Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4, Episode 9; *HAVE NOT* Read the Books MOD NOTE Post 347

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'll go against popular opinion and say I was underwhelmed too.

Also, why have a 700 foot wall...with tunnels right through? Why not just use ropes and lifts and no openings whatsoever?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

HFS. Do this every week please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Birneybau wrote: »

Also, why have a 700 foot wall...with tunnels right through? Why not just use ropes and lifts and no openings whatsoever?

There's one tunnel to easily send rangers up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

They need to be able to bring an army's worth of men across on horses, they can't winch a load of horses up to the top of the Wall and then back down again, a horse sh1ts itself when a gate closes loudly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

why have a 700 foot wall...with tunnels right through? Why not just use ropes and lifts and no openings whatsoever?

Fair point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well then, stick 10 gates throughout the tunnel.

Look, I'm a fan, it's just something that bothers me.

There was two gates at the entrance. I believe it had bars of four inch thick cold rolled steel. ;)

People hadn't seen a giant in thousands of years before they came south. The gate was inpenetrable without them.

Essien wrote: »
    One thing for sure about that episode is that I've never seen production quality like it anywhere else on TV. It was just outstanding to watch.
    Falling Skies (which I hate) and Continuum (which I love) would probably match it, but not in a Fantasy setting. This was the first episode where I really felt I was in another world, giants and mammoths, 1000 foot walls, owl familiars etc. and it was done spot on.
    My only gripe is the giant battle was off camera, but we can't have everything. And why t.f. didn't those lads holding the ropes tie the other end onto something before lower the poor feckin' bowmen over the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Timmyctc wrote: »
    All the people you've been talking to are either stupid or the ilk of people who read books first and say "Its much more exciting in your imagination" -_-

I wouldn't say that, one of the guys I live with only watches the show every week and gets no background info and probably wouldn't be able to name more than Sam and Jon at the wall if even, didn't even know Ygritte when I said it to him last year. There's a lot of people who just watch for the blood and guts etc. and wouldn't be overly invested in a lot of the storylines. Especially not one with a wimp like Sam and an often wooden, sullen Jon Snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Blay wrote: »
    People hadn't seen a giant in thousands of years before they came south. The gate was inpenetrable without them.

There were people who didn't even believe in their existence until they were stood right in front of them. Hell, the bald guy didn't believe in them even when they were stood right in front of him.

<SNIP> No book discussion please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I liked Grenn more when he was about to slit Jon Snow's throat. He really whipped Lord Snow into shape.

Big shout out to Alliser Thorne though. What a performance. I think the most amazing bit was when Snow showed respect for him. "NO, SIR!"

The episode was very finely done. Alliser and Janos have been in the same boat all season. But this episode divided them to perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

<SNIP> No book discussion please.

Roose Bolton is the true King in the North.

Billy86 wrote: »
    The only thing that could make this better is if the two wildling lads staring up at the carnage turn to each other with their mouths wide open. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Liam O wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that, one of the guys I live with only watches the show every week and gets no background info and probably wouldn't be able to name more than Sam and Jon at the wall if even, didn't even know Ygritte when I said it to him last year. There's a lot of people who just watch for the blood and guts etc. and wouldn't be overly invested in a lot of the storylines. Especially not one with a wimp like Sam and an often wooden, sullen Jon Snow.

Might be watching the wrong show so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TheGlass

Well thats why Jon was arguing for it to be filled in, and Alliser Thorne was saying he was right
    Blay wrote: »

Yeah but the wall is thousands of years old too, built when giants were still known to exist, so they'd surely have to have factored it in

Just in case you all really like Alliser right now, here's a special from him!

Tip: Never say "It's a bit nippy" to a man who was trapped in the wild for 6 months, eating other humans to stay alive, because of the cold.

TheGlass wrote: »
    Yeah but the wall is thousands of years old too, built when giants were still known to exist, so they'd surely have to have factored it in

They had to be able to move an army across it quickly if needed, the NW had thousands of men years ago and crossing the Wall to beat back the Wildlings was a regular thing.

• Advertisement

TheGlass wrote: »

The actual tunnel may have been built at a much later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Worst episode of the season so far.

An attempt at defending the wall so inept I was up for the wildlings after a couple of minutes.

Jon Snow showing no ill effects from having his head smashed against an anvil by a 9ft advisory took the biscuit.

The demise of the woefull 'you knoooo nothin' girl will at least raise the aggregate acting talent of the whole cast..

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Great action scenes. Think there was one continuous 360 pan shot of the whole battle that, if it was actually one continuous shot, was amazing.

PositiveKaleidoscopicGhostshrimp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

The nights watch must have got a lot of last minute joiners to the nights watch as between the wall and those in the courtyard there seemed to be more than 106 or whatever it was supposed to be, there must have been 150 death sceenes alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

An attempt at defending the wall so inept I was up for the wildlings after a couple of minutes.

Jon Snow showing no ill effects from having his head smashed against an anvil by a 9ft advisory took the biscuit.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Wait a second here!!! Internal affairs was setting them up all along!!?

The demise of the woefull 'you knoooo nothin' girl will at least raise the aggregate acting talent of the whole cast..

But they ... successfully defened the wall. I wouldn't call that Inept :/

You seem to have a lot of axes to grind with the show.
    The nights watch must have got a lot of last minute joiners to the nights watch as between the wall and those in the courtyard there seemed to be more than 106 or whatever it was supposed to be, there must have been 150 death sceenes alone.

Yeah that was the only thing detracting from the episode for me. For episodes we hear about the large Wildling forces and the dwindling numbers of crowes at the wall. Then come the attack its all square the entire battle until Ygritte dies then the Crows decide to kill everyone :pac:

Still. Suspension of disbelief and that, they did slay a giant after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

My take away thoughts:
    - Slynt would want to shape up or gtfo
    - The action was decent
    - The scythe scene was cool
    - The giants and their mamooths were cool
    - The love-looking/death scene was touching. Felt like it cut sharp more than deep because of how abruptly it ended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Really loved this episode. Usually I find things at the wall a bit 'meh', but I think this might have been the best episode of the season, for me. Whoever was directing did a really fantastic job with all those fight scenes, brilliantly crafted. High octane stuff from start to finish, felt like my heart was beating at a 100 miles an hour for the whole thing! I had no idea where it was all going to end up. Loved that we finally got a look at the giants and the mammoths. That was well worth whatever was spent on it.

Wonder what happened to the aul Targaryen lad. Do they have him stashed away somewhere in hiding?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Marshall

Advertisement