Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 Maths Paper One - Fri. June 6th 2014 - all levels***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Well a question like it came up in our pre and I did it like you and I only got high partial and when I asked my teacher whos a JC corrector she said in the JC I'd get low partial for doing it the way I did.

I just hope that they will accept it because if we weren't given the table or we would be able to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DanielChester

Liordi wrote: »
    Don't think you can solve part five with this, though.
    Also, your formula doesn't hold through.

S = 20
    C = 33
    33 =/= 20 + 23

You dont give a value for C , as C is the output, lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

If I want to get 20 sterling then.

20 + 23 = 43.
    43 is incorrect from the table. ;)

If I want to get 20 sterling then.

20 + 23 = 43.
    43 is incorrect from the table. ;)

thats because of the standing charge, i already stated it in my formula in the exam :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

nokia211 wrote: »
    I just hope that they will accept it because if we weren't given the table or we would be able to do it

Well you'll probably get low or maybe high partial if your lucky. But from what my teacher said from one of here in services was the point of the question was to check your ability to apply the equation of the line formula from your co ordinate geometry of the line. This is something they are going to do in project maths as well is link all the different stands and topics no matter what paper.

• Advertisement

thats because of the standing charge, i already stated it in my formula in the exam :)

So, how does your formula work?

I'm sorry I can't see how your formula works just post exactly what the formula you wrote down for John was and exactly what each letter you used like x or y means.

So, how does your formula work?

lets say i want £50.
    50+23 = 73 euro simple

lets say i want £50.
    50+23 = 73 euro simple

Not the same answer as the correct formula. :)

Not the same answer as the correct formula. :)

There is no "correct" formula. lol

• Advertisement

There is no "correct" formula. lol

1.15x + 10 = y
    Where x = sterling
    y = euro

1.15x + 10 = y
    Where x = sterling
    y = euro

Congratulations your formula works but it isn't the "correct" formula, its just a correct answer as it works, as long as the formula does what the question tells you to do it does not matter wether or not it looks completely different to yours.

Congratulations your formula works but it isn't the "correct" formula, its just a correct answer as it works, as long as the formula does what the question tells you to do it does not matter wether or not it looks completely different to yours.

That isn't my formula, I got the question wrong.
    I'm just saying your formula doesn't work.

That isn't my formula, I got the question wrong.
    I'm just saying your formula doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure it does work my dear friend

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

Ah, that's pretty neat.
    I'd imagine you'd get marks for it, but I presume you didn't solve part (v)?

I used y=mx+b for both question (iii) and (iv) where m is the slope and b is where the line hits the y-axis. For part (v), I let equation (iii)=(iv) and it equaled 200. I verified it, and it looked correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

There are different formulae and letters you can use. I had 1.15n + 10 and 1.2n for the other one (n being the amount in £).

That was the correct formula it also would have accepted the slope as a fraction. It's what they were looking for and is what teachers were told the sec wanted at in services

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

I'm pretty sure it does work my dear friend

Sorry to tell ya, but it really doesn't.

VG31 wrote: »
    There are different formulae and letters you can use. I had 1.15n + 10 and 1.2n for the other one (n being the amount in £).

You can use what ever letters you wanted but basically what they were looking for was it in the form of y=mx +c they don't care what letters you use once it's in that form.

You can use what ever letters you wanted but basically what they were looking for was it in the form of y=mx +c they don't care what letters you use once it's in that form.

oh, ohwell at least i'll get some marks, not like the question carried that many to knock me down a grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

That was the correct formula it also would have accepted the slope as a fraction. It's what they were looking for and is what teachers were told the sec wanted at in services
    so would they accept :
    10+23/20n Jake
    and 24/20n for Susan?

Kelly090 wrote: »
    so would they accept :
    10+23/20n Jake
    and 24/20n for Susan?

10 + 20/23x
    20/24x

10 + 20/23x
    20/24x

So yes??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bidonville2

For Jack I did: Tn = 23n +10, where "Tn" is the amount in sterling with every £20 increase raising the value of Tn by 1, ie. at £20, Tn = 1 and at £60, Tn = 3. "n" represents the cost in €.
    For Sarah I did: Tn = 24n, with the same explanation.
    My formulae work but would I get the marks for it?

so would they accept :
    10+23/20n Jake
    and 24/20n for Susan?

Yes the letter doesn't matter don't you remember that from algebra you could have had r or f for all they care but they were looking for that y=mx+c or in the format of y=mx+c

Did no ones teachers go through what happened on in services with them?

Yes the letter doesn't matter don't you remember that from algebra you could have had r or f for all they care but they were looking for that y=mx+c or in the format of y=mx+c

Thanks, just out of curiosity how would u solve that?

y = 1.15x + 10 (-) => -y = -1.15x - 10
    y = 1.2x

.05x - 10 = 0
    .05x = 10 (20)
    x = 200

So you let y= to the cost in euro
    Let m as always =to slope so let's say 23/20
    Then let x= the amount in sterling
    And c as all ways = y intercept so in this case 10

Therefore y= 23/20(x) +10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yaEHya

What did peoples thing look like for when they had to draw how fast the cone would fill up?

Advertisement