Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Just am update as to my problem with channels scanning but being greyed out.I got on to GM and they are sending me out a replacement box.They wanted me to send mine back but at a cost of €30-40 I said no.
    Great service and was kept in contact all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ac2000

bappelbe wrote: »
    AFAIK the difference is the terrestrial tuner the 2 is DVB-T and the 2+ is DVB-T2.
    In theory the images should work on both.

however I have a Golden Media Triplex T2 box (bought 18 months ago) and and Amiko Alien 2+ (bought a month ago) and my Hyperion 4 image has problems tuning terrestrial channels on the Amiko box (GM box is fine on the same image). OpenATV works fine on both

Thanks! That is exactly my problem, I have Hyperion 4 that works fine on my Alien 2, but on an Alien 2+ I cannot tune the terrestrial channels. Are there any fixes to this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

ac2000 wrote: »
    Thanks! That is exactly my problem, I have Hyperion 4 that works fine on my Alien 2, but on an Alien 2+ I cannot tune the terrestrial channels. Are there any fixes to this problem?

note: both of mine are T2 versions!

The only "fix" is to not use Hyperion 4 - I know OpenATV works, I have not tried any others.

I read here that there is a Hyperion 4.5 due soon - that may fix the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

note: both of mine are T2 versions!

The only "fix" is to not use Hyperion 4 - I know OpenATV works, I have not tried any others.

I read here that there is a Hyperion 4.5 due soon - that may fix the issue

Hyperion 4.5 has passed testing so a release is imminent.

Looking at the PKT forums I dont think the terrestrial issues will be resolved though ,they dont seem to care too much about channels non receivable outside Poland .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

thats a curious one alright
    Im using the alien 2+ and have no prob with the terrestial channels on hyper 4

did you load a new fresh version downloaded from the site and start from scratch or are you using someone's backup or even your own backup from your AA2 ( not + ) box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Balmed Out wrote: »
    For those who bought the newer plus boxes what image do ye find most stable? Had been getting on okish with an open atv one but half the time it would crash if I went into the system menu. It crashed the other night when trying to mount a hard drive that had become unmounted for some reason and wouldnt boot up again so back to spark for a while. A polish friend recommended open pli, anyone give that a go?

Havent been able to try to fix until today however after trying three different enigma images all that happens when i try to boot into it is the box reads boot 1 then 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 etc

00.00 boot
    00.01 boot
    00.02 boot etc etc

Last one I tried I also reformatted the usb stick before hand just in case that could make a difference

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

Adrianfok wrote: »
    Anybody here in Limerick and capable/willing to set-up an Alien2(paid, of course)? Enigma2 installed, running reasonably well, it's just the last config issue preventing me from finally ditching the DM800se and enjoying this box and its dual tuner. I'm getting desperate at this stage.

I assume you are asking about something which we are not allowed to ask about, in which case, can I suggest you try my image because the unmentionable part is setup already for you with "Edit Me" tags in the relevant places to be modified with your own settings :)

Terrestrial Scanning seems to be the one part which OpenATV have got spot on, be it on the DVB-T or DVB-T2 boxes. For scanning issues, it may be worth trying to scan your local frequencies individually rather than doing full sweeps of the whole frequency range. I'm in the area of Three Rock and I only bother to just scan Channels 30 and 33

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

** The Ideal Sly box replacemement image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

Technofobe wrote: »
    thats a curious one alright
    Im using the alien 2+ and have no prob with the terrestial channels on hyper 4

did you load a new fresh version downloaded from the site and start from scratch or are you using someone's backup or even your own backup from your AA2 ( not + ) box

My GM box is more than 18 months old and works fine, my Alien 2+ is new and the backup of the GM box does not work in the new box! (both are T2 boxes)

My GM box is more than 18 months old and works fine, my Alien 2+ is new and the backup of the GM box does not work in the new box! (both are T2 boxes)

And so you'll need a DVB-T2 Compatible image on your 2+

Another part of the new images is the support for the newer Digital DIsplays (VFD) on the front of the boxes. If your box just says "BOOT", then the Image is "non-compatible".

I have OpenATV 4.2 running on BOTH T's and T2's and ones with Older and Newer VFD's, and OpenATV 4.2 works on all instances. They even fixed HDMI-CEC !!!

** The Ideal Sly box replacemement image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **

championc wrote: »
    And so you'll need a DVB-T2 Compatible image on your 2+

They are both T2 machines!! a backup of a working image (Hyperion 4) does not work on the newer (Amiko) box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TomPetty

Hi Folks - Quick question - New user and just set-up about a week or two.
    Purchased new 1TB external USB drive.
    Formatted to Ext3.
    When I go into Plugin HDD - It appears to be mounted .. But ..

I cannot pause Live TV
    When I press the Folder Button on the Remote Control - Nothing happens.

I have an Amiko Alien 2 with Enigma 2 pre loaded. ( Did a Factory reset, so not sure if I have lost my Enigma 2 )

Any ideas whats wrong ?

Many thanks for your time.

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

I am using aa2+ hv4 and terrestrial work perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Balmed Out wrote: »
    For those who bought the newer plus boxes what image do ye find most stable? Had been getting on okish with an open atv one but half the time it would crash if I went into the system menu. It crashed the other night when trying to mount a hard drive that had become unmounted for some reason and wouldnt boot up again so back to spark for a while. A polish friend recommended open pli, anyone give that a go?

I had a go at loading a few different images on one of the newest boxes a few weeks back. Tried championc' arp image, but it would only load to the splash screen, then hang. Tried open pli (from scratch and same o's backup) , but same issue with the terrestrial tuning . Also Hyperion v3 and v4 (from scratch). didn't try hdmu.
    Tried individual manual channel scans, clearing and not clearing for the terrestrial channels. Tried ftp'ing in xml files etc. And using dreamboxedit to send channels.
    The hardware works because ATV and spark find the channels. Someone will find a solution, I sure ( H4.5 may, but as Zardoz said in a previous post, I don't see anything on their forum discussion or notes to indicate that they are addressing it )

But did find atv4.2 stable enough. Had a few odd freezes, but it did settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Yeah after trying several different open atv images I got one or two to work but I get a green screen very regularly so never even managed to mount a hard drive and after a while the images fail to launch despite powering down etc. Frustrated at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

I was on to lavtronics about buying a new aa2 and they informed me that the vix image is the best and most stable at the minute.

Is this the truth or is openatv still the best. Would love to know if champion has tried the vix image yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Slevster wrote: »
    The hardware works because ATV and spark find the channels. Someone will find a solution, I sure ( H4.5 may, but as Zardoz said in a previous post, I don't see anything on their forum discussion or notes to indicate that they are addressing it )

Are PKT even aware of the issue ,has it been raised on their forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Zardoz wrote: »
    Are PKT even aware of the issue ,has it been raised on their forum ?

Didn't see it discussed. And my polish ain't that good ( limitited to a few choice cuss words, which may not be the way to get the folks to look in to it). But I would have thought that they would have similar issues with mainland European terrestrial tuning. As it appears that the image doesnt communicate with the tuner at all, not just fail to tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 exoteric

kgarvey wrote: »
    I was on to lavtronics about buying a new aa2 and they informed me that the vix image is the best and most stable at the minute.

Is this the truth or is openatv still the best. Would love to know if champion has tried the vix image yet

I have a aa2+, got it last week it came with lavatronics vix4 on it. Seemed stable enough. It did crash a few times when using the remote going to menu. However I didn't really like the look of the skin so had a go at installing a few others by championC and givecredit. I had the same problems with terrestrial channels on most. The last one I tried was from championC up above ^ with sky skin on it. That seemed to be stable enough and terrestrial channels tuned in ok. I think you need to do a manual retune sometimes to get them all in. However last night I decided to do a system update with one of the plugins and it crashes halfway through so I had had to start from scratch again!!! :(

TomPetty wrote: »
    Hi Folks - Quick question - New user and just set-up about a week or two.
    Purchased new 1TB external USB drive.
    Formatted to Ext3.
    When I go into Plugin HDD - It appears to be mounted .. But ..

I cannot pause Live TV
    When I press the Folder Button on the Remote Control - Nothing happens.

I have an Amiko Alien 2 with Enigma 2 pre loaded. ( Did a Factory reset, so not sure if I have lost my Enigma 2 )

Any ideas whats wrong ?

Many thanks for your time.

Tom.
    Doing a factory reset will only reset the image your on at the time
    so if your on enigma2 it ill be still on enigma2
    you dont say what image your using
    what does it say when starting up
    Hyperion / open atv / open pli ?
    Cheers

exoteric wrote: »
    I have a aa2+, got it last week it came with lavatronics vix4 on it. Seemed stable enough. It did crash a few times when using the remote going to menu. However I didn't really like the look of the skin so had a go at installing a few others by championC and givecredit. I had the same problems with terrestrial channels on most. The last one I tried was from championC up above ^ with sky skin on it. That seemed to be stable enough and terrestrial channels tuned in ok. I think you need to do a manual retune sometimes to get them all in. However last night I decided to do a system update with one of the plugins and it crashes halfway through so I had had to start from scratch again!!! :(

I'll try and upload a new image soon. Run off my feet at present. I update my OpenATV 4.2 via the Software Management every few days but it's always best to possibly just make a brand new image now and again.

I should really delete my old ARP image but it works and works well so I'll leave it for another while

But regarding stability, OpenATV is my daily runner. It's put into Standby by HDMI-CEC every night and has no problems ever waking up. I can't remember my last Green Screen TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 exoteric

I'll try and upload a new image soon. Run off my feet at present. I update my OpenATV 4.2 via the Software Management every few days but it's always best to possibly just make a brand new image now and again.

I should really delete my old ARP image but it works and works well so I'll leave it for another while

But regarding stability, OpenATV is my daily runner. It's put into Standby by HDMI-CEC every night and has no problems ever waking up. I can't remember my last Green Screen TBH.

Cheers championC, no worries dude. I'm gonna try a nightly openatv and see how I get on. :)

Hi All
    Just reflashed openATV 4.2 instead of my usual hyper4 on the AA2+
    loaded the dreamboxedit channel list from hyper4 into openatv (works fine )
    pretty much all sorted without any issues
    Only thing I cant see an option for is
    When in deep standby the power led on the front panel is green instead of red anyone know where to change this to red
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I'm still using your open arp image vritually glitch free and it's ideal for people like me who are a bit on the stupid side, it dosnt need any messing around and is good to go from start up, it is perfect for streaming and that is the only plugin I use

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

sky ireland are the latest new talk to forum on boards.ie lol

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Lads anyone have issues recording? I'm using a fresh OpenATV 4.2 Beta the only plug in I installed is crossepg. External hard drive formatted to ext4

If I record 2 sat HD CH at the same time the system slows up, and sometimes CH go blank even after I stop recordig until I reboot. If I flick on to RTE I get a lot of pixelation and If I add a recording and change CH again the box locks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Lads anyone have issues recording? I'm using a fresh OpenATV 4.2 Beta the only plug in I installed is crossepg. External hard drive formatted to ext4

If I record 2 sat HD CH at the same time the system slows up, and sometimes CH go blank even after I stop recordig until I reboot. If I flick on to RTE I get a lot of pixelation and If I add a recording and change CH again the box locks up.

Are you sure the drive is capable of recording 2x HD recordings at the same time? It takes some heavy bandwidth, not all drives are able for it

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Speed results from hard disk

2147483648 bytes (2.0GB) copied, 76.388978 seconds, 26.8MB/s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I loaded your openATV image. Very nice.
    I don't need to record or use timeshift though.
    I just have a fat32 stick inserted for CrossEPG.

How do I stop the timeshift error coming up every time I change channel?
    It says the "drive inserted does not support timeshift....."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I loaded your openATV image. Very nice.
    I don't need to record or use timeshift though.
    I just have a fat32 stick inserted for CrossEPG.

How do I stop the timeshift error coming up every time I change channel?
    It says the "drive inserted does not support timeshift....."

you need a ext3 formated usb/drive for nearly all enigma 2 images

im using ext3 on spark atm aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

What about CrossEPG though?
    Will that save it's data to an ext3 drive?
    Nowso wrote: »
    you need a ext3 formated usb/drive for nearly all enigma 2 images

im using ext3 on spark atm aswell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement