Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Alot of the races are more GM cars though

http://beta.slashdot.org/story/202999

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

For me I can't see myself affording the layout for an Event abroad anytime soon and now that my season is over before it started I am looking to see what I can target next year. With this in August it gives me a long time to recover properly and build up.

I'm not sure what the draw is but something is pushing me towards the IM70.3 over a domestic race that I could do anytime as the IM branded race could be a lot rarer on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

For me I can't see myself affording the layout for an Event abroad anytime soon and now that my season is over before it started I am looking to see what I can target next year. With this in August it gives me a long time to recover properly and build up.

I'm not sure what the draw is but something is pushing me towards the IM70.3 over a domestic race that I could do anytime as the IM branded race could be a lot rarer on this island.

Id be in the same boat, couldnt justify the extra expense involved in doing an ironman abroad and not too bothered about going long anyway but may well dip my toes in for this as it will cut out a lot of the travel expense and hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah I thought €150 or so was too much for Lough Cultra this year, went with Athy instead.

The Lough Cutra half was only €105 with the discount which seemed to be available right up until a few weeks before the race.

I have only ever done 2 half's, the ironman branded one in Galway two years ago & Lough Cutra this year. To me Lough Cutra was much better value
    & equally as professionally well run. I thought the aid stations were better & there was more of them.

In terms of value, at Galway two years ago (which cost €240) we got a T-shirt & some dodgy Supermacs afterwards.
    At Lough Cutra I got a lovely Castle Series rucksack, a speedo towel, a T-shirt, some nice food afterwards & a half hour massage.

The only thing that was better about the branded event was the closed roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

PWEI wrote: »
    The Lough Cutra half was only €105 with the discount which seemed to be available right up until a few weeks before the race.

and that was the 20% discount, there was a 30% open until the end of january.
    In terms of value, at Galway two years ago (which cost €240) we got a T-shirt & some dodgy Supermacs afterwards.
    At Lough Cutra I got a lovely Castle Series rucksack, a speedo towel, a T-shirt, some nice food afterwards & a half hour massage.
    rucksack and a t-shirt? we got nada for the olympic, well the towel but pretty sure they were speedo sponsored/donated .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I was planning my season back in January and they were looking for £160 (almost €200) at that stage so I went for TriAthy instead. Far too much for a non-branded race.
    http://www.castletriathlonseries.co.uk/the-series/lough-cutra-castle/#Race distances and pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

I have only ever done 2 half's, the ironman branded one in Galway two years ago & Lough Cutra this year. To me Lough Cutra was much better value
    & equally as professionally well run. I thought the aid stations were better & there was more of them.

The only thing that was better about the branded event was the closed roads.

I did the Half also but i must of been so knackered at the end i missed the rucksack and T-shirt!!!! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I was planning my season back in January and they were looking for £160 (almost €200) at that stage so I went for TriAthy instead. Far too much for a non-branded race.
    http://www.castletriathlonseries.co.uk/the-series/lough-cutra-castle/#Race distances and pricing

Just checked there. I entered on the 22nd of Jan and it cost £105.

After the race in May entry for the 2015 race was available at a 30% discount.

Maybe the price went up and down during the entry period. Strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you book through the Irish website www.loughcutratri.ie the entry is cheaper than through the UK site and there was a 30% discount too.

Triangla wrote: »
    Just checked there. I entered on the 22nd of Jan and it cost £105.

After the race entry for the 2015 race was available at a 30% discount.

Maybe the price went up and down during the entry period. Strange one.

As before re which website you went through. 30% off for ages and about 6 weeks out the earlybird finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

topcat77 wrote: »
    I did the Half also but i must of been so knackered at the end i missed the rucksack and T-shirt!!!! :-(

You had to collect them from one of the tents after the race.

Looking back through my emails, I paid €105 in February. I booked through the Irish site, the UK site as AKW said was much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Killser

As TI made a bid for this (I'm getting this from previous posts), you would assume they would row in with Tech Officials etc - who are Ironman gonna get to marshal the event, they will need a lot of bodies!

Killser wrote: »
    As TI made a bid for this (I'm getting this from previous posts), you would assume they would row in with Tech Officials etc - who are Ironman gonna get to marshal the event, they will need a lot of bodies!

In the UK they partner with the likes of the Rotary club.
    On the continent people just volunteer as they know the financial boost the region gets.
    In the US they give priority entry to the following years event.

What the Irish will do???

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I heard the preregistration is up to 4000 now. Im not that pushed about this. Id prefer to wait and see what kind of course it will be. And how good the organisation seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've pre-registered but am75% sure I won't end up doing it. If I'm about I'd like to volunteer at it tho, assuming they don't have "training evenings" for volunteers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

was thinking about this, IM UK 70.3 is june right? this one being the other end of the summer it will probably attract a fair few UK entrants. hell, if they timed it right, they could probably get on the ferry as a bike passenger and only have to stay the night before the race, get back on the evening of the race

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

mossym wrote: »
    was thinking about this, IM UK 70.3 is june right? this one being the other end of the summer it will probably attract a fair few UK entrants. hell, if they timed it right, they could probably get on the ferry as a bike passenger and only have to stay the night before the race, get back on the evening of the race
    IMUK 70.3 is the second weekend of June (last weekend). Pretty sure there's talk of another 70.3 in the UK next year too.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Part of me thinks it would be pretty cool to do my first HIM distance in my home city, but next year is just awkward for it! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

tunney wrote: »
    In the UK they partner with the likes of the Rotary club.
    On the continent people just volunteer as they know the financial boost the region gets.
    In the US they give priority entry to the following years event.

What the Irish will do???

Perhaps the minister for sport will get a loan of the Irish Army for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

Really looking forward to doing a middle distance race in Dublin! did my first one this summer up in nottingham and enjoyed the part where I crossed the line!

For anyone worried about the swim, I struggled to swim 500m consecutively in a pool back in January and did the swim in 46 min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 DrDefrag

this event won't happen. it was a solo run by the outgoing mayor. this event was on a wish list of personal objectives for him. he is gone and wasn't even re-elected to the council. so no one will be driving it there. read the strongly worded TI posting also. there are no concrete plans for the event and no local organizing committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

DrDefrag wrote: »
    this event won't happen. it was a solo run by the outgoing mayor. this event was on a wish list of personal objectives for him. he is gone and wasn't even re-elected to the council. so no one will be driving it there. read the strongly worded TI posting also. there are no concrete plans for the event and no local organizing committee.

This article? I got a completely different tone. Also, I thought it was Leo who pushed this?

http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=1786

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Seanie_H wrote: »
    This article? I got a completely different tone. Also, I thought it was Leo who pushed this?

http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=1786

Weren't TI trying to sort out a middle or long distance event as well?

First time I've read the TI article, sounds to me like they're against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Is it not too big to fail/block with over 3k pre registered? Announced across Ironman Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I guess this what happens when competitors work togheter, their is friction from time to time but most of the times they work it out at the end of the day and if one side is successful usually the other side profits from it too.
    I guess the best example in recent years is Denmark where the arrival of Challenger and Ironman something like tenfolded the membership of triathlon denmark governing body in a very short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

It does very much sound like they're against it, doesn't it?
    We look forward to Ironman 70.3 Dublin submitting an application to TI for sanctioning of the race and wish them well with the event and with the logistics involved in staging such an event in the City of Dublin [\QUOTE]

They also state earlier in the article that their main goal is to bring an ITU event to Ireland. It sounds like they think that they're doing a fine job of growing the sport in Ireland and wish that DCC would just butt out. Which is an odd position to take given that IM is the most recognisable brand in triathlon and is likely to attract more people to the sport. Especially in a location such as Dublin where the publicity, and indeed the event itself, are likely to be visible to a large number of people in the country.

Personally, I can't understand how this can be anything other than a good thing for the sport. Provided the event is properly run of course and they get the necessary road closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

What exactly would TI sanction bring to the race?? An increase in unpunished drafting perhaps? Lots of disqualifications for bare nipples? Ironman don't need TI, TI need Ironman.

griffin100 wrote: »
    What exactly would TI sanction bring to the race?? An increase in unpunished drafting perhaps? Lots of disqualifications for bare nipples? Ironman don't need TI, TI need Ironman.

I'd disagree. TI don't need Ironman to grow the sport in Ireland.

The potential here is great for triathlon tourism attracting people from around the world to race in Dublin.

I think the short term, yes, lots of interest in triathlon, medium and long term Ironman will not bring growth to triathlon in Ireland. The sport needs proper development, training and education from the club level up. At the moment this is not being done and TI and us as members need to look at this.

We can all blame TI and race committees for drafting and penalties etc, but ultimately it comes down to the integrity of the participants to follow the rules, no matter how stupid they are.

griffin100 wrote: »

WTC events are under under the local ITU NGB.

IM Austria in 2009, 2010 was, Frankfurt in 2011 was, Challenge Roth in 2012 was and IM Frankfurt this year will be too. All the WTC events are run under ITU NGBs.

Anyone that is in Ireland will be no different.

Bare nipples can be over come with changing tents.

I don't have much time for TI but they don't need WTC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I don't have much time for TI but they don't need WTC.

They need each other Itu to grow olympic distance sport and growing a structure in countries , WTC to grow long distance sport and the markting work they do for the sport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement