Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Would it work out cheaper to join the Gym in the ALSAA for a year instead of paying as you go?

yeah it might actually but it's still expensive. I've asked them nicely if they could do me a deal as I just want to use track so waiting for them to come back to me on that. They're taking their time...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

gerard_65 wrote: »
    The only other track open to the public in Dublin is Irishtown and use to be a fiver in, too far for you?. I don't think Santry is open to the public and the others in Dublin I know are privately owned by clubs - Tallaght and Donore.

Point of information: Irishtown track is closed for repairs until October and I imagine like a lot of building projects, it will probably take a while longer. It needed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

Santry Stadium is available for one-off use - it costs €8 per session (including access to the gym, showers, etc.) or €65 for 10 sessions. Times available that don't clash with club bookings. See http://www.mortonstadium.ie/times-prices/4540763030
    €8 a session is a bit steep if you are just using the track.
    I believe you can join the gym and have all year round track access at non-club time for €350 a year (I know someone that does this). You would want to be using the gym to justify this price.
    I know from other posts that you have some issues with Clonliffe runners crowding the footpaths but would you not just work on the principle of "if you can't beat them join them". Track access every Tuesday and Thursday evening and Sunday morning? All for €150 per year. Definitely your best bet.

oldrunner wrote: »
    Santry Stadium is available for one-off use - it costs €8 per session (including access to the gym, showers, etc.) or €65 for 10 sessions. Times available that don't clash with club bookings. See http://www.mortonstadium.ie/times-prices/4540763030
    €8 a session is a bit steep if you are just using the track.
    I believe you can join the gym and have all year round track access at non-club time for €350 a year (I know someone that does this). You would want to be using the gym to justify this price.
    I know from other posts that you have some issues with Clonliffe runners crowding the footpaths but would you not just work on the principle of "if you can't beat them join them". Track access every Tuesday and Thursday evening and Sunday morning? All for €150 per year. Definitely your best bet.
    Thanks for the info! Last time I asked I was told that due to insurance issues it wasn't available to non members. Glad to see that's changed.
    Your other point has been duly noted ;) sounds like a good deal alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Following the P&D 12 week plan.

Missed all of last week's schedule due to holidays bar odd easy run.

This week is a recovery week.

Should I do last week's schedule, this week?

Given last week was essentially a recovery week for me, I figure it might be more beneficial to do last week's schedule and thereby not really miss any of the key work outs, including 17 mile lsr.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Itziger wrote: »
    You Jamaican?

Kenyan :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Should I do last week's schedule, this week?
    Sounds like a sensible approach. If doing the 12 week plan though, it's no idea to miss sessions. Probably best to start a week early, if you know you're going to take a week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

menoscemo wrote: »
    So the glycogen stores in the liver are lowered during sleep but not the muscles?
    I've definitely read that somewhere. Glycogen can't be moved from muscle A to muscle B, or from any muscle to the liver. Once it's stored in the muscles it has to be used there, which is why eating the night before an early run works so well.

Glycogen in the liver is used to supply the brain, which might well be a bit depleted in the mornings, and affect your mood (and desire to have breakfast). But, it shouldn't stop you from training imho because the energy should be there in your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    Moving swiftly on.....;-)

Anyone know of a track in Dublin (Northside) that one can use for a few hours now and again that's good value? (not the free cinder track in Kilbarrack, I just wouldn't feel that safe there on winter nights).
    ALSAA is 10 euro for as long as you like but it is ridiculously expensive!

I know you said Dublin.....but just to make sure you're aware, you can use the track at The Watershed in Kilkenny for less than a fiver and you can get access to it for a whole week for less than a tenner

Whenever you're around!

You probably knew!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I know you said Dublin.....but just to make sure you're aware, you can use the track at The Watershed in Kilkenny for less than a fiver and you can get access to it for a whole week for less than a tenner

Whenever you're around!

You probably knew!

Never knew that! Never been up that way to be honest. Good to know! I'd only ever be back in the auld sod every few months but still good to know for around xmas etc!

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Never knew that! Never been up that way to be honest. Good to know! I'd only ever be back in the auld sod every few months but still good to know for around xmas etc!

Give them a buzz before you go there to make sure the track is available for you. They sometimes have annoying stuff going on there and I dunno whether casual users are allowed use it while Kilkenny City Harriers AC are training there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Whenever you're around!

You probably knew!

Wow I never knew that, ran past that place a good few times, never thought there was a track there

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Does anyone know what splits pacers would use for a half marathon? Say the 2 hour pacers for ease.... would they look at having 6.5 miles done in the 1st hour and same again for the second or would it be more like 7 miles in 1st and 6 in 2nd? On my LSR I would always be 3-5% slower for 2nd half and looking to see if I need to adjust my training.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Does anyone know what splits pacers would use for a half marathon? Say the 2 hour pacers for ease.... would they look at having 6.5 miles done in the 1st hour and same again for the second or would it be more like 7 miles in 1st and 6 in 2nd? On my LSR I would always be 3-5% slower for 2nd half and looking to see if I need to adjust my training.

dead even, unless the course profile is very unusual
    maybe try running 3-5% slower in the first half of your LSRs, and either maintain that pace or speed up in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Thanks

In general, pacers always aim to run even pace all the way through.

In exceptional cases like the Dingle full marathon where there is a massive hill 5 miles before the end, they might bank a minute or 2, but that is very much the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

In general, pacers always aim to run even pace all the way through.

In exceptional cases like the Dingle full marathon where there is a massive hill 5 miles before the end, they might bank a minute or 2, but that is very much the exception.

Or in cases where Ecoli is pacing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Or in cases where Ecoli is pacing!

Seem to recall GLR was mission accomplished

Don't worry one of these days you will be able to step up to the big boys table of pacing and the jealousy will finally cease ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thanks

For Dublin HM I've always banked a little time from 10 - 12 which is net downhill which means you can ease off a little on hill coming back into the park.
    Worth noting also that pacers will plan to run under the time (about 20 - 30 secs for the half) rather than on the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

you can use the track at The Watershed in Kilkenny for less than a fiver and you can get access to it for a whole week for less than a tenner

Whenever you're around!

I'm often in Kilkenny at weekends and like to make use of that track, it's a fantastic resource. Nice pool there too, great setup in general.

Possibly stupid random question, but I've often wondered. Are all the wheelchair participants in races actually disabled?

Like. Is there a rule that they have to be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Possibly stupid random question, but I've often wondered. Are all the wheelchair participants in races actually disabled?

Like. Is there a rule that they have to be?

Funny you should ask that as Sisters Pearse actually tried that stunt in a race here in Ireland. They picked a race with no other wheelchair competitors. No one from their club had ever won anything before so they wanted to see what it felt like to actually win a race

Suffice to say the suspect Sister was outed on the startline by an astute TAC member- it was just one of many embarrassments to the Knockloyn Hobbyjoggers that year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Funny you should ask that as Sisters Pearse actually tried that stunt in a race here in Ireland. They picked a race with no other wheelchair competitors. No one from their club had ever won anything before so they wanted to see what it felt like to actually win a race

Suffice to say the suspect Sister was outed on the startline by an astute TAC member- it was just one of many embarrassments to the Knockloyn Hobbyjoggers that year ;)
    Careful now. Remember what happened last time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It was Ray wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I did that wheelchair basketball in college once, could not imagine pushing a chair for 26.2 miles :eek:

(I think quirky is misremembering a race where the start had to be delayed because some Tallaght members nicked the wheels from the chairs and went for a joyride in the lead car...)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,171 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have a race on Sunday. Just wondering if anyone who has raced chooses to listen to music? I am thinking I will wear an ipod. Maybe it will help me zone out and just focus on running a bit better and faster. Give me a bit of a pick up. I already know the route well. That is for me great. Knowing where it ends, the K markers......All psychological advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

walshb wrote: »
    I have a race on Sunday. Just wondering if anyone who has raced chooses to listen to music? I am thinking I will wear an ipod. Maybe it will help me zone out and just focus on running a bit better and faster. Give me a bit of a pick up. I already know the route well. That is for me great. Knowing where it ends, the K markers......All psychological advantages.

Bored much on a Monday morning??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The great debate. The great troll? Firstly, make sure that mp3 players are allowed within the race as they are banned from many races. Secondly, if you must use one (and if it is allowed), make sure it is at a sufficiently low volume that you can hear any instructions from marshals / volunteers / medical personal, vehicles, other runners. Finally, why do you want to zone out in a race? The goal should be to 'zone in'. You don't need unnecessary distractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Saw an ambulance needlessly held up at the Tullamore HM due to people wearing earphones. Some just felt they were too important to move but that's a different story. Listening to music is not allowed in the vast majority of races, but people flaunt this rule all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Originally Posted by walshb
    Only raced a few times but I would imagine that having music running through my ears when racing would affect my concentration. Total silence would be ideal. Being completely in the zone. Now, training is a different thing. I always have music when running for fitness/leisure

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91076898&postcount=19

dont feed the trolls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Saw an ambulance needlessly held up at the Tullamore HM due to people wearing earphones. Some just felt they were too important to move but that's a different story. Listening to music is not allowed in the vast majority of races, but people flaunt this rule all the time.

I remember at the start of the Jingle Bells last year, a young guy wearing headphones ran diagonally through the throng, fell heavily, and was roundly abused for his trouble. No-one stopped to help him. OTOH, at the start of the Terenure 5 I took my eye off the road at the start, failed to spot a speed bump and ended up on my back desperately hoping I wasn't going to trip anyone else up. Several people kindly asked if I was alright as I leaped to my feet.

The difference? I had the kind of pratfall that happens to everyone; the other guy tried a stupid maneouvre at the wrong time, and I know his headphones had something to do it; that feeling of disconnectedness you get when you can't hear what's going on around you. In my book, they're a no-no, no matter what, but as has been said, some will wear them no matter how often they're asked not to.

Advertisement