Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Agh sure we were a plague and the death of football for a while, last year was just because we beat the Dubs.

That break that ended up with Murphy pointing from the free would have been a goal against Dublin last year. Impressed with Mayo defensively yesterday. That together with O'Shea giving them a new option makes then serious contenders for me, I'd have no problem backing them in both matches if they get through. Doubt O'Connor will be as quiet again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭JRant

K-9 wrote: »
    Agh sure we were a plague and the death of football for a while, last year was just because we beat the Dubs.

That break that ended up with Murphy pointing from the free would have been a goal against Dublin last year. Impressed with Mayo defensively yesterday. That together with O'Shea giving them a new option makes then serious contenders for me, I'd have no problem backing them in both matches if they get through. Doubt O'Connor will be as quiet again.

The stars aligned last year against the Dubs but it was a fantastic performance.

I thought it was one game too many for this Donegal team. They looked lethargic in that second half. Mayo were very good though.

Should be a fascinating game between ourselves and Mayo. AOS will trouble Rory and we may see a slightly more defensive setup from us. I can see our half forwards having a huge impact though. Dermo is probably the premier player in the country at the moment and if he can turn it on we'll have enough to turn them over.

Can't wait for it.

If Mayo do turn us over I really hope they go on to win it though.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

JRant wrote: »
    The stars aligned last year against the Dubs but it was a fantastic performance.

I thought it was one game too many for this Donegal team. They looked lethargic in that second half. Mayo were very good though.

Should be a fascinating game between ourselves and Mayo. AOS will trouble Rory and we may see a slightly more defensive setup from us. I can see our half forwards having a huge impact though. Dermo is probably the premier player in the country at the moment and if he can turn it on we'll have enough to turn them over.

Can't wait for it.

If Mayo do turn us over I really hope they go on to win it though.

The build up and wait for this will make it a long three weeks!

Can't wait for it though, it's going to a massive occasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jayop wrote: »
    It was a strange one. Hughes initially ran towards Meyler and looked like he was going to clean him out and I'm sure Meyler though that too. At the last minute though Hughes put his arms up and kind of stalled his run and Meyler took a step towards him. That step Meyler took was what made me think it was the correct decision. It wasn't that it was a cynical pull down but rather one where Mayler was putting the arm up/out to protect himself when he though he was going to be clattered but Hughes stopping made it look bad.

It was a strange one alright. You could have gotten away with giving neither of them cards either because like I said it looked like half a black card offence by both of them in a way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Balla, Co Mayo, on Saturday.. The only TV in the parish with Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Great to see.

"Sky Sports, bringing communities in Ireland together since 2014"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

JRant wrote: »
    I think most people are just sick of the continual controversy that follows this particular county around.

As for this anti-Ulster thing that's supposedly going on, I just don't see it.

Donegal rightly received many plaudits for their fantastic performances over the past couple of years. Last years semi-final win against my lot being a prime example.

Most neutrals were delighted for Monaghan winning 2 Ulster titles in 3 years and Fermanagh got great praise for their performance 2 weeks ago.

Tyrone deliberately set themselves up as a cynical, win at any cost team. This has been going on for over a decade. It can hardly be surprising if there is a backlash against them now.

There is an anti Ulster thing and it's always been going. It exists in the GAA and in pretty much every walk of Irish life. Maybe not from you, but try living in the south for a few years with a northern accent and you'd know what I mean.

As for the Tyrone being cynical that's blown out of all proportion. The media led by RTE have it in for us and it's been happening since we beat Kerry in 2003. Now every incident is blown out of all proportion.

It doesn't help that we've gave them some ammunition but it's still blown out of all context.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The build up and wait for this will make it a long three weeks!

Can't wait for it though, it's going to a massive occasion!

It'll be a long time for the Mayo lads to keep expectations in check. They probably go in as favourites purely because we haven't faced anyone of note yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That reminds me of the Hardy Bucks when the lads got a broadband connection and people came from miles around and payed them to watch some videos on their laptop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

I don't know why people are getting worked up by what Darragh O'Se says on sky sports. His ability to analyse a game has been terrible always. Anyone that watched our U21s under him would know, I don't think there is any malice in what he was saying stuff like " he used his experience to win that free". He's just a terrible co commentator / pundit and can't think of anything else to say.

Anyway using your experience to win a free doesnt have to equate to diving. If you know you will win a free by going into contact it doesn't mean it's still not a free. It's just being cute.

• Advertisement

There is an anti Ulster thing and it's always been going. It exists in the GAA and in pretty much every walk of Irish life. Maybe not from you, but try living in the south for a few years with a northern accent and you'd know what I mean.

As for the Tyrone being cynical that's blown out of all proportion. The media led by RTE have it in for us and it's been happening since we beat Kerry in 2003. Now every incident is blown out of all proportion.

It doesn't help that we've gave them some ammunition but it's still blown out of all context.

The thing about the GAA is that it's the most tribal organisation going. Every week, up and down the country you've lads bate'n the bejasus out of each other just because they're from different parishes.

i've not seen this anti-Ulster vibe anywhere i've been. Be that in work, down the club or on a night out.

Tyrone have well earned their reputation. Are they any worse than some other teams right now? Probably not but they've been at this since the early noughties . As they say, if it walks like a duck and talks like a ducks....

Kerry_2008 wrote: »
    I don't know why people are getting worked up by what Darragh O'Se says on sky sports. His ability to analyse a game has been terrible always. Anyone that watched our U21s under him would know, I don't think there is any malice in what he was saying stuff like " he used his experience to win that free". He's just a terrible co commentator / pundit and can't think of anything else to say.

Anyway using your experience to win a free doesnt have to equate to diving. If you know you will win a free by going into contact it doesn't mean it's still not a free. It's just being cute.

That's exactly what I just said in the Tyrone/Monaghan match thread. Tyrone play a running game and it's a tactical decision to run with the ball into contact within the scoring range. At that point it's incumbent on the defending team not to foul. Drawing contact isn't cheating in any way shape or form and every single one of the free's we were awarded was because a Monaghan player poorly tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

That reminds me of the Hardy Bucks when the lads got a broadband connection and people came from miles around and payed them to watch some videos on their laptop :pac:

'some videos'

:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

elefant wrote: »
    'some videos'

:pac:

Yeah of Liam McHale's best moments on Youtube :o:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

That's the difference between the good/strong Armagh team of 6-8 years ago was that they were physical and prided themselves on it. Made all teams face up and be men if you wanted to beat them, they werent going to make things easy.

Tyrone, while being physical have always included diving as part of their make up, and that it has been such a part of their play for a decade that it has to come from management. Love being physical but only for Tyrone its being physical only up to a point. Its why 'Battles of Omagh' happen and will happen again. Its frankly surprising that it hasnt happened more.

Of course, the defence that there is nothing wrong and its only anti-Tyrone whining is a critical part of the defence mechanism. Cowards.

Morgans wrote: »
    That's the difference between the good/strong Armagh team of 6-8 years ago was that they were physical and prided themselves on it. Made all teams face up and be men if you wanted to beat them, they werent going to make things easy.

Tyrone, while being physical have always included diving as part of their make up, and that it has been such a part of their play for a decade that it has to come from management. Love being physical but only for Tyrone its being physical only up to a point. Its why 'Battles of Omagh' happen and will happen again. Its frankly surprising that it hasnt happened more.

Of course, the defence that there is nothing wrong and its only anti-Tyrone whining is a critical part of the defence mechanism. Cowards.

One dive yesterday which we've all criticised. I've asked multiple posters on here to tell me which other incident was a dive but they can't.

Sean Cavanagh threw himself to the ground as McManus was looking to take a free after the sending off. That was off the top of my head. The idea that that Cavanagh would have been felled by the 'challenge' if he was trying to stay on his feet is laughable. Cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

In terms of "cynicism/dirtyness/dark arts/dirty tricks" Tyrone of the Mickey Harte era are by far the worst offenders. They're not the most physically "dirty" because by and large theyre one of the smaller teams, but they make up for it with the sneaky, Knackery behaviour.
    Just a selection of examples
    Gooch bitten 03, Gooch eye gouged 05, McGuigan tripping Greg McCartan 04, Philip Jordan getting Marsden sent off 03, the antics on Saturday, the antics in Ballybofey, slagging a minor about his dead father, McMenamin spitting on Kerry players in a league match, the spitting etc in those junior club matches against the Kerry teams, Cavanaghs years of diving, the rugby tackle on McManus, Brian McGuigan getting blindsided by his own county man in a challenge match sustaining an eye injury so bad the surgeon compared it to people who had been beaten with baseball bats.
    Thats just a sample count btw.

All the other top teams( and I would consider Monaghan to be the next worst offender, hence lack of sympathy for them, particularly the Hughes brothers!) have been guilty of various similar offences over the years but the total of the rest put together still wouldnt equal Tyrones list of misdemeanours.

What actually sickened me most this year was the sanctimonious whinging all overthe airwaves from Saint Sean and St Peter about the bad language theyve had to listen to from other teams and Peter using his newspaper column to have another whinge about Meath 96 the day Tyrone played Meath.

Apologies for repeat post but theres about 4 threads on same subject.

Sean Cavanagh threw himself to the ground as McManus was looking to take a free after the sending off. That was off the top of my head. The idea that that Cavanagh would have been felled by the 'challenge' if he was trying to stay on his feet is laughable. Cowards.

You mean when the ball was being brought forward and McManus ran past Sean hitting him an elbow in the back?

Jesus if that's a dive I'm giving up.

If you think that elbow was enough to fell Cavanagh there is no point in discussing this. McAllusky also pointed out by Colm O'Rourke. If you think there was one dive, attempt to get players booked/sent off by feigning injury, you are part of the Tyrone problem. Its a shame to the good players that they have.

• Advertisement

If you think that elbow was enough to fell Cavanagh there is no point in discussing this. McAllusky also pointed out by Colm O'Rourke. If you think there was one dive, attempt to get players booked/sent off by feigning injury, you are part of the Tyrone problem. Its a shame to the good players that they have.

McCalliskey didn't dive. He got a dig in the head off the ball. He feigned injury but that's not the same thing.

But you're right there's no point talking to you if you think Cavanagh going down from an elbow in the back after being targetted all game was a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

your just as biased as the rest of them. so mc manus' elbow was excusable but the way cavanagh fell wasnt? dont allow urself to get brainwashed by the southern media, esp rte.

McCalliskey didn't dive. He got a dig in the head off the ball. He feigned injury but that's not the same thing.

But you're right there's no point talking to you if you think Cavanagh going down from an elbow in the back after being targetted all game was a dive.

Colm Cavanagh dived in the incident immediately prior to Tiernan McCann being sent off. The point of the dive is the same as feigning injury, to get players booked. McCann feigned injury. He dived. As did Kavanagh, as did McCallisky. Big physical men who want to act tough who do not want to stand up cos thats how you do it 'smart'. Its a shame that good footballers are encouraged to play in such a cowardly manner.

your just as biased as the rest of them. so mc manus' elbow was excusable but the way cavanagh fell wasnt? dont allow urself to get brainwashed by the southern media, esp rte.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Would have more respect for Kavanagh if he stood up and fought someone. But its 'smart' to act physical, and feign injury. Its been a clear part of Tyrone's tactics for over a decade and its a shame that they play the game that way. Id guess most players would love to play the game in a different way. Must look at the way other teams play with jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

Two wrongs don't make a right. Would have more respect for Kavanagh if he stood up and fought someone. But its 'smart' to act physical, and feign injury. Its been a clear part of Tyrone's tactics for over a decade and its a shame that they play the game that way. Id guess most players would love to play the game in a different way. Must look at the way other teams play with jealousy.

whether they were wrong or not is not the issue. the issue is that only one has been portrayed as wrong. i didnt hear too many saying mc manus was wrong.

Its unfortunate that a big physical player like Cavanagh chooses to do that. Its also unfortunate that it has got to the stage for Cavanagh that all GAA fans understand why McManus took the opportunity to give a dig. I don't think it was anything remotely nearly enough of an elbow to fell Cavanagh, had he wanted to stay on his feet. Its just reflex for Cavanagh at this stage to go down. Like McCann. Its exactly what they are looking for. Its 'smart' to act like you are up for a fight but throw yourself to the ground when challenged.

Was it Jason Akermanis who said Peter Canavan punched him in the face and ran away like a big girl in the park? I can remember being disgusted by Akermanis at the time, but its a surprise that there arent more incidents where the nicities are forgotten. I suppose managers are aware of the tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah. It's all the Tyrone lads fault :rolleyes:
    There was only one team at it.

Get your digs in at the Tyrone lads now for all those defeats they gave yis.

Believing that its begrudgery is part of the problem.

Do you not think there is any merit in the Tyrone criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Believing that its begrudgery is part of the problem.

Do you not think there is any merit in the Tyrone criticism?

Of course there is BUT Monaghan were just as bad imo.
    They could have won if they played football.
    I also feel that there's a lot of lads just waiting for the chance to criticise Tyrone and can't hold back.
    I have seen many teams use spoiling tactics over the years. It's not a new phenomenon in the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Was it Jason Akermanis who said Peter Canavan punched him in the face and ran away like a big girl in the park? I can remember being disgusted by Akermanis at the time, but its a surprise that there arent more incidents where the nicities are forgotten. I suppose managers are aware of the tactics.

If that actually happened (Akermanis is a bit of a loon) I don't really blame Canavan for getting a sneaky hit in, Akermanis tortured him from start to finish.

Advertisement