Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Shot in Ballyfermot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Probably because people don't report crimes to you.

Well smartarse I happen to be involved in hunting and shooting and a licensed firearm holder and being on a few hunting forums myself I would hear of a gun attack involving someone who is a licensed firearms holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I don't know of any crimes that have happened involving someone who has a licence for a gun other than few poachers

it's the Irish reaction to a problem. Ban it or tax it but never solve it

EyeSight wrote: »
    it's the Irish reaction to a problem. Ban it or tax it but never solve it

Or ramble on bout it an do nothing bout it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Well smartarse I happen to be involved in hunting and shooting and a licensed firearm holder and being on a few hunting forums myself I would hear of a gun attack involving someone who is a licensed firearms holder.

And you've heard of none? Despite how informed you think you are, it's unlikely you hear of the majority of issues that arise with legally held firearms.

And you've heard of none? Despite how informed you think you are, it's unlikely you hear of the majority of issues that arise with legally held firearms.

No. Never heard of anyone shooting someone with their own legally held firearm.

• Advertisement

John Carthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

John Carthy?

He didn't shoot anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

I haven't heard much coverage regarding this child's shooting on the radio, RTE /Newstalk. If the child were from a more salubrious area I reckon there would be a real crackdown. Cynical maybe but that's the way i see it!

Blay wrote: »
    He didn't shoot anyone.

He shot at them. There's a few others that can be found with a simple google. Legally held guns have been used in domestics and suicides too. I'm not proposing they be banned or anything, but outright denying they are used in crimes is ignorant at best.

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    I haven't heard much coverage regarding this child's shooting on the radio, RTE /Newstalk. If the child were from a more salubrious area I reckon there would be a real crackdown. Cynical maybe but that's the way i see it!

Crackdown on what?

• Advertisement

He shot at them. There's a few others that can be found with a simple google. Legally held guns have been used in domestics and suicides too. I'm not proposing they be banned or anything, but outright denying they are used in crimes is ignorant at best.

Never been proven that he fired in anyone's direction. He was shot because he was walking towards unarmed Gardai and wouldn't drop the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Other than the few rifle permits issued I thought guns were banned in Ireland? Does anyone know what kind of firearm or if it was even firearm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Crackdown on what?

Thought it was obvious. Gang land shootings.....

Other than the few rifle permits issued I thought guns were banned in Ireland? Does anyone know what kind of firearm or if it was even firearm?

No they're not banned. We don't know what was used yet, some articles said an air rifle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There was that Padraig Nally/ John Ward case a while back. He was found not guilty eventually though.

Just saying it out of interest, I can imagine where this might go though..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    Thought it was obvious. Gang land shootings.....
    how would they do it? as tragic as this shooting is the only thing that could probably prevent such shootings is the guards gaining intelligence that a shooting is going to happen for which the ERU would turn up, if the guards don't get intelligence nothing can be done, thats the reality

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

So now we have chaps with access to guns, who haven't a clue how to shoot and nearly kill some poor innocent kid, and not too long ago John Gilligan was sitting in the toilet and another gunman shot through the door and Gilligan survived. These muppets need training to say the very least, there's a very low level of competence with these fellows, which is scary.

Yes I know I'm rambling

yes, yes you are, and its daily fail/indo rabel rabel, nonsense like "I dot care what the bleeding hearts brigade think" = invalidate point, for what its worth all this "setting an example" rubbish has been proven to fail, you deal with someone because they commit a crime thats it, not to deter others or set an example as its a pointless waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

how would they do it? as tragic as this shooting is the only thing that could probably prevent such shootings is the guards gaining intelligence that a shooting is going to happen for which the ERU would turn up, if the guards don't get intelligence nothing can be done, thats the reality

or just cracking down on the gangs in general. We all know some of the main guys. Everyone does. But it's extremely rare lately to see the guards catching one of the big guys.

In any other country if a kid or a cop gets shot, the next morning there's plenty of raid on the big guys. Why? Because it makes them lose money and ****s with their "business". Then they think twice about what hits they sanction and on someone.
    Sure it might not work. But it's better than doing what we usually do! i.e. Nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

These muppets need training to say the very least, there's a very low level of competence with these fellows, which is scary.
    That's an interesting idea. Maybe Fás or Solas or whatever they're called now could run some courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So now we have chaps with access to guns, who haven't a clue how to shoot and nearly kill some poor innocent kid, and not too long ago John Gilligan was sitting in the toilet and another gunman shot through the door and Gilligan survived. These muppets need training to say the very least, there's a very low level of competence with these fellows, which is scary.

So are you condemning the shooting or saying that the scummers should be better with guns?

It's not scary that they have little experience with firearms, it's scary that people think it's grand that they shoot each other. That's what leads to innocents getting hurt.. idiots saying that they don't care if one cnut tries to kill another on the streets.

They shouldn't have access to guns if they're not up to a certain standard, I have no problems letting them kill each other whatsoever, but if they're incompetent they shouldn't be given the guns in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Yeh because whomever they acquire fire-arms from is really concerned about their shooting training.
    Weird bemoaning their lack of training rather than bemoaning the shooting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Explain that to the gangs, I'm sure they'll see the value in it

If they had been trained no innocent would have been injured

or just cracking down on the gangs in general. We all know some of the main guys. Everyone does. But it's extremely rare lately to see the guards catching one of the big guys.

if no evidence exists nothing can be done, if evidence is got they will be caught
    In any other country if a kid or a cop gets shot, the next morning there's plenty of raid on the big guys. Why? Because it makes them lose money and ****s with their "business"

for a few minutes maybe, then it will be business as usual
    they think twice about what hits they sanction and on someone.

they don't, if they want to take out a hit they will, thats the sad reality, deterrents don't work for such criminality.
    Sure it might not work. But it's better than doing what we usually do! i.e. Nothing

if the guards can't get the evidence together then they can't do anything, its the same in any civilized country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

It's not scary that they have little experience with firearms, it's scary that people think it's grand that they shoot each other. That's what leads to innocents getting hurt.. idiots saying that they don't care if one cnut tries to kill another on the streets.
    What we need is a Hamsterdam offshore, some wee island off the coast where the drug trade is legal. Make sure they have loads of weapons on the island. Could even make a TV show out of it.

oh dear, you really haven't a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭emo72

oh dear, you really haven't a clue

hes fishing, and you took the bait:pac:

• Advertisement

or, if they were decent human beings, a child would not have been shot

Advertisement