Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 Maths Paper One - Fri. June 6th 2014 - all levels***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

VG31 wrote: »
    Easy enough paper, much easier than the mocks. Did anyone know what you had to do for Q11?

What one was that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

For question 9 I think I got a different equation for jack I got 10+ 7.6666666666666 = y
    It still worked thought when I put in what x was
    Do ya think they will accept different equations as long as they work?
    For Susan it was 0 + 6x = y
    This also worked but I think these equations are different from everyone else's
    Where x is the difference between sterling and euro - 10

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

yaEHya wrote: »
    How did you get 10? I think I got 4.5

Same! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Kelly090 wrote: »
    For the equations in the sterling question did anyone else write
    10+23/20x for the boy and
    24/20x for the girl?
    or did I completely mess it up?

Pretty sure that's right based on what others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

Kelly090 wrote: »
    For the equations in the sterling question did anyone else write
    10+23/20x for the boy and
    24/20x for the girl?
    or did I completely mess it up?

I got 1.55n + 10 for the boy and 1.2n (I think) for the girl. n being the amount of sterling. It all worked out so I'm pretty sure that's right. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Xgracie wrote: »
    What question are you on about sorry hahaha are you ordinary level? I don't remember anything about bacteria

No? Project maths HL p1? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DanielChester

What did people right for Eulers formula explanation? I said that since it won't work cause 41 is not less than 41, hence it cannot work.

What one was that? :)

It started with x is a Real number.
    What did people right for Eulers formula explanation? I said that since it won't work cause 41 is not less than 41, hence it cannot work.

That's what I said as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

Did anyone else get a vertical graph and a U shaped graph for the last question? I was losing the head with thatuestion tbh hahah

ya but they had to be on the same graph i think

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

I worked it out by continuing a table and I'm pretty sure I got just under 4.5

Oh good same! I was worried about that one!

• Advertisement

Did anyone else get a vertical graph and a U shaped graph for the last question? I was losing the head with that question tbh hahah

Do you mean diagonal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

It's up now on the SEC website

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JWM12

Chloee98 wrote: »
    What did everyone get for the last two parts on the functions and for the maximum and minimum for the Venn diagram?

My maximum was 38 coz yeno, the lower side got 38

My minimum was 5. I stuck X in the intersection, 72-X in one and 38-X in the other, -2X = -10
    X=5. Whether or not that's right I don't know but I really hope it is.

What did you all get for the roots/equations I think it was on question 11? The 4 graph pictures?

I got X squared -X-6 and X squared +X-6

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

I was confident I had done well even though I didn't get Questions 10,11, 12 or 13 done but In thought my graph was good for the functions but I drew both of them on the same graph!!!!! Could I still do well?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

What question are you on about sorry hahaha are you ordinary level? I don't remember anything about bacteria

Wait I'm looking on the SEC site my paper was phase 3 yours must have been phase 2 the graphs are different :P phewwww

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Oisin4 wrote: »
    I was confident I had done well even though I didn't get Questions 10,11, 12 or 13 done but In thought my graph was good for the functions but I drew both of them on the same graph!!!!! Could I still do well?

I did them both on the same graph as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Omargul

What did ye get for the long division q?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

VG31 wrote: »
    I got 1.55n + 10 for the boy and 1.2n (I think) for the girl. n being the amount of sterling. It all worked out so I'm pretty sure that's right. :)

Oh really aw noo:/ mine worked out too so I thought It was right but now I dont know:/

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Why did they let y= -3.3333333?!
    For the Ball Question I said that it would land
    after 4 seconds because the pattern was exponential or could form a parabola and that at 2 seconds it was at the highest point of the parabola so it would take the same time to land:(
    Also for the n^2+n-41 I said that the plus and minus would cancel each other out leaving just the 41^2 which is obviously a composite number as it can be divided by 41:D
    Can someone show me how I should have answered the last 2 parts of the last q ie the ranges?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

Omargul wrote: »
    What did ye get for the long division q?

Oh no! Didn't know there was one and I can do them! Should've done that instead of putting random numbers in the boxes for the questions I didn't know :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

Fwiz wrote: »
    Turns out all I needed was a ruler. How did everyone find that exam?

The question about Ciara's pocket money and Miriam's laps were tricky, I think. Thought it was a fair paper, though :)

I said 41-41=0 and just leaves you with 41 squared meaning that it can't be prime as that's atleast one more set of numbers you can multiply to get 1681.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 00cm

I got y = -3.33333333333 so I just figured I was wrong and kept trying! Damn, hopefully they're able to read where I scribbled it out. :(
    By the way, did we have to use the -b formula anywhere? Some people said we did and some said we didn't.. I used it in that one question where it was like x is a real number or something.

JWM12 wrote: »
    I said 41-41=0 and just leaves you with 41 squared meaning that it can't be prime as that's atleast one more set of numbers you can multiply to get 1681.
    Don't really understand that explanation, they better accept 41 is equal to 41 as it clearly said the formula only works for numbers less than 41.

00cm wrote: »
    I got y = -3.33333333333 so I just figured I was wrong and kept trying! Damn, hopefully they're able to read where I scribbled it out. :(
    By the way, did we have to use the -b formula anywhere? Some people said we did and some said we didn't.. I used it in that one question where it was like x is a real number or something.

Yeah you did have to use the -b formula,

Don't really understand that explanation, they better accept 41 is equal to 41 as it clearly said the formula only works for numbers less than 41.

I think I explained it better on the paper but it's the kinda thing that I can't explain but I can understand, happens me alot with maths :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

00cm wrote: »
    I tried that formula, I knew 10 was the standing charge but didn't know what m was.. hopefully I get a mark or two

M was the slope it's the same as any equation of the line for co ordinate geometry of the line

Beca19 wrote: »
    Wait I'm looking on the SEC site my paper was phase 3 yours must have been phase 2 the graphs are different :P phewwww

There's different phases? Ta me confused

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

For the ball question, I continued on the pattern. Found that at 4 seconds, the ball is still in the air, and at 4.5 seconds, it has already landed. So for the "justify" bit I said that the ball had to have landed at some time between 4 seconds and 4.5 seconds. So I got the mean of 4 seconds and 4.5 seconds to give me 4.25 seconds for an approximate time at which the ball hit the ground/was caught, and the length of time the ball was in the air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

Liordi wrote: »
    I did them both on the same graph as well. :)

oh thank god

Advertisement