Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Personally just I much rather PAL artwork and game packaging presentation. I find it to be a lovely inbetween point with the originality of the Japanese artwork and the brashness of the US stuff.

I know in the end it's the games that matter, but most of the gear I collect can be switched between 50/60hz on consoles - so that's all fine :)

Plus there's not a chance in hell I'd have a collection of Sega 'Genesis' games :pac: they really lost the plot around that era in the US with their design, it's horrendous. Especially the later Genesis red branding and the Mega CD/32x stuff (yellow? seriously?!).

My main downfall is PS1. I've about 200 - 250 games and they're 99% PAL, no going back there :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've always disliked Genesis carts, they actually feel a lesser quality compared to the PAL ones. Megadrive all the way really. It's a plus that the Jap Megadrive stuff is very expensive, so there's no temptation at all to buy NTSC when it comes to that system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Japanese megadrive games really are the bee knees. Best artwork, 60HZ, full colour manuals. The price is pretty insane for the likes of true lies and comix zone and plenty of others. Luckily my MD collection is PAL but can benefit from a modded console.

My PS1 collection is the real shocking aswell. So many gems but all at 50Hz...and near a sign of running them at 60Hz and I dont know of any HDD ps1 console mod that can be done yet

apocalypse3.jpg

I dont know of any HDD ps1 console mod that can be done yet

The PSIO seems pretty sweet. I fit the control board into a PS1 for a user here a few months back, & it seemed to run a lot of stuff no problem (there was still some bugs relating to certain audio tracks in games iirc, but otherwise all good)

Hmm interesting...i must pick up one of them eventually

and here I was like a sucker thinking of spending all my money when I go to america in 2 weeks :D

Side note: I'll be in Las Vegas and Vancouver in 2 weeks, definitly going to go to gamedeals when im there, anyone wants me to keep an eye out for anything let me know

• Advertisement

Side note: I'll be in Las Vegas and Vancouver in 2 weeks, definitly going to go to gamedeals when im there, anyone wants me to keep an eye out for anything let me know

I'll pm you my wanted list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Relikk

Myrddin wrote: »
    there was still some bugs relating to certain audio tracks in games iirc, but otherwise all good)

I discovered that was actually my fault when I got home. The name on the .cu2 file was slightly different than the disc image. :o

^^ Even better so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

anyone wants me to keep an eye out for anything let me know

Any cheap loose 5200 games please!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Hi I'm kinda new here but plan of hanging around..

I want to share some pics of some crusty cabs me and buddy got for free.

Sega Rally left and right cabs and silent scope.

fuX9juim.jpg

9UDypCpm.jpg

E9AUO93m.jpg

aJxtQwFm.jpg

Just dropped them to storage so didn't get a chance to power them on.

Right Sega had a Out of Order poster so the hope is to get one functional from the pair (one unit donates to the other)

Silent scope is very tidy inside so high hopes that she fires right up, if the gun is broken its lights out for that game and the cab might make a good base for a jamma cabinet.

Thoughts, tips or ideas anyone?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Any chance you could make the pics a bit bigger? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Any chance you could make the pics a bit bigger? :pac:

Fixed the pic sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

bingobars wrote: »
    Hi I'm kinda new here but plan of hanging around..

I want to share some pics of some crusty cabs me and buddy got for free.

Sega Rally left and right cabs and silent scope.

fuX9juim.jpg

9UDypCpm.jpg

E9AUO93m.jpg

aJxtQwFm.jpg

Just dropped them to storage so didn't get a chance to power them on.

Right Sega had a Out of Order poster so the hope is to get one functional from the pair (one unit donates to the other)

Silent scope is very tidy inside so high hopes that she fires right up, if the gun is broken its lights out for that game and the cab might make a good base for a jamma cabinet.

Cheers

You're not based in Cork by any chance?

A friend I know mentioned getting a Silent Scope cab a few months ago!

Doge wrote: »
    You're not based in Cork by any chance?

A friend I know mentioned getting a Silent Scope cab a few months ago!

Sure am. Can't be a coincidence :)

Very cool ,
    some big ass games.
    Looking forward to seeing them fixed up.
    Do you know the history of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Best of luck with them, give them a good check over before you power them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

Sure am. Can't be a coincidence :)

It was "Mister See" who was saying it to me, small word hehe! :D

Welcome to Arcade And Retro!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cheers

Ahhh whatever you do, don't do this! :pac:

The LCD might be gone on the gun but I had a quick look and there are two guys selling full working guns for it on eBay for not too mental prices.

A replacement LCD is also possible but a bit hard to find. Apparently it accepts rgb in which is a little uncommon for an LCD of that size.

Buy I definitely wouldn't be turning it into a standard Jamma cab. Would always just look like someone butchered a silent scope :(

Good luck anyway! I'd kill for a dedicated driver/shooter, you lucky fecker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Personally just I much rather PAL artwork and game packaging presentation. I find it to be a lovely inbetween point with the originality of the Japanese artwork and the brashness of the US stuff.

I know in the end it's the games that matter, but most of the gear I collect can be switched between 50/60hz on consoles - so that's all fine :)

Plus there's not a chance in hell I'd have a collection of Sega 'Genesis' games :pac: they really lost the plot around that era in the US with their design, it's horrendous. Especially the later Genesis red branding and the Mega CD/32x stuff (yellow? seriously?!).

My main downfall is PS1. I've about 200 - 250 games and they're 99% PAL, no going back there :eek:

PRR3n.jpg

The one time US box art is better and its Mexican.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

After a long wait I finally got my Super Famicom art book, it's funny it arrived In the middle of a discussion about box art. I picked up some capsule toys and other bits from Steve Bailey.

Screenshot_2016-05-26-17-41-10_zpsbl2r1tys.png
    P1070570_zpsf9ov7d5n.jpg

• Advertisement

Saw that super famicom book yesterday for around €36 delivered, is it worth it?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Best of luck with them, give them a good check over before you power them up.

Will give it a blast of an airhose and make sure there are no kittens in it but what else would you recommend?

Will take this into another thread when we get going.
    Doge wrote: »
    It was "Mister See" who was saying it to me, small word hehe! :D

Welcome to Arcade And Retro!

Haha yea, very..
    Very cool ,
    some big ass games.
    Looking forward to seeing them fixed up.
    Do you know the history of them?

Large amusement arcade history, pulled when they became unprofitable (right Sega rally was OOO) then pushed to the back of a cold dry warehouse for 5+ years.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ahhh whatever you do, don't do this! :pac:

The LCD might be gone on the gun but I had a quick look and there are two guys selling full working guns for it on eBay for not too mental prices.

A replacement LCD is also possible but a bit hard to find. Apparently it accepts rgb in which is a little uncommon for an LCD of that size.

Buy I definitely wouldn't be turning it into a standard Jamma cab. Would always just look like someone butchered a silent scope :(

Good luck anyway! I'd kill for a dedicated driver/shooter, you lucky fecker :D

OK maybe will hold back with the meat cleavers but investing in it and keeping it specific to one dimension of shooters doesn't sound ideal. Maybe doing a 1/2 chop job and adding some time crisis guns would be a good compromise?

Id love to run Big Buck Hunter but is that something you can easily do on a jamma cab?

OK maybe will hold back with the meat cleavers but investing in it and keeping it specific to one dimension of shooters doesn't sound ideal. Maybe doing a 1/2 chop job and adding some time crisis guns would be a good compromise?

Id love to run Big Buck Hunter but is that something you can easily do on a jamma cab?

He's a chopper! Ban him, quick!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Saw that super famicom book yesterday for around €36 delivered, is it worth it?

I do, there's a little description of each game followed by a piece about the cover. A few games in you have Assault Suits, then you think what the west had in comparison. I'm looking forward to going through it and finding out more about covers I recognised but knew little about, it seems well put together and the finish is nice.

P1070578_zpsq4cyxj2o.jpg

50590_front.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Will give it a blast of an airhose and make sure there are no kittens in it but what else would you recommend?

Will take this into another thread when we get going.

Unplug any game board pcbs, use a multimeter to check voltages with the manual at hand.
    Check power supplies/ transformer and monitor chassis voltages carefully before plugging in the PCB's.
    Ed's 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Mario-64-shirt2.jpg

Thanks, Pennys.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

I have spare guns, the wiring to the scope screen gives issues,also if they haven't been powered up the battery goes on the board think it gives an error 22

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Don't really buy games magazines any more but had to get this once I spotted the cover. Didn't we first hear about it back in the PS2 days, or towards the end of them? Certainly feels that old anyway. :)

L9I5QdU.jpg

• Advertisement

6/10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement