Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

Thank you Poliana!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 b3rnade11e

This is what I'm predicting..

Short Q's:
    1. Food
    2. Nitrogen Cycle
    3. Cell Division
    4. Human Embryo Development
    5. Genetic Engineering
    6. Digestion

Experiments:
    7. Heart Dissection
    8. IAA
    9. DNA extraction/TS of Dicot stem

Long Questions:
    10. Genetics
    11. Ecology
    12. Circulatory System + Breathing System
    13. Seed Dispersal + Variation/Evolution + The Eye
    14. Respiration + Photosynthesis

.. What do ye think??

That's basically the mock we had in March.Could be accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Say they ask 'what is the function of the sclera?' and you say 'to give the eyeball shape and to protect the eye' and both of them are right, but only one is in the marking scheme, would canceling apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Say they ask 'what is the function of the sclera?' and you say 'to give the eyeball shape and to protect the eye' and both of them are right, but only one is in the marking scheme, would canceling apply?

No not if both or right but if one is wrong and one is right it may apply!

allyb17 wrote: »

even if only one of the two you named was in the marking scheme?

• Advertisement

even if only one of the two you named was in the marking scheme?

No If the other ones right they can't penalise you, only if it's wrong they may cancel it . :)

No If the other ones right they can't penalise you, only if it's wrong they may cancel it . :)

okay thank you :)
    all set for bio?

okay thank you :)
    all set for bio?

Not quite kind of freaking out! I have the experiments and unit 2 fine and most of unit 3 just about to launch into unit 1 for exam! What about you? Best of luck :)

Not quite kind of freaking out! I have the experiments and unit 2 fine and most of unit 3 just about to launch into unit 1 for exam! What about you? Best of luck :)

I hope I'm ready. I kind of just flicked through ecology... I plan on avoiding that long question but everything else should *prays* be nice :rolleyes:
    You'll be fine. You don't need to have gone through the whole course the day before to remember everything.
    You'll remember more than you think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Guys... fairly sure Heart Dissection is coming up. Now close the browser and go learn it.. thank me later... or not, either way go and learn shizzle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

Hi does anyone know if you can change from HL biology to ordinary now or is it to late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    Guys... fairly sure Heart Dissection is coming up. Now close the browser and go learn it.. thank me later... or not, either way go and learn shizzle.

I'd love if someone could verify whether this was the case after or not. Better still, who did you find out (if this is true)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JoeyBohs

robman60 wrote: »
    I'd love if someone could verify whether this was the case after or not. Better still, who did you find out (if this is true)?

It was on the OL paper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

A small part of the dissection came up in the experiments. More or less a half Q in experiments.
    No IAA though to my surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

In section C I did all but question 10, including all parts of 14 and 15. Feeling happy enough with how that went, left the exam at ten to 4. Always finished crazy early in biology.

Pretty happy overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BunchOfDna

AM I the only one who found that paper soo hard?? (higher)...no photosynthesis and no respiration... what was that? :// downer

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

What was the last Q in Q10 about? I couldn't for the life of me think of any logical answer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

That paper was hell incarnate. No reproduction, no photosynthesis, no long respiration, a question on fooking horses and more plant biology than you could shake a stick at

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JC2011girl

That was horrible. Never seen short questions that hard on a paper before :(

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Badwulf wrote: »
    That paper was hell incarnate. No reproduction, no photosynthesis, no long respiration, a question on fooking horses and more plant biology than you could shake a stick at

lol, I was absolutely gutted. The stuff I focused on didn't come up, or was simply worth very low marks. I did horrible, I was hoping for at least a C3 in biology, now I think I'm going to get a D3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

What was the last Q in Q10 about? I couldn't for the life of me think of any logical answer!!

Me neither! I just wrote humans cos yolo :pac:

I guess I'm the only person who found that paper lovely :o

You really had to know most of the course to do well in that to be honest.
    A lot of general/waffly answers in there and some really odd questions.

It was a tough paper but hopefully the marking scheme will be handy enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

I thought the paper was a beaut :D , not surprised on lack of focus on resp/photosynthesis tbh, it was bound to happen and and after last year's lack of human systems it was kind of due up.

Was talking to my bio teacher after the paper and apparently that genetics question on XY being the opposite sex is in the edco book but not on the syllabus. So they might either give marks for any attempt or discount it (although probably only worth 3 marks so won't have and impact really)

Was talking to my bio teacher after the paper and apparently that genetics question on XY being the opposite sex is in the edco book but not on the syllabus. So they might either give marks for any attempt or discount it (although probably only worth 3 marks so won't have and impact really)

I thought about that for ages! I had no idea but thank god it wasn't on the course they have no choice but to discount it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Nothing I studied came up but I thought it was still a nice paper overall.

Why are there more people suffering from Alzheimer's now than ever before? :confused: I got cheeky and wrote 'There are more people alive now than ever before' :pac:

I thought the paper was a beaut :D , not surprised on lack of focus on resp/photosynthesis tbh, it was bound to happen and and after last year's lack of human systems it was kind of due up.

Does that mean that the cattles sex was female? :pac:

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Nothing I studied came up but I thought it was still a nice paper overall.

Why are there more people suffering from Alzheimer's now than ever before? :confused: I got cheeky and wrote 'There are more people alive now than ever before' :pac:

I genuinely believe the correct answer is that the global population is at it's highest XD

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

aleatorio wrote: »
    Does that mean that the cattles sex was female? :pac:
    No, cow was male, but the v last ans: name an organism where xy is female answer was butterfly or moth :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Think that's goodbye to occupational therapy for me... Worst exam ever :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Those experiments <3

I thought it was handy enough. Dont think I got my A1 but possibly a B1 :)

Advertisement