Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    I don't have much time for TI but they don't need WTC.

They need each other Itu to grow olympic distance sport and growing a structure in countries , WTC to grow long distance sport and the markting work they do for the sport.

Being honest I don't think there is anything that will stop the decline in numbers in Ireland. Its a cyclical thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    Being honest I don't think there is anything that will stop the decline in numbers in Ireland. Its a cyclical thing.

without an ironman race you might well be right with one i would think you are wrong. pretty much all the people that do an 70.3 race also do sprint and oly distance races. and ironman worldwide grew from 60 000 participants 5 years ago to 200 000 last year so they will grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

tunney wrote: »

Is there really a decline in numbers, or are you talking about a future decline?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Basster wrote: »
    Is there really a decline in numbers, or are you talking about a future decline?

Ah, hell no MOD Spin
    Not exactly what you'd call a thorough study but maybe this is what Tunney is referring to?

Judging by the difficulty in getting an entry to NS races this year though it doesn't seem like it's any less popular, although reducing the number of NS races probably has had a big bearing on the difficulty in finding entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Basster wrote: »

Interesting topic. Would need to be backed with stats, but an educated guess would say that the growth in TI membership is a net growth.

Gotta look at two different streams of membership or participants.

Long term TI members / club members involved in the sport for several years and those that come in and go out in 2 / 3 years with accomplishment ticked.

First stream will probably be a situation of natural decline and new members coming in, I think this acounts for the mid to long term rise in TI membership.

In the second stream you will be more aware of a cyclical nature as interest rises and falls. This probably won't reflect in TI full membership but would be apparent in the ODL trends.

I don't think I would agree with the 'decline' of the sport. Definitely a change in the sport alright, and probably a drift from the purist element of the sport too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 DrDefrag

Hey,

Leo is all for the IM. but he'll be busy with his new portfolio in Health to care about it most likely. This was the majors idea. The thing is, there is no local organising committee. Unlike in Galway there is no one operating on the ground. Who is going to do all the route planning and local council negotiating, race organising etc. IM don't do this. But with such a large pre-registered list you might see some professional outfit tender for the job. I still don't see a decent swim / transition 1 option not for 2/3k plus athletes. The notion of a T2 somewhere else much further away gives me the 'grim'.

The ITU had negotiations with Ironman last week to discuss harmonizing rules, so that should be interesting. (Www.triathlon.org)

TI have a mandate to get ITU events here for our elites, para athletes, age groupers and kids, (it's a more accessible brand) but getting a guaranteed quality water in the city is the problem. their response to IM was a pretty cool but measured one. IM is a big brand and it is triathlon after all but not part of Olympic family, which is where all the funding goes to and comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Crossing the finish line in IM Austria this weekend there was a lad in an official looking tshirt shaking everyone's hands. He saw my irish number and said "See you in Dublin next year". I asked him if they're definitely coming and he said "of course"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 archiers17

I am a bit confuesd as to how the logistics will work for IM Dublin 70.3 ? They are proposing on having the finish line in Merrion Square which would mean a transition area a substantial distance away from the finish line.

Also, anyone who has been to or competed in an IM event will know the whole village takes up a large amount of space, for a few days at a time and also needs to be easily accessible. If the finish line would be elsewhere, I cant think of anywhere, or an area, (within reasonable distance of the city) that would be able to cater for the event. They may then have to look further afield. This might end up being similar to the "Barcelona" IM (previously Challenge event until this year) which is actually held in Calaella, a coastal town about an hour drive south of Barcelona, in the Maresme area.

I'm not sure if this event will definitely press ahead as there seems to be a lot of elements , up in the air. Look what happened with Berlin 70.3 this year. It was all in place but they could nail down a bike route/transition area with the local council, so they cancelled it 2 months before hand.

It will be interesting to see, I think it more likely if the event goes ahead it could be more along the lines of Ironman 70.3 Bettystown

archiers17 wrote: »
    I am a bit confuesd as to how the logistics will work for IM Dublin 70.3 ? They are proposing on having the finish line in Merrion Square which would mean a transition area a substantial distance away from the finish line.

Also, anyone who has been to or competed in an IM event will know the whole village takes up a large amount of space, for a few days at a time and also needs to be easily accessible. If the finish line would be elsewhere, I cant think of anywhere, or an area, (within reasonable distance of the city) that would be able to cater for the event. They may then have to look further afield. This might end up being similar to the "Barcelona" IM (previously Challenge event until this year) which is actually held in Calaella, a coastal town about an hour drive south of Barcelona, in the Maresme area.

I'm not sure if this event will definitely press ahead as there seems to be a lot of elements , up in the air. Look what happened with Berlin 70.3 this year. It was all in place but they could nail down a bike route/transition area with the local council, so they cancelled it 2 months before hand.

It will be interesting to see, I think it more likely if the event goes ahead it could be more along the lines of Ironman 70.3 Bettystown

Ironman Frankfurt. Split transition. T1 by the lake, T2 near town, finish in a fantastically scenic venue. Village somewhere else. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Trinity will be big enough for the transition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

miller82 wrote: »
    Trinity will be big enough for the transition

Just thinking RDS although there's always something going on out there. Simmonscourt could.work too. T1 in, eh, I don't know.

BTH wrote: »
    Just thinking RDS although there's always something going on out there. Simmonscourt could.work too. T1 in, eh, I don't know.

RDS would work.
    When i initially heard the rumour about this and posted it here a while ago, it had come via someone in Trinity. Trinity were contacted about using the grounds for transition and had agreed. That may have changed, but it seems perfect to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Looks like it's on!
    mod snip

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Does a 'bike course through the stunning countryside surrounding Dublin' mean the wicklow mountains? Does anyone know how hilly or flat is this course likely to be? Would they usually have a mostly flat course with maybe one decent climb in it, or is there no typical course?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Does a 'bike course through the stunning countryside surrounding Dublin' mean the wicklow mountains? Does anyone know how hilly or flat is this course likely to be? Would they usually have a mostly flat course with maybe one decent climb in it, or is there no typical course?
    There is no typical course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

I've already put my name on the wish list.

I'm assuming the swim will be around seapoint/dun laoghaire.

I would not be too happy having to head back to transition to get retrieve my bike. I assume they'll have Dublin Dus on hand to transport us all back to transition.

This time next year we'll all be tapering with 2 weeks to go. bring it on!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

archiers17 wrote: »
    if the event goes ahead it could be more along the lines of Ironman 70.3 Bettystown

brilliant!!!!

Considering I'm from Drogheda, this would be great. A few hills around Naul would be great.

The run would be pure flat!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Anyone have any idea when reg will be opening for this?
    Its generally open close to a year in advance for IM's is it not?
    Also assuming its going to cost around E250?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when reg will be opening for this?
    Its generally open close to a year in advance for IM's is it not?
    Also assuming its going to cost around E250?

You can't open reg when you don't even have a race date.

http://eu.ironman.com/events/triathlon-races.aspx#axzz3AkEqdECW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

All seems very very vague, Staffordshire was announced a month ago with a date, course details and registration opened a couple of weeks later...this seems like another Garth Brooks saga

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

EC1000 wrote: »

http://eu.ironman.com/events/triathlon-races.aspx#axzz3AkEqdECW

you taking money on that? :)

i don't think we'll see a date for this ever, bit i wouldn't bet against them opening reg with tbd as the date

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

EC1000 wrote: »
    Interesting. They had it as 9th August when I looked a few weeks ago.

I think that was the date quoted in the paper when it was announced, didnt think that date had ever been published on the IM site

mossym wrote: »

i don't think we'll see a date for this ever

ah here. sssssssssshhh dont be saying that !!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

miller82 wrote: »
    ah here. sssssssssshhh dont be saying that !!!!

sure i can only be proven wrong......

or right....

mossym wrote: »
    you taking money on that? :)

i don't think we'll see a date for this ever, bit i wouldn't bet against them opening reg with tbd as the date

I've a feeling both this and Challenge Galway are in the same 'Alice in Wonderland' category of races in Ireland for the next while.

Varadkar at his best propaganda!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

AKW wrote: »
    I've a feeling both this and Challenge Galway are in the same 'Alice in Wonderland' category of races in Ireland for the next while.[/quo

<Snip - ffs people, cop on>

TI have it down for August 9th 2015 from Dun Laoghaire.

Seanie_H wrote: »
    <Snip - ffs people, cop on>

TI have it down for August 9th 2015 from Dun Laoghaire.

That unfortunately is not TI and I thought TI commented recently that there had been no moves from IM to have the race sanctioned which would be a big indication of how likely the race was going to be going ahead.

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    That unfortunately is not TI and I thought TI commented recently that there had been no moves from IM to have the race sanctioned which would be a big indication of how likely the race was going to be going ahead.

Looks like I'll be right once again. .......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement