Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Not famous but I used to love Life in the Irish Life Centre. Mainly because I worked over it. Then it became Floridita. I mean it is so obvious to have a Cuban bar that doesn't serve beer on Abbey Street. My favourite memory is meeting some friends on the 4th floor balcony where you had to ring the staff for service. The bar of my late 20s. I practically own half it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Four seasons Bolton Street, good traditional Irish singing pub

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stoner wrote: »

Where was that?

Beerhouse or further up past the Kings inn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Stoner wrote: »

[IMG][/img]149_Four_Seasons_Inn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Beerhouse as is now.

• Advertisement

Some great stuff to be found on the RTÉ Archive. Happened across this earlier: http://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/1003/478140-the-proud-irish-tradition-of-drink/

0007f177-622.jpg

Baggot Mooney on Baggot St. Now a Permanent TSB. I always assume banks generally were banks never saw a pub turn into a bank before.

chinwag wrote: »
    "never saw a pub turn into a bank before."

The Bank on College Green is another ;)[/QUOTE]

That was a Bank that turned into a pub... Keep up son. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chinwag

Apologies Bonnie, will count to ten next time! Good photo above.

This one of the Bailey is even more impressive given how it looks now:

0007f16d-622.jpg

Some great stuff to be found on the RTÉ Archive. Happened across this earlier: http://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/1003/478140-the-proud-irish-tradition-of-drink/

0007f177-622.jpg

Baggot Mooney on Baggot St. Now a Permanent TSB. I always assume banks generally were banks never saw a pub turn into a bank before.

Two of the Mooney chain became PTSB branches at different times

http://dublinghostsigns.com/mooney-co-dublin-1-dublin-ghost-signs/

The other way around is definitely the more common one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

ollaetta wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]149_Four_Seasons_Inn.jpg

great pic, thanks.
    there's loads on DCC websites.
    This is the early 1960's I'm guessing. Would love to walk into the photo and walk down left on to Capel Street and on to Parliament Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I don't know if you could class it as famous, but the early house Ned's on Townsend Street (recently known as the Townsend Bar) closed it's doors a month or so ago.  From the corner down to the office block (including the Advance Pitstop) are all being demolished to make way for a hotel/restaurants/apartments so I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    I don't know if you could class it as famous, but the early house Ned's on Townsend Street (recently known as the Townsend Bar) closed it's doors a month or so ago.  From the corner down to the office block (including the Advance Pitstop) are all being demolished to make way for a hotel/restaurants/apartments so I've heard.

Im sad that that bar and the Longstone pub couldn't be preserved amongst all these docklands developments..theyre both nicer than the bland glass towers being built all over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone into rock/metal or blues will be missing the Gypsy Rose, Aston Quay which closed its door in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Anyone into rock/metal or blues will be missing the Gypsy Rose, Aston Quay which closed its door in recent weeks.

Loved their pizza and pint deal..so nice beside the river. And like the snooker tables and it had a really nice vibe. I only noticed it was gone about a week or two ago

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Thought it was just for a refurb?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

wakka12 wrote: »
    Loved their pizza and pint deal..so nice beside the river. And like the snooker tables and it had a really nice vibe. I only noticed it was gone about a week or two ago

Anybody know exactly why it shut up shop?
    Big Nasty wrote: »

Nope, it's officially gone.

Big Nasty wrote: »

Nope. Its gone and a new bar opened called R.I.O.T., new owners and not rock & blues.

None of the old Gypsy staff, but still has a pool table.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Does this new R.I.O.T. spot have a Facebook page or anything? Not much info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Nope. Its gone and a new bar opened called R.I.O.T., new owners and not rock & blues.

None of the old Gypsy staff, but still has a pool table.

Weren't doing the business I assume?

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    Does this new R.I.O.T. spot have a Facebook page or anything? Not much info online.

I looked myself and couldn't find anything.

I know there's not live music or jukebox.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Here's the Facebook page though there's not much on it. Another "dive bar" - https://www.facebook.com/riotdivebar/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ah, I spotted a competition on Publin for R.I.O.T. and hadn't a clue where it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

TP's on the corner of Patrick St and Kevin St, in the mid 90s.
    Later became Nash's

I lived in the apartments across the road at the time, we lived in that place.

Was a total kip very run down, however it had a pool table and alcohol.
    You could get a pint in there at 9:00am for some reason.

Interesting history about the pubs in that area, used to be known as the four corners of hell.

https://comeheretome.com/2014/09/29/the-four-corners-of-hell/

Nash's has recently been relicensed and should reopen soon. The 9am stuff was probably illegal as that wasn't a traditional area for early houses and no new ones have been possible since the 50s in Dublin (2008 outside the city).

The Parnell/Gardiner/Summerhill corner also got the Four Corners of Hell name, same reason, but all four pubs are gone now

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

matban wrote: »
    TP's on the corner of Patrick St and Kevin St, in the mid 90s.
    Later became Nash's

I lived in the apartments across the road at the time, we lived in that place.

Was a total kip very run down, however it had a pool table and alcohol.
    You could get a pint in there at 9:00am for some reason.

Interesting history about the pubs in that area, used to be known as the four corners of hell.

https://comeheretome.com/2014/09/29/the-four-corners-of-hell/

Wasn't the junction of the South Circular Rd and Clanbrassil known as the 4 corners as well at some point? There's only two pubs left now though, The Headline and Leonards Corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

L1011 wrote: »
    Nash's has recently been relicensed and should reopen soon.

The owner of that locations son now has the lease. The black paint looks a bit grim...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Tommy Wright's which was next to The Harp just off the corner of Westmoreland street next to the liffey. The Harp was a Dublin landmark . All have been replaced by fancy new bars or coffee shops .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭easygoing39

L1011 wrote: »
    Nash's has recently been relicensed and should reopen soon. The 9am stuff was probably illegal as that wasn't a traditional area for early houses and no new ones have been possible since the 50s in Dublin (2008 outside the city).

The Parnell/Gardiner/Summerhill corner also got the Four Corners of Hell name, same reason, but all four pubs are gone now

The Honey Pot was one,what were the other 3???

• Advertisement

The Honey Pot was one,what were the other 3???

The Hamlet is the only one I know the name of, opposite corner to the Honey Pot. Haven't gone much before the mid 60s yet research-wise.

Advertisement