Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And I also bought Diddy Kong Racing, whose only problem was the frame rate which will benefit from the NTSC boost.

Also has the problem of tooth ache inducing Rare sweetness factor :P

But yeah, N64 racing games suffer awfully on PAL systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also has the problem of tooth ache inducing Rare sweetness factor :P

But yeah, N64 racing games suffer awfully on PAL systems.

Mickey's Speedway USA is surprisingly good as well, feels like a rebadged version of what Mario Kart 64 could have been, with proper polygonal tracks and racer models.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mickey's Speedway USA is surprisingly good as well, feels like a rebadged version of what Mario Kart 64 could have been, with proper polygonal tracks and racer models.

And bland track design. Never that big a fan of it. It's kind of like Diddy Kong Racing and CTR, bland track design but I feel those two games did a bit more to keep it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Picked up a few box protectors, one for Shenmue 1, Shenmue 2 and this bad boy;

IMG-20190123-190928733.jpg

I've actually been so paranoid about the outer sleeve getting damaged that I've had it in the packet it was delivered in 6-7 years ago. Can finally store it away properly on a shelf now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

o1s1n wrote: »
    Picked up a few box protectors, one for Shenmue 1, Shenmue 2 and this bad boy;

I've actually been so paranoid about the outer sleeve getting damaged that I've had it in the packet it was delivered in 6-7 years ago. Can finally store it away probably on a shelf now! :)

I make them from acetate and hot glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I need a protector for Shenmue 2 so if anyone else is considering an order let me know so we can split shipping costs :P

That looks like a decent Panzer Dragoon. It scares me how many times I see listings for it missing the sleeve or a disc!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I need a protector for Shenmue 2 so if anyone else is considering an order let me know so we can split shipping costs :P

That looks like a decent Panzer Dragoon. It scares me how many times I see listings for it missing the sleeve or a disc!

Yeah the condition of that PDS is great. The outer box is in good nick too and a lot fresher than most copies you see floating about. No tears at all, just a bit of wear on the corners.

Must give it another playthrough, haven't since Retr0gamer gave me a lend of his copy the guts of a decade ago :D

Here's the guy I bought those protectors from. Not the cheapest things in the world, but they definitely do the trick.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Sega-Saturn-Game-Big-Box-PROTECTOR-Strong-0-5mm-Plastic-Display-Case/222726965534?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Hoping the Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2 remakes convince Sega to get M2 to emulate PDS for modern systems and PC.

There was a lot of buzz last year with the game's 20th anniversary, a lot of articles written about journalists playing it for the first time and discovering how special it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Fingers crossed for a 20th Anniversary HD remake of Legend of Dragoon this year. :pac

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed for a 20th Anniversary HD remake of Legend of Dragoon this year. :pac

It will make good kindling for the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Does this count ? I got it a few days ago - I think it falls under retro - needs a bit of work but will look great in the games room when done

IMG-20190124-202439-1.jpg

I like it,
    Does it work?
    Mine is like this one.
    https://www.fruitmachineworld.com/ritz-cd-jukebox---sound-leisure---60-cd-player-1065-p.asp

Currently needs some work.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Does this count ? I got it a few days ago - I think it falls under retro - needs a bit of work but will look great in the games room when done

IMG-20190124-202439-1.jpg

That is pretty amazing

I like it,
    Does it work?
    Mine is like this one.
    https://www.fruitmachineworld.com/ritz-cd-jukebox---sound-leisure---60-cd-player-1065-p.asp

Currently needs some work.......

It's working now - wasn't when I bought it a few days ago - I took a chance and it paid off big time - only paid 100 yo-yos for it
    It's a 70 CD unit

It's working now - wasn't when I bought it a few days ago - I took a chance and it paid off big time - only paid 100 yo-yos for it
    It's a 70 CD unit

Mine was toast when I got it too.Acid damage on the mobo/amp.It had been sitting in a lock up for 5+ years.
    cleaned it up and it worked for 6 months then something else died in it and I couldn't revive it.
    Had a friend write a program that runs on a rpi and we interfaced it with the buttons so you would never know.Also replaced the 7seg display with an LCD so the track name comes up.
    Was a nightmare getting all the files named and in the correct order to match the selection cards!!

It had some very annoying problems when it was original.

-random mode would play the same songs in the same order every time!
    -It was only mono !!!
    -No option to play all of a CD (this is very useful in the home environment )

Mine was toast when I got it too.Acid damage on the mobo/amp.It had been sitting in a lock up for 5+ years.
    cleaned it up and it worked for 6 months then something else died in it and I couldn't revive it.
    Had a friend write a program that runs on a rpi and we interfaced it with the buttons so you would never know.Also replaced the 7seg display with an LCD so the track name comes up.
    Was a nightmare getting all the files named and in the correct order to match the selection cards!!

It had some very annoying problems when it was original.

-random mode would play the same songs in the same order every time!
    -It was only mono !!!
    -No option to play all of a CD (this is very useful in the home environment )

Great idea to program the RPi and put in the LCD Display !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

It's a 70 CD unit
    Interesting, I didn't think CDs came out until the early eighties, or were the only available commercially pre-eighties, tell me it was it full of CDS:eek:

Interesting, I didn't think CDs came out until the early eighties, or were the only available commercially pre-eighties, tell me it was it full of CDS:eek:
    It had about 40 CDs in it - mostly originals, some copied on CD-Rs :D
    Still - nice for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

It had about 40 CDs in it - mostly originals, some copied on CD-Rs :D
    Still - nice for the price

I misread that as its a seventies cd unit:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The NES accumulation continues.

IMAG0389.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Nice NES gets from the Arcade & Retro Completionist!

And that Juke box..... Oh my!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Is it because you want his games or vice versa? :P
    Of course, so he can buy them and sell them again, duh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Of course, so he can buy them and sell them again, duh

This was quoting a post from four and a half years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

This was quoting a post from four and a half years ago!
    Sorry swore I was on latest post it goes back to the first page every so often on mine, got a great laugh off that so don't mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Had a sec to throw this together. Just got the Lumafix64 as I tried this before and the image quality from the C64 was shocken.

So we have;
    C64 (I believe its a C64C mainboard)
    +SD2IEC (no cable version) - emulates the Commodore-1541 floppy disk drive, SD Card goodness!
    +JiffyDOS - Disk Operating System (DOS) enhancement, speeds up disk loading as the SD2IEC functions the same speed as a real drive, so even this enhancment speeds it up
    +RetroTINK-2X - a ultra-low latency line doubler to convert component, S-video and composite video sources (plus audio) to HDMI
    +Lumafix64 - works to remove the interference stripes that effects all C64
    ...all connected to a LCD TV via HDMI. Doesn't look that bad.

There is a MixSID in there which doesn't sound great, i think one of the SIDs isn't 100%

Now, recommend a game :)

472019.jpg

Yup, that telephone is an old type converted to work on a modern phone line...never used though

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Had a sec to throw this together. Just got the Lumafix64 as I tried this before and the image quality from the C64 was shocken.

So we have;
    C64 (I believe its a C64C mainboard)
    +SD2IEC (no cable version) - emulates the Commodore-1541 floppy disk drive, SD Card goodness!
    +JiffyDOS - Disk Operating System (DOS) enhancement, speeds up disk loading as the SD2IEC functions the same speed as a real drive, so even this enhancment speeds it up
    +RetroTINK-2X - a ultra-low latency line doubler to convert component, S-video and composite video sources (plus audio) to HDMI
    +Lumafix64 - works to remove the interference stripes that effects all C64
    ...all connected to a LCD TV via HDMI. Doesn't look that bad.

There is a MixSID in there which doesn't sound great, i think one of the SIDs isn't 100%

Now, recommend a game :)

472019.jpg

Yup, that telephone is an old type converted to work on a modern phone line...never used though

Very Nice !!

How are you finding the RetroTINK ? Have you tried it with anything else ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Very Nice !!

How are you finding the RetroTINK ? Have you tried it with anything else ??

A Spectrum 48K, but I was using a OSSC is a hacked setup. Looked.ok considering. If scanlines aren't a requirement and you want/need to use a HDMI in to your TV, I'd recommend it. Quite a simple device

So, my three N64 games arrived from Japan, Super Mario 64 and Waverace 64, both the rumble editions, and Diddy Kong Racing, for the casually racist hub character.... I mean it's a fun game and being NTSC should make the frame-rate that bit better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Something I picked up a while ago, nice condition! Only a little cosmetic work here and there, need to go over voltages and such. Very neat little cabinets :)

radarscope22.jpg

Don't ask why I glued it to the ceiling, I just did :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement