Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

paddybarry wrote: »
    What would ye recommend as an alternative to gels for a marathon. Anyone here run a sub 3 marathon without gels etc?

Yes, I've run a 2:56 marathon on just water.

Gels can give you a lift, but if you're fit enough for the distance (applies to any distance) then you can perfectly do without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Yes, I've run a 2:56 marathon on just water.

Gels can give you a lift, but if you're fit enough for the distance (applies to any distance) then you can perfectly do without.

Not true. Find me one elite marathoner who now runs w/out special drinks to top up glycogen levels - by elite I mean sub 2:09 so this would exclude every ultra runner in history..

I hate gels but if you are gonna race at your limit you're best off taking them.

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Not true. Find me one elite marathoner who now runs w/out special drinks to top up glycogen levels - by elite I mean sub 2:09 so this would exclude every ultra runner in history..

I hate gels but if you are gonna race at your limit you're best off taking them.

Incidentally- I'd have no problem running a 2:56 w just water. If I wanted to run 2:45 though I'd sure as shoot have a gel strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Incidentally- I'd have no problem running a 2:56 w just water. If I wanted to run 2:45 though I'd sure as shoot have a gel strategy
    Exactly. Thomas your example is not a relevant one, as you were likely not running to your limits. Would this also have been true of when you broke 3 hours for the marathon the first time? Remember these words? :p
    I had taken a gel at 10k and 15k, and each time it had given me a little bit of a lift. It may have been entirely psychological, but that does not matter. Unfortunately that lift never lasted more than a couple of minutes and was always followed by another low. I took another gel at this point and used the boost to hang on......

I'm not saying that gels are necessary, just that what's required when running a marathon at easy pace is not relevant to what may be required to run a marathon at optimal pace.

What would ye recommend as an alternative to gels for a marathon. Anyone here run a sub 3 marathon without gels etc?
    If you look at the composition of a gel, it's basically a liquid form of carbohydrate (sugar); some complex, but largely simple sugars, plus some added electrolytes, and occasionally some caffeine. If you want to find a substitute, aim for something with a similar composition. Jelly beans are often used as an alternative as they are similar in composition, but obviously there's the added need to break them down (chew), so you will likely need to take them with water. There are variants with added electrolytes and even caffeine. I don't really take them myself, but am partial to watermelon flavour. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

You can disagree with someone without adding an unnecessary dig. It's irrelevant to your point.

Sacksian wrote: »
    You can disagree with someone without adding an unnecessary dig. It's irrelevant to your point.
    I don't think he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

How many gels did John Tracey take when he set the Irish marathon record?

A quick google suggests gels were first manufactured and marketed in 1986. So for a list of elites who DEFINITELY didn't take gels choose any elite marather who ran before 1986. It's likely to be a very very long list.

It's also trite. It's about as relevant as pointing out that Usain Bolt hasn't run a 2:09 marathon.

Exactly. Thomas your example is not a relevant one, as you were likely not running to your limits. Would this also have been true of when you broke 3 hours for the marathon the first time? Remember these words? :p

I'm not saying that gels are necessary, just that what's required when running a marathon at easy pace is not relevant to what may be required to run a marathon at optimal pace.

My PB is 2:55, so a 2:56 marathon wasn't exactly hanging around.

The question I answered was if anyone here had run a sub-3 marathon without gels.

If there had been gels or sports drink available at the water stations that day I would have taken them - I wasn't trying to make a point or anything, but they only had water, and as it turned out I didn't need anything else. I don't think I would have run any faster with gels.

• Advertisement

Remember these words? :p
    I had taken a gel at 10k and 15k, and each time it had given me a little bit of a lift. It may have been entirely psychological, but that does not matter. Unfortunately that lift never lasted more than a couple of minutes and was always followed by another low. I took another gel at this point and used the boost to hang on......

I'm unlikely to ever forget that run or what I wrote afterwards :) But note the section in bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Here, this should help.

Interesting to note the difference b/ween Geb's 2:06:35 when he just took on water and his 2:03:59 when he took on 60g's of CHO/hr.

Also, remember pace is important too. If you go out too fast, even by a couple of seconds per mile, no amount of gels will save you. If you want to learn how to run a marathon properly, look at the winner of the 2013 Tralee Marathon (P.M.)- I'd say he's Ireland's best marathon runner (in terms of knowing how to run a marathon rather than fastest); he seems to negative split his races. His run in the Tralee marathon was unbelievable to watch.

I can emphasise too!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is there any point in taking a gel during a half Marathon other than to get used to taking them in a race situation?

My understanding was that gels provide energy to muscles but take about an hour for the whole process to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

adrian522 wrote: »
    Is there any point in taking a gel during a half Marathon other than to get used to taking them in a race situation?

My understanding was that gels provide energy to muscles but take about an hour for the whole process to take place.

Tbh, we could be here till the cows etc and probably will be, but it boils down to you personally I think - for a Half anyway where the reading I've done suggests they're not physiologically necessary.

My last two efforts at 13.1 miles were as follows:

1) Gel before start, some flat coca cola at km 15 = 1.24.02

2) Water = 1.22.31

Both PBs and it's only fair to point out 2nd one is flat, first has a few drags near the end.

I can emphasise too!

And well done you! :D

But you're missing my point. Runners are fickle and confidence/mind tricks play a very important role. Gels are great for that - you can always look forward to the next one, and if you THINK it will help then it almost certainly will.

On the purely physiological side I do have my doubts, however. I never managed to take more than 3 gels in any marathon, and that's not a lot of energy no matter how you look at it. How much difference does it really make to your muscle glycogen levels?

During that run in Vienna, when I was just about hanging on, running at the very edge of my ability, just thinking about my next gel was very helpful. At the very least it stopped me thinking that I might collapse any time soon. Definitely a big plus, and it may well have made all the difference between finishing just under or just over 3 hours.

Nothing of all that means that gels are necessary. How many gels have the top Irish marathon runners consumed while trying to break John Treacy's times, and how much did it help them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There's a relatively recent review of research here. The only distance running study (over two half-marathons run on treadmill) suggests no performance enhancement (placebo use was incorporated, so psychological effects would have been covered). The results are more definitive for cycling and intermittent running.

On the purely physiological side I do have my doubts, however. I never managed to take more than 3 gels in any marathon, and that's not a lot of energy no matter how you look at it. How much difference does it really make to your muscle glycogen levels?
    I have my doubts too, but as you pointed out, a psychological benefit is still a benefit, albeit a bit of a crutch. I'm not here to defend gels. Though I have used them for every marathon PB from 3:25 down to 2:38, I'm not entirely certain that they're necessary (and I've run lots of sub 3 marathons without gels). However, by the time I hit that starting line in Frankfurt, having invested a year of training towards my goal, I want to minimize any potential risks and will carry gels with me. If I were John Treacy and had my drinks custom-prepared for me and handed to me at pre-agreed drink stations along the route, then I'd definitely have no need for them. Unusually, that option is available in Frankfurt for runners faster than 2:45, but I reckon the chances of finding your sports drink are pretty poor, so I'll carry a couple of gels.

In fairness he gave me a ridic warning the other day so just winding him up ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    There's a relatively recent review of research here. The only distance running study (over two half-marathons run on treadmill) suggests no performance enhancement (placebo use was incorporated, so psychological effects would have been covered). The results are more definitive for cycling and intermittent running.
    It's an interesting review, but one would assume that that a 'highly trained male distance runner' would be completing a half marathon in 60 - 70 minutes and would have no need for any gels or carbohydrates, so I'm not sure why they would have focussed on that group/distance. All of the other findings were favourable towards use of gels for activity > 60 minutes. One of their key findings:
    Sports gels provide a similar pattern of CHO delivery and rates of oxidation as sports drinks

So where a race provides sports drinks that a participant is familiar with (has used in training), and is pretty sure will be available on the course (when they need them), there is no practical use for gels (they merely add weight).

• Advertisement

I have my doubts too, but as you pointed out, a psychological benefit is still a benefit, albeit a bit of a crutch. I'm not here to defend gels.

Funnily enough I'm not here to condemn them either. :) The next time I'm trying to lower my marathon PB, far away as it may be, I will almost certainly carry a couple of gels with me, helpful or not. Just like I'll probably be wearing some ugly compression socks, on the outside chance that they really help with cramping.

But let's get back to the original question that sparked the entire debate:

The answer to the second question is clearly yes, and my guess is that there are actually a fair few of us in that group.

As regards to the first question, I assume the OP either doesn't like gels or they disagree with him, so what would the alternative be?

Since I believe that the physiological effect of gels are not significant (things may be different for elite athletes, but let's ignore that for a moment), any other psychological crutch will do. Jelly babies? Dextrose tablets? Fig rolls? Dark chocolate? Rolos? Percy Pigs? ( <-- all things I have seen used, and the list is practically endless)

Gels have the advantage of coming in very handy packages, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

I have never used Gels. I have run a few half marathons and never felt the need for them. I am contemplating running DCM, and trying to figure out whether the consensus is that they are a must etc.

I have done a couple of 19mile runs in past week (one at 7.10 m/m) and did not feel too bad at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's an interesting review, but one would assume that that a 'highly trained male distance runner' would be completing a half marathon in 60 - 70 minutes and would have no need for any gels or carbohydrates, so I'm not sure why they would have focussed on that group/distance. All of the other findings were favourable towards use of gels for activity > 60 minutes.

Agree completely - part of my point is that marathon-scale research does not appear to have been done yet so there's no definitive evidence. The results from other sports would certainly suggest that marathon-scale research might be justified. Amazing it hasn't been done - you'd imagine the gel companies would be queuing up to fund this kind of research (unless it has been done and the findings are being suppressed!) :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I have never used Gels. I have run a few half marathons and never felt the need for them. I am contemplating running DCM, and trying to figure out whether the consensus is that they are a must etc.

I have done a couple of 19mile runs in past week (one at 7.10 m/m) and did not feel too bad at the end.

I don't think they are a must. If you are happy enough with Lucozade sport it would probably do the same job. They have 4 points on the course tat apparently have lucozade sport but you would be relying on them not running out or whatever.

From one of the studies mentioned above:

" Therefore it appears whole foods such as honey, raisons and
    jelly beans may provide a less expensive alternative to commercial sports gels."

So really no need to rely on Gels if you prefer the alternatives.

To my mind though gels are a lot easier to carry than any of the above.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Agree completely - part of my point is that marathon-scale research does not appear to have been done yet so there's no definitive evidence. The results from other sports would certainly suggest that marathon-scale research might be justified. Amazing it hasn't been done - you'd imagine the gel companies would be queuing up to fund this kind of research (unless it has been done and the findings are being suppressed!) :eek:

There's loads of research/studies been done into the whole, fuelling for marathons. Bottom line is to try and consume about 15g of CHO in 150 ml of fluid every 15 mins and to take a gel every 40-50 mins. Getting 15g of CHO every 15 mins presents problems for those not in the 'elite' arena. But some races do have sports drinks available every 5k - a couple of swigs every 5k plus a gel every 40-50 mins is the job.

Many people say that they couldn't 'stomach' this but you can train it in; you can train the GI tract (Lambert et al., 2008 : 5 training sessions) to accommodate this amount of CHO at race pace.

Where there might be more benefit is in understanding how best to access fat as an energy source at mp but that would require a thread all of its own and the answer isn't running on empty in the morning - this is counter productive and results in a catabolism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Stazza wrote: »
    catabolism...

Crikey, had to look that up and, to save others :)

noun, Biology, Physiology
    1. destructive metabolism; the breaking down in living organisms of more complex substances into simpler ones, with the release of energy (opposed to anabolism )

Stazza wrote: »
    Where there might be more benefit is in understanding how best to access fat as an energy source at mp but that would require a thread all of its own and the answer isn't running on empty in the morning - this is counter productive and results in a catabolism...

So what do you think is the way to train for fat adaptation? (Genuine question, in case you think otherwise)

Enduro wrote: »
    So what do you think is the way to train for fat adaptation? (Genuine question, in case you think otherwise)

Thanks for the parenthesis :).

Marathon training is different to ultra training insomuch as the marathon relies a lot more on glycogen. Although there's a lot to ultra training, I suspect the main thing is about burning fat at what ever pace you're going to run at. Marathons are different. The reason why they are different is that they fall in the 'in-between zone'. Both glycogen and fat are important sources of energy.

Now, I think most of us know that if 'we' are running at our true mp 'available glycogen' will pretty much run out run out after 90 mins or so. (Note - I'm not saying glycogen will run out; I'm saying, 'available glycogen' will be limited and will eventually lead to 'bonking'.)

Most people - I've done this and coached it in too - run in the mornings on empty thinking that they are training their bodies to access fat as an energy source. And, after some time, the body will adapt and access fat. But it's important to understand some critical things here:

1. Once we start going beyond 60 mins on empty at whatever pace, never mind mp, we will be going catabolic. So, if the primary function of our morning run is a recovery/maintenance run, we will in fact be causing more harm to our bodies; even if our run is only 35 mins (min period of time necessary for any 'real aerobic metabolic stimulus') we will be adding to the breakdown impact of the previous day's training. This is exacerbated if we do our recovery runs/maintenance runs too fast, which most people do.

How can you tell if this is happening? Well, most people start saying on their logs that they weren't feeling great on their run, the legs were heavy etc. This continues and we end up in a cycle of running in a glycogen depleted/near depleted state day in day out. We don't get the maximum out of our bodies and we are in fact training in a catabolic state - numpty language: our bodies are eating themselves to provide energy.

If, however, we decide to do an occasional and targeted and progressive workout in an empty state, this can help with the necessary adaptations. What happens is that we fail during the workout. Eg: we do a mlr with say 10 miles @ or around mp and when we hit mile 9 we start to get 'that feeling'. The next time we do this session on empty, we find that we can get to 10 miles before the 'bonking starts'. The adaptations have occurred and we move on from there. So, it's ok to do occasional sessions on empty, if our goal is to train the body to access fat at or around mp. But to do regular recovery/maintenance runs on empty is counter productive, especially if we are running for longer than 60 mins.

2. Then there's the double run with limited glycogen intake b/ween runs - this is a great way of training the body to access fat as an energy source at mp.

Do a morning run, not on empty but fully stocked on carbs and whatever else. It needs to be a tough session - something faster than LT. Maybe something like 2x20mins @ LT with a fast finish over the final 5 mins. Then utilise the refuelling window and get in the carbs and protein. Then limit calorie intake during the day(keep on the verge of the shakes but not too bad. In the evening, do an aerobic run of maybe 6-10 miles. It needs to be longer than 35 mins and mustn't be faster than LT. Ideally start off at 35 mins and then build from there.

EDIT(Note: what I mean by aerobic run is, say a 6 miler with 3-4 miles at or around 15 secs slower than mp. This is then increased so that the faster segment is about 6-7 miles - no more. It's very important not to go further than 7 miles at the fast pace on these glycogen depleted double days.)

3. Another way is the long run. The long run is going to include mp/ anything in and around mp; it shouldn't be done on empty- you'll go catabolic too soon and mess up everything. Take whatever we would have on race day as breakfast and then do the final 10 miles at about 15 secs slower than mp. We should have no problem with this. Then build up. Once we start hitting 15 miles at this pace, we should bonk - that's what we want to happen. Then the following week or two weeks later the adaptations will have taken place and we will be ready to extend...

Now, the 10 miles and 15 miles might seem extreme to some people, if that's so, start off at 5 miles and work up.

There are many ways to do this but running recovery runs on empry isn't a good idea.

Then, of course, you have to balance this with learning how to take on fuel - 15g every 15 mins plus a gel etc. But that's where the art comes in...

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. That's something I'm going to digest <burp> and mull over on this evening's training run.

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    Thanks for the comprehensive answer. That's something I'm going to digest <burp> and mull over on this evening's training run.

There's a lot more to it than what I've posted. But that was my quick reply.

Advertisement