Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Speaking of Dorset Street, anybody remember the Meeting Place? There used to be good trad seisiúin there also, but I only noticed from glancing at the inlay sleeve a few years ago that the superb Live in Dublin album by Christy Moore, Jimmy Faulkner & Dónal Lunny was partly recorded there in 1978 (this is the album with the incomparable version of The Boys of Barr na Sráide on it).

Can't find a photo of it either but it was painted red for years, and was on a corner of Upper Dorset Street (the far side of the street to Maye's). I think it was here, where a pub named Delahunty's is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Speaking of Dorset Street, anybody remember the Meeting Place? There used to be good trad seisiúin there also, but I only noticed from glancing at the inlay sleeve a few years ago that the superb Live in Dublin album by Christy Moore, Jimmy Faulkner & Dónal Lunny was partly recorded there in 1978 (this is the album with the incomparable version of The Boys of Barr na Sráide on it).

Can't find a photo of it either but it was painted red for years, and was on a corner of Upper Dorset Street (the far side of the street to Maye's). I think it was here, where a pub named Delahunty's is now.
    My sister used to work there! I was always very jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

The Wexford Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

(O/T but does anyone else remember Stein Opticians holding out till the very very VERY last minute, while the whole neighbourhood was knocked down around them :D)

This post from a little while back should be helpful. There's a link at the bottom of the post that gives more information about the opticians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

gaiscioch wrote: »

It used to be called splillans, you'd get served with your school bag on your back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I remember Toast in Rathmines being a little pub called The Lancer. Also near it (where the apartment complex and shops are now) was a gigs place called Banjos? Also Roddy Bolands was called Streets back then (80s).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mahaffy's on Pearse St was a great boozer. Now sadly replaced with the insipid Lomdard Bar.

Back in the day there was a great mix of locals (who were probably barred from The Windjammer), Trinity students, commuters waiting for trains, etc. The manager was a stout camp gent with an awful wig who had great one-liners to put down any uppity customers. Jim was his next in command. A long suffering professional bar man who was a real gentleman.

They used to do carvery lunches & I remember sitting next to Howard Jones one day (he was probably recording in Windmill Lane at the time). Both of us having gone for pints of stout with our bacon, cabbage & potatoes with parsley sauce.

Strangely enough, I 'ejected' Howard's brother Paul from The Bricklayer's Arms in High Wycombe several years later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

And another one nearby that I remember was the Charlotte Inn - the whole bloomin' street is gone now, never mind the pub!

Charlotte Way used to run up the middle of the block where the Bleeding Horse and Camden Court Hotel are now.

(O/T but does anyone else remember Stein Opticians holding out till the very very VERY last minute, while the whole neighbourhood was knocked down around them :D)

Gleesons too was a great spot on a Friday evening back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

anncoates wrote: »
    I remember Toast in Rathmines being a little pub called The Lancer. Also near it (where the apartment complex and shops are now) was a gigs place called Banjos? Also Roddy Bolands was called Streets back then (80s).

Oh my goodness, now you're REALLY bringing me back! That was my secondary-school stomping ground.

The Lancer was a "meh" little pub, don't remember too much about it. Banjo's was a pool hall - not sure if that's the place you're actually thinking of as I'm fairly sure it wasn't a pub - but we "went to evening mass" there every Sunday for about five years. I became quite the pool shark on the back of it!

Streets came into being in my time and was fierce trendy, it used to be The Concorde before that, which was a sticky-carpets total kip. But was the only place in the whole area (and possibly the southside of the city!) that opened on St. Stephen's Day at the time. And it still wasn't worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was there a Berminghams on Parnell Street too? Just up from the Welcome Inn? I'm sure I remember being brought there by my da before matches around 1980 or 81.

Also in the early 90s wasn't there a sheebeen place called the Thornbush on the same street?

The Welcome Inn was a great boozer, well for pure oddness sake. Mix of locals and art students and normal students. Did it close for a few years and then re-open? Remember being in there after one of the rugby matches in Croker and went there a few times after. Closed again now or at least it was a few months ago when I looked at popping in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

MacPherson's on Pearse St was a great boozer. Now sadly replaced with the insipid Lomdard Bar.

Back in the day there was a great mix of locals (who were probably barred from The Windjammer), Trinity students, commuters waiting for trains, etc. The manager was a stout camp gent with an awful wig who had great one-liners to put down any uppity customers. Jim was his next in command. A long suffering professional bar man who was a real gentleman.

They used to do carvery lunches & I remember sitting next to Howard Jones one day (he was probably recording in Windmill Lane at the time). Both of us having gone for pints of stout with our bacon, cabbage & potatoes with parsley sauce.

Strangely enough, I 'ejected' Howard's brother Paul from The Bricklayer's Arms in High Wycombe several years later. :)
    Would this be the same Jim that then went on to run it's later incarnation as Mahaffys?

Great place, and an absolutely lovely man. Used go there a lot in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

richardjjd wrote: »
    Don't remember the Charlotte Inn, but I do remember the Falcon, which is where The Bleeding Horse is now.

Here's a pic of the Falcon Inn with Charlotte Street behind: 059-falcon-inn

Edit: sorry, poxy pic isn't loading. It's number 59 in the the following archive.

Loads more pics here courtesy of DCC Public Libraries: Dublin Pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Crash wrote: »
    Would this be the same Jim that then went on to run it's later incarnation as Mahaffys?

Great place, and an absolutely lovely man. Used go there a lot in college.
    I feel like a right dick now. :o Yeah, Mahaffy's not McPherson's. Doh! Am getting old. Will edit earlier post. Thanks Crash!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I feel like a right dick now. :o Yeah, Mahaffy's not McPherson's. Doh! Am getting old. Will edit earlier post. Thanks Crash!

That place used to be O'Dwyers's.

They did a nice carvery in the 80s.

Oh my goodness, now you're REALLY bringing me back! That was my secondary-school stomping ground.

The Lancer was a "meh" little pub, don't remember too much about it. Banjo's was a pool hall - not sure if that's the place you're actually thinking of as I'm fairly sure it wasn't a pub - but we "went to evening mass" there every Sunday for about five years. I became quite the pool shark on the back of it!

Streets came into being in my time and was fierce trendy, it used to be The Concorde before that, which was a sticky-carpets total kip. But was the only place in the whole area (and possibly the southside of the city!) that opened on St. Stephen's Day at the time. And it still wasn't worth it :D

Almost certain I went to a gig in banjos around 88 or 89 so perhaps it was an earlier or later incarnation of the place.

The Lancer was just an old boy boozer that would have been the size of the front section of Toast. Think Toast was called the station for a bit too.

Can anybody remember what the Dice Bar on Benburb / Queen street was years ago? I actually lived in a squatted building for a little while around there up towards the museum.

And while we're at it:

Fox and Pheasant

Pink Elephant

And OK, not a pub but the Coffee Inn on South Anne Street to continue chatting up any wan you'd met in Bartley Dunnes....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Think Toast was called the station for a bit too.
    Yep. Mid-to-late '90s at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

A couple I used to frequent in the 80's 90's in the south inner city...

The Magnet - Pearse Steet was a great early shop with a mixture of Locals, Dockers, Postmen and Ringsends hiding. Great for a game of Pool changed it's name to the Widow Scanlons and then became a spar which closed. Terrible waste.

Kelly's on John Rogersons Quay - Right beside the Gasometer another one full of dockers and messers. Used to be frequented by the travellers that camped on Misery Hill. Great spot, I remember mister Kelly ****ing the telly in the liffey when an argument broke out about what was to be watched and this was when telly where expensive. Used to let his massive alsatian roam around the bar and scare the ****e out of everyone.

Conattys in City Quay another great pub form a pint on the way down to Kelly's after collecting the scartcher in Tara street back in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

TheBlock wrote: »
    Kelly's on John Rogersons Quay - Right beside the Gasometer another one full of dockers and messers. Used to be frequented by the travellers that camped on Misery Hill. Great spot, I remember mister Kelly ****ing the telly in the liffey when an argument broke out about what was to be watched and this was when telly where expensive. Used to let his massive alsatian roam around the bar and scare the ****e out of everyone.

Hehe, Jaysus I forgot about the dog in Kelly's, Mr. kelly was a Gent, I used to do a bit of work on the South Docks every friday afternoon and end up in there from about 3pm, several Pints and a big Fat Tayto & Batch sambo FOC, then I'd have to drive the van back to Sandyford and let on that it was the sun that had me looking flushed.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

And someone ask him for change for the pay phone ,
    He said "do you think this is a fu@;/-g phone box", and pulled it of the wall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

The Evora & The Lighthouse in Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

And OK, not a pub but the Coffee Inn on South Anne Street to continue chatting up any wan you'd met in Bartley Dunnes....

What! Bartley Dunnes was a gay pub...anncoates, back in the late 70s/early 80s, back when it was illegal. (Just remembered you're a man yourself, panic over!)
    TheBlock wrote: »
    The Magnet - Pearse Steet was a great early shop with a mixture of Locals, Dockers, Postmen and Ringsends hiding. Great for a game of Pool changed it's name to the Widow Scanlons and then became a spar which closed. Terrible waste..

The Magnet was great for gigs. U2 did one there.

What! Bartley Dunnes was a gay pub...anncoates, .

Most gay friendly pubs in Dublin years ago were generally bohemian/student haunts too by their nature although Barts wasn't really a gay pub in my era (mid 80s to when it shut down around 89 or 90): more an alternative hangout with all sorts: cureheads, bikers, goths, indies etc.

Great article here on Bartleys actually:

http://comeheretome.com/2013/10/06/rices-bartley-dunnes-dublins-first-gay-friendly-bars/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

babaracus wrote: »
    The Blacker is still going but called something else now. Liz Delaney's I think. Painted a gaudy godawful colour on the outside. I have not been brave enough to sample its internal delights in the last 10 years.

On the OP: Berminghams on Dorset St seems to be closed the last couple of years. Was in there about 2009 after a game in Croker and it had not been done up since about 1960, stank like hell and had barstaff who may well have served their apprenticeship while we were still under British rule. It had character and characters though.
    No way! Birminghams is closed? Great interior in that pub. Proper old school pub.
    The Castle in Finglas was great.
    Also is "the Blacker" in Coolock still open?

ah those were the days-a simpler time when bouncers were needed during the day.
    Have never heard The Castle described as "great". Strange looking pub, still there but the site is just derelict.
    2 other pubs not a million miles away, The Northway House in Finglas and The Royal Oak.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Dockers! Always waiting for someone to fall through the trap door!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The Napper Tandy - Bride St - was in it sometime in the mid 2000's before it was demolished to be replaced with.... nothing. It was a small, weird place

The Jute - Aungier St - (Now part of Capitol) - was one of Dublin's first 'hip' bars, late 90's I think - was one of the first bars that I went to that didn't play chart/contemporary music (other than rock bars like Whelans)

Neds - Townsend St - still there (I think) but was subject to such an horrific makeover a few years ago that it may as well be gone. The intimate, homely feel was totally swept away for a disastrous Pine Panel finish and the unique stairs to to the toilets were 'fixed' beyond recognition. A real shame

I guess you could lump Kennedy's on the Quays into the above too. A real dive bar brimming with atmosphere that's now a fairly bog standard cafe style pub - after the owner promising all and sundry that they wouldn't change the interior after a flood a year or two ago

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

And another one nearby that I remember was the Charlotte Inn - the whole bloomin' street is gone now, never mind the pub!

Charlotte Way used to run up the middle of the block where the Bleeding Horse and Camden Court Hotel are now.

A truly remarkable story.

Full story here:

http://comeheretome.com/2012/03/27/stein-opticians/

And more snaps:

http://comeheretome.com/2013/03/19/stein-opticians-update/

Unfortunately Steins closed for good last December:

http://comeheretome.com/2013/12/31/stein-opticians-has-closed-its-doors/

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Not a pub but an off-licence: Jack Carvill's on Camden St. Had a special licence so stayed open half an hour longer than any other offie - until that stupid law restricting off-sale hours. (Stupid, because it was supposed to reduce alcoholism :rolleyes: while at the same time more and more places got licences to sell booze - and as if restrictions on hours had ever done anything to prevent alcohol abuse!)

• Advertisement

Most gay friendly pubs in Dublin years ago were generally bohemian/student haunts too by their nature

C'est moi! (modestly blushes) cough!

Advertisement