a work night out there back in the day and I had my hair searched before they let me in :)

A feckin mad place. Great craic . Oh to be young again.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭edireland

Pier house howth

Great pub😆

Pier house howth

Nice pub.

Long Stone is under imminent threat of closure. Building owner claims the lease expired two weeks ago and is not renewing, tenant is taking the case to court. Plan is to knock and use the licence for a new premises in the replacement Apollo house

Conway's, Parnell St.

So sad to see it closed nowadays. Great old fashioned bar.

I went there before dancing in Parnell Sq for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Long Stone is under imminent threat of closure. Building owner claims the lease expired two weeks ago and is not renewing, tenant is taking the case to court. Plan is to knock and use the licence for a new premises in the replacement Apollo house

I dont understand why it needs to be demolished. Its a cute looking little building which I presume is relatively old. The hawkins apollo site is already absolutely massive does it need to demolish further buildings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Long Stone isn’t even that old a pub, it only opened in the 90s when I was in college. No need to knock the building, it’s old and has some value.

Advertisement