Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The finish line at least must be marked? 800m is two laps, starting at the finish line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Also, it's illegal to wear a Garmin on a track, so leave it at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

pconn062 wrote: »

First time I heard that. Not much use admittedly, but illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Maybe in a race, but not in training, but as already said not very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

It's an 800m TT so if I hit my target how can I prove I did it if I don't have a Garmin link?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just looked at one side of the track and didn't see start/finish lines but they must've been on the other side. The lanes themselves were very clearly marked so there must be a proper start line. The track was closed when I looked so I could only see one side which wasn't marked (but obviously only one side would have a start/finish line:o).

Will take all that was said on board. Cheers.

• Advertisement

RoyMcC wrote: »
    First time I heard that. Not much use admittedly, but illegal?
    gerard_65 wrote: »
    Maybe in a race, but not in training, but as already said not very useful.

Nah, it's not illegal, just frowned upon. ;) I remember my first track race a few years ago and all the guys were standing around with either no watch or a retro Casio watch and I was there with my Garmin for a 1500m race and felt like a twat. Haven't worn one since! It's not necessary anyway and it's much more accurate to just work out your per lap pace and check it at every 100m or 200m.

Ososlo wrote: »
    It's an 800m TT so if I hit my target how can I prove I did it if I don't have a Garmin link?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just looked at one side of the track and didn't see start/finish lines but they must've been on the other side. The lanes themselves were very clearly marked so there must be a proper start line. The track was closed when I looked so I could only see one side which wasn't marked (but obviously only one side would have a start/finish line:o).

Will take all that was said on board about. Cheers.

Not sure if you're serious with this, maybe my sarcasm detector is broke?! A garmin is not going to measure 800m accurately on a track anyway and you seem like an honest person so we can take your word for it!

Not sure if you're serious with this, maybe my sarcasm detector is broke?! A garmin is not going to measure 800m accurately on a track anyway and you seem like an honest person so we can take your word for it!

Serious yes! It's an attempt at the 10 round numbers thing so I presumed I'd be required to post up my evidence of time (I think people normally do?).
    I'd be using the garmin check my 200m splits (time not pace) and as a stopwatch and to have evidence of time. Didn't realise it would be inaccurate:o told you I was clueless!
    thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Serious yes! It's an attempt at the 10 round numbers thing so I presumed I'd be required to post up my evidence of time (I think people normally do?).
    I'd be using the garmin check my 200m splits (time not pace) and as a stopwatch and to have evidence of time. Didn't realise it would be inaccurate:o told you I was clueless!
    thanks!
    400m laps are too tight for the GPS to measure accurately. When you look at the map after you'll think you were running drunkenly all over the track, even outside it.:pac:

gerard_65 wrote: »
    400m laps are too tight for the GPS to measure accurately. When you look at the map after you'll think you were running drunkenly all over the track, even outside it.:pac:

ok, I'm learning:o
    I'll give it a lash and use the watch as a stopwatch. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

thanks!

I was going to suggest entering a race but I doubt there are any out there open to non-club members(I could very well be wrong here)....maybe join a club:)

I was going to suggest entering a race but I doubt there are any out there open to non-club members(I could very well be wrong here)....maybe join a club:)

naw I checked barry, there aren't any open:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I'd just go to Kilbarrack and use the cinder track there. You'll have to go old school and make a start/finish line by dragging your foot heavily through the gravel but its quiet and you'll be able to run in lane 1. Proper tracks can be a bit hit and miss. I don't think I've ever went to one on my own, where there wasn't a group of kids running on it. Nothing against the kids of course but the little buggers just don't understand track etiquette. Come on like :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

Remember, only lane 1's 800m will start at the start/finish line. If you are in an outer lane, you need to start at the appropriate start point for that lane

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dunno why someone would go to the trouble of buying a Garmin then leaving it at home when running on the track, when it does a perfectly good job of recording your track splits and documenting them for all eternity. If you're worried about how cool you look, maybe start with the spandex and fluorescent track spikes. ;)

Dunno why someone would go to the trouble of buying a Garmin then leaving it at home when running on the track, when it does a perfectly good job of recording your track splits and documenting them for all eternity. If you're worried about how cool you look, maybe start with the spandex and fluorescent track spikes. ;)

My Garmin (a 210 I believe) has a delay when the start button is pressed so consequently when I press start, the watch takes about 3-4 seconds to react meaning my time is not accurate, 3-4 seconds is a lot over 800m and 1500m. Despite much searching online I cannot find a solution for this so with regards to accurately recording time, the Garmin is useless and has been abandoned. I have the same issue with road races where my Garmin would only start 3-4 seconds after I pushed the start button meaning the time was never accurate. It has nothing to do with being cool I assure you.

My Garmin (a 210 I believe) has a delay when the start button is pressed so consequently when I press start, the watch takes about 3-4 seconds to react meaning my time is not accurate, 3-4 seconds is a lot over 800m and 1500m. Despite much searching online I cannot find a solution for this so with regards to accurately recording time, the Garmin is useless and has been abandoned. I have the same issue with road races where my Garmin would only start 3-4 seconds after I pushed the start button meaning the time was never accurate. It has nothing to do with being cool I assure you.
    Turn off the GPS.

Turn off the GPS.

Unfortunately I have tried that but the issue remains, the delay is just reduced to 2-3 seconds. I believe it is an issue with the 210 model, the main issue seems to be when the memory is full but even after clearing the watch and doing a full reset the issue remains. I knew I shouldn't have skimped at the time and should have splashed out on the 610 but it was over €300 which was too much to justify for a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Whatever you do, try to avoid this newly constructed running track.

Right-angle-604x345.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I use my Garmin for my intervals around the track in Trinity. I find it handy to keep a relative idea of pace, and it stores my work out. It is fairly accurate (give or take a couple of metres), to the length of the track, and the drawings on garmin connect are nice and oblong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Is stopping on a long run, say into a shop for some water, going to adversely effect the quality of that run much. Have a 20 planned for tomorrow and I'd rather do one big loop than laps.

Is stopping on a long run, say into a shop for some water, going to adversely effect the quality of that run much. Have a 20 planned for tomorrow and I'd rather do one big loop than laps.
    Just jog on the spot while queuing at the counter and you'll be grand. :) But more seriously, try to minimize the break and have your drink on the run and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Would a club like UL athletics club accept non student members? If not what options are there club wise in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Would a club like UL athletics club accept non student members? If not what options are there club wise in Limerick?

Not sure about the UL question, looked into clubs a while back but didn't do anything about it yet. There's emerald AC who seem to cater more for track and juveniles. Dooneen AC seemed like the best match at that time, with a good range of abilities, and a good spread of times in race results. They are on Facebook if you wanted to have a look. They also most of their training in the dooradoyle/ raheen area I think.

Cheers John. Did a bit of research and it seems Limerick AC are actually based out of UL which would be a lot handier for me. Dooneen would be a bit of a trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Cheers John. Did a bit of research and it seems Limerick AC are actually based out of UL which would be a lot handier for me. Dooneen would be a bit of a trek.

Hey Sean I'm a member of Limerick AC. Our group, the middle distance and long distance, train in UL every Saturday at 10.30 am and Thursday at 7 pm.

We train at North Circular Road every Tuesday at 6:30 pm.

I'm based in UL so I usually train in Castletroy for most days.

What distances do you normally race?

Cheers

Ray

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hey Sean I'm a member of Limerick AC. Our group, the middle distance and long distance, train in UL every Saturday at 10.30 am and Thursday at 7 pm.

We train at North Circular Road every Tuesday at 6:30 pm.

I'm based in UL so I usually train in Castletroy for most days.

What distances do you normally race?

Cheers

Ray

Hey YFlyer, I'm ramping up for the DCM at the moment but afterwards probably concentrating on 10K distance for Christmas. Had a look at the site but didn't see training details for senior men. Anyone else in the club aiming for a 4ish hour marathon? Any open days coming up, or do I just turn up? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hey YFlyer, I'm ramping up for the DCM at the moment but afterwards probably concentrating on 10K distance for Christmas. Had a look at the site but didn't see training details for senior men. Anyone else in the club aiming for a 4ish hour marathon? Any open days coming up, or do I just turn up? Thanks.

Hey Sean I think most athletes in the club that be racing in the marathon be going for sub 3hours.

There is Derek Mackessy that works in UL Arena. He coaches runners in the 3.30 plus marathon range and the 'fit for life.' I can find out his details for you.

There is no open days that i know of. Basically just turn up on the day for training and see from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hey Sean I think most athletes in the club that be racing in the marathon be going for sub 3hours.

There is Derek Mackessy that works in UL Arena. He coaches runners in the 3.30 plus marathon range and the 'fit for life.' I can find out his details for you.

There is no open days that i know of. Basically just turn up on the day for training and see from then.

You Jamaican?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

What would ye recommend as an alternative to gels for a marathon. Anyone here run a sub 3 marathon without gels etc?

Advertisement