Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

IF it goes ahead it's going to be August though from the looks of it. decision time for a lot between kenmare and this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

mossym wrote: »
    IF it goes ahead it's going to be August though from the looks of it. decision time for a lot between kenmare and this.

I dunno, price is going to be a big influencer for a lot of people I'd say. Is Dublin likely to be x3 the cost of Kenmare entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »

As much as the langers pi$$ me off with registration times, and as expensive as kenmare is for the new dates.

Never get the first version of a device, never marry your first girlfriend, and never ever do the first iteration of a race.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd somehow suspect prices more along the lines of the UK ones, the new Staffordshire race sold out in minutes at £225...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Lads any chance of registration opening for this within the next two weeks? I'm away on hols and will have very limited access to tinternet......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If Ironman were confident this was going to take place, they would have a date confirmed 100% by now. There are only 4 weekends when this can be on as the city is already closed for the Rock and Roll half on the bank holiday weekend (assume that's set in stone) and if you count DCT that's another weekend gone when there is no chance they'll get DCC road closures...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    As much as the langers pi$$ me off with registration times, and as expensive as kenmare is for the new dates.

Never get the first version of a device, never marry your first girlfriend, and never ever do the first iteration of a race.

Kenmare aint expensive if u shop around. We got a 2 bedroom apt (slept 4) at Kenmare bay hotel for lest than 300 for the 2 nights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

If Ironman were confident this was going to take place, they would have a data confirmed 100% by now. There are only 4 weekends when this can be on as the city is already closed for the Rock and Roll half on the bank holiday weekend (assume that's set in stone) and if you count DCT that's another weekend gone when there is no chance they'll get DCC road closures...

I don't think IM would care about DCT. There is going to be a NS race on regardless of which weekend they chose and I dont think (IM) they would worry about not getting a crowd.

IIRC, Galway went head to head with another NS race in Connaught the first year? (Could be mistaken.....)

EC1000 wrote: »
    I don't think IM would care about DCT. There is going to be a NS race on regardless of which weekend they chose and I dont think (IM) they would worry about not getting a crowd.

IIRC, Galway went head to head with another NS race in Connaught the first year? (Could be mistaken.....)

DCC would though!

I'm sure DCC would happily screw Piranha for Ironman though.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

The first thing I'll do when a date is confirmed for this is see what other races are on that weekend and enter one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Podge83 wrote: »
    The first thing I'll do when a date is confirmed for this is see what other races are on that weekend and enter one.

It will not clash with DCT anyway as they couldnt have IM 70,3 T2 in the Park on the same day as DCT

Ceepo wrote: »
    It will not clash with DCT anyway as they couldnt have IM 70,3 T2 in the Park on the same day as DCT

OPW and Dublin City Council will not care about DCT if Ironman come knocking. DCT would be expected to change their date. Though TI are not supportive of IM Dublin from what I gathered when it was originally announced. I doubt Piranha have anything to worry about in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

OPW and Dublin City Council will not care about DCT if Ironman come knocking. DCT would be expected to change their date. Though TI are not supportive of IM Dublin from what I gathered when it was originally announced. I doubt Piranha have anything to worry about in any case.

Will DCC stump up the hello money? That's the big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Ceepo wrote: »

Throw in an All-Ireland semi final also.

Anyway, the provisional date touted earlier sounds more like Caroline Kearney weekend rather than DCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Podge83 wrote: »
    Throw in an All-Ireland semi final also.

Anyway, the provisional date touted earlier sounds more like Caroline Kearney weekend rather than DCT?

Meh, not even Ironman would be foolish enough to go head to head with CK tri :)

AKW wrote: »
    Will DCC stump up the hello money? That's the big question.

"hey people we want 100k to give to some company to close our roads during the summer, they say it will bring tourists"

"no way - sure you can't swing a cat without hitting a tourist"

The problem for Piaranha if it was on the same day would be volunteers and spectators. "What go and watch a baby triathlon?"

Never get the first version of a device...

God help any eejit that orders a 920xt for you ....

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

Any word if registration will open soon or if it will even go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

4/7 doesn't happen in 2015
    5/4 it does

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jungle jim

bopperr wrote: »
    4/7 doesn't happen in 2015
    5/4 it does

ill take a ton at 4/7 bopperr. Longer it goes without an announcement the less likely it looks that this race will go ahead imo, which is a shame. with the rumoured dates going around would only give racers 9/10 months notice and less if its not announced soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

jungle jim wrote: »
    ill take a ton at 4/7 bopperr. Longer it goes without an announcement the less likely it looks that this race will go ahead imo, which is a shame. with the rumoured dates going around would only give racers 9/10 months notice and less if its not announced soon.

That is an old price! As you say as each day goes by this is becoming more and more less likely!

1/4 no
    5/2 yes

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

Latest word is there's a "Glitch" with the bike route..!! Have to agree with Tunney and Co here and say this is going to be a non runner, .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

such a shame

Latest word is there's a "Glitch" with the bike route..!! Have to agree with Tunney and Co here and say this is going to be a non runner, .

Once their first few choices for a swim location got refused it was dead in the water, pardon the pun.
    miller82 wrote: »
    such a shame

Why?

I really don't get the attraction to doing a HIM or IM in Dublin.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I really don't get the attraction to doing a HIM or IM in Dublin.

Similar reasons as to why people end up travelling for races like the RnR half - novelty, combine a fun weekend away with a race etc. Also there are plenty of people outside of Ireland who would like the idea of combining a race with a weekend back home, also the fact that with the weak euro there is a decent chance it would end up working out cheaper than IM70.3 Exmoor or Staffordshire.

I'm lazy though and really can't be arsed travelling more than 2-3 hours door to door outside of London for a race next year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Once their first few choices for a swim location got refused it was dead in the water, pardon the pun.

Why?

Why would someone that does triathlon in Ireland think its a shame that this race isnt happening ? really, you cant think why ? obviously becasue i would like to do it :cool:

its not for everyone and some snobs/tri hipsters wouldnt take part fair enough, but there will obviously be a large amount of people involved in tri here that would be interested in doing this race on home soil

Why would someone that does triathlon in Ireland think its a shame that this race isnt happening ? really, you cant think why ? obviously becasue i would like to do it :cool:

its not for everyone and some snobs/tri hipsters wouldnt take part fair enough, but there will obviously be a large amount of people involved in tri here that would be interested in doing this race on home soil

I disagree.

Look at how numbers of domestic athletes fell in the second year of Galway 70.3. If there was demand for such an event it would still be going.

Sure, Dublin has a higher population and bigger market but there is not likely to be enough demand or growth in triathlon to sustain domestic numbers for future events.

I'd love some stats to back me up but year 1 will always be big numbers, followed by a swift fall off.

Have you considered where the swim will be? The bike? The run?
    Go out on the 27th of this month and get an idea of "local support".
    The road closures were never going to happen.

I'm a Dub. I like Dublin. I even like Wicklow. But I can think of many better places to run a half.

Really? Why obviously? I've not heard anyone say "I'd do it".

This isn't snobbery. I'd happily do halfs all over ireland, I just don't see the attaction of the venue, perhaps to non locals its attractive and I can see the draw to foreigners, at least the first time. But this are peoples regular stomping grounds. Who hasn't knocked their nuts out up Sally Gap in the snow and rain dreaming of races in different venues, in the heat. Not the same place in possibly slightly warmer conditions. People also want a race thats guaranteed to happen, with a guaranteed level of quality. This doesn't come from the brand name but from the organisers and local support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

AKW wrote: »
    I disagree.

Look at how numbers of domestic athletes fell in the second year of Galway 70.3. If there was demand for such an event it would still be going.

Sure, Dublin has a higher population and bigger market but there is not likely to be enough demand or growth in triathlon to sustain domestic numbers for future events.

I'd love some stats to back me up but year 1 will always be big numbers, followed by a swift fall off.

I assume challenge Galway is a complete non-runner? Have heard zero on it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement