Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

No, I never discounted Challenge, I just said that for a newcomer, novice or whatever tag I should have, I like and would prefer the atmosphere that goes alongside IM.

I am one demographic that events outside of IM should be targeting. I'm a relative newcomer to the sport, Ive progressed from 5k to doing 2 olympic triathlons in a fairly short space of time and I'm looking to move on again. I may not be very good / fast / technical at what I do but I still finished and want to go again. I'll probably enlist a couple of friends to train and compete with me and they may even join running or triathlon clubs along the way.

If I am immediately drawn to competing in IM then the other events should ask why am I not immediately drawn to their races.

I want to take part and anyone that knows me knows that I am also interested in getting as many others into competing at any level possible but if the attitude of the 'other' races is reflected in the opinions here then theres not much incentive to look to those events is there?

And the jibe about the tattoo Kurt? Its not my thing and there are other threads covering this topic but so what if someone wants to recognise their achievement with a medal, plaque or a tattoo wherever they want. If they trained, competed and finished then they can do what they want.

There's a whole other discussion in there Killian.

Through clever marketing the IM brand is seen as the pinnacle of triathlon when it has as much to do with the spirit of triathlon as a game of bowling IMHO.

It's all about money and IM have no interest in you developing as an athlete other than getting you to part with your money as soon as possible. As you say couple of races under your belt (I've applauded you on this too) and you are reaching further.

I personally think that both Challenge Galway and IM 70.3 Dublin were publicity stunts by politicians. The fact that we are still discussing both events long after is an indication of the draw.

The point I'm making is that neither do anything for the development or growth of the sport as a whole domestically. The local, low key club events are the ones that matter even though they are overshadowed by the big brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think he means "I" as in the demographic he would represent. In the politest way possible a brand/label whore.

I wouldn't be opposed to a well organised IM event but I'd find it hard to believe that would be possible in Dublin and I don't think the draw for foreign entrants if it were in Meath or Roscommon.

Also the price is just incredible although I guess you save on going abroad expenses.

Personally I never thought this was going to happen so I grabbed a place in the Outlaw half. I think "You are an outlaw" (albeit a half one) sounds better than "You are an Iron Man" It's my first gimme a break ;)

Anyway as Tunney was saying I can't imagine a route in Dublin that would be enjoyable for all 3 disciplines there would have to be sacrifice somewhere. I'd still probably go to watch in though but I think I'd pass on an entry and maybe aim to do one abroad someplace warmer :) my 2c anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I understand your point AMK, and this thread is going off topic so I'll end my contributions here. The debate goes nowhere when posters resort to personal attacks.

I, like many others it seems, hope that IM gets off the ground and I look forward in competing in one either here or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    The tattoo shops of Dublin will be cursing their luck if this doesn't go ahead.

That and the increase of knobs that will be sporting IM branded jackets and bags in the shopping centers and training rooms post race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Similar reasons as to why people end up travelling for races like the RnR half - novelty, combine a fun weekend away with a race etc. Also there are plenty of people outside of Ireland who would like the idea of combining a race with a weekend back home, also the fact that with the weak euro there is a decent chance it would end up working out cheaper than IM70.3 Exmoor or Staffordshire.

Exactly, I'd say there would be a lot of clubs in the UK who would combine the race with a fun weekend.
    I was chatting to a guy who works in my company in Northern Ireland and his club in the North are targeting Dublin 70.3 for a big weekend away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

ray o wrote: »
    That and the increase of knobs that will be sporting IM branded jackets and bags in the shopping centers and training rooms post race.

Ergo, anyone who wears any IM branded stuff, is a knob?

What about people who wear Nike runners?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

To paraphrase a meme I saw today. I would rather wear gear that says IM than have an ass that says McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ah that comment is ridiculous - what do you want people to do, hurriedly stuff them in the bottom of their wardrobe to never see the light of day again

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Steroo wrote: »
    is there a link to Lost Sheep for 2015? can't find much online

Cork Tri Club, but then again its abit early

AKW wrote: »

I personally think that both Challenge Galway and IM 70.3 Dublin were publicity stunts by politicians. The fact that we are still discussing both events long after is an indication of the draw.

Nothing on the Challenge Site about Galway
    http://www.challenge-family.com/category/europe/

• Advertisement

Nothing on the Challenge Site about Galway
    http://www.challenge-family.com/category/europe/

Oh don't mind the official website, sure everyone knows boards is where you hear the news first!! ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90217462

Izoard wrote: »
    Ergo, anyone who wears any IM branded stuff, is a knob?

What about people who wear Nike runners?

Not exatcly. Thats why I crossed it out - There are some very valid reasons why someone would want to sport a new IM jacket as such as the ones I mention below.

Each to their own I suppose.
    Oryx wrote: »
    To paraphrase a meme I saw today. I would rather wear gear that says IM than have an ass that says McDonalds.

Of course there will always be something worse you could wear. Is this a race to the bottom? :pac:
    catweazle wrote: »
    Ah that comment is ridiculous - what do you want people to do, hurriedly stuff them in the bottom of their wardrobe to never see the light of day again

Well if you already had a perfectly good jacket(s) that you used before a race why would you rush that wear you new IM branded one? Only the individual can answer that truthfully. Maybe they could have done with some new clobber but blew their spare cash on an IM race entry and so the new jacket is a win win.

Personally I would leave it in the shed and only use it around the garden. And then I would have to ensure the side gate was locked so nobody could sneak up on me. Oh yeah and the neighbours curtains would have to be closed too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Well if you already had a perfectly good jacket(s) that you used before a race why would you rush that wear you new IM branded one? Only the individual can answer that truthfully.

Is there something in the air today?

EC1000 wrote: »

i think its o2

EC1000 wrote: »

Blame the water EC, all about the water these days!! :D

I now hear Irish Water is giving triathletes an extra 2,000Ltr Allowance.

Bang on. Paying for water now and the wife is banging on about Christmas already!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Bang on. Paying for water now and the wife is banging on about Christmas already!

i hope for her sake she's not buying you a jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

mossym wrote: »
    i hope for her sake she's not buying you a jacket.

...or an IM race entry

Think of the embarrassment - what would the neighbours think!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So is there a date yet for this race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 somebody.else

Damn it, I really really wanted this to happen so I could get a IM tatoo. And an IM bedspread.

Izoard wrote: »
    ...or an IM race entry

Think of the embarrassment - what would the neighbours think!:rolleyes:

Ah don't take it personally, it was all said tongue-in-cheek.

That said, does anyone want a 2013 HOTW jacket? Perfect condition, It was a fine summer so it got no use pottering around the garden. I won't give up my HOTW swim cap though.

Ah don't take it personally, it was all said tongue-in-cheek.

That said, does anyone want a 2013 HOTW jacket? Perfect condition, It was a fine summer so it got no use pottering around the garden. I won't give up my HOTW swim cap though.

The red ones? They're like hens teeth.

The red ones? They're like hens teeth.

Yep. Not a mark on it.If your interested we could do a swap for one of those Polar HR straps that work with the Garmin HR Monitor :D

Damn it, I really really wanted this to happen so I could get a IM tatoo. And an IM bedspread.

1-11-2011+6-39-54+AM.png

Yep. Not a mark on it.If your interested we could do a swap for one of those Polar HR straps that work with the Garmin HR Monitor :D

Not sure which is worse me swanning around in a jacket I didn't earn or you bastardising a Polar to work with a Garmin ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

mloc123 wrote: »
    So is there a date yet for this race?

The 12th...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The 12th...
    ...of never

• Registered Users Posts: 7 somebody.else

Is that before or after the 1st of IToldYouSo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Oryx wrote: »
    ...of never

....TBC :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement