Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 Maths Paper One - Fri. June 6th 2014 - all levels***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ConorFTW

I seriously think I got a high A in that paper. I only got 52% in paper 1 in the pres but EVERYTHING worked out for me today. The only question I'm some bit unsure about was the question about estimating the height of the ball. Did ye say it was 5.5m or somewhere around that? I also said the graph was quadratic? Not sure if that's right but everything else went so smooth. Also, I did much better in Paper 2 in the pres, got 77%. Do you think I can rely on paper 2 being easier as well? Or will they screw us all over? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Chloee98 wrote: »
    I said that it didn't work cos it was just 41 squared cos the +41 and -41 cancelled each other out..didn't really understand it tbh

I think I said that 41 squared equalled some number and that number wasn't a prime it could be divided by itself 1 and also 41

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

That was a piece of piss!! Kept checking to make sure I wasn't doing an ordinary paper! Left 20 minutes early!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

ConorFTW wrote: »
    I seriously think I got a high A in that paper. I only got 52% in paper 1 in the pres but EVERYTHING worked out for me today. The only question I'm some bit unsure about was the question about estimating the height of the ball. Did ye say it was 5.5m or somewhere around that? I also said the graph was quadratic? Not sure if that's right but everything else went so smooth. Also, I did much better in Paper 2 in the pres, got 77%. Do you think I can rely on paper 2 being easier as well? Or will they screw us all over? Thanks

its the SEC so theyll probs screw us over ;) ah no, just know your stuff like theorems, constructions etc and you should be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

@Conor
    We did 2 mock papers (2 paper ones, 2 paper twos)
    One of the paper twos was way easier than the other, so I'd imagine they'd have it fairly medium-ish.
    I'd have considered our paper one today rather difficult..but the questions I like tend to be the ones others dislike. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

yaEHya wrote: »
    I think I filled in 41 and got 1681 and the square root of that was 41 I didn't no what the question was about.

I did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Creamy_Pies

coolerboy wrote: »
    You had to say that but I just used figures and and a short explanation.

Do you remember what the exact question was? I'm starting to think I gave the wrong answer, not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Did alright on that paper. A low B i'd say for me. I prefer paper 2 much more. gonna work my ass off for that paper this weekend. really want an A grade

yaEHya wrote: »
    How did you get 10? I think I got 4.5

I worked it out by continuing a table and I'm pretty sure I got just under 4.5

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Chloee98 wrote: »
    I think I got something like 2.17x for the girl and 1.15x+10 for the boy..not sure though..I got that they were the same at 200

I got this aswell.

• Advertisement

Do you remember what the exact question was? I'm starting to think I gave the wrong answer, not sure though.

In 1789 person x figured that using the formula n^2 + n - 41 would only give prime numbers.
    This formula works for numbers under 41.
    Explain why the formula wouldn't work for the number 41.

Something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

Liordi wrote: »
    but wasn't the answer in the question? :/
    My memory is kinda hazy atm but I thought it said "the formula works for numbers when n is less than 41. Explain why this wouldn't work when n = 41."
    I said something like 41 isn't less than 41, therefore it isn't going to work.

For n = 41, it produces a square number, 1681, which is equal to 41×41, the smallest composite number for this formula. If 41 divides n, it divides P(n) too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Xgracie wrote: »
    I worked it out by continuing a table and I'm pretty sure I got just under 4.5

Thats exactly how i did it. Is that how they want you to do and would you get full marks for that

Thats exactly how i did it. Is that how they want you to do and would you get full marks for that

Well like once you have correct answer and a correct method id assume you'd get the marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DanielChester

ECM1234 wrote: »
    10 minutes

That isn't a plausible answer, how can a ball remain in the air for 10minutes?...

I'd imagine you'd get full marks for it. :)
    Don't see why you wouldn't, that's how I did it as well, won't remember my answer until I see the paper. :(

That isn't a plausible answer, how can a ball remain in the air for 10minutes?...

Think he means 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yaEHya

Ya I think I said 4.4 I got it by working out the second change and thats why I said it was quadratic aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

Liordi wrote: »
    Think he means 10 seconds.

Whoops, yeah that's what I mean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Did anybody else have a point on there u shaped graph my the functions that wasn't on the u I think it was like (-1, 3) or something.

• Advertisement

its the SEC so theyll probs screw us over ;) ah no, just know your stuff like theorems, constructions etc and you should be grand!

Wrong, you won't be grand, a majority of the paper will include statistics & graphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

I got 20% for the tax question but everyone else got 19%. Do you think 20 is within the acceptable answers. I got one of the graphs (kinda i think) but had no idea how to do the second one, does anyone know how you do it?

Did anyone else get a vertical graph and a U shaped graph for the last question? I was losing the head with that question tbh hahah

ECM1234 wrote: »
    Whoops, yeah that's what I mean

I wonder how you got 10 seconds though, if I recall the ball began descending at 3 seconds. ._.

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    I got 20% for the tax question but everyone else got 19%. Do you think 20 is within the acceptable answers. I got one of the graphs (kinda i think) but had no idea how to do the second one, does anyone know how you do it?

You'll most likely get high partial.
    Which graph are you referencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chloee98

I think I did my graphs okay (one linear and one quadratic) but I drew my scale too small so the graph was tiny..will I lose marks even though my graph was correct :o

Wrong, you won't be grand, a majority of the paper will include statistics & graphs.

that's why i put etc, presuming they knew all of that would already be on the paper

Did anyone else get a vertical graph and a U shaped graph for the last question? I was losing the head with that question tbh hahah

One was U shaped the other was linear.

You most likely mistakenly rounded something, you'll still get a majority of the marks, so it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Creamy_Pies

Once you have the right method, etc, you get half the marks going for the question or something like that. Which graph are you on about? g(x) or f(x)?

Advertisement