Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I assume challenge Galway is a complete non-runner? Have heard zero on it

Only thing that happened there was a facebook page, other than that nothing.

Whole lot of political meandering both Galway and Dublin around the time of local elections.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I assume challenge Galway is a complete non-runner? Have heard zero on it

Challenge Galway isn't happening. The tickle of an idea was pulled when IM announced their Dublin race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

tunney wrote: »
    Have you considered where the swim will be? The bike? The run?
    Go out on the 27th of this month and get an idea of "local support".
    The road closures were never going to happen.

I'm a Dub. I like Dublin. I even like Wicklow. But I can think of many better places to run a half.

Really? Why obviously? I've not heard anyone say "I'd do it".

This isn't snobbery. I'd happily do halfs all over ireland, I just don't see the attaction of the venue, perhaps to non locals its attractive and I can see the draw to foreigners, at least the first time. But this are peoples regular stomping grounds. Who hasn't knocked their nuts out up Sally Gap in the snow and rain dreaming of races in different venues, in the heat. Not the same place in possibly slightly warmer conditions. People also want a race thats guaranteed to happen, with a guaranteed level of quality. This doesn't come from the brand name but from the organisers and local support.

I just think its odd that you can't fathom why someone ( yes based in Dublin) would be disappointed this isnt going ahead. Fair enough its not for you, but just strange you think everyone would be of the same thinking.

I would 100% do it. I also train in Dublin and the gap, but doing a Half IM at home would be very different IMO and a great buzz IMO. Yes the hype has a lot to do with that but so what. We all get sucked in to that.
    Also a lot easier on the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

miller82 wrote: »
    I just think its odd that you can't fathom why someone ( yes based in Dublin) would be disappointed this isnt going ahead. Fair enough its not for you, but just strange you think everyone would be of the same thinking.

I would 100% do it. I also train in Dublin and the gap, but doing a Half IM at home would be very different IMO and a great buzz IMO. Yes the hype has a lot to do with that but so what. We all get sucked in to that.

+1
    Having ticked the "away" box multiple times - I'm looking forward to a few home events next year.
    I think it would be great to have a high visibility race in the greater Dublin area - If it is not your thing, there are plenty of local races to keep you busy.

Either way, I think we are not open to this type of complex event handling. You look at how an entire region gets behind Challenge Roth, for example, versus the political gymnastics involved in liaising with multiple County Councils, across a relatively small geographic area.

Pity.

Challenge Galway isn't happening. The tickle of an idea was pulled when IM announced their Dublin race.

There was more hope of CG going ahead than Dublin 70.3 IMO.

The route and logistics was already established, the same organisers were on board with the same knowledge of local 'handshakers' and problem issues.

Far easier to get it up and running in a tighter timeline that as pointed out managing Dublin CC's. Sure look how long it has taken to get the Luas joined up!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I was hoping to do this. Never done a Tri before. So if it's not on I need something else to aim for... working on the swimming the past few months.

Can anyone recommend a well organised alternative next summer?

Or are the UK 70.3 Races hard to get to Logistically?

Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Steroo wrote: »
    I was hoping to do this. Never done a Tri before. So if it's not on I need something else to aim for... working on the swimming the past few months.

Can anyone recommend a well organised alternative next summer?

Or are the UK 70.3 Races hard to get to Logistically?

Thanks

Tri an Mhí
    Athy Double
    Lost Sheep

For branded events Wimbleball is a tricky area to get around, and a very hard course, but sail to fishguard/pembroke and its straight down the motorway. Staffs is sold out already. Loads of unbranded stuff over there too, but you might as well stay home and do one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Whatver your opinions on IM, the opportunity to have a race in Dublin with the razzmatazz that goes alongside it would only be good for the sport.

I don't understand the objections to them coming to Ireland but as an occasional triathlete and with many friends in the same position the bandwagon that runs alongside these events is a chance to introduce new entrants to triathlon and grow it from there. Those that see objections instead of opportunities are just holding the sort back.

I would love to do this, just because it is IM. R&R brought many people to running a half that would never have considered it in the past, my wife included. I have no doubt IM would do the same.

The purists can do the regional events alongside IM, you don't like it, then don't enter it. But don't knock it because it's a popular commercial event.

As I cross the finish line and smeone shouts 'Congraulations, You're a Challenge Athlete!' doesn't have the same ring to it....

Oryx wrote: »
    Tri an Mhí
    Athy Double
    Lost Sheep

Shadowman
    Hardman
    Lough Cutra
    Groomsport?
    Is Humbert back next year?
    Sounded like TI were trying to organise a long distance race?

Edit: Do they say ''You. Are. An. Ironman.'' at the end of a 70.3???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Edit: Do they say ''You. Are. An. Ironman.'' at the end of a 70.3???

Only if you're Keith Duffy ;)

• Advertisement

Whatver your opinions on IM, the opportunity to have a race in Dublin with the razzmatazz that goes alongside it would only be good for the sport.

I don't understand the objections to them coming to Ireland but as an occasional triathlete and with many friends in the same position the bandwagon that runs alongside these events is a chance to introduce new entrants to triathlon and grow it from there. Those that see objections instead of opportunities are just holding the sort back.

To be honest there's nobody objecting to the event. It's simply being realistic. Ireland will not support another Ironman event.

The logistics of organising one of these in any location within the Dublin district will be prohibitive. Both in trying to get the multipe councils on board and expensive dealing with different district councils, Garda etc. never mind road closures.

With a high population locality comes a high % of support AND a high % of objections. This IMO is one of the reasons for the relative success of the 'smaller' events in Kenmare, Swinford, Athlone, Groomsport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Oryx wrote: »
    Tri an Mhí
    Athy Double
    Lost Sheep

For branded events Wimbleball is a tricky area to get around, and a very hard course, but sail to fishguard/pembroke and its straight down the motorway. Staffs is sold out already. Loads of unbranded stuff over there too, but you might as well stay home and do one here.

Please do not speak Athy double in the same breath as Lost Sheep :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Please do not speak Athy double in the same breath as Lost Sheep :)
    Apologies. I wasnt thinking. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Why would it be good for the sport?

There is no objections to Challenge/WTC in Ireland. They were welcomed to Galway, fell flat on their faces through fault of their own. Dublin, those a little more experienced reckoned it would never happen due to the logistical nightmare of three county councils having to sign off on it.

"Introduce new entrants to triathlon and grow it from there".
    The bandwagon types and the "bucket list" types are not ones that grow the sport. Oh they make money for race organisers but don't grow the sport.
    I would love to do this, just because it is IM. R&R brought many people to running a half that would never have considered it in the past, my wife included. I have no doubt IM would do the same.

There is completing an event and adopting a lifestyle.
    The purists can do the regional events alongside IM, you don't like it, then don't enter it. But don't knock it because it's a popular commercial event.

I have no problem with WTC and Challege. Lord knows I have done enough of their events - halfs and fulls. I like challenege and WTC.
    As I cross the finish line and smeone shouts 'Congraulations, You're a Challenge Athlete!' doesn't have the same ring to it....

MOD SNIP

AKW wrote: »
    To be honest there's nobody objecting to the event. It's simply being realistic. Ireland will not support another Ironman event.

The logistics of organising one of these in any location within the Dublin district will be prohibitive. Both in trying to get the multipe councils on board and expensive dealing with different district councils, Garda etc. never mind road closures.

With a high population locality comes a high % of support AND a high % of objections. This IMO is one of the reasons for the relative success of the 'smaller' events in Kenmare, Swinford, Athlone, Groomsport etc.

The logistics are the responsibility of IM and if that pushes up the entry fee then that's the opportunity for the other locations to shout about their events. I just think it's a chance to grow rather than IM cannibalising other races.

If the other events are concerned about IM then they need to look at what concerned them and either replicate it or use the difference as a selling point.

Has R&R taken entrants from other halfs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

MOD SNIP

bang out of order

MOD SNIP

A bandwagon is an ideal way to grow a sport, but resorting to belittling other posters in a debate brings nothing to the table. Thanks for your observations though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

A bandwagon is an ideal way to grow a sport

You willingly want to jump on a bandwagon, would discount Challenge as you won't be called an IM at the end, and reckon existing club races should now use IM as their reference point...

The tattoo shops of Dublin will be cursing their luck if this doesn't go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Has R&R taken entrants from other halfs?

Numbers in the Dublin race series half dropped by about 900 between 2012 and 2013

The logistics are the responsibility of IM

No they are the reponsibility of the local event organiser. (or at least were for Galway 70.3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

miller82 wrote: »

I have raced plenty of Ironmans around Europe and plenty of olympics/halfs around Ireland and I was really looking forward to this. A lot of my friends (who have a wide range of tri experience) were up for it as well. Definitely is a shame if it does not go ahead but I would not want to see it take place on a make shift course. Do it right or not at all.

A lot of the same people who have been knocking the idea of this race were also the ones who said Galway half IM would never happen. Its a strange mentality to have imo

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

If this does go ahead are we looking at the best part of 220 - 275 Euro ?

I realy do hope Ironman inc. hold onto there word of giving us an Ironman in 2016 if 70.3 goes to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

If this does go ahead are we looking at the best part of 220 - 275 Euro ?

Yes - that is the one guarantee with IM...world class pricing.

I see Kona 2015 is up to $850..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Izoard wrote: »
    Yes - that is the one guarantee with IM...world class pricing.

I see Kona 2015 is up to $850..:eek:

if that is the case and its running the same month as the Lost Sheep, i think i would stick to the Lost Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

is there a link to Lost Sheep for 2015? can't find much online

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You willingly want to jump on a bandwagon, would discount Challenge as you won't be called an IM at the end, and reckon existing club races should now use IM as their reference point...

The tattoo shops of Dublin will be cursing their luck if this doesn't go ahead.

No, I never discounted Challenge, I just said that for a newcomer, novice or whatever tag I should have, I like and would prefer the atmosphere that goes alongside IM.

I am one demographic that events outside of IM should be targeting. I'm a relative newcomer to the sport, Ive progressed from 5k to doing 2 olympic triathlons in a fairly short space of time and I'm looking to move on again. I may not be very good / fast / technical at what I do but I still finished and want to go again. I'll probably enlist a couple of friends to train and compete with me and they may even join running or triathlon clubs along the way.

If I am immediately drawn to competing in IM then the other events should ask why am I not immediately drawn to their races.

I want to take part and anyone that knows me knows that I am also interested in getting as many others into competing at any level possible but if the attitude of the 'other' races is reflected in the opinions here then theres not much incentive to look to those events is there?

And the jibe about the tattoo Kurt? Its not my thing and there are other threads covering this topic but so what if someone wants to recognise their achievement with a medal, plaque or a tattoo wherever they want. If they trained, competed and finished then they can do what they want.

If I am immediately drawn to competing in IM then the other events should ask why am I not immediately drawn to their races.

They're not really concerned about that since they all sell out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I would have loved to attempt it in dublin. Cant afford to be travelling abroad spending thousands and avoid the hassle that goes with it. Much nicer not having to travel (even within ireland as the cost piles up with accommodation here too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The levels of solipsism here are beyond my debating skills:)

Best of luck with your IronMan, hope you enjoy it!

• Advertisement

They're not really concerned about that since they all sell out!

Well thats why then!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement