Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4, Episode 9; *HAVE NOT* Read the Books MOD NOTE Post 347

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Grimebox wrote: »
    I really don't understand the confusion. There is a thread saying *HAVE NOT* and one saying *HAVE*

Dont get your knickers in a twist. I accidentally opened the HAVE read the books and spoiled the **** out of what happens next. At least ge admits his mistake and fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Grimebox wrote: »
    I really don't understand the confusion. There is a thread saying *HAVE NOT* and one saying *HAVE*

I only noticed your post because the poster above me quoted it.

The thread titles both use the same template with a one word difference. People have cross posted several times and non readers have clicked into the reader thread..it's not exactly a foolproof system...if you look quickly at the list you can easily miss it.

I also missed this one..jesus I dropped the ball on this thread;
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Also. Not a dig or anything but I don't get why some book people slyly or openly come into the *NOT* thread when they have their own perfectly tailored thread.

I won't speak for all the readers but I like coming on here because generally there is more discussion about the actual episode itself rather than how it was the same/different from the book canon which the reader thread usually descends into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

MadYaker wrote: »
    Ygrittes death was probably the saddest of this season. Great episode though, pity we have to wait until next week for an update on Tyrion.

I was full sure she was going to make one last lunge at jon snoah and use the arrow pointing from her chest to kill him.

Have to say I was slightly disappointed with this episode. Probably because
    1. We were spoiled with huge plot revelations in every episode 9 so far. This didnt really have any
    2. It did not cover any of last weeks cliffhanger.

It is good to have an episode focussed in one area though. I wonder if an edit has ever been done where all of one characters scenes (and relative sub plots involving him) have been merged together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

That was EPIC! Hats of to everyone involved in putting Lord of the Rings: The Game of Thrones up on my TV screen. As action goes, that was hands down one of the best 50 minutes of TV I've ever watched. As an episode of Game of Thrones goes, that's at least in the top 3 for me.

Most has been said already of the scythe, the long pan action shot, the frickin' giants riding frickin' mammoths, the battle, the heroics, the guy getting impaled with the giant's arrow.

For me though, all of that was made greater by the little moments. Stuff like the wildling archer's arrow falling well short and then giant steps down beside him and launches a huge arrow through one of the platforms at the top. I loved how the giants weren't just CGI thugs. They were 'people' too. The rage shown by the one that got in after his friend was taken down. It'd put the fear of God in you.

Most of all (and I can't believe some people are slating it as a weak point) was Sam and Gilly.... mostly Sam, but Gilly is important. For me, this episode was as much about Sam as anything else. His pep talk to Pip and his chat with the Maester were highlights of the episode for me. For that to work, he had to know Gilly was still alive and she had to be there. I loved his bit about fear, he was nothing so he was not afraid. With Gilly, he's not nothing anymore. It kinda echoes what Jon said about love making you more that just who you are. The night starts with Sam in envy of Jon having found love but ends with Sam finding the courage to fight and 'save' Gilly with Jon losing Ygrette, becoming 'nothing', heading out to almost certain death. It was so well done, wonderful drama.

I could on and on about how many great moments were in this episode but I've work to do. I think I may just watch this again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Blay wrote: »

The thread titles both use the same template with a one word difference. People have cross posted several times and non readers have clicked into the reader thread..it's not exactly a foolproof system...if you look quickly at the list you can easily miss it.

I won't speak for all the readers but I like coming on here because generally there is more discussion about the actual episode itself rather than how it was the same/different from the book canon which the reader thread usually descends into.

I fully agree.. Plus I'm genuinely jealous of those who don't know where the story is headed, I miss that feeling of excitement and tension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I remember when I first saw the tree army attack the fortress at Isengard in the LOTR (I can't remember which of the three it was) thinking I'll never see cooler CGI than that.

That was until those giants rocked up to Wall on the backs of mammoths :eek: And I was literally speechless when the scythe was released. Truly amazing episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Rasheed wrote: »
    Can't believe we still don't know what's happening with Tyrion!

Who was the lad that killed Ygritte? Was he in it before?

As soneone said, I'll need to rewatch the episode, I'm sure I missed loads.

Ygritte killed his father.

InfatuatedWhoppingJuliabutterfly.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

How did John Snow even survive let alone have the strength to kill that guy after getting his smashed against a massive steel anvil by a giant beast?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mark.Smith90

I live for this show. Cannot wait to see what they have in store for the final episode as so many of the stories will likely be reaching an epic climax!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Ygritte killed his father.
    Sure it wasn't his evil twin?
    SaltyMasculineIcelandicsheepdog.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

How did John Snow even survive let alone have the strength to kill that guy after getting his smashed against a massive steel anvil by a giant beast?

Loved the episode. That was the only thing that bugged me. There he is, pretty as ever, the following morning. Must have eaten a bucket of Arnica after the battle.

Anyway, the battle just wouldn't have worked if the story bounced between several subplots as it usually does. It would have lost all momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

After Sam kissed Gilly and there was a pause I was waiting for him to say "Ah **** it I will stay here after all"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Great episode. The only thing that disappointed me was the fire. "The greatest fire the north has ever seen" was mentioned a few times, and I always assumed that not only was it a signal, it was something more ominous. Like a huge wickerman or even castle black being nuked in unusual circumstances. It just seemed like wanton deforestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just regarding Jon's decision to go North, does Mance know he's not with them anymore? I don't see how he would as he only went back to the wall after himself and wildlings went over it. Mance might still think he's on their side, or is that a bit unrealistic considering the wildlings lost the battle inside Castleblack?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

Sam reminded me of the men in Titanic who tried to clamber onto the lifeboats, while ignoring the women / children trying to escape also.

Why on earth was it vital that Sam go all the way up to the top of the wall and back again, just to deliver a message, while he simultaneously tells a small child to stay behind and please to kill a few people / defend humanity while he's at it. How very brave of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

Can someone answer a question for me?
    After the lads held the gate against the giant, Jon says to burn there bodies. I am assuming they are going to burn the rest also, but why is this only done on the wall or by the wildings. Do people south of the wall not come back or how does it work?
    If it's answered further along that's fine, I dont want it spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭bren2001

coolabula wrote: »
    Can someone answer a question for me?
    After the lads held the gate against the giant, Jon says to burn there bodies. I am assuming they are going to burn the rest also, but why is this only done on the wall or by the wildings. Do people south of the wall not come back or how does it work?
    If it's answered further along that's fine, I dont want it spoiled.

Wights are raised from the dead by White Walkers. These are the only people who have the ability to do it. Since they are not south of the wall, they cannot do it to people in KL for example.

All explained here, spoiler free of course.
    http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Wights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

Wait, was Aerys Aegon's son or grandson? I thought Aerys would have been the son of Aegon and the father of Daenerys, which would make Aemon Daenerys' granduncle or something?

The couple on thronecast from Westoros.org say in the books the mad king was Aemon's grand-nephew but in the show he is his nephew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Absolutely great episode, great action, giants and the scythe! Thanks to Bacchus for the excellent post demonstrating the directly contrasting development of Jon and Sam and their laydeez.

Just on the spoilerage issue, I could handle no more so I'm currently at the end of Book 2 (A Clash Of Kings, series 2 in the show) but surely the way to settle it is to make A Song Of Ice & Fire subforum in the Sci-fi & Fantasy forum and leave this Game Of Thrones forum for the TV show purely. Surely the book series would fit in better over there anyway as even by the end of book 2 I'm noticing plenty of differences to the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Grand. I'll just avoid this forum entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

As a reader I always read the non-readers forum for the 'clean' view on the show, as the book readers is always in the context of he bigger picture and what-its.
    I will hold my hand up and say sometimes it is great crack seeing how wrong the posts are sometimes.
    I cant remember if i have posted in one of these threads or not, but if I have aI am careful not to spoiler, i live with a non-reader so I have to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

They could have swapped episodes 8 & 9 and we would have that wtf moment we had in the 3 previous episode 9's with Oberyn.

My only complaint in an other wise spectacular production once again.

Thronecast was actually quite good as they had the stunt co-ordinator on explaining the 360 degree camera shots of the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Gotta say I loved that episode, kinda reminded me of the Lord of the rings, the acting from some of the minor characters was superb as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Really enjoyed the episode, but I was a little disappointed that we didn't see the fight in the tunnel between the giant and Grenn and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

golfball37 wrote: »
    They could have swapped episodes 8 & 9 and we would have that wtf moment we had in the 3 previous episode 9's with Oberyn.

My only complaint in an other wise spectacular production once again.

Thronecast was actually quite good as they had the stunt co-ordinator on explaining the 360 degree camera shots of the battle.

I see what you mean but I think this was the perfect "episode 9" episode, certainly in line with season 2 which also featured a huge battle. Yes, Oberyn's death would also have fit the bill too but episode 8 was the climax of a build up since Joffrey's death. Going ep7 - ep9 - ep8 would have broken the momentum of the Kings Landing stuff IMO. With what we got, that momentum was kept and we were left with a huge jaw dropping moment and a wait until episode 10 to see the impact of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

This is a fantasy show with direwolves, mysterious black magic beings that murder people, giants, wooly mammoths, people being conjured back from death, and you're asking for realism in regard to the effects of injuries!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Great episode. The only thing that disappointed me was the fire. "The greatest fire the north has ever seen" was mentioned a few times, and I always assumed that not only was it a signal, it was something more ominous. Like a huge wickerman or even castle black being nuked in unusual circumstances. It just seemed like wanton deforestation.
    Which seemed even more odd as that was the wildling army's cover, fuel and siege engine material just destroyed in a single night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Lemlin wrote: »
    This is a fantasy show with direwolves, mysterious black magic beings that murder people, giants, wooly mammoths, people being conjured back from death, and you're asking for realism in regard to the effects of injuries!?
    As I've said before, this is a very low fantasy setting. Almost everything at King's landing could be straight out of a history book. That's why this particular episode had so much going for me, it was proper magic and cryptozoology stuff.
    Normally in Westeros 8 foot guy smashes your face off an anvil and you're finished. It was almost comical even having an anvil sitting there to whack Jon off wasn't it? Like Tom and Jerry would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    As I've said before, this is a very low fantasy setting. Almost everything at King's landing could be straight out of a history book. That's why this particular episode had so much going for me, it was proper magic and cryptozoology stuff.
    Normally in Westeros 8 foot guy smashes your face off an anvil and you're finished. It was almost comical even having an anvil sitting there to whack Jon off wasn't it? Like Tom and Jerry would have.

It was near the blacksmith's forge.

Tom and Jerry:pac: The barrels probably had Acme on them:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Really enjoyed the episode, but I was a little disappointed that we didn't see the fight in the tunnel between the giant and Grenn and co.

LOL I can just imagine the directors getting the SFX cost estimate for that and going.....err maybe not ;)

Advertisement