Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What the... I'm waiting on my copy too, last I heard it was going for the final UMD print and have heard nothing since :(

Well I only got mine this morning. Looking at the gaijinworks website they are working on Class of Heroes 3 so there could be another UMD release.

It was posted on the 22nd. Also the return address is personally addressed to Victor Ireland... wouldn't be surprised if he hand packed each one personally knowing him :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Myrddin wrote: »
    Some SFC goodies

So those are Japanese carts? Is the game still in English automatically or do you have to manually change it to English in the options?

Ps. Those carts look in great nick. Why would you buy Japanese carts aside from European pal ones though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

timthumbni wrote: »
    So those are Japanese carts? Is the game still in English automatically or do you have to manually change it to English in the options?

Ps. Those carts look in great nick. Why would you buy Japanese carts aside from European pal ones though?

Price and availability.
    As said elsewhere, Super Metroid here costs a fortune, even unboxed.
    As long as you have a console that can run it the NTSC/J cart is cheaper by far and runs faster and without annoying letterboxing on screen.
    Plus, you get english text, which is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Arnt chaps around here now swapping out the chips in carts for a flashed engligh version. Easy way to play Earthbound on a lefit Mother 2 cart

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Arnt chaps around here now swapping out the chips in carts for a flashed engligh version. Easy way to play Earthbound on a lefit Mother 2 cart

I have that done, and it really just makes me feel a little better that while I can't afford Earthbound I can still avoid using a flash cart and instead have a reprogrammed authentic cart of Mother 2.
    I have had it done with the aforementioned and also to sort out a copy of Super Mario RPG for the Snes that some cunning stunt swapped the US pcb out for the Jap one, having the appropriate eprom flashed with the Eng rom bin and then installed meant that collar and cuffs matched!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

timthumbni wrote: »

Yep, Super Famicom carts. Not all games have english options, so you have to pick & choose which games to buy for this format. It goes without saying that any rpg's will be unplayable unless you can read Japanese...but there are tons of other games where there is a) an english language option, b) no text at all so it doesn't matter, or c) the text isn't an integral part of the game so you can play it perfectly fine.
    Why would you buy Japanese carts aside from European pal ones though?

Several reasons:

1) They're in 60Hz, not like the crappy PAL ones which play at 50Hz. This means the game plays at the speed it was designed to play at, and not the slowed down versions we got in Europe.
    2) Often, the Japanese artwork is way better than the other regions.
    3) Many sellers in Japan offer free international postage, & may even mark the value down so you won't get stung for customs.
    4) The prices are way, way, way better than PAL versions. There's far less "zomg dese gamez are old so must be wurth a forchoone". I see common as muck PAL carts getting sold here for four or five times the price of the Japanese equivalent.

I've a few US carts too, and I used to buy US where possible for most of the above reasons. However the value is rising on US collecting now...and for whatever reason, the shipping for carts is getting so expensive it puts me off buying US these day (some of the shipping is downright stupid).

Picked up a lovely little 14" Sony Trinitron today, €20 only and soon to have a Raspberry PI Zero inside it.
    Going to use a simple PC pad I'm hoping I'll be able to locate a 5v current inside the TV casing, to power the PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Sounds like a nice tidy project, all in one, I like it. PIs seem to be literally the best thing since sliced bread for the arcade and retro modders everywhere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Picked up a lovely little 14" Sony Trinitron today, €20 only and soon to have a Raspberry PI Zero inside it.
    Going to use a simple PC pad I'm hoping I'll be able to locate a 5v current inside the TV casing, to power the PI.

Only seen this the other day, handy quick mod. cant find zero's in stock anywhere though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EczUrViGAbE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Does the pi output 240p ?

• Advertisement

You can pull a composite signal from the board of the Pi0, not going to be as crispy as an RGB one but, on the Trini it'll look as good as it can, smashing tube on those sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

so nobody has rgb 60hz modded the pi yet no ? :^)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭BGOllie

got these in today
    feels great to have a legitimate version of these at long last :D
    it's also a hint at tomorrow's next cover :)

13138745_10154170062628276_5478396690392213251_n.jpg?oh=920985b54e19bda3d3ad56c1c86c4cde&oe=57A1B9B6

Has to be Turrican, you did Megablast already!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not exactly retro, but the games sure look retro :)

0INjv2R.jpg
    ppE6gog.jpg
    SzhTPTN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I think it's time to change the name again Steve.

01-2016-bmw-x5-xdrive40e-review-1.jpg

I think it's time to change the name again Steve.

01-2016-bmw-x5-xdrive40e-review-1.jpg

Well, they had it in 5 colours. Whats a guy to do? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

They look great Steve. How do the d-pad and buttons feel? I'd thank your post except it has 5 already. I like that symmetry. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    They look great Steve. How do the d-pad and buttons feel? I'd thank your post except it has 5 already. I like that symmetry. :)

The buttons feel surprisingly good. Not fantastic or anything but perfectly fine for something like this. But the screen, it's a really nice little OLED display.
    I've uploaded a few games and demos to it and with the right game this thing really could be something I'd bring around with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

More for nostalgia really (lets face it, they pale in comparison to the arcade versions), but I'd some damn good times playing these games back yonder...& what Snes collection is complete without at least one of them! €20 for all three with free registered post from Japan, very hard to argue with that. Language really isn't an issue here at all either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Doge

Gotta love the little origami dude they sent also! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Not retro really but two gets I've been wanting for a long time finally arrived. Plenty of others but these have been on the list an age.

Sorry if the images are massive, could a mod please delete if they are.

IMG_20160508_0243102.jpg

IMG_20160427_2124382.jpg

New PI in the house, traded for a DSlite and a copy of Super Princess Peach.
    Should fit into the Sony Trini 14" nicely.
    Onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    New PI in the house, traded for a DSlite and a copy of Super Princess Peach.
    Should fit into the Sony Trini 14" nicely.
    Onwards!

Least you didnt get this one :
    http://www.adverts.ie/10453909
    :O

eddhorse wrote: »
    Least you didnt get this one :
    http://www.adverts.ie/10453909
    :O

Sorry, I just had to comment there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Some service charge for copying a few roms alright..

Some service charge for copying a few roms alright..

He's a true believer too, still reckons his time in setting up the emulators is worth the €55 premium he's charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Comments deleted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭BGOllie

charity shop finds yesterday :) €5 altogether
    13178564_10154189542373276_8239347243599897643_n.jpg?oh=ddc976706e449a396de193a71246d7a1&oe=57E4A56F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

BGOllie wrote: »
    charity shop finds yesterday :) €5 altogether
    Lucky, been wanting eternal darkness for a while, all complete ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement