Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

yes it works faster using ext3 you can format it in the spark menu system if you need 2

only awkward thing is setting up ext reader on your laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 14 exoteric

Ok so I have my AA2+ box set up and streaming to XBMC on my Android TV box in another room. Just one thing, I'm getting serious distortion on the frames for HD channels. Is this to do with the ethernet connection on the box not being gigabit or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Nowso wrote: »

Not needed if you use the samba plugin

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

Hi,

Apologies for the newbie question. I am currently using a Ferguson Ariva 120 combo. Its just died. Considering replacing it with The Alien2 Enigma from Satworld for 150 euro....my primary reason for going for a Linux/Enigma box is the 7 day EPG and recording capability. We have an old sky dish and a simple indoor ariel that worked well with the Ariva. We have an old hard drive that we had hooked up to the ariva for recording.

How stable are these boxes. I am technical but my wife is not and this will be the primary TV box in he house.

Any advice welcome..

if they worked for arriva they be fine . enigma 2 can be complicated . spark not as complicated if you run an arriva spark is only a slight step up on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Nowso wrote: »
    yes it works faster using ext3 you can format it in the spark menu system if you need 2

Or set up Samba Server on your Alien2 then you can browse the files on your ext3 formatted USB drive as though it was just another folder on your laptop.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

efwren wrote:
    Apologies for the newbie question. I am currently using a Ferguson Ariva 120 combo. Its just died. Considering replacing it with The Alien2 Enigma from Satworld for 150 euro....my primary reason for going for a Linux/Enigma box is the 7 day EPG and recording capability. We have an old sky dish and a simple indoor ariel that worked well with the Ariva. We have an old hard drive that we had hooked up to the ariva for recording.

How stable are these boxes. I am technical but my wife is not and this will be the primary TV box in he house.

Of course, the Amiko can also run oscam, although discussion of this is not permitted on here.

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

** The Ideal Sly box replacemement image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Have an amiko running an updated backup of championc's atv4.2 image. Ever since Sony Tv, STV Glasgow and Info Tv+1 changed TP's Ive no longer been able to get a 7 day epg on these channels even tho I tuned them in on their new frequencies. Not using autobouquets but my own channel list. Anyone know how to get the guide back working?

championc wrote: »
    Of course, the Amiko can also run oscam, although discussion of this is not permitted on here.

you can get patched emu firmware for Ferguson Arrivas , its not to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Got a brand new GM triplex in the post yesterday.I have to say I am very pleased with Gm and the way they handled my problem!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Redriddick wrote: »
    Got a brand new GM triplex in the post yesterday.I have to say I am very pleased with Gm and the way they handled my problem!!!

Nice to hear people treated well.

Lavatronics however through my personal experience I would avoid like the plague!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Philip2

I'll try and upload a new image soon. Run off my feet at present. I update my OpenATV 4.2 via the Software Management every few days but it's always best to possibly just make a brand new image now and again.

I should really delete my old ARP image but it works and works well so I'll leave it for another while

But regarding stability, OpenATV is my daily runner. It's put into Standby by HDMI-CEC every night and has no problems ever waking up. I can't remember my last Green Screen TBH.]

Please let us know when you put up a completely fresh upload. I am using OpenATV 4.2, not yours, and I am getting freezing after recording and frequent green screens. I am constantly having to off/on with the switch at the back. Thought it was the slow flashdrive but I am now using a Samsung M3 formatted to Ext3. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

Philip2 wrote: »
    I'll try and upload a new image soon. Run off my feet at present. I update my OpenATV 4.2 via the Software Management every few days but it's always best to possibly just make a brand new image now and again.

I should really delete my old ARP image but it works and works well so I'll leave it for another while

But regarding stability, OpenATV is my daily runner. It's put into Standby by HDMI-CEC every night and has no problems ever waking up. I can't remember my last Green Screen TBH.

Please let us know when you put up a completely fresh upload. I am using OpenATV 4.2, not yours, and I am getting freezing after recording and frequent green screens. I am constantly having to off/on with the switch at the back. Thought it was the slow flashdrive but I am now using a Samsung M3 formatted to Ext3. Thanks.

Did you try and do a Software Upgrade ? Otherwise, go on, try mine :)

exoteric wrote: »
    Ok so I have my AA2+ box set up and streaming to XBMC on my Android TV box in another room. Just one thing, I'm getting serious distortion on the frames for HD channels. Is this to do with the ethernet connection on the box not being gigabit or something?

There are several likely options

1. is that your Android box is not powerful enough, especially if the station was a HD one. What is streaming to a PC like ?
    2. If you were watching another channel from the Amiko, it could be struggling to play one locally and stream another.
    3. If you try and stream to the Android box via wifi, again, if HD, you could struggle

So streaming to something like a PC which will have more power, should point you in the right direction

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

** The Ideal Sly box replacemement image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Anybody russle up a Hyperion 4.5 image or has it been released yet?

efwren wrote: »
    Hi,

Apologies for the newbie question....my primary reason for going for a Linux/Enigma box is the 7 day EPG and recording capability....How stable are these boxes. I am technical but my wife is not and this will be the primary TV box in he house..

To answer this question... these boxes are brilliant but they are for enthusiasts. Even if you install someone elses backup image there will be times when things need to be tweaked or re-installed and the more time and interest and ability you have to understand the myriad intricacies the less pain it will give.

Even technically minded users can spend hours working through problems and fixes. That's part of the fun of it but it's also a recipe for lots of anger from other householders who just want to watch Tv. For this reason I would never rely on one of them as the sole source of TV.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

To answer this question... these boxes are brilliant but they are for enthusiasts...

While I do agree mostly with your post, the poster seems to be looking for a 7 day EPG and recording capabilities, which Spark does pretty much perfectly with no messing about and is extremely stable as you'd expect from closed source Linux. So unless he's looking for the customization of Enigma2, Spark on this box will work perfectly for what he wants.

xtw0.jpg
    Hi,
    my primary reason for going for a Linux/Enigma box is the 7 day EPG and recording capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

cork_south wrote: »
    Anybody russle up a Hyperion 4.5 image or has it been released yet?

It hasn't been released yet but should be happening very soon as it has finished testing on the box and is in pre-RTM.

NUTZZ wrote: »
    ...the posters seems to be looking for a 7 day EPG and recording capabilities, which Spark does pretty much perfectly with no messing about and is extremely stable as you'd expect from closed source Linux.

Actually that is true. Spark doesn't give any trouble and it gives a better picture too. For a basic set up all that's necessary is a fresh channel scan once every few months.

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I using the Hyperion 4 image for a few months now but since Saturday I have not been able to get any tv shows or movies from TS Media. Anything I select a show or movie I get a message saying "No Video Hosting Servers Found".

I am using TSMedia 6.5. Anybody else found this problem?

Thanks

There are several likely options

1. is that your Android box is not powerful enough, especially if the station was a HD one. What is streaming to a PC like ?
    2. If you were watching another channel from the Amiko, it could be struggling to play one locally and stream another.
    3. If you try and stream to the Android box via wifi, again, if HD, you could struggle

So streaming to something like a PC which will have more power, should point you in the right direction

Thanks Champion:
    1. It's a Quad core CS968 TV Box: I've never had speed issues with it before. I've never tried streaming to my computer so will give that a try.

2. I dont think I could look at the box while it was streaming to XBMC, I am using the VU+ addon which I think takes control of the box?

3. Havent tried via wifi, I have my whole house wired with cat 6 cable so dont rely on wifi for stuff like this.

Come to think of it, I think it may have been recording something at the time so this was probably the issue. I will try stream to my computer and see what happens.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi,

First of all thanks for the earlier replies to my query.

So my Amiko Alien 2 arrived last night. I unplugged my old Ariva combo and simply replaced it with the Amiko box and switched it on. I had hoped that it would be a case of thats it! and I would be able to watch tv.

Unfortunately ..when i open the EPG it has all the channels listed, all the Irish channels, ITV's BBC's film4 channel 4 etc...but only the BBC's and FIlm 4 show any picture, (Standard Def only)

None of the saorview channels work.

I have taken a look around and discovered that the box is running openATV version 4.2

So what have I done wrong? I did ask that the box be programmed with the UK and Irish channels, so I was hoping these would just work..

Any advice on how to get this setup quickly? I am technical BTW ..I work with Linux servers every day...just new to these boxes

Any tips?..from reading above I should be using Spark as the simplest most solid platform..is OpenATV different fom Spark?..can I get it too boot into Spark?

ANy help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

First of all thanks for the earlier replies to my query.

So my Amiko Alien 2 arrived last night. I unplugged my old Ariva combo and simply replaced it with the Amiko box and switched it on. I had hoped that it would be a case of thats it! and I would be able to watch tv.

Unfortunately ..when i open the EPG it has all the channels listed, all the Irish channels, ITV's BBC's film4 channel 4 etc...but only the BBC's and FIlm 4 show any picture, (Standard Def only)

None of the saorview channels work.

I have taken a look around and discovered that the box is running openATV version 4.2

So what have I done wrong? I did ask that the box be programmed with the UK and Irish channels, so I was hoping these would just work..

Any advice on how to get this setup quickly? I am technical BTW ..I work with Linux servers every day...just new to these boxes

Any tips?..from reading above I should be using Spark as the simplest most solid platform..is OpenATV different fom Spark?..can I get it too boot into Spark?

ANy help is greatly appreciated.

Ah..okay maybe it was too late last night to be playing with this. I am using it now and I do actually have all the channels working but not if I simply use the channel up button...in other words channel 1 is rte in the EPG and channel order but that doesn't work...

however if I hit the 'FAV' button on the remote it brings me to a list of channel categories..one of which is 'Saorview'..in there it has working Saorview channels. Likewise there is a category called 'Free to Air' and in there are all the working freesat channels.

My question is how to change the order of the channels (when you use the channel up/down) and the EPG to actually just use these channels...as at the moment its finding ITV2 for example and it doesn't work..but when I select it from the 'Free to Air' category it works fine.

Hopefully I am making some sense..I am guessing the EPG is setup with a different definition of the channels (satellite transponders etc.) that one which I actually want.

Again any info would be great !

Your in enigma 2

to use spark u need to boot into spark first

you will find more on the spark topic

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

I know it's not the right place, but has anybody any opinions on the Amiko WLK-100 keyboard?:eek:

Ah..okay maybe it was too late last night to be playing with this. I am using it now and I do actually have all the channels working but not if I simply use the channel up button...in other words channel 1 is rte in the EPG and channel order but that doesn't work...

however if I hit the 'FAV' button on the remote it brings me to a list of channel categories..one of which is 'Saorview'..in there it has working Saorview channels. Likewise there is a category called 'Free to Air' and in there are all the working freesat channels.

My question is how to change the order of the channels (when you use the channel up/down) and the EPG to actually just use these channels...as at the moment its finding ITV2 for example and it doesn't work..but when I select it from the 'Free to Air' category it works fine.

Hopefully I am making some sense..I am guessing the EPG is setup with a different definition of the channels (satellite transponders etc.) that one which I actually want.

You can create your own "favourites" bouquet and add to it from each of the channels contained in each of your pre-ordered bouquets. For instance: When you have a channel highlighted in your "saorview" folder, you can press the "menu" button on your remote. This will bring up a new menu with options on what to do with this highlighted channel. In this menu you can rearrange channel orders, rename channels, add to new bouquet i.e. your new favourites bouquet. When you have all your channels arranged the way you want in this folder you will be able to go up or down with the channel select buttons like you want. Hope this makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

you could use dreamboxedit
    delete all the boquets and just create 1 boquet with all the channels you watch in that
    if you put RTE1 first in the boquet you can then just press 1 on the remote to change to that channel and 2 for rte2 and so on in what ever order you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Hyperion v4.5 has been released.

http://www.pkteam.pl/viewtopic.php?f=87&p=93746#p93746

Won't have a chance to test it myself til this evening.

Is the open atv plugin server down ?
    Tried to download some picons for open atv and it keeps failing to download
    also says no updates available

Just as a sidetopic I have downloaded and installed some picons for openATV 4.2 on AA2+
    put them in a folder media/hdd/usr/share/enigma2/picon

The picons do show in the EPG no problem

But the main info window that pops up when you change channel still shows the ATV Icon & not the picon
    the picons are 220 x132 32 bit any Ideas on how to display the picons on the main window
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

gazzer wrote: »
    I using the Hyperion 4 image for a few months now but since Saturday I have not been able to get any tv shows or movies from TS Media. Anything I select a show or movie I get a message saying "No Video Hosting Servers Found".

I am using TSMedia 6.5. Anybody else found this problem?

Thanks

Anybody :(

• Advertisement

gazzer wrote: »
    Anybody :(
    Have you tried updating ts media
    Not using hyper 4 at the moment
    I think the last time i was using it the version was 6.9 but would not swear to it
    I seem to remember an option within ts media to update

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement