Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

"You're injecting this poison into their veins Minister" Jaysus, Hyperbole much?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

McGuirk is such a right wing out of touch pox.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Slightly higher???

Tell us what the Tesco long term are on per week

Normally I'm not so much a union supporter , hate the whole me and my members are entitled mentality but in the case of these tesco guys they have a contract. 200 odd out of 14k ??? Jesus Tesco need to pick their battles. Guy in the middle here is some piece of work. Anyone know who he is and what is track record is??? Anyone trying to defend tesco on this is some boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

McGuirk is an unpleasant, loudmouthed bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,043 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow that guy with the glasses (name escapes me) was some douche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

John McGuirk has always been a sneaky, nasty piece of work. Cut from the same cloth as that eejit from TheLiberal.ie

C4QuZ_BXAAA7K4c.jpg

I know some in dunnes are on more than the rate quoted for the long terms in tesco in this, €16 p/h (family member)

I also know the main bone of contention tesco have with these 200 or so guys is the lack of flexability in terms of what they can ask them to do and the hours they can ask them to work, as in no sundays, 9-5 etc. and many will outright refuse to be flexible in duties and hours and sit all day at a check out with no customers at it. thing is that is their right as per contract. It's not my way of doing things , if give and take with an employer but the fact remains they have the right to stick to the terms agreed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought the Labour Court ruled on this and the Union/workers are ignoring it's findings?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I was saddened to hear of the death of Peter Mathews (65), he used to be a regular panellist on the VB show during his time as a TD for the Dublin South constituency.

I didn't always agree with him but I feel he was a man who entered politics for all the right reasons and was genuinely trying to make a difference (especially for homeowners who were in difficulties with their banks). Unfortunately, his illness resulted in his career and ultimately his life being cut short.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam dilis.
    matthews.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I was saddened to hear of the death of Peter Mathews (65), he used to be a regular panellist on the VB show during his time as a TD for the Dublin South constituency.

I didn't always agree with him but I feel he was a man who entered politics for all the right reasons and was genuinely trying to make a difference (especially for homeowners who were in difficulties with their banks). Unfortunately, his illness resulted in his career and ultimately his life being cut short.

matthews.png

My feelings exactly. Always came across as an honest and caring man. We could have done with a few more like minded people.

Donal55 wrote: »
    My feelings exactly. Always came across as an honest and caring man. We could have done with a few more like minded people.

Yes, Peter Matthew was a gentleman, with a polite and civil manner. He never let the other panelists get under his skin (not even Vincent). And like the posters above, I often didn't agree with him, but at least he was an articulate, learned man who was never boring to watch or listen to.
    R.I.P

Donal55 wrote: »

Yes, Peter Matthew was a gentleman, with a polite and civil manner. He never let the other panelists get under his skin (not even Vincent). And like the posters above, I often didn't agree with him, but he was an articulate, learned man who was never boring to watch or listen to.
    R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Was also sad to hear this. Didn't always agree with him but his contributions were honest and earnest. Always got the feeling he and Vincent were friends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Gentleman RIP, had the backbone to go against his party and lose the whip. A man of great integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

matthews.png

I was also sad to hear of Peter Matthews passing away, we always referred to him as the Silver Fox on this great thread. He wasn't my politics but I'd agree with Lady C and coolhull. RIP.

I haven't been on the thread in ages due to commitments and I'm also not a fan of the stand-ins, I miss all the craic we often had. Hope ye are all well and safe gswxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Did Vincent mention Peter Matthew's passing, haven't seen the show for a bit

imme wrote: »
    Did Vincent mention Peter Matthew's passing, haven't seen the show for a bit

Yes, he did. Was nicely done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Ask him about unpaid taxes vinny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Does anybody watch this anymore? Put it on tonight for the first time in months. He's pretty poor and I think it's time for him to move onto something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tv3 can't even spell Lorraine ffs !!

The Guards discussion is rubbish without an opposing view.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Does anybody watch this anymore? Put it on tonight for the first time in months. He's pretty poor and I think it's time for him to move onto something else.

Not really. I used to watch it every night religiously, but very rarely lately. Maybe it's how long he takes to ask a question, or maybe it's because we're less angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Good loser

The panels are outrageously biased. He only wants yes men and women.
    He's either a nihilist or a propagandist for the left/extreme left. I only watch to see his ego deflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good loser wrote: »
    The panels are outrageously biased. He only wants yes men and women.
    He's either a nihilist or a propagandist for the left/extreme left. I only watch to see his ego deflated.
    Vincent is a pure fake.
    He can argue both sides of any argument on different nights.
    I stopped watching a year or two ago.

Vincent is a pure fake.
    He can argue both sides of any argument on different nights.
    I stopped watching a year or two ago.

But isn't it the job of a current affairs presenter to play devil's advocate when necessary, and present both sides of the story?
    I hope that when I get to his age, I'll have enough intelligence left to engage the tossers in a argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,283 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

coolhull wrote: »
    But isn't it the job of a current affairs presenter to play devil's advocate when necessary, and present both sides of the story?
    I hope that when I get to his age, I'll have enough intelligence left to engage the tossers in a argument.

Unfortunately Vincent doesn't engage "the tossers". What Vincent does is attack those who try to do something and give an easy ride to "the tossers" who take responsibility for nothing, just toss out negative stuff and josh with them whilst trying to excoriate the person trying to implement policies.

Vincent usually likes a 'stacked deck', like three or four guests lined up against one with the bould Vincent throwing the darts.

Has form there back in the day on Rte radio one when he joshed with his mate, a FF TD , can't recall his name , but that was the MO.

Browne has no credibility in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya saw him with a FG candidate before last election. Some women stood up saying she was kicked out of a house and had 3 children blah blah.

Vinny lashed your man out of it asking what are you going to do bullsh1t. The fg chap said meet me afterwards and I'll talk to you and look into it. Vinny wasn't happy and said typical stuff from you x y and z. Turns out your one was a skank and shouldn't have been given a tent.

Typical Vinny though full of carp.

Ya saw him with a FG candidate before last election. Some women stood up saying she was kicked out of a house and had 3 children blah blah.

Vinny lashed your man out of it asking what are you going to do bullsh1t. The fg chap said meet me afterwards and I'll talk to you and look into it. Vinny wasn't happy and said typical stuff from you x y and z. Turns out your one was a skank and shouldn't have been given a tent.

Typical Vinny though full of carp.

Simon Coveney did the same thing last night on Prime Time where the story of a guy forced to seek an emergency bed in some kind of arbitrary lottery was highlighted.
    It is obviously an extremely annoying tactic deployed by FG to diffuse outrage. 'Contact me after the show' with the implication that his individual issue will be sorted is just parish pump politics for the telly age and doesn't sort or excuse bad governing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

coolhull wrote: »

It is but when he has a completely imbalanced panel also arguing his position then it's not. I've often seen Vinny and the 3/4 panelists on the same side. In fact i've rarely if ever seen Vinny outnumbered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement