Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Anyone know how long it takes to process a medical card application? Sent mine off a week and a half ago and no word back since.

Did you get an application number? If so you can check it online.
    If you posted it in, you'll get a text. My buddies was sorted in 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Jesus I hope its two weeks rather than six! I have checked online but I don't trust those things. I'll ring tomorrow to see if they've received it. Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Sent that email. Yes it took me that long. Deleting, editing, deciding I wasn't going to send it, telling myself i have to and so forth. Now the wait. I'll post how long it takes to get seen by a HSE psychiatrist just incase someone if the future goes searching for the same question to be answered. Thanks for the help! :)
    Congratulations on getting that done! Hopefully, you won't have to wait long.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have been doing well of late but I'm struggling through a medical problem at the moment and it just seems like a proper resolution is just out of my reach and anytime I think I get close, it moves a bit further away.

Had another delay today and it's just dragging me down at this point. I've lost my spark in work, just feel rotten all the time. I recently started playing football again (which made me feel great) but today my doctor told me I need to stop 'cause it's too risky, don't know when I'll be back at it. Just really gets me down 'cause it was something that kept me going but now it's been taking away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Feeling very lonely at the moment, still thinking a lot about death. I could snap out of it if I want to and it's not necessarily negative in that hopefully it will inform life. I know it's two sides of a coin but there's so much hardship and suffering everywhere.

As most of us do I have an inquisitive mind and it just pisses me off that I can't figure life out. I know there's nothing to figure out but it feels like there is. And I know if I wasn't being curtailed by my neuroses I wouldn't be giving any of it a second thought and I suppose that's maybe the closest thing to a point yer gonna get.

I guess I'm just ruminating due to loneliness. I could walk out the door any day and build relationships potentially but I don't. Still rooted in the very core fear that I'm valueless. I don't understand how I can have such a feeling of unworthiness when logically I'm as worthy as just about anyone. But what was the difference in my development I wonder.

• Advertisement

Have been doing well of late but I'm struggling through a medical problem at the moment and it just seems like a proper resolution is just out of my reach and anytime I think I get close, it moves a bit further away.
    Hang in there, man.
    I recently started playing football again (which made me feel great) but today my doctor told me I need to stop 'cause it's too risky, don't know when I'll be back at it. Just really gets me down 'cause it was something that kept me going but now it's been taking away from me.
    Could you take up some other form of exercise like brisk walking, cycling, jogging (on grass preferably), swimming? Or join a gym?

If you like competing, and contact sports are out, how about something like badminton or tennis?

Easiest, if possible, would be either cycling or walking to work and back.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have a hernia (which is a side effect of my original problem) so I get the impression all strenuous physical activity is out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Have a potentially tricky situation this weekend.. Well my mind is playing tricks again, catastrophising etc.. Basically i live in a house here in vancouver with 10 others ( 12 if you include my selfish thoughtless housemate who decided his mates could move indefinitely)... One of the girls is throwing herself a birthday party and to be honest I'm dreading it.. While I get on with the people in the house, if only classify one or two as friends.. I'm 32, this girl is 21, and I basically feel uncomfortable in this kind of environment. Lad time there was a party in the house, i showed face for a while, made some excuse about having to work the following day and went to bed early.. A total lie.. Ultimately no one will care if I attend or not, and I know how absurd it all sounds. At this stage in my life, I simply couldn't be arse hanging around with a bunch of ****faced early 20 something's and pretend like in am friends with them.. Post over

Have a potentially tricky situation this weekend.. Well my mind is playing tricks again, catastrophising etc.. Basically i live in a house here in vancouver with 10 others ( 12 if you include my selfish thoughtless housemate who decided his mates could move indefinitely)... One of the girls is throwing herself a birthday party and to be honest I'm dreading it.. While I get on with the people in the house, if only classify one or two as friends.. I'm 32, this girl is 21, and I basically feel uncomfortable in this kind of environment. Lad time there was a party in the house, i showed face for a while, made some excuse about having to work the following day and went to bed early.. A total lie.. Ultimately no one will care if I attend or not, and I know how absurd it all sounds. At this stage in my life, I simply couldn't be arse hanging around with a bunch of ****faced early 20 something's and pretend like in am friends with them.. Post over

You're pushing on...:pac: Only joking. How do you know the 21 year old doesn't have any older pals? At the end of the day you live there so you have the upper hand already if anyone is annoying you.

On a side note-Your posts could be written by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Sorry, this is going to be weird:

free
    bird
    wings
    bridge
    nightmare
    sadness
    bright
    dark
    bland
    boring
    wish
    desire
    happiness
    out of reach
    lazy
    procrastinating
    binge eating
    unhappy
    unloved
    insight = help?
    psychology = vague
    broaden out the thoughts
    need to speed up slowly
    not me
    who is me
    blah flucking blah
    sick of it
    sick of it
    sick of my brain
    sick of life
    sick of people
    sick of my family
    sick of society
    sick
    sick
    sick to my stomach
    my creativity
    originality
    my me
    where am i
    is it still there
    my desperation disgusts me
    need cig
    alchohol
    mind numbing
    to wake the brain
    the brain is sleeping
    dormant
    will i ever get out of this trap they put me in
    i played a huge part
    what the **** is my defect
    i refuse to conform to the established structure of explaining
    its too ****ing limiting
    you need to learn it to explain your way out of it
    you need to become it
    to show that you are not it
    to realise yourself that you are not it
    it was all part of a game you played
    to stay distracted
    and got in too deep
    can i unlearn or overlearn what has already been imprinted in my every ****ing move
    emotion
    thought
    action
    its there its lingering
    i dont ****ing have the words
    jesus
    give me some
    extra astrocytes
    something
    something
    something.
    has it been building
    has the pscyhology corporation blinded truth
    how can i get to my truth
    should i avoid truth
    do i avoid truth in my convinving so called quest to find it
    am i going in circles
    yes i am going in circles
    am i crazy
    am i hazy
    am i daisey
    no im ( my name)
    im (name)
    im (name)
    i have a heart
    a brain
    a body
    i have a life
    i can have a life
    i have to have a life
    i know i can get the life
    if i work
    and find happiness
    all i need is success
    a purpose
    maybe a relationship
    and i will find peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

This time last year I promised myself I would fix everything and be sitting in an arm chair somewhere with a drink toasting my success but it just hasn't happened I'm in the same situation i was last year possibly even worse. 2015 can't be worse because living this way is much more awful than I could have dreamed up.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    This time last year I promised myself I would fix everything and be sitting in an arm chair somewhere with a drink toasting my success but it just hasn't happened I'm in the same situation i was last year possibly even worse. 2015 can't be worse because living this way is much more awful than I could have dreamed up.

You need to accept some things as they are. Your perception of those things may sometimes be distorted. Don't stack things up on yourself. You probably have a lot to be positive about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

cloud, don't be so hard on yourself mate. x

chinacup wrote: »

Great exercise (if ye don't mind me calling it that). Streams of consciousness can be very educational imo.

chinacup wrote: »

free
    bird
    wings
    bridge
    nightmare
    sadness
    bright
    dark
    bland
    boring
    wish
    desire
    happiness
    out of reach
    lazy
    procrastinating
    binge eating
    unhappy
    unloved
    insight = help?
    psychology = vague
    broaden out the thoughts
    need to speed up slowly
    not me
    who is me
    blah flucking blah
    sick of it
    sick of it
    sick of my brain
    sick of life
    sick of people
    sick of my family
    sick of society
    sick
    sick
    sick to my stomach
    my creativity
    originality
    my me
    where am i
    is it still there
    my desperation disgusts me
    need cig
    alchohol
    mind numbing
    to wake the brain
    the brain is sleeping
    dormant
    will i ever get out of this trap they put me in
    i played a huge part
    what the **** is my defect
    i refuse to conform to the established structure of explaining
    its too ****ing limiting
    you need to learn it to explain your way out of it
    you need to become it
    to show that you are not it
    to realise yourself that you are not it
    it was all part of a game you played
    to stay distracted
    and got in too deep
    can i unlearn or overlearn what has already been imprinted in my every ****ing move
    emotion
    thought
    action
    its there its lingering
    i dont ****ing have the words
    jesus
    give me some
    extra astrocytes
    something
    something
    something.
    has it been building
    has the pscyhology corporation blinded truth
    how can i get to my truth
    should i avoid truth
    do i avoid truth in my convinving so called quest to find it
    am i going in circles
    yes i am going in circles
    am i crazy
    am i hazy
    am i daisey
    no im ( my name)
    im (name)
    im (name)
    i have a heart
    a brain
    a body
    i have a life
    i can have a life
    i have to have a life
    i know i can get the life
    if i work
    and find happiness
    all i need is success
    a purpose
    maybe a relationship
    and i will find peace
    Great list/poem/stream!

Hope you don't mind if I select from it:

free
    bird
    wings
    bridge
    bright
    wish
    desire
    happiness
    insight
    my creativity
    originality
    emotion
    thought
    action
    something
    i have a heart
    a brain
    a body
    i have a life
    i will find peace

Go back over the list, strike those words I struck out (or even better, move them to another column).

Revise your spreadsheet; insert columns for your reasons.

Expand on the good stuff; add more reasoning.

Weigh your scales in favour of the light against the dark.

We are all on the road. Sometimes we lay our load down - to have a rest.
    We get up again, and we trod on.
    We get to that place, and we relax for a while.
    Life does not rhyme, but it does scan.

Watch your favourite comedies/cartoons, and realise you can laugh again.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Revise your spreadsheet; insert columns for your reasons.

Expand on the good stuff; add more reasoning.

Weigh your scales in favour of the light against the dark.

Thank you Esel, that's brilliant advice!

free, bird, wings - thinking about the beauty and simplicity of nature is inspiring and there is a lesson in perspective there
    bridge - some bridges were burned but the burning lit the way to a new path ;)
    bright - I am bright, this will guide success
    wish, desire - be focused on a goal, but don't desire perfection, it takes away from the present
    My happiness, insight, creativity, originality, emotion, thought will develop by taking action
    i have a life - Its a wonderful gift, life.
    i will find peace - because it is possible and this time last year I was homeless so although things aren't the way I want them yet, its a hell of a lot closer.

I'm familiar with that thought process. Maybe try thinking about the things you did achieve. Negative thinking will always try to rob you of your progress, but tomorrow positive thinking may help you celebrate it. I know it sounds soppy and cliche but its something to at least try.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Really worried about my eyesight right now. I've put blurred vision and stuff down to anxiety, but now my distance vision is really poor and I can't even seem to slightly adjust it like it could be just blurred vision if that makes any sense? It still feels like all crosseyed though, like it's half on the outside and rest on the inside? This post is probably really confusing sorry..

Not at all, I've had that due to anxiety, my eyes being absolutely in pain all the time, muscles around them spasming, can't focus on stuff, extreme photosensitivity etc.

It has to be tackled physically, as in if you tackle the anxiety physically, and uncoil your body and spine (my spine was in so many nots my hips felt like they were nearly piercing out through the skin, my neck and skull were twisted as well. I couldn't really properly identify the location of touches, and some areas were completely numb.

You have to make a concerted effort (I am using yoga and meditation and sort of body exploration, not accepting current physical state of affairs, move in different ways than you normally would, say I put my right foot down without thinking I'll notice the whole leg is not in a good position, so I'll stand still for a sec and try to break out of whatever my normal pattern of movement is, this is the informal thing I do).

here's a video i've used before for eyes, very short simple etc. don't expect too much relief immediately but I did it a while back and it relaxed my eyes. This is a direct approach to the eyes, but I'm guessing you're like me where your whole body needs some serious love and attention

Thanks Jimmy, really appreciate that. On the flipside however I (and everyone else) have to be careful not to blame almost anything on anxiety :P Quite dangerous, that. I mean I've spent way too much time in front of a computer screen in my short life, and I've not been the healthiest in general, so stuff like the eyes and other things may be anxiety, other things or a combination of both. I'm hoping I will be given enough time by my health to turn things round once and for all - I'll never be intentionally unhealthy again if and when I get through this. I just don't have the strength due to the lack of energy to start cutting junk out of diet, exercising consistently, and generally trying to turn things around. I start a uni course shortly so I'm going to try my best to use that as my startpoint. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Woke up in a wave of sadness and impending sense of doom. Don't know if it's something I dreamt or what but it won't lift.

I feel something horrible is going to happen, my stomach is in knots

handbagmad wrote: »
    Woke up in a wave of sadness and impending sense of doom. Don't know if it's something I dreamt or what but it won't lift.

I've had this kind of anxiety for no reason at all - it can be purely anxiety driven, a physical symptom like a cough or a cold. Think of it like that...there is nothing actually to be afraid of, it is a symptom you can and will overcome with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

handbagmad wrote: »

I had some weird dreams last night involving movies I like.

Feel rather empty today.

I had some weird dreams last night involving movies I like.

Feel rather empty today.

I can never remember my dreams, apparently they hold great significance to working out what is going on in your consious world. I dunno though.

Dunno what way I feel today tbh.

Gonna watch some crap indulgent tv try stop the mind racing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've been sick as a dog for two weeks now, not sure if its time to go the doctors or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I'm curious. Has anyone been cured of depression or know of someone who has?? If so, what cured it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well you don't really 'cure' depression do you. You learn the skills to cope with it, and eventually, hopefully, with those tools, it gets easier and better.

Depression can hit people for a number of reasons at any time of your life. Don't think of it as a disease. It's like a virus. It cures itself. Or you help it to go away. You change your circumstances or take medication to help it go away.

guitarzero wrote: »
    I'm curious. Has anyone been cured of depression or know of someone who has?? If so, what cured it?

Depression can be cured it isn't pervasive and life lasting for everyone. If you have susceptibility and previous episodes of it then yes its more likely to turn into a long term thing or to return but don't think it isn't capable of going away for good. Research shows a number of different things can work. There's a chip that can be implanted in the brain on the more extreme end, then there's therapy, medication, sorting out the basics like healthy food/drink habits and having a decent amount of exercise and sleep. I think you can't understand what your mental health base level is until you're living a healthy lifestyle. That is the basics mentioned above as well as socialising and/or having a purpose of some description. IMO medication is prescribed and a label given too soon to people when other things could be seriously affecting them like for e.g. binge drinking or an unhealthy diet.

• Advertisement

Weekends suck!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement