Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,171 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I better check with the race organizers to see if music is allowed then.

dna_leri wrote: »

Not with you on this.

It's just a question to fellow runners. Did they find music a help or a hindrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

walshb wrote: »
    Not with you on this.

It's just a question to fellow runners. Did they find music a help or a hindrance?

Helps for hard intervals or tempo sessions but a hindrance for any easy running, where I much prefer listening to podcasts.

I would never wear earphones in a race, never have, never will. I was nearly flattened by a muppet at Athlone last year who just veered windly across the road for no reason and nearly put me in the ditch. He was so "zoned out" he couldn't even hear me calling him a pr1ck.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Helps for hard intervals or tempo sessions but a hindrance for any easy running, where I much prefer listening to podcasts.

I would never wear earphones in a race, never have, never will. I was nearly flattened by a muppet at Athlone last year who just veered windly across the road for no reason and nearly put me in the ditch. He was so "zoned out" he couldn't even hear me calling him a pr1ck.

I have asked the race organizers what the rule is. I just wanted to find out if anyone had tried it in a race environment, and if so, did they find it helped them? I certainly wouldn't want to impede other runners. I'm fairly balanced. I don't envisage myself clattering into something or someone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I have asked the race organizers what the rule is. I just wanted to find out if anyone had tried it in a race environment, and if so, did they find it helped them? I certainly wouldn't want to impede other runners. I'm fairly balanced. I don't envisage myself clattering into something or someone:)

I haven't worn them in a race in years, but I did when I started. (It probably was dangerous, but I didn't think of that at the time and they weren't forbidden in the few small races I wore them in). I liked them in my first two 10ks when I was just jogging along and just wanted to finish. I remember really enjoying music in the burren 10k back in 2011. Later that year I wore them in a race in Leitrim where I wanted to try to run a bit faster. I went out too fast, it was a hot day, I got a stitch, and the headphones, the wires and the music not fitting my mood just seemed to make everything worse. I haven't worn them in a race since. I dont think I could race while listening to music. I do love music for long runs or just enjoyable runs though - sometimes I look forward to running to a particular song / album. Each to their own, I suppose (where safety and rules allow).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I have a straight forward personal preference on the whole music/racing question. When I'm racing I concentrate on racing, anything else is a distraction. I rarely even wear them training. Maybe to listen to a match on the radio if I'm missing it because I'm out training.

Race day for me is all about taking the buzz of race day in, soaking up that atmosphere and using all of that to help up my performance.No other tune is going to help me better than the tune of footfall around me, my own and other runner's exertions and the sound of that race announcer/commentator as we get closer to that finish line.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I normally wear headphones when out for an easy run. Having lost my running mp3 when on holiday, I've now being run without music for the past 2-3 weeks. What I have noticed is the amount of kids (and adults) that shour 'Run, Forest, Run' at you as you go by. Its basically a once every run scenario.

Is this a particular trait of the area I run, because I look strikingly like a young Tom Hanks or does everybody get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

I normally wear headphones when out for an easy run. Having lost my running mp3 when on holiday, I've now being run without music for the past 2-3 weeks. What I have noticed is the amount of kids (and adults) that shour 'Run, Forest, Run' at you as you go by. Its basically a once every run scenario.

Is this a particular trait of the area I run, because I look strikingly like a young Tom Hanks or does everybody get this?
    I think everyone gets this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's pretty common (though your resemblance to a desert-island Tom Hanks is indeed striking). Best thing to do is to curl both hands into fists, extend the middle finger to full extension, raise the middle finger and um.. insert into ears.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

everyone gets it at some point, thought I've not heard it for about 2 years now but then I don't do alot of my running in built up area's anymore,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it must be because you're on the Northside. Over here on the southside the urchins play chariots of fire on their suburb-blasters while we run past in slow motion.

Race organizers confirmed that MP3 players are allowed. Great. Might try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

A light sports massage today/tomorrow evening when Im doing a Half Marathon on Saturday.......good idea or bad idea?

(I think Ive just shaken a niggle in one of my legs, but wouldnt mind getting it massaged out to be a bit more sure!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Great stuff. Make sure you report back w/ at least 5000 words describing the experience. Who knows, you may revolutionise the way we all look at running. Thank you in advance Walshb for your highly important research. Poster of the year anyone?

rob w wrote: »
    A light sports massage today/tomorrow evening when Im doing a Half Marathon on Saturday.......good idea or bad idea?

(I think Ive just shaken a niggle in one of my legs, but wouldnt mind getting it massaged out to be a bit more sure!)

absolutely fine. Just get it done today/ tomorrow- I wouldn't leave it til Thurs or Fri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Have you had one before?

I would say it's a good idea (though I am probably biased) but if you are in any way concerned let the therapist know you have a race this weekend and they may opt for a more superficial treatment (still has it's benefits)

Depending on the person, their diet, sleep patterns etc the full benefits can be felt roughly between 24-72 hours of a deep tissue massage however may feel a little tender initially depending on the pressure applied and techniques used (depending on condition of muscle tissues)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

ecoli wrote: »
    Have you had one before?

I would say it's a good idea (though I am probably biased) but if you are in any way concerned let the therapist know you have a race this weekend and they may opt for a more superficial treatment (still has it's benefits)

Depending on the person, their diet, sleep patterns etc the full benefits can be felt roughly between 24-72 hours of a deep tissue massage however may feel a little tender initially depending on the pressure applied and techniques used (depending on condition of muscle tissues)

Thanks,

I was actually going to PM you about some contact details for guys you recommended the other day over on the novices thread! Maybe you could send on the details of the guy you know in the Raheny area, if you could?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks,

I was actually going to PM you about some contact details for guys you recommended the other day over on the novices thread! Maybe you could send on the details of the guy you know in the Raheny area, if you could?

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Great stuff. Make sure you report back w/ at least 5000 words describing the experience. Who knows, you may revolutionise the way we all look at running. Thank you in advance Walshb for your highly important research. Poster of the year anyone?

Clash of the troll's :D

I just need one final piece. Any suggestions for my 20-25 min playlist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

The Rocky song
    http://youtu.be/ZvEnIkz82A0

But be carefull it's 2mins 33seconds, don't peak too early,

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Is the Gerry Farnham cross country race on this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is the Gerry Farnham cross country race on this year?

Yes, see the cross country thread in the events forum

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

In terms of course profile Which 5k and maraton courses are the fastest in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Not sure about marathon, but they ran a 5k in Shannon airport this year, dead flat 3 bends, perfect! It was a bit short tho! So wasn't really perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Finnt wrote: »
    Not sure about marathon, but they ran a 5k in Shannon airport this year, dead flat 3 bends, perfect! It was a bit short tho! So wasn't really perfect!

probably fast though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

One more random question.

On Sunday, I’m due to run 15 miles with 12 miles at marathon pace.

However, the Dublin half marathon is 6 days later. Is that too much in 6 days?

I am thinking of swapping this Sunday’s session with the following week, which is 20 miles.

Then do the 12 miles at MP in the half marathon?

Make sense or am I losing the benefit of doing the 12 miles at MP at this stage in the programme?

In terms of course profile Which 5k and maraton courses are the fastest in ireland?

for 5k, you could run a track 5k - perfectly flat, bouncy surface, easy as pie :)
    Rathfarnham 5k is a fast course. The net downhill bit is exagerrated I think, because runners line up on a hill down to the start line. So there's some downhill between where you start and where the race starts which shouldn't be included. But it is still net downhill, on good roads, only one small uphill section, only three bends, and well organised.
    Jingle Bells 5k is also fast. No real uphill section, just a drag, long downhill to the finish, only two bends, good roads (all closed I think?), more of a net downhill, also very well organised.

Bob Heffernan 5k in Enfield and MSB St. Patricks Day one come to mind as pretty damn quick!

• Advertisement

Bob Heffernan 5k in Enfield and MSB St. Patricks Day one come to mind as pretty damn quick!

this year's MSB one certainly was!;)
    Flat course all right, but a lot of corners

Advertisement