Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

kev23f wrote:
    Here's the lorettas page...

That must be very new..

Myself and my wife went down last nite.
    Was quite busy..lots of neighbours around.
    Staff v friendly.. nice buzz about..food was good (not excellent..but early days yet) .. wine fab and prices good.
    On the negative side they are having draft / heating issues so it was quite cold there but I gather issue will be resolved by wed..as a result food was only warm rather than hot..but assume this will be resolved.
    Also was a limited menu but again I'm sure this will expand.
    All in all happy enough..and will be back when hopefully it will be warmer :)
    Great addition to the area.
    Ended up in Doyle's after when there was some great live music on..

New heath food store open beside post office...NOMS.

Is hedigans being levelled for metrolink?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Zipppy wrote: »
    kev23f wrote:

That must be very new..

Staff v friendly.. nice buzz about..food was good (not excellent..but early days yet) .. wine fab and prices good.
    On the negative side they are having draft / heating issues so it was quite cold there but I gather issue will be resolved by wed..as a result food was only warm rather than hot..but assume this will be resolved.
    I always like a good restaurant that has a short menu -- it points to the use of fresh ingredients cooked on the spot. The ones with the long list usually feature variations of 'chicken ding', freezer to microwave stuff.
    From what I could see last week, with the kitchen so on view in this place, they were cooking everything from scratch.
    Less is more!

kev23f wrote:

That must be very new..

I always like a good restaurant that has a short menu -- it points to the use of fresh ingredients cooked on the spot. The ones with the long list usually feature variations of 'chicken ding', freezer to microwave stuff.
    From what I could see last week, with the kitchen so on view in this place, they were cooking everything from scratch.
    Less is more!
    Hadn't heard that, although the wrecking ball has sniffed around it before now.
    http://buckplanning.blogspot.com/2008/03/brian-boru-pub-plan-rejected-as.html?m=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Yes, the initial plans had it down to be knocked as part of the Glasnevin interchange station.

matrim wrote: »
    Yes, the initial plans had it down to be knocked as part of the Glasnevin interchange station.

Yep I only heard this on Sat nite (from a neighbour in Lorettas :) )
    I looked up some oireachtas docs and it seems to be the case...

Sad if true..I did think building was a protected structure??

On another note has anyone seen the PhibsboroLife Blog ?

Also on instagram....

Yep I only heard this on Sat nite (from a neighbour in Lorettas :) )
    I looked up some oireachtas docs and it seems to be the case...

Sad if true..I did think building was a protected structure??

Also on instagram....

And funerals will never be the same.....

eastwest wrote: »
    And funerals will never be the same.....

Addison Lodge still open ? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lorettas don't have a menu anywhere online do they? It's not on their site anyway

• Advertisement

none online yet..
    We eat there Sat nite.
    steak
    chicken
    pork
    trout ( not available bass I stead)
    risotto (I think)

selection of starters and desserts.
    Nice wine menu.

Average prices...

All in all twas pretty good..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

Nice short article here with some info re. Loretta's, the chef, and the food... https://www.allthefood.ie/single-post/2018/11/13/Lorettas-brings-US-style-Comfort-Food-to-Phibsborough

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

The metrolink engineering drawings (Page 71 of link below) suggest Hedigan's is leveled. I'm sure some drinking will still continue on-site once the station opens : ) In the drawings, a big chunk of Dalcassian Downs is to come down also, and New Century will abut a pub with a beer garden.

http://data.tii.ie/metrolink/alignment-options-study/study-1/metrolink-concept-engineering-drawings-book.pdf

We went back to Loretta's last night. Booked it this time --thanks to Zippy for posting contact details. It wasn't completely full but busy, glad we'd booked to be sure. They seem to be doing very well for a new venture, word must be getting around because I haven't seen any advertising anywhere. Probably best to book ahead going forward I'd say.
    Food still great, slightly different from the usual stuff but we really like it anyway. We won't be going back every week, it's a bit upmarket for grazing, but I think once a month is likely. Delighted there's a decent restaurant that avoids us always going into town.

How was the heating? Sorted ?

How was the heating? Sorted ?
    Forgot to take note, so must have been sorted. Place felt comfortable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Great to see that corner site finally occupied. I wonder will there be any movement on the bookies at the other corner and what might go in there.

Also Doyles Corner badly needs pedestrian lights that allow you to cross diagonally instead of having to wait for two sequences.

Muahahaha wrote:
    Also Doyles Corner badly needs pedestrian lights that allow you to cross diagonally instead of having to wait for two sequences.

The volume of traffic prohibits this.. as it does all over the city..the current sequences allow traffic to still pass through the junction.. can you imagine the mayhem traffic wise locally if all traffic was stopped..
    Maybe when we get more luas, a metro etc will things be better..
    Agree bout that old bookies..murray displays too needs a tenant.. things are getting better tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The volume of traffic prohibits this.. as it does all over the city..the current sequences allow traffic to still pass through the junction.. can you imagine the mayhem traffic wise locally if all traffic was stopped..
    Maybe when we get more luas, a metro etc will things be better..
    Agree bout that old bookies..murray displays too needs a tenant.. things are getting better tho..

Im not sure if the volume of traffic prevents having a green man sequence that allows people to cross diagonally. I would imagine the same arguments were made before they implemented the diagonal crossing system on the canals, junction of Dame & Georges St and lots of other areas where it seems to work well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The sooner that monstrosity of a 1960s Soviet style shopping Centre is knocked and redeveloped, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It's not being knocked though. AFAIK it's being clad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of it is going, some is being reclad and I believe Tesco isn't changing at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Loretta’s seem to have updated their website to include the menu:
    https://www.lorettas.ie

JupiterKid wrote:
    The sooner that monstrosity of a 1960s Soviet style shopping Centre is knocked and redeveloped, the better.

I love it....i grew up in Phibsboro.. I think it's a thing of beauty 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

L1011 wrote: »
    Some of it is going, some is being reclad and I believe Tesco isn't changing at all!

Tescos, Eddie's and the tower are all staying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I love it....i grew up in Phibsboro.. I think it's a thing of beauty ��

:eek::eek: Can I get the number of your acid and mushie dealer? He must be a good one!!:D:pac:

I actually like quite a few 60s/70s buildings - like TCD Berkeley Library, American Embassy, the old Central Bank, Grattan House, Irish Life Centre.

But Phibsboro SC has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. If the tower is reclad then that might, just might be ok. It is a completely monstrous building as it is.

087 5565GFDDGG :) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

So, with all these trendy cafés and pubs opening up, is there anywhere left to pick up a Christmas tress in Phibsborough? It doesn't need to be vegan!

Can anyone recommend anywhere near by?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

matrim wrote: »

Do you know when it is being closed? We usually have a family event there each summer and, while I'm all for improvements, it will be sad to not go there in 2019.

Where else around has a nice beer garden like Hedigans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Dunphus wrote: »
    So, with all these trendy cafand pubs opening up, is there anywhere left to pick up a Christmas tress in Phibsborough? It doesn't need to be vegan!

Can anyone recommend anywhere near by?

I saw them being sold in the Tesco Carpark in Stoney batter , was driving past so didn't get any more info than that .

Advertisement