Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

o1s1n wrote: »
    The print quality on that looks amazing.

I thought the spine was going to fold out flatter though? (could have sworn he made a post ages ago saying that the artwork wouldnt disappear down the middle, which it looks to be)

Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The print quality on that looks amazing.

I thought the spine was going to fold out flatter though? (could have sworn he made a post ages ago saying that the artwork wouldnt disappear down the middle, which it looks to be)

Yeah, I remember him saying the book would lay flat. In fact, I think a few people(myself included) did bring up the possibility that part of the artwork might get lost in the bend/spine.
    Don’t get me wrong, the book is nice, very nice and I'm glad I went for it.

One weird thing, the page at the back that lists the Kickstarter backers is very short(one page), as in it definitely doesn't have the full list of names. I'm on it, as are a couple of peeps here, but the list is just weirdly short.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just had a look at the digital version, that's weird alright. Looks to be under 150 names there but the project had 514 backers.

I know you can normally back projects by a minimal amount as a token and not get anything, but that seems a bit disproportionate.

I'm there and famous though so that's all that matters :pac:

Edit - by the way I see our old friend Pyongyang Stg.Otaku Polyethylene sniffing GETs lover had an add for Pink Bullets put in way back.

Just had a look at the digital version, that's weird alright. Looks to be under 150 names there but the project had 514 backers.

I know you can normally back projects by a minimal amount as a token and not get anything, but that seems a bit disproportionate.

I'm there and famous though so that's all that matters :pac:

Yes, true, all the important people are there :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im not in it...

...But i know why, cause im cheap haha.. the £25 pledge, which got you the book, got you mentioned on the website not in the book. you had to pay £40 to get your name in the book. and i could live with out it haha

• Advertisement

Im not in it...

...But i know why, cause im cheap haha.. the £25 pledge, which got you the book, got you mentioned on the website not in the book. you had to pay £40 to get your name in the book. and i could live with out it haha

Really, that’s a bit cheeky of them. Normally if you back the book, you get your name in it.
    It’s usually just if you buy a mug or tshirt only to support them that you don’t get your name in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

My name and My G/Fs were in it, it was backed on her kick starter, no idea why we were both in it though.
    It's a cool book and mostly the quality is great. The spine is a bit disappointing, he did say it could lie flat so no artwork was hidden although I had my doubts this could be done. There is mistakes on some of the artwork. eg. compare defender with an actual scan/photo of a marquee.

My name and My G/Fs were in it, it was backed on her kick starter, no idea why we were both in it though.
    It's a cool book and mostly the quality is great. The spine is a bit disappointing, he did say it could lie flat so no artwork was hidden although I had my doubts this could be done. There is mistakes on some of the artwork. eg. compare defender with an actual scan/photo of a marquee.

Whatever about any text or page errors the artwork should be perfect as that was supposed to be his passion and he spent a crazy number of hours restoring what he had.
    Looks like the forgot to include some adverts people paid extra for as well.

Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Whatever about any text or page errors the artwork should be perfect as that was supposed to be his passion and he spent a crazy number of hours restoring what he had.

Any chance you've a link to all this unfolding gossip? I can't find it anywhere :D

Any chance you've a link to all this unfolding gossip? I can't find it anywhere :D

It's on the Kickstarter comments of the project. Look at the comments on the latest update and also the general comments section(don't have link, using the iPhone app).

• Advertisement

Steve X2 wrote: »

Digital download/book version
    2s60rpc.jpg

Actual Marquee
    2iik6s5.jpg

Random scan sourced through google
    5bxr42.png

Still a great book and glad to have it, had pretty much written off it ever happening.

Master of the Universe

Looks like it was cropped down to fit the aspect ratio of the book.

I wonder does it mean the rest are like that too?

Master of the Universe

Did a few comparisons, Death Race and Crazy Climber are also both cropped.

As is Wizards of Wor (and I'm not even a third the way through)

Feck this, I'm not comparing any more least I spoil the bloody book before it's in my hands :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Digital download/book version
    2s60rpc.jpg

Actual Marquee
    2iik6s5.jpg

They seem wildly different for a preservation effort no? Look at the blue & red lightning streaks, in the original they're way closer to the letter than in the book version. Then, there's stars added in to the book version to fill up the space between those streaks & the letters, that aren't there in the original... as far as preservation goes, that's kinda blasphemy. Are there different versions of the original maybe, that might explain it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

At least he spelled Defender correctly! :pac:

Ah it's not the worst to be fair, although having the page numbers overlap the images would annoy me more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Recent gets:

aZY2gF5l.jpg

Not the biggest burning rangers fan but had to pick it up since the price is going stratospheric. I've ignored US Saturn games for a while and I'm appalled at the prices the US games I want are going for. I really want Magic Knight Rayearth... Why did I ignore it when it was 80 euro.

Also got this. Steve Bailey was selling it and it just looks so awesome I had to buy it. It includes a VHS of a Game Paradise anime.

uaHmzCml.jpg

Myrddin wrote: »
    Are there different versions of the original maybe, that might explain it?
    Not that I've ever seen, and the copyright is always in the bottom right. Its like the defender and Williams writing was scaled too small for the marquee so they just made up stars and black space in between:eek:

Master of the Universe

So I it my hands on the book and yep, its gorgeous.

My favourite parts are actually more the high quality arcade photos than the marquees themselves. Just realised I'd love a book full of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

So I it my hands on the book and yep, its gorgeous.

My favourite parts are actually more the high quality arcade photos than the marquees themselves. Just realised I'd love a book full of that :)

I'd buy a book full of scans of candy cab control panels, some great tacky 80s\90s designs on them and I take a lot of ideas from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

airmax87 wrote: »
    I'd buy a book full of scans of candy cab control panels, some great tacky 80s\90s designs on them and I take a lot of ideas from them.

Off to kickstarter with you so! I'd back it

• Advertisement

Collected this today, picked it up on J+ couple of weeks ago, it pretty good nick overall and should come out well. Should get to it after I finish my current project. Controls work fine on 1p side and its jamma wired. 2 way joysticks will have to be changed for 4 ways though but theres not much space to work with, anyone got recomendations for sticks?

vEjY7HWm.jpg

NE86o11m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Well Mozie, you have lost it, the arcade fever has really taken over ! Looks im good nick.
    How did you get it over from the UK?

No idea on sticks for cocktails sorry.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Well Mozie, you have lost it, the arcade fever has really taken over ! Looks im good nick.
    How did you get it over from the UK?

No idea on sticks for cocktails sorry.

Been on the lookout for a cocktail for a bit, its about all I have room left for :D
    I know a guy who goes over there for work fairly regularly and he picked it up in the car, handy thing about cocktails I suppose there pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

The last few bits that postman delivered. Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the start button on the ps2 controller in that it doesn't work. :(

IMG_20160331_183709_zps10oiwi0o.jpg
    IMG_20160420_193411_zpsvsxzqphd.jpg
    IMG_20160418_185508_zpsjw2mjkcr.jpg[

Some SFC goodies

Have to laugh at Haggar's pose in the FF1 cart art...it's like, "Aww ffs, not these eejits again"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Doge

Had no idea there was a Final Fight 2 and 3! Were theY exclusively on the SNES, or released for arcade too.

Doge wrote: »
    Had no idea there was a Final Fight 2 and 3! Were theY exclusively on the SNES, or released for arcade too.

Snes exclusives. There's also Final Fight Guy, & Final Fight Tough for the Snes too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not retro but I think it counts.

I finally received Summon Night 5. It's a PSP UMD release from Victor Ireland's Gaijinworks. The box it was posted in was great, covered with artwork although it confused the postman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not retro but I think it counts.

I finally received Summon Night 5. It's a PSP UMD release but Victor Ireland's Gaijinworks. The box it was posted in was great, covered with artwork although it confused the postman.

What the... I'm waiting on my copy too, last I heard it was going for the final UMD print and have heard nothing since :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement