Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

handbagmad wrote: »
    Weekends suck!!!

Wait what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I hate the weekend. I'd rather be in work or at college than sitting at home on my own with not much to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

handbagmad wrote: »
    Weekends suck!!!

Blasphemy

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I was on the phone to the Samaritans for half an hour last night while contemplating killing myself

I was on the phone to the Samaritans for half an hour last night while contemplating killing myself

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it. Did you get some sleep? Feel free to talk about anything you can here. Folks are very helpful on here.

• Advertisement

shezer wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it. Did you get some sleep? Feel free to talk about anything you can here. Folks are very helpful on here.

Yeah I did. I was absolutely slaughtered drunk and left my friends in a club and walked down to the river I just couldn't take any more

Yeah I did. I was absolutely slaughtered drunk and left my friends in a club and walked down to the river I just couldn't take any more

As you were probably told, alcohol is a depressant and it can affect your thoughts and feelings. Were you feeling down before you went out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Found this. Personally speaking, there's a whole lot of truth in this.

http://www.families.com/blog/antidepressants-are-anti-loneliness-pills

As you were probably told, alcohol is a depressant and it can affect your thoughts and feelings. Were you feeling down before you went out?

Yeah I did earlier yesterday actually and today

Yeah I did earlier yesterday actually and today

The day after the booze is almost always difficult. Don't bother trying to address yesterdays problem now. Try and relax. Don't ruminate(we all do this after a night on the booze). The only thing that matters right now is you. Nothing or no one else in the world is important right now. Don't think about yesterday right now. Think about tomorrow.

• Advertisement

The day after the booze is almost always difficult. Don't bother trying to address yesterdays problem now. Try and relax. Don't ruminate(we all do this after a night on the booze). The only thing that matters right now is you. Nothing or no one else in the world is important right now. Don't think about yesterday right now. Think about tomorrow.

Thank you. I've booked a counselling session

Thank you. I've booked a counselling session
    First step in the right direction

Inside listening to the rain or Outside dancing in the rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Inside listening to the rain or Outside dancing in the rain?

Inside in bed listening to the rain. It's kinda calming actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Bit of both

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dr.Alucard

Inside in bed listening to the rain. It's kinda calming actually.

I love being all warm and wrapped in my bed sheets listening to the rain and its windy out. Its so comforting to have a place to be warm and cosy in contrast to the turbulence outside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

So so worried and depressed tonight, worried about my eyesight is it down to anxiety or at best I've damaged my long distance vision through too much computer use etc. I don't want to go to bed because I feel so on edge and anxious in it - even my eyes feel like they're being stuck open with glue - and I'll just sit there and think sadly. On my own. With nobody who understands me in my own life or hell even online. I had my chance of that in what seems another lifetime two years ago and messed it up completely. That was even before this thing kicked off to epic proportions. I had high hopes for myself to be fair...but this is going downhill steeply now one thing after another. I can cope to a certain extent myself, I need a friend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

It would be cool if there was a chatroom type thing on this site.

fr336 wrote: »
    So so worried and depressed tonight, worried about my eyesight is it down to anxiety or at best I've damaged my long distance vision through too much computer use etc. I don't want to go to bed because I feel so on edge and anxious in it - even my eyes feel like they're being stuck open with glue - and I'll just sit there and think sadly. On my own. With nobody who understands me in my own life or hell even online. I had my chance of that in what seems another lifetime two years ago and messed it up completely. That was even before this thing kicked off to epic proportions. I had high hopes for myself to be fair...but this is going downhill steeply now one thing after another. I can cope to a certain extent myself, I need a friend :(

What do you mean by you had your chance? Plenty of people on here to chat to ;)

What do you mean by you had your chance? Plenty of people on here to chat to ;)

Thank you :) I do feel a bother though, even to those people I message all the time about lots of different things :o

I had a chance with a girl a while back that delivered on every level including an amazing friendship - of course I messed it all up and she wouldn't look at me on the street now. I know there will be loads more girls like that out there (and indeed people) but somehow I can't snap out of it with her..like my rational side knows this to be the case but my mind deep down still wants her bad. Maybe because I also connected her to a lot of things that were about to go right for me. Oh well got to look forward.......

• Advertisement

Thank you :) I do feel a bother though, even to those people I message all the time about lots of different things :o

I had a chance with a girl a while back that delivered on every level including an amazing friendship - of course I messed it all up and she wouldn't look at me on the street now. I know there will be loads more girls like that out there (and indeed people) but somehow I can't snap out of it with her..like my rational side knows this to be the case but my mind deep down still wants her bad. Maybe because I also connected her to a lot of things that were about to go right for me. Oh well got to look forward.......

Time...you have it. Use it. Stay busy. People come, people go.

Time...you have it. Use it. Stay busy. People come, people go.

For sure. It's just tough when the anxiety / depression / sleep deprivation is the root to everything, so my life currently is on hold. I don't want to take medication as I have seen spots of salvation myself in the form of just a few days of good diet and exercise. It's just so so hard to get back into this after you break it, and I know this sounds insulting to people who can't get out of a hole without medication, but I am just a weakling clearly.

For sure. It's just tough when the anxiety / depression / sleep deprivation is the root to everything, so my life currently is on hold. I don't want to take medication as I have seen spots of salvation myself in the form of just a few days of good diet and exercise. It's just so so hard to get back into this after you break it, and I know this sounds insulting to people who can't get out of a hole without medication, but I am just a weakling clearly.

Do you think your break up is the root cause of your anxiety/depression?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Meh I'm the same. and am now bummed by family conflict that is nothing to do with me, but I got embroiled in. fantastic. One of those arguments you see both sides with - one: antagonist just being themselves, maybe inadvertantly annoying the other person; two: the other perso legitimately having enough of being patronised. Dunno why I'm even posting this but I have a delayed reaction and am kicking myself for ignoring it but also praising myslef for ignoring and not getting involved and upset. grrr life.

stinkle wrote: »
    Meh I'm the same. and am now bummed by family conflict that is nothing to do with me, but I got embroiled in. fantastic. One of those arguments you see both sides with - one: antagonist just being themselves, maybe inadvertantly annoying the other person; two: the other perso legitimately having enough of being patronised. Dunno why I'm even posting this but I have a delayed reaction and am kicking myself for ignoring it but also praising myslef for ignoring and not getting involved and upset. grrr life.

Do you live at home with your family?

Do you think your break up is the root cause of your anxiety/depression?

Not really - I mean it'd be foolish to say it didn't have an impact but I've seen them as two seperate things to be completely honest. While that had me very sad and still does, it's kind of more symbolism than cause to me (though it didn't help). The root cause is underlying sleep issues which built up for years simply not having enough sleep. Which was fine when I did practically nothing with my life bar barely scrape through school, do a little better at college then work and do uni on and off for a few years. But when I finally grew up and wanted to turn my life around, that's when the sleep thing stirred its head once and for all. And I messed it up even more! So got in a total mess for the last two years and only now finally knowing how to deal with it once and for all. I just don't have the strength to do it fast enough though, and some worrying health symptoms are catching up with me. They may just be down to the sleep deprivation and anxiety, or they may be permanent. I'm just thick as anything basically, shezer. I've got to be up at 6:30 for uni in the morning, clever aren't I.

stinkle wrote: »

Always write it or talk about it. One of the cliches to end them all, but it does feel better.

Not really - I mean it'd be foolish to say it didn't have an impact but I've seen them as two seperate things to be completely honest. While that had me very sad and still does, it's kind of more symbolism than cause to me (though it didn't help). The root cause is underlying sleep issues which built up for years simply not having enough sleep. Which was fine when I did practically nothing with my life bar barely scrape through school, do a little better at college then work and do uni on and off for a few years. But when I finally grew up and wanted to turn my life around, that's when the sleep thing stirred its head once and for all. And I messed it up even more! So got in a total mess for the last two years and only now finally knowing how to deal with it once and for all. I just don't have the strength to do it fast enough though, and some worrying health symptoms are catching up with me. They may just be down to the sleep deprivation and anxiety, or they may be permanent. I'm just thick as anything basically, shezer. I've got to be up at 6:30 for uni in the morning, clever aren't I.

Hardly thick. Come on now. Stop beating yourself up. If you fear the worst with your eyesight, then you can mentally prepare yourself for it(eg. I have to get glasses, contact lenses, laser surgery.) When is the last time you had a good sleep?

Hardly thick. Come on now. Stop beating yourself up. If you fear the worst with your eyesight, then you can mentally prepare yourself for it(eg. I have to get glasses, contact lenses, laser surgery.) When is the last time you had a good sleep?

Well yes, like 10% of me is prepared and knows how normal it is and the old myth that glasses can in themselves worsen your eyesight is just that, but still..I'm such a baby (at 25 years of age) that I can't believe this has happened and even a year ago this wouldn't be happening. How self obsessed / selfish am I? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh and last time I had a good sleep was years ago. Since I started taking things for what they were, rather than getting myself up in a heap and not getting anywhere, I have had the occasional "potentially good" sleep. But just can't find the strength and focus to make it consistent...I need to reach for junk food or whatever as an outlet. I'd also like to cry but don't want to do that either. I'm just impossible right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement