Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 somebody.else

Its a pity, I had planned on doing it to raise money for CAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

ray o wrote: »
    That and the increase of knobs that will be sporting IM branded jackets and bags in the shopping centers and training rooms post race.

Interesting that you think anyone who wears a I'M brand jacket or carries a IM brand bag is a knob. Do you also think anyone who carries a Dunnes, Nike etc branded bag or a Branded jacket a how as well.

Would you normally judge people by what the wear or what bag the use to carry there gear in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Ceepo wrote: »
    Interesting that you think anyone who wears a I'M brand jacket or carries a IM brand bag is a knob. Do you also think anyone who carries a Dunnes, Nike etc branded bag or a Branded jacket a how as well.

Would you normally judge people by what the wear or what bag the use to carry there gear in ?

If you read my replies to the comments of others you might not have to ask this.

However, is it ok to think that people who are not really knobs (when you get to know them) can do things or wear things or say things that occasionally make them look or act like a knob? We've all been there at some point. You either give a sh1t or you don't.

It is interesting that comments (not in this thread) about IM tattoos dont seem to get people as wound up in the same way as commenting on the wearing of an IM jacket would.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Why does that Tunney guy get so exercised by whether this goes ahead or not? I thought he flounced off the tri scene for some reason or other.
    Add me to the list of people that are dissapointed, no way im spunking well over a grand of my hard earned to do one of these abroad, I know theres plenty of soft Iron-Wusses who couldnt stomach the thought of a bit of wind and rain and a course with a few bumps on it but im not one of them.
    They could have called the dublin event Steel man because it takes more guts then hunting for the least challenging, flattest nicest weather course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

ray o wrote: »
    If you read my replies to the comments of others you might not have to ask this.

However, is it ok to think that people who are not really knobs (when you get to know them) can do things or wear things or say things that occasionally make them look or act like a knob? We've all been there at some point. You either give a sh1t or you don't.

I agree that there are of course knobs out there. However I would not be calling them knobs for wearing a brand of jacket or carrying a bag. Why would I give a sh1t what they wear ?

It is interesting that comments (not in this thread) about IM tattoos dont seem to get people as wound up in the same way as commenting on the wearing of an IM jacket would.

why would the get wound up about tattoos ?
    If someone does not like them then don't get on.
    why judge someone that does like them. ?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Why does that Tunney guy get so exercised by whether this goes ahead or not? I thought he flounced off the tri scene for some reason or other.
    Add me to the list of people that are dissapointed, no way im spunking well over a grand of my hard earned to do one of these abroad, I know theres plenty of soft Iron-Wusses who couldnt stomach the thought of a bit of wind and rain and a course with a few bumps on it but im not one of them.
    They could have called the dublin event Steel man because it takes more guts then hunting for the least challenging, flattest nicest weather course
    Wut? There are all kinds of IM races in all kinds of climates. Lots of unbranded races too. I cant speak for tunney but I do not see this going ahead cos theres no way theyll get past the complex logistics.

And if it does youll likely spunk pretty close to a grand for the privilege of lining up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

There's no reason why the logistics can't be overcome if the will is there. I'm assuming that there's no real gra for this event by councils, etc so that's why it can't happen. Official support for events like this that require road closures and cause major disruption just isn't there in this country.

Having an IM branded event in dublin that you could do and drive home from would be nice. I don't see how you'd spend a grand on that. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but so be it. Personally wouldnt spend €300 on a HIM but I'd be temped if a full IM came to dublin.

I suspect a lot of the negativity against this event happening in any form is due to the fact that it will encourage hundreds if not thousands of local newbies to enter and the small number of narcissists that inhabit this forum would be aghast at the dilution of their IM egos by these box tickers. Edit: to be clear this is not a dig at Oryx who I would not include in this grouping.

Seeing as you're relpying to me is the narcissist dig for me too, or is it narcissistic of me to think so? I don't object to this event. Never have. I just dont think it will happen. That makes me a cynic maybe, but undeserving of further insults.

Oryx wrote: »
    Seeing as you're relpying to me is the narcissist dig for me too, or is it narcissistic of me to think so? I don't object to this event. Never have. I just dont think it will happen. That makes me a cynic maybe, but undeserving of further insults.

To be clear the narcissist comment is not directed at you. I'll edit the post to make this clear. The only part of my post that replies to your post is around the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Its the further bit I like - were you deserving of insults up to this point?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

LaGlisse wrote: »
    , I know theres plenty of soft Iron-Wusses who couldnt stomach the thought of a bit of wind and rain and a course with a few bumps on it but im not one of them.

this wasn't an ironman, it was a half, and there are plenty of halves in ireland. so which ones have you done, what were your issues with them, and what would have made this one so special? there must be something wrong with them if you're so disappointed this isn't coming? or is it just the brand?

it's ironic that it's not acceptable to prefer foriegn races over irish, yet it is to prefer IM branded over non branded.

Its the further bit I like - were you deserving of insults up to this point?!
    I called myself cynical.

I called myself cynical.

Anyone who has been involved in triathlon in Ireland for the last few years would be well served to be cynical - I remember Eireman, the last attempt at an east coast IM; I've also been subject to the calls at work and at home from a race owner about whose race I commented on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 somebody.else

griffin100 wrote: »
    There's no reason why the logistics can't be overcome if the will is there. I'm assuming that there's no real gra for this event by councils, etc so that's why it can't happen. Official support for events like this that require road closures and cause major disruption just isn't there in this country.

Who needs to have the will to overcome the logistics?
    The organiser? The NGB? The Clubs?

How will they overcome?
    Three councils?
    How many garda jurasdictions need buy in? Covers two Garda regions (DMR and Eastern), how many divisions? And districts?

As a late comer to this thread it seems as if people have confused objecting to the event (of which I have seen none) with realism. There is just too much to overcome, too little support from the general population, and no vested interests to champion the cause. Its a niche sport, one where the organisers want payment from the local government to host the event.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I suspect a lot of the negativity against this event happening in any form is due to the fact that it will encourage hundreds if not thousands of local newbies to enter and the small number of narcissists that inhabit this forum would be aghast at the dilution of their IM egos by these box tickers.

If we are suspecting and assuming, I suspect that if there were narcissists on this thread then they could quite happily dismiss the "local newbies" based on their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

They're still touting it on Facebook.

"Who'll be racing 70.3 Dublin 9th August 2015? Entries opening soon."

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    They're still touting it on Facebook.

"Who'll be racing 70.3 Dublin 9th August 2015? Entries opening soon."

Two press releases overnight from IM too, both including Dublin on their shedule for 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle if this does in fact go ahead.

Interesting to see that there are 3 races proposed for the same date, all 70.3 and all double asterixed
    Herbalife IRONMAN 70.3 Gdynia**: 09/08/15

IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin**: 09/08/15

Sparkassen Finanzgruppe IRONMAN European Championship 70.3 Wiesbaden**: 09/08/15

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/10/kona-week/turkey-announcement.aspx#ixzz3Fj70MCfo

Are IRONMAN hedging their bets by proposing 3 locations and picking the most popular from pre-reg? There is no explanation for the ** either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Didn't realise it was clashing with Wiesbaden. Does that mean no Pro field*?

*as they will obviously all be at lilliput adventure centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

EC1000 wrote: »
    Didn't realise it was clashing with Wiesbaden. Does that mean no Pro field*?

*as they will obviously all be at lilliput adventure centre
    Ill be in lilliput anyway. 5th visit in 6 years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lopesc

AKW wrote: »
    Are IRONMAN hedging their bets by proposing 3 locations and picking the most popular from pre-reg? There is no explanation for the ** either.

This could be a typo, perhaps? Maybe the meant ** instead of *:
    * First European qualification race(s) for the 2016 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

5/6 yes
    5/6 no

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I imagine the Gdynia one is far more likely to go ahead, it's the kind of city that would be jumping at the chance to host an event like that. Plenty of relatively cheap flights to Gdansk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

bopperr wrote: »
    5/6 yes
    5/6 no

ooooohh getting interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

first triathlon and second in July (1.33, 1.28). third in September(1.21) would have done an Olympic in September after 3rd race if possible. definitely doing ironman 70.3 dublin and if not shadow man. from a novice to experienced triathlons why should I pay the extra cash for ironman 70.3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Tibulus wrote: »
    definitely doing ironman 70.3 dublin and if not shadow man. from a novice to experienced triathlons why should I pay the extra cash for ironman 70.3
    I did my first 70.3 in Ireland (race that can't be spoke about), there were 70 starters, I felt alone at times in the sea, met about 4 cyclists on the entire road and but for the out and back nature of the run course, again would have felt quite alone. By the time I got to the finish, most of the spectators had gone home, we ran through a timing mat to finish nobody about. Biggest achievement of my life to date and felt like I' just finished a saturday morning run.

For that feeling alone, I swore if I ever was to go full distance I'd go for a branded event.
    Just my experience.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I did my first 70.3 in Ireland (race that can't be spoke about), there were 70 starters, I felt alone at times in the sea, met about 4 cyclists on the entire road and but for the out and back nature of the run course, again would have felt quite alone. By the time I got to the finish, most of the spectators had gone home, we ran through a timing mat to finish nobody about. Biggest achievement of my life to date and felt like I' just finished a saturday morning run.

For that feeling alone, I swore if I ever was to go full distance I'd go for a branded event.
    Just my experience.

Sounds like you endured more than enjoyed. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Ironman CEO just mentioned Dublin race during the live coverage for Kona

mossym wrote: »
    Ironman CEO just mentioned Dublin race during the live coverage for Kona

Just heard that myself. Must be a go so. Wish they'd get a course up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Talking to a friend of mine who is relatively high up in the Garda and he was saying that it will go ahead. They had a meeting with Ironman last week to finalise things and to be fair shortly after talking to him they announced the date...He had already suggested same date to me. He said its not in question they are just finalising routes. Hope he is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Just booked my Hotel on booking.com with a pay when i arrive and free cancellation up a day before.

Still not sure if i'll do it but i'm keeping my options open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement