Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anna geary oh yes lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

RTE's coverage of the camogie championship is pathetic.The camogie board would be far better off to sell the rights to TG4 at least they might show some matches.

RTE show one live match per year and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Seamus Callanan

Colm Callanan

Jason Flynn

Obviously Seamus Callanan deserved it.

I can see why Colm Callanan was nominated because of his crucial saves.

While Jason Flynn did pop up with some great points, I didn't think he particularly stood out. David Burke would have been a more worthy nomination.

Gleeson actually keep a clean sheet, thought he would be ahead of C. Callanan actually

Agree on Burke, he was class

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

RTE's coverage of the camogie championship is pathetic.The camogie board would be far better off to sell the rights to TG4 at least they might show some matches.

Love watching games on tg4, really good coverage. Would love more of them, especially camogie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I was watching back the Tipp Galway game and one thing I noticed was the commentary from Marty Morrissey.

Credit where credit is due but he was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I was watching back the Tipp Galway game and one thing I noticed was the commentary from Marty Morrissey.

Yeah, we said that a few pages back. I'm as big an RTE hater as there is, but Marty and Darragh are good at the main commentary bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

I thought Marty was a better radio commentator; his commentaries on the 2013 and 2014 Finals were excellent. But he has really latituded in my expectations as a TV comm after Sunday and I hope he gets to reprise his role for the Final but that would probably cause consternation in RTE so Ger will get it as per. I actually agree with Jayop, Darragh is the best commentator they have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

I agree. Hopefully the Camogie Assoc. see sense and go with TG4 whenever this deal ends. TG4 give the LGFA decent coverage. They used to at least stream both SFs but this year they only streamed one and they missed the crucial winning score in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If the game is a nail biter, there is no one better than Marty to imbue the broadcasts with the sense of excitement & occasion. You have to give him credit for that. Canning never does it. But if you are looking for decent tactical analysis, or why one team are on top of the other, what is and is not working for both teams etc etc, he is piss poor imo. Hurling is played at such a fast pace, there is limited scope for in depth analysis, as the game is going on. But even during breaks in play, he usually fills the space with such bland & inane aul guff, that I spend more time rolling my eyes, than I do appreciating his efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Marty really puts his heart and soul into it, you can tell he's passionate about GAA. Even in a dull game he'll inject a bit of life into it. I love his 'Honda 50' quote anytime a player goes sprinting back down the field, it never grows old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Was Shane Curran on last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

seanhynes wrote: »
    Was Shane Curran on last night?

no though they had Brian Mcguigan on who had the charisma of a bag of spuds.

they really need to sort their s*it out with the football pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I wish they would get rid of always having pundits from the counties that are playing in the games that they are commentating on. You never get unbiased opinions & its really annoying. I suppose RTE in their wisdom think that Tomas O'Se is going to give additional insight on Kerry, McStay on Mayo, Whelan on Dublin and McHugh on Donegal etc etc, seeing as they are talking about their native counties. But they really don't. They clam up, for fear of pissing off their former manager and playing colleagues, or pissing off the county board in case they may want the job for themselves down the road. (Donal Og being the obvious exception obvs.) Do they really think that Henry Sheflin is going to say something about Kilkenny, that Brian Cody would rather was kept quiet? I don't bloody think so !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I like McGuigan, gives a fair assessment. He was an outrageous player too.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I wish they would get rid of pundits from the counties that are playing in the games that they are commentating on. You never get unbiased opinions & its really annoying. I suppose RTE in their wisdom think that Tomas O'Se is going to give additional insight on Kerry, McStay on Mayo, Whelan on Dublin and McHugh on Donegal etc etc, seeing as they are talking about their native counties. But they really don't. They clam up, for fear of pissing off their former manager and playing colleagues, or pissing off the county board in case they may want the job for themselves down the road. (Donal Og being the obvious exception obvs.) Do they really think that Henry Sheflin is going to say something about Kilkenny, that Brian Cody would rather was kept quiet? I don't bloody think so !

was thinking the same last night, it was terrible stuff though its about the people and counties in question more than anything else.

Mcguigan was as biased as it comes, couldnt do anything but put the blame for defeat on anybody the Tyrone lads. no point having Tomas there, but at least he is honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Patww79 wrote: »
    His view on the incident where they tried to decapitate Cooper showed just how laughable having him on was. Purely to deflect some of the anti-Tyrone criticism by having him on.

It was just a mis-timed shoulder, he was committed to it and couldn't pull out when Cooper was going to ground, I don't think there was any malice in it. Yellow was the correct call. It was no worse than the shoulder from O'Sullivan on Bradley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

It was just a mis-timed shoulder, he was committed to it and couldn't pull out when Cooper was going to ground, I don't think there was any malice in it. Yellow was the correct call. It was no worse than the shoulder from O'Sullivan on Bradley.

Ah come on- you don't really believe that, do you????

ha ha, perhaps the worst tackle of the summer and there was no malice in it?

O Sullivan hit him a belt of a shoulder and the player turned into him and the stronger man came out on top, it wasnt even a free.

• Advertisement

McNabb's one was pretty bad in fairness. He dropped the knees to go along with the very late shoulder to the head as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

ha ha, perhaps the worst tackle of the summer and there was no malice in it?

O Sullivan hit him a belt of a shoulder and the player turned into him and the stronger man came out on top, it wasnt even a free.

I was happy enough for it to be a free but could it not have been considered charging by the Tyrone man.

I thought the "tackle" on Gooch was shocking enough.

There's no Off the Ball thread here, but did Anthony Moyles seriously say Kerry have no forwards on the level of Aidan O'Shea & Cillian O'Connor last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's no Off the Ball thread here, but did Anthony Moyles seriously say Kerry have no forwards on the level of Aidan O'Shea & Cillian O'Connor last night?

I didn't hear it. But it wouldn't be that surprising coming from Moyles.

Some of the guff he's spouted this year has been complete crap.

I didn't hear it. But it wouldn't be that surprising coming from Moyles.

Some of the guff he's spouted this year has been complete crap.

He has assured me he didn't on Twitter - someone must have been on the wind up!

He has assured me he didn't on Twitter - someone must have been on the wind up!

Oh yeah?

He's always so bloody uppity on OTB though.

Oh yeah?

He's always so bloody uppity on OTB though.

Reading between the lines he made a mess of saying a few of Kerry's top forwards aren't on red hot form - I'll have to give a listen later.

I don't mind him too much generally.

Reading between the lines he made a mess of saying a few of Kerry's top forwards aren't on red hot form - I'll have to give a listen later.

I don't mind him too much generally.

Which would make more sense. I'll listen after lunch. Otherwise this is "blind-leading-the-blind" so to speak.

Whack the link up here if ya get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Joe Brolly was like a lad that had 20 grand on Tyrone to win. He seemed really annoyed and upset that they didn't. Probably had a pre-canned spiel about Ulster football and the psychological damage that the choking intensity was doing to Kerry etc and was like a savage that he didn't get to deliver it.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    Joe Brolly was like a lad that had 20 grand on Tyrone to win. He seemed really annoyed and upset that they didn't. Probably had a pre-canned spiel about Ulster football and the psychological damage that the choking intensity was doing to Kerry etc and was like a savage that he didn't get to deliver it.

There is literally no chance the "consenting adults" line wasn't thought up during the week to be trotted out regardless of what happened on the field.

Cynical punditry is a bigger issue than cynical football at this stage.

Advertisement