Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 Maths Paper One - Fri. June 6th 2014 - all levels***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

Chloee98 wrote: »
    I forgot too!

Do you think we will lose marks?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Liordi wrote: »
    Gonna post my answers here
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2014/JC003ALP100EV.pdf
    Someone tell me if I'm right or wrong on any..

7 (iii) 28%, idk why but based on the question I think it's 28% not 19%?
    8 (iii) 7.4s
    10 (a) -3 and 3 (really didn't get this question the way it was phrased)
    (b) Equations x^2 - x - 6 and x^2 + x -6?

7(iii) was definitely 19% don't know where your getting 28 from.
    10 (a) was f(x) for the first one and g(x) for the second one
    (B) those equations look grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Haha well most people had lost it so the teacher just made up a functions chapter for us from a few books. How did you find text and tests we used it in first year and I thought I wasn't great but then we moved to active maths so it was all good.
    I hated it in first year (mostly because of the stupid problem solving section at the end of each chapter) but then I got to like it in second year. Then we got exam papers and the book was absolutely no help to me when doing them so we're not exactly on the best of terms at the moment :rolleyes:...I don't think I have even opened it since the Easter holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

10 (a) was f(x) for the first one and g(x) for the second one
    (B) those equations look grand.

Was the first equation not +x and the second not -x?

Was the first equation not +x and the second not -x?

I don't know I think it might have been I haven't looked at the paper yet I'm just talking from memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

I don't know I think it might have been I haven't looked at the paper yet I'm just talking from memory.

Hope so, I put -2 and 3 for the first roots and -3 and 2 for the second roots also.

I hated it in first year (mostly because of the stupid problem solving section at the end of each chapter) but then I got to like it in second year. Then we got exam papers and the book was absolutely no help to me when doing them so we're not exactly on the best of terms at the moment :rolleyes:...I don't think I have even opened it since the Easter holidays!

Ya I didn't hate it I just thought it different cover the course properly and wasn't exam focused at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

1906 (USC) + 6560 (Standard Tax)+ 1705.6 (Higher Tax) = 10171.60

10171.6/36960 x 100 = 27.52% rounded up to 28%.
    Chances are I did it wrong but I didn't think you'd have to include tax credits otherwise you wouldn't have need to solve (ii) to figure out (iii) which I would consider to be unusual for Project Maths, probably just the way they phrased the question..oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

Could someone please tell me how to do question 10, where you had to find the roots and then get the equation ?please

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

Same it was 3300
    For f(x) being less than 0: -1.4 < x < 2 (the -1.4 depended on the accuracy of y-2our graph)

For g(x) being more than or equal to 0: x ≥ 1 (or maybe it was 2, I forget)

I think

i got that too but I got -2 instead of -1.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Do you think we will lose marks?!

My grind teacher said that the examiner never looks at it and anyway there isn't any marks going for writing it down so I think you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

Kelly090 wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me how to do question 10, where you had to find the roots and then get the equation ?please

roots can be read off where graph touches x axis there would have been two values

[q muote="MissCupcake;90720752"]roots can be read off where graph touches x axis there would have been two values[/quote]

Yeah I got the roots but not the equation, do I know how to do that?

qp0aER8.png

"Roots" of the equation is where the graph cuts the x axis, so for the h(x) the roots are -2 and 3 and for the k(x) the roots are -3 and 2.
    To figure the equation, you have to get them back as "factors." and split the brackets.
    For the h(x)
    x = -2
    x = 3
    => The factors are (x+2)(x-3) split the brackets to figure out the equation.
    x(x-3)+2(x-3)
    x^2 - 3x + 2x - 6
    x^2 - x - 6

For the k(x)
    x = -3
    x = 2
    => The factors are (x+3)(x-2) split the brackets to figure out the equation.
    x(x-2)+3(x-2)
    x^2 - 2x + 3x - 6
    x^2 + x - 6

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

The roots are where it cuts the x axis! So for h(x) it's (-2,0) (3,0)
    And to get the equation you work your way back from that, the xs are -2 and 3 so when you put them back in the brackets they're (x+2) (x-3) and multiply it out so xsquared -x - 6 and same method for the next q.. well that's what I did hope it's right

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

We had this problem too, book was piss easy in comparison to exam papers, and our teachers a geography teacher who does a bitta maths on the side and wasn't much help to us either, seeing as we had to correct HIS mistakes half the time. Worst thing is hes only like 25 and has 40 years of teaching children badly ahead of him...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

did anyone else find that paper too easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ferrotype

Chloee98 wrote: »
    I said that it didn't work cos it was just 41 squared cos the +41 and -41 cancelled each other out..didn't really understand it tbh
    I said that also but I also put in that the equation is no longer quadratic when the 41's cancel
    but I crossed it out (lightly) so the examiner could still see it and im pretty sure you still get marks then.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Emmie123

hf98kk wrote: »

Some parts of it, yes! Then other parts not so much.
    The currency graph question was one of the questions I messed up a bit for... hoping I'll get half the marks for it though! I need to do excellently on paper 2 in order to get a high grade

Ferrotype wrote: »
    I said that also but I also put in that the equation is no longer quadratic when the 41's cancel
    but I crossed it out (lightly) so the examiner could still see it and im pretty sure you still get marks then.

I subbed in 41 for n where I saw it and then wrote underneath that since the -41 and +41 would cancel, the answer would be 41^2 and therefore won't work..
    I wish I'd been one of the smart people who wrote because 41 isn't less than 41.. XD

• Advertisement

Emmie123 wrote: »
    Some parts of it, yes! Then other parts not so much.
    The currency graph question was one of the questions I messed up a bit for... hoping I'll get half the marks for it though! I need to do excellently on paper 2 in order to get a high grade

Same for me..that'll be incredibly difficult for me though seeing as I got 96% on paper 1 in the mocks and 56% on paper 2..

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dariarule

hf98kk wrote: »
    haha yeah so they will probably make the 2nd paper hard

Liordi wrote: »
    Same for me..that'll be incredibly difficult for me though seeing as I got 96% on paper 1 in the mocks and 56% on paper 2..

I didn't do great on either paper in the mocks.. Made silly mistakes. I got 58% overall.. could have been worse but it still wasn't great. However I have a good feeling about the real thing!

Does it make a difference if you used graph paper or not? I drew my graphs on the answer booklet without knowing the supervisor had graph paper

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Does it make a difference if you used graph paper or not? I drew my graphs on the answer booklet without knowing the supervisor had graph paper
    So did I but there was a ton of space in the answer booklet anyway so I just assumed we were meant to do it in the answer booklet :)

I did mine on the booklet.. I assume so long as it's an accurate graph it doesn't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

I did terrible in that...

To all who want to see the exam its now up on examinations.ie

ECM1234 wrote: »
    I did terrible in that...

Me too :'(

• Advertisement

Can anyone please remember the range of values for the last parts in question fourteen (functions) please? :)

Advertisement