Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 Maths Paper One - Fri. June 6th 2014 - all levels***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Functions question is 50 marks and I'm fairly sure (99%) that the functions question is marked using the old way not the project maths way cause we're not doing project maths functions. Also what was up with the y being equal to 3.3333333•

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Beca19 wrote: »
    No? Project maths HL p1? :P

Maybe I didn't read it right! The last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Functions question is 59 marks and I'm fairly sure (99%) that the functions question is marked using the old way not the project maths way cause we're not doing project maths functions. Also what was up with the y being equal to 3.3333333•
    Yeah I heard somewhere too that the new Project Maths style of functions isn't being rolled out until next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Emmie123

I have to do excellently on paper 2 if I want an A. If I do the same as I did today on paper two then I should be looking at a B hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fwiz

yvngceebs wrote: »
    The question about Ciara's pocket money and Miriam's laps were tricky, I think. Thought it was a fair paper, though :)

I found the last question hard and the one that was like "How can you find 3 to the power of 9 using 3 to the power of 8 = so-and-so?". Once you work out Miriam's laps it's quite a fun question to do, I liked drawing my line :D

• Advertisement

Yeah I heard somewhere too that the new Project Maths style of functions isn't being rolled out until next year...

Ya that's why we did functions from the little booklet that came with our book. In project maths functions I think they have to do exponential functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Xgracie wrote: »
    Maybe I didn't read it right! The last one?

No look at the page before our graphs were different!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

JWM12 wrote: »
    There's different phases? Ta me confused

Yeah we're a pilot school so we're a stage ahead of everyone else I think?:) that's why the exponential functions were included in our paper not the phase 2

Ya that's why we did functions from the little booklet that came with our book. In project maths functions I think they have to do exponential functions.
    :O a booklet?!
    What maths book did ye use?!
    Btw how do you know the marks for the functions question? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DoktorFrog

What a lovely paper!! 50 Marks for that Question 14, which is great as it was easy. I would watch out for Paper 2 though. Personally, I found Paper 2's to be harder in English and Irish so I am going to take extra care to study for it!

I really liked that question with the labelling the graphs with the container, reallyyy easy!

Good luck guys c:

Also, note this for P2. If its an easy paper and loads of people get high grades, bare minimum A's could get dropped. - apparently SEC have exam quota bands for grades :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Jcxx

Was it just me or did anyone else think ordinary level was really hard compared to like sample papers ??

:O a booklet?!
    What maths book did ye use?!
    Btw how do you know the marks for the functions question? :)

Active maths 2 and its defo 50 cause in the pre I was the only one who got full marks in it cause no one else had done functions and our teacher said it would be 50 in the JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 00cm

M was the slope it's the same as any equation of the line for co ordinate geometry of the line

Yeah I completely messed that up, my slope was all wrong in more places than one. That whole question.. I made a whole mess out of it, might make up it for Paper 2 though

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Was Elena owed any tax credits at all?
    From what I could make of it, she didn't pay enough tax last year and that's what I put down, but that's surely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Was Elena owed any tax credits at all?
    From what I could make of it, she didn't pay enough tax last year and that's what I put down, but that's surely wrong.

I got her credits to be 3300.

00cm wrote: »
    Yeah I completely messed that up, my slope was all wrong in more places than one. That whole question.. I made a whole mess out of it, might make up it for Paper 2 though

Hopefully you can make up for it in paper 2 and does anyone know if the curve applies in maths cause most people I know found the paper very hard so hopefully if it does we might do better.

Liordi wrote: »
    I got her credits to be 3300.

Same it was 3300

Hopefully you can make up for it in paper 2 and does anyone know if the curve applies in maths cause most people I know found the paper very hard so hopefully if it does we might do better.

Yeah, it applies in every subject, think I can say goodbye to my A, though..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

Oh my god I just realized I forgot to write my calculator make ! :'( will I lose marks?!!!!! I was so happy with the paper but now I'm so worried about this

Active maths 2 and its defo 50 cause in the pre I was the only one who got full marks in it cause no one else had done functions and our teacher said it would be 50 in the JC.
    Whew...we have Tests and Tests and I was beginning to panic about not having a booklet! Oh okay- I actually love functions so hopefully that will bring up my marks :D I am quite happy with the paper overall though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 beccatw

I think I'm gonna have to rely on attempt marks for this paper, atleast I prefer p2 nyway :/ :')

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Emmie123

Did everybody really have that many issues with the graph at the end? I found that to be one of the easiest things on that paper :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fuhiero

yomtea98 wrote: »
    What did ye get for n2-n1+41 when n=41?
    i said that for the formula to work you had to square the number, take away the number being squared and add 41, so b/c 41 was the number being squared it didnt work b/c when you had to take the number being squared (41) away from it and you just added it(41) back on so you were just left w/ 'n' or 41 squared

Whew...we have Tests and Tests and I was beginning to panic about not having a booklet! Oh okay- I actually love functions so hopefully that will bring up my marks :D I am quite happy with the paper overall though!

Haha well most people had lost it so the teacher just made up a functions chapter for us from a few books. How did you find text and tests we used it in first year and I thought I wasn't great but then we moved to active maths so it was all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Emmie123 wrote: »
    Did everybody really have that many issues with the graph at the end? I found that to be one of the easiest things on that paper :/
    Could you tell me what the ranges were in the last two parts?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chloee98

Oh my god I just realized I forgot to write my calculator make ! :'( will I lose marks?!!!!! I was so happy with the paper but now I'm so worried about this

I forgot too!

Emmie123 wrote: »

I thought it was grand but I did have one point that wasn't on my u shaped curve.

Gonna post my answers here
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2014/JC003ALP100EV.pdf
    Someone tell me if I'm right or wrong on any..

7 (iii) 28%, idk why but based on the question I think it's 28% not 19%?
    8 (iii) 7.4s
    10 (a) -3 and 3 (really didn't get this question the way it was phrased)
    (b) Equations x^2 - x - 6 and x^2 + x -6?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

Fifii wrote: »
    Could you tell me what the ranges were in the last two parts?:)

Yeah please^ that would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

For f(x) being less than 0: -1.4 < x < 2 (the -1.4 depended on the accuracy of your graph)

For g(x) being more than or equal to 0: x ≥ 1 (or maybe it was 2, I forget)

I think

Advertisement