Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4, Episode 9; *HAVE NOT* Read the Books MOD NOTE Post 347

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That was fantastic. I loved that the whole episode centered on Castle Black and The Wall. I'd say they threw most of the seasons budget at this episode.

One thing that annoys me about Game of Thrones though is the opening credits. They list the actors that will be in the episode so you have some kind of idea on what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Great action scenes. Think there was one continuous 360 pan shot of the whole battle that, if it was actually one continuous shot, was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Really loved this episode. Usually I find things at the wall a bit 'meh', but I think this might have been the best episode of the season, for me. Whoever was directing did a really fantastic job with all those fight scenes, brilliantly crafted. High octane stuff from start to finish, felt like my heart was beating at a 100 miles an hour for the whole thing! I had no idea where it was all going to end up. Loved that we finally got a look at the giants and the mammoths. That was well worth whatever was spent on it.

Wonder what happened to the aul Targaryen lad. Do they have him stashed away somewhere in hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Alliser Thorne, an asshole but hard as fúck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They were popper intimidating, poor lads in the tunnel:(
    Kind of disappointin that they skipped the "point of contact" but I loved how that whole part was done, brilliant example of ow some legends and myths ave been made, e.. Theseus & the Minotaur, The 300 Trojans, etc. We might never hear them or that instance ever again in the series but there have a lot of references similar heroic efforts since season one, was great to see one in the making.

"Drop the scythe"... I almost literally bounced out of the chair! When I saw Neil Marshall was directing (Dog Soldiers, The Descent) I was very excited, and he did not disappoint!

And is Ghost ok? (S?)he has kind of become the "family dog" of the show (apologies to Rory McCann).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Very sad to see Gordon D'Arcy killed off. That one hurt more than the foreign guy last week.

Good ep but I still couldnae give a **** about the fat lad and the inbred? wan. Made Jon Snow more interesting at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Billy86 wrote: »
    And is Ghost ok?

If not they would have shown a death scene or at least a corpse during the post battle scene.
    Wonder what happened to the aul Targaryen lad. Do they have him stashed away somewhere in hiding?

The fighting in the courtyard kept them busy, they never got a chance to ransack the whole castle. He was probably just waiting in his room or the library, but anywhere inside and he'd be fine.

That was great. Loved the giant shooting the arrow after your mans arrow didn't even go a quarter of the way up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Best episode of GOT so far out of all of the series.

Absolutely spectacular from start to finish.

The first and probably last time I will ever award a 10 out of 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Blay wrote: »
    I fcking posted a spoiler here by mistake thinking it was the reader thread.

Deleted it about 5 sec later, sincerely apologise to anyone who saw it, hopefully nobody.

I really don't understand the confusion. There is a thread saying *HAVE NOT* and one saying *HAVE*

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

You know what made that episode: a giant firing an arrow and taking a ranger out in style. That was badass!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Unreal episode. Think tonight cemented Jon Snow as one of my two favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Pip and Grenn :(:(:(:(

The Giants were awesome..

Plot development wise it didn't do much but FACK ME the action.. If S2E09 was like Helms Deep then S04E09 was like the battle at Minas Tirith :pac:

Plus I think it can silence the Jon Snow critics who were saying he sucked at Craster Keep..

That said, his plan seems fairly stupid - 100,000 wildlings and he expects to walk up to Mance Rayder and kill him..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

wprathead wrote: »
    Pip and Grenn :(:(:(:(

The Giants were awesome..

Plot development wise it didn't do much but FACK ME the action.. If S2E09 was like Helms Deep then S04E09 was like the battle at Minas Tirith :pac:

Plus I think it can silence the Jon Snow critics who were saying he sucked at Craster Keep..

That said, his plan seems fairly stupid - 100,000 wildlings and he expects to walk up to Mance Rayder and kill him..

Well he'll probably try and talk himself into the camp into Mance's tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

best episode this season, no flitting between a load of different characters and settings. It actually felt like watching a film, and a pretty feckin' awesome one at that too.

Drop the scythe boys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

lertsnim wrote: »
    One thing that annoys me about Game of Thrones though is the opening credits. They list the actors that will be in the episode so you have some kind of idea on what to expect.

It was the same with Lost they always had the actors name in the opening credits.

This was an excellent episode cant wait for next weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

So in theory, if there was no revolts the old man at the nights watch would be king?

dave3004 wrote: »
    So in theory, if there was no revolts the old man at the nights watch would be king?

Correct me if im wrong but he refused the crown so his brother became king, who was father to The Mad King who was father to Daenarys.. ?? I watched season one again when the week there was no episode and pretty sure that is what he said - it kinda gets confusing though

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭thefa

Correct me if im wrong but he refused the crown so his brother became king, who was father to The Mad King who was father to Daenarys.. ?? I watched season one again when the week there was no episode and pretty sure that is what he said - it kinda gets confusing though

You're right. I really liked that scene. He was talking to Jon as Jon was considering breaking his vows and leaving to join Robb's rebellion.

''Even the little children!'' was a reference to Elia Martell's children that Oberyn was trying to avenge.

Jon Snow: You do not know! No one knows. I may be a bastard, but he is my father and Robb is my brother!
    Maester Aemon: [chuckles] The gods were cruel when they saw fit to test my vows. They waited till I was old. What could I do when the ravens brought news from the South? The ruin of my House, the death of my family? I was helpless, blind, frail. But when I heard they had killed my brother's son, and his poor son, and the children. Even the little children!
    Jon Snow: Who are you?
    Maester Aemon: My father was Maekar, the First of his Name. My brother Aegon reigned after him, when I had refused the throne, and he was followed by his son Aerys, whom they called the Mad King.
    Jon Snow: You're Aemon Targaryen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Yeah he refused the crown so his younger brother Aegon was named king. His grandson was The Mad King Aerys who fathered Rhaegar, Viserys and Daenerys Targaryen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Who is Jon Snow planning on speaking to? I thought the leader was the ginger lad they had captured alive

Shane St. wrote: »
    Who is Jon Snow planning on speaking to? I thought the leader was the ginger lad they had captured alive

tumblr_mhi5wp5Fki1r9h4heo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Shane St. wrote: »
    I thought the leader was the ginger lad they had captured alive

He was the leader of the very small unit they sent climbing over the wall. There is a whole massive army that didn't climb over the wall, and the wildling's leader stayed with that army.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Its so perfect with the Kids little nod too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Raf32 wrote: »
    Think tonight cemented Jon Snow as one of my two favourites.

Same here, which means he'll probably be killed off next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

loved the giants arrow obliterating your man on the wall. and the scythe was just epic..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ghost <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Yeah he refused the crown so his younger brother Aegon was named king. His grandson was The Mad King Aerys who fathered Rhaegar, Viserys and Daenerys Targaryen.

Wait, was Aerys Aegon's son or grandson? I thought Aerys would have been the son of Aegon and the father of Daenerys, which would make Aemon Daenerys' granduncle or something?

Advertisement