Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭geotrig

Did someone add an atrocious yellow square button to it ?:mad: Nice get

also throw a pic of the boardsets ,nothing better than early 80's pcb p0rn .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I'll post more pics as I delve into it, but as you can see here it needs a little work, and that means I'm leaving it for a while. Just too busy to drive myself up the wall right now! A cracked control panel and replace the fire button is easy at least

radar-scope.jpg

wow ,
    super rare?

That goliath is ruining the pics :pac: unadjusted monitor /saturated red or bad caps do you know ?

wow ,
    super rare?

I just ran the numbers through the bat computer, and the results say its one of 11 known. Take with a pinch of salt, but its rare one way or the other.

• Advertisement

geotrig wrote: »
    That goliath is ruining the pics :pac: unadjusted monitor /saturated red or bad caps do you know ?

You get tired shifting them around! No idea on anything yet, going to look into voltages first and the transformer/psu, then I'll move onto the neck adjustment. Might be a combo of red adjustment and degaussing. But its enough for m to put it on the long finger :P

beejee wrote: »
    I just ran the numbers through the bat computer, and the results say its one of 11 known. Take with a pinch of salt, but its rare one way or the other.

sounds like a klov answer ,pinch taken lol ,rare alright but id say way more than 11 about ,nintendo didnt do small no's !:pac:

wouldnt say there is many or any others here though

For some reason a good few turned up in Ireland .
    Most were converted in the factory to DK if legends are to be believed.

sounds like a klov answer pinch taken lol ,rare alright but id say way more than 11 about ,nintendo didnt do small no's !:pac:

Ive actually done my homework on this, including talking with some guys on vaps/klov/ukvac. The really short version is.....

3000 were made, 1000 shipped. The 2000 in warehouse were converted by Nintendo into donkey kong, that's why red donkey kongs are rare too. The remaining 1000 already out on premises went through conversions to donkey kong by operators themselves and nintendo, so that takes a chunk off the 1000. Add in 40 years, and that number reduces significantly to only a handful.

Theres always going to be a few more hiding in basements and such, but one of the members on klov has been keeping an active list for over a decade of the remaining numbers, right down to serial numbers. Of the 22 ish recorded, 10 or 11 have been converted to donkey kong, and that's how I arrive at my "one of eleven known".

In the absence of any other information, I think that's as narrow as anyone is ever going to get it!

You get tired shifting them around! No idea on anything yet, going to look into voltages first and the transformer/psu, then I'll move onto the neck adjustment. Might be a combo of red adjustment and degaussing. But its enough for m to put it on the long finger :P

yeah best take you time with these old machines. picture suggests it could be a brightness issue as well but hard to tell. either way it fires up so a good start.

• Advertisement

Ive actually done my homework on this, including talking with some guys on vaps/klov/ukvac. The really short version is.....

3000 were made, 1000 shipped. The 2000 in warehouse were converted by Nintendo into donkey kong, that's why red donkey kongs are rare too. The remaining 1000 already out on premises went through conversions to donkey kong by operators themselves and nintendo, so that takes a chunk off the 1000. Add in 40 years, and that number reduces significantly to only a handful.

Theres always going to be a few more hiding in basements and such, but one of the members on klov has been keeping an active list for over a decade of the remaining numbers, right down to serial numbers. Of the 22 ish recorded, 10 or 11 have been converted to donkey kong, and that's how I arrive at my "one of eleven known".

In the absence of any other information, I think that's as narrow as anyone is ever going to get it!
    haha i always take the klov figures with a pinch of salt but at least there is some research behind that one ,I presumed most got converted and always presumed the red dk's were conversions of this.....dont sicken us with a cheap ass price that you picked it up for !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

wow ,
    super rare?

Hey that’s my line!

haha i always take the klov figures with a pinch of salt but at least there is some research behind that one ,I presumed most got converted and always presumed the red dk's were conversions of this.....dont sicken us with a cheap as price that you picked it up for !

Yeah I put in a bit of effort researching this, that's just the short version above. There is something absolutely fascinating about this story and its connection with Ireland, but will fill in those blanks later. Cool stuff! More incoming.

As for the prices, I wont sicken anyone, but...

latest?cb=20151117063307

As for the prices, I wont sicken anyone, but...

latest?cb=20151117063307

haha nice ,nice to see someone getting some deals out there !:)

haha nice ,nice to see someone getting some deals out there !:)

Honestly, the way prices have gone, I wouldn't be buying ANYTHING at current rates. In a way it has its upside, I wouldn't have gone looking otherwise. Funny.

An adaptor just arrived apparently, been waiting a while for that. When I get home will test stuff and see if it works. Im thinking 50/50 odds, fingers crossed! I detest fixing things :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Tony Takoushi was interviewed on The Retro Hour this week and he had a Radarscope. Tried to move it down a stairs by himself and almost got crushed by it.

Dinner done, open up a packet with a spank-licious new Capcom adapter. Ghosts n goblins board looks nice and clean, been sitting there waiting for this adapter for ages. All set.

DSC-0967.jpg

Get it all hooked up, and...

DSC-0971.jpg

...whaaat?! A bootleg version of ghosts n goblins?!

In reality, the game booted once, no problem. Had a quick go. Powered down and dipped the pcb in honey to stop rust, powered back up and...nothing :(

Another one for the repairs. Board is very good condition for having not being powered on in this century, maybe just a reseat of roms will do the trick. Oh well :/

Tony Takoushi was interviewed on The Retro Hour this week and he had a Radarscope. Tried to move it down a stairs by himself and almost got crushed by it.

Not recommended. Its not the heaviest cabinet by a long shot, but a couple hundred pounds falling on top of you is nothing to laugh about, especially when theres nobody around to hear you laughing/dying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In reality, the game booted once, no problem. Had a quick go. Powered down and dipped the pcb in honey to stop rust, powered back up and...nothing :(

Honey?

don't think I be heard of honey been put on a board before.
    You check your voltages?
    Resetting roms normally clear some graphic issues

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Honey?

I used to pre-pickle my games in vinegar, but I found honey to do the trick just as well. It encourages bees to make hives in your cabinets, but you cant have everything :P

don't think I be heard of honey been put on a board before.
    You check your voltages?
    Resetting roms normally clear some graphic issues

I haven't checked diddly squat, I looked at the board with great intensity but it didn't do anything either!

I'll get around to it at some later stage when im not as lazy. Its a great game though, very difficult but fair at the same time (besides the double-back thing, that's just tomfoolery, capcom)

Dude you need to check those as a 1st step and do it as std practice especially with games this old and haven't been powered on in a good while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to pre-pickle my games in vinegar, but I found honey to do the trick just as well. It encourages bees to make hives in your cabinets, but you cant have everything :P

Listen son, you might want to stop smoking that sh1t...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Honey?

tumblr_mt6nfwk1sH1siso9jo7_250.gif

Nice bargain there!
    How are you going to do the AV mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nice bargain there!
    How are you going to do the AV mod?

Might just leave as original, as I have another famicon I can av mod....

Could always ask for help from some one here........

See how I feel.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just got a call off a shipping company.

My Cyber Lead arrives tomorrow. I honestly forgot about it. Had thing go viral online last weekend so I pretty much had to deal with that and had enough of the internet after that :D

Can't wait till it arrives now

I didn't even remember to get a converter, I got the last one in an electronic shop down town. Anyone have a recommendation for one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

I didn't even remember to get a converter, I got the last one in an electronic shop down town. Anyone have a recommendation for one?

New cab to look forward to congrats man , I’ve got Airlink converters for my cabs they are on the expensive side , but they do come highly recommended .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement