Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Stazza, very interesting post thanks for taking the time to share. I'm not doubting you because you seem to be very knowledgeable and scientifically tuned in on the subject but it conflicts with a lot of advice I've been given regarding my nutrition and eating around my training, advice which has really worked in my favour. In fact I do all my running on empty and have had very good results in both training and racing, particularly in the last few months which is when I really started putting more effort into my nutrition. Of course I get days where I'm sluggish but that's more down to accumulated fatigue rather than fuelling, that's what I feel anyway.

I've raced up a 1/2 and a 10 milers recently on empty and never got that "feeling" you speak of when you know you're running low on fuel, I do know the feeling though. I ran a 2:54 marathon 18 months ago based loosely on the same (high fat, train on empty) plan, didn't take any gels (ok half a gel) and had a great race with no fuelling issues so I believe I've been adapting for quite some time now and this really suits me.

I still rely on carbs of course for my sessions and I make sure to replenish immediately after each 60+ min run with a good serving of fruit followed by carbs with dinner and that is what gets me through my next session. I believe I'm pretty well adapted at this stage but is it possible in your opinion that you can fat-adapt to a level that you can run at MP and still be burning a majority of fat? Is it crazy to think this could work for a 2:40 marathon? Or do you think I could be running better by eating before my sessions, it doesn't feel that way right now but you've certainly put doubts in my mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

jebuz wrote: »
    Stazza, very interesting post thanks for taking the time to share. I'm not doubting you because you seem to be very knowledgeable and scientifically tuned in on the subject but it conflicts with a lot of advice I've been given regarding my nutrition and eating around my training, advice which has really worked in my favour. In fact I do all my running on empty and have had very good results in both training and racing, particularly in the last few months which is when I really started putting more effort into my nutrition. Of course I get days where I'm sluggish but that's more down to accumulated fatigue rather than fuelling, that's what I feel anyway.

I've raced up a 1/2 and a 10 milers recently on empty and never got that "feeling" you speak of when you know you're running low on fuel, I do know the feeling though. I ran a 2:54 marathon 18 months ago based loosely on the same (high fat, train on empty) plan, didn't take any gels (ok half a gel) and had a great race with no fuelling issues so I believe I've been adapting for quite some time now and this really suits me.

I still rely on carbs of course for my sessions and I make sure to replenish immediately after each 60+ min run with a good serving of fruit followed by carbs with dinner and that is what gets me through my next session. I believe I'm pretty well adapted at this stage but is it possible in your opinion that you can fat-adapt to a level that you can run at MP and still be burning a majority of fat? Is it crazy to think this could work for a 2:40 marathon? Or do you think I could be running better by eating before my sessions, it doesn't feel that way right now but you've certainly put doubts in my mind :)

Sorry for any typos of if anything isn't too clear - I've just rattled this out:

Ok, let me deal with the first two para’s and then I’ll come back to the final para.

Most people will do their morning runs on empty – they don’t really have time to fuel up, digest, empty, and then run. I often run on empty too. I have no problem going out and running 16 miles on empty at 7-7:30 pace. More often, I’ll do an 8 on empty in about 58 mins or so – although I try not to do this, I try to do my morning runs after breakfast. Also, when you first start running on empty, you will adapt quickly, especially if you are just starting out. (I’m employing ‘you’ as a plural pronoun, not you specifically.)

We need to think about what it is we’re doing when we’re training on empty. Basically, training stresses the body, which disturbs the homeostasis, this activates messengers and they go scuttling and trigger signaling pathways. If this happens regularly (like in your case) adaptations take place. Your body has adapted to training on empty.

When we train on empty we go into a catabolic state but if we get the post workout nutrition right, we can switch from catabolic to anabolic – hormones are released and the magic happens. If we don’t get the post training nutrition right the impact on the adaptations will differ – (if I were you, I’d look at getting in some BCAA after your workouts and some form of protein straight after your 60 min runs – this will encourage the necessary hormone release for the switch from catabolic to anabolic). Probably meaning that we’ll stay in a catabolic state longer and not get the max out of our training. The body is great at ‘coping’.

If you were to have your breakfast before training, the stress to the body would change and in fact the stress wouldn’t be as great as that as training in a fasted state. But, and this is an important but, your body wouldn’t be in a full blown catabolic state, especially if you got your pre training nutrition right. Swings and roundabouts here. Do you want your body to adapt (over time) to running in a fasted state @ 7 min pace for 60 mins or do you want to recover effectively from the previous day’s hard session? Take into account the impact of constantly grinding down the body – is your body getting a chance to fully recover and maximize the impact of the adaptations from the key sessions?

On to the 10 -13 miler ‘feeling’. In a reasonably well trained runner, running 13 miles or 10 miles fasted shouldn’t prove too difficult. Even doing a hard session in a fasted state shouldn’t prove too difficult. Jake bangs out 17 milers with LT segments in a fasted state. I can do intervals and long runs fasted too. Paddy the Kenyan races everything in a fasted state. But what we should be asking is what are we trying to do?

If you are trying to teach the body to run @ 6 min pace for 26 miles, then you’d be better off stressing the body in such a way that you’re teaching it to adapt to 6 min pace and burning fat while saving as much glycogen as possible.

Is it better to do 60 mins in the morning in a fasted state at 7 pace the day after a session of mile reps or would it be better to do the 60 mins after eating so that you don’t go catabolic and the recovery and adaptations from the mile reps are more efficacious?

Or would it be better to bang out a more specific session/ double session where the body is being stressed to failure and then adapts the next time – if and only if the recovery is done properly?

These are the things we should be thinking about. What exactly are you doing when you run 8 miles the day after a workout? What was the purpose of the workout? How do I progress that workout? Etc etc.

To answer your question about 2:40 – I’m not saying to run 26miles at 6 pace on fat; I’m saying that we should be trying to create the necessary stimulus that forces the body to adapt to burning fuel (glycogen and fat) effectively at 6 pace.

My suggestion would be to target certain sessions where you are stressing the body in such a way that it learns to become economical at whatever pace you want to run. Target the workouts where you want/need the body to be effective at burning fuel either side of mp.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Stazza, just a quick question on the whole 'on empty' thing.
    Surely if we have had a good meal the night before, we don't burn much glycogen while asleep (if any) so there is no reason we would be at 'empty' the next morning.
    Is there really a need to have breakfast before running to top up glycogen stores?
    Is sleeping really such a drain on our glycogen stores?
    I regularly run a hilly 13k into work on just a mouthful of water, while I found this tough at first ( about 3 years ago) I think it really brought me on over long distances. Still hate this run every time though :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Stazza, just a quick question on the whole 'on empty' thing.
    Surely if we have had a good meal the night before, we don't burn much glycogen while asleep (if any) so there is no reason we would be at 'empty' the next morning.
    Is there really a need to have breakfast before running to top up glycogen stores?
    Is sleeping really such a drain on our glycogen stores?
    I regularly run a hilly 13k into work on just a mouthful of water, while I found this tough at first ( about 3 years ago) I think it really brought me on over long distances. Still hate this run every time though :)

Good point but unfortunately, when we're asleep, 50% of the glycogen stored in the liver is drained. And like I mentioned, once we've been running for a while we can 'handle' running on empty. But because we can 'handle' it, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best way to train. Again, it comes back to, what is the point of the run 'we' are doing?

Stazza wrote: »
    Good point but unfortunately, when we're asleep, 50% of the glycogen stored in the liver is drained. And like I mentioned, once we've been running for a while we can 'handle' running on empty. But because we can 'handle' it, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best way to train. Again, it comes back to, what is the point of the run 'we' are doing?

So the glycogen stores in the liver are lowered during sleep but not the muscles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Christ my brain is gone catabolic reading all this stuff! When did this running lark become so complicated. I'm frying my sausages in lard in the morning before my long run so I can use some fat for fuel!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

I do all my long runs about 2 hours after couple of slices of brown bread and if it happens to be a fast finish run I often get a smell of ammonia when I'm having a shower. Never happens on a tempo or interval session. Don't fuel or take water on the run. Is this the body going into catabolic state?

So the glycogen stores in the liver are lowered during sleep but not the muscles?

Not quite... if we don't take in fuel after sleeping, which is one way of low carb training availability, we are 'limiting' exogenous skeletal muscle carbohydrates and this can help in training the body to adapt. But the workouts need to be more targeted and progressive rather than the norm of , yeah I'll go for a run on empty and that'll help fat adaptation. Yes, it helps fat adaptation but at a cost and a chronic cost at that: the body isn't getting a chance to fully recover and maximise adaptation etc.

conavitzky wrote: »
    I do all my long runs about 2 hours after couple of slices of brown bread and if it happens to be a fast finish run I often get a smell of ammonia when I'm having a shower. Never happens on a tempo or interval session. Don't fuel or take water on the run. Is this the body going into catabolic state?

Try banging some almond butter on the bread or peanut butter. Maybe change to wholemeal bagels.

Whether to fuel or not depends on what the purpose of the long run is. I've never taken a gel in my life or a drink on a run. I will, however, be taking drinks and gels at certain stages of my marathon build up.

I will do some runs on empty but I'll work more on the limiting the endogenous carbohydrate availability - limiting carbs b/ween sessions on a double day: morning session hard and afternoon session with no more than 6-7 mile work in and around mp.

Not quite... if we don't take in fuel after sleeping, which is one way of low carb training availability, we are 'limiting' exogenous skeletal muscle carbohydrates and this can help in training the body to adapt. But the workouts need to be more targeted and progressive rather than the norm of , yeah I'll go for a run on empty and that'll help fat adaptation. Yes, it helps fat adaptation but at a cost and a chronic cost at that: the body isn't getting a chance to fully recover and maximise adaptation etc.

Cool. I only ask because I do these runs out of handiness and time saving rather than anything else. Once a week I'll run home from work (12k downhill, but I'll often extend this if doing an MLR) and run back in the next morning 'on empty' only because I want to sleep as long as possible!!.

Given that driving takes 30 minutes and running takes 1hr-1hr 10 minutes it's a massive time saver. However tbh i have always noticed the legs to be totally wrecked all day after running into work (compared to a similar evening run) so your theories do pique my interest.

• Advertisement

Cool. I only ask because I do these runs out of handiness and time saving rather than anything else. Once a week I'll run home from work (12k downhill, but I'll often extend this if doing an MLR) and run back in the next morning 'on empty' only because I want to sleep as long as possible!!.

Given that driving takes 30 minutes and running takes 1hr-1hr 10 minutes it's a massive time saver. However tbh i have always noticed the legs to be totally wrecked all day after running into work (compared to a similar evening run) so your theories do pique my interest.

Have a few swigs of an energy drink before you head out and make sure you scoff some carbs and protein in the 15 min window and you'll probably be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There's loads of research/studies been done into the whole, fuelling for marathons. Bottom line is to try and consume about 15g of CHO in 150 ml of fluid every 15 mins and to take a gel every 40-50 mins. Getting 15g of CHO every 15 mins presents problems for those not in the 'elite' arena. But some races do have sports drinks available every 5k - a couple of swigs every 5k plus a gel every 40-50 mins is the

Can you save me a step and cite some of these studies? I'd like to read some of this stuff out of general interest. I have access to a decent range of research databases.

Have a few swigs of an energy drink before you head out and make sure you scoff some carbs and protein in the 15 min window and you'll probably be ok.

I normally have a glass of milk to cover the latter, will look into the former....

Murph_D wrote: »
    Can you save me a step and cite some of these studies? I'd like to read some of this stuff out of general interest. I have access to a decent range of research databases.

No problem.

I wasn't being an ar$e when I said there were loads of studies - I know it reads that way - I was banging it out without taking the time to be all polite and that. I should have phrased it differently.

Murph_D wrote: »

Murph, if you have a look at my post on page 29- I've linked in a Canadian study and in the reference section there are several of the studies with links.

Just looking at this again.
    How are 'a few swigs of energy drink' gonna cover a 12k run. considering 1/2 litre of Lucozade sport is about 200 kcal (max) a few swigs are really only gonna cover about half a mile surely?
    Surely you'd be netter off taking nothing instead of 'prick teasing'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Reading all this, I'm beginning to realise that I haven't got a clue what the hell I'm doing- and furtermore am probably doing everything wrong!

Running eh..........pfft think ill take up scuba diving- I'm sure it's less complicated:D

Just looking at this again.
    How are 'a few swigs of energy drink' gonna cover a 12k run. considering 1/2 litre of Lucozade sport is about 200 kcal (max) a few swigs are really only gonna cover about half a mile surely?
    Surely you'd be netter off taking nothing instead of 'prick teasing'?

:D Well, by a few swigs, I didn't mean that you literally take two mouthfuls and 'swallow' ;). Take a good old drink and it will go some way to replenishing some of the glycogen that your body used overnight to keep your system going. This,with the more 'muscle specific' glycogen, albeit at a lower concentration, should go some way to preventing you from going catabolic.

But in reality, the only real way to stop from going catabolic on your morning run is to do what I'm doing this morning: get up and have some breakfast and then go back to bed. Get up two hours later and you're ready to go.

Bottom line, if you're going to run for 60 mins or so in the morning on 'empty', you have to decide if the minimal benefits outweigh the greater cost, especially if it's supposed to be a recovery run.

What are the benefits? Slowly you begin to make adaptations to burn fat at plodding pace. But what's happening to your immune system? Now there's another can of worms...

Or, do you do your club workout on Tuesday and then on Wednesday try to run for only 35 mins in the morning with a couple of 'swigs' and hope that your muscle specific glycogen, plus what's left in your liver, and your 'couple of 'swigs' will do the job?

But hey, at least we're now starting to think about it...

@ sideswipe:

Nah, I'm just trying to get 'people' to think about what they are doing. It's all pretty simple really.

Workout what it is that you are trying to do and then stress the body so that it responds to the stimulus. Give the body a chance to recover and adapt. Then stress the body again with the appropriate stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Even doing a hard session in a fasted state shouldn’t prove too difficult. Jake bangs out 17 milers with LT segments in a fasted state. I can do intervals and long runs fasted too. Paddy the Kenyan races everything in a fasted state.

Doesn't that single paragraph contradict all that fancy theory stuff about catabolic state you just mentioned in such detail?

• Advertisement

Doesn't that single paragraph contradict all that fancy theory stuff about catabolic state you just mentioned in such detail?

No, far from it. Read it again in context of everything (rather than your usual cheap shot snide comments: your use of 'fancy etc' suggests you're being a pr1ck) that's been posted and you'll see what I'm saying. Targeted sessions are ok: sessions where you are specifically trying to provoke a stimulus to burn fat at a certain pace. But to do recovery runs/all your runs/most of your runs on empty is counter productive - it's pretty simple when you think about it.

And yes, as I mentioned earlier, I've made many mistakes on the running on empty idea. I've run on empty and coached people to run on empty thinking that it was the best thing to do.

Now, I try not to run on empty. I've spoken to Jake about sorting his fuelling too - note that there aren't too many in Ireland faster than Jake over the marathon - and it's something he's addressed. Of course, if you're running 140 miles a week with a 12-14 as your run before work, fuelling presents some problems. But with a little perspicacity they can be sorted). Paddy the Kenyan's fuelling issues are beyond me and probably anybody alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

No, far from it. Read it again in context of everything (rather than your usual cheap shot snide comments: your use of 'fancy etc' suggests you're being a pr1ck) that's been posted and you'll see what I'm saying. Targeted sessions are ok: sessions where you are specifically trying to provoke a stimulus to burn fat at a certain pace. But to do recovery runs/all your runs/most of your runs on empty is counter productive - it's pretty simple when you think about it.

And yes, as I mentioned earlier, I've made many mistakes on the running on empty idea. I've run on empty and coached people to run on empty thinking that it was the best thing to do.

Now, I try not to run on empty. I've spoken to Jake about sorting his fuelling too - note that there aren't too many in Ireland faster than Jake over the marathon - and it's something he's addressed. Of course, if you're running 140 miles a week with a 12-14 as your run before work, fuelling presents some problems. But with a little perspicacity they can be sorted). Paddy the Kenyan's fuelling issues are beyond me and probably anybody alive.

Let's try and keep it civil shall we? No need for this.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Let's try and keep it civil shall we? No need for this.

Hold on a second, lad. What about your chum? There was a reasonable discussion going on and he jumped in and started giving it the Billy Big Balls. Now, I'm happy to play the game but you've got keep it sweet,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hold on a second, lad. What about your chum? There was a reasonable discussion going on and he jumped in and started giving it the Billy Big Balls. Now, I'm happy to play the game but you've got keep it sweet,

If you have an issue with a post, use the report post function, it's the little triangle beside the posters name. I didn't see any issue with TFB's comment, to me it just looked liked he was involving himself in the conversation and questioning something you posted, is that not the point of discussion? Also, if you have an issue with a MOD action please use the PM function.

pconn062 wrote: »
    If you have an issue with a post, use the report post function, it's the little triangle beside the posters name. I didn't see any issue with TFB's comment, to me it just looked liked he was involving himself in the conversation and questioning something you posted, is that not the point of discussion? Also, if you have an issue with a MOD action please use the PM function.

I don't have an issue with his post - I can handle Tommo and his fancy posts.

It's just been pointed out to me that the issue might be more to do with my suggestion that Tommo was being a pr1ck. I apologise for suggesting that Tommo was being pr1ck. Clearly he wasn't being a pr1ck. Sorry Tommo, you weren't being a pr1ck and it was wrong of me to post that you were being a pr1ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Moving swiftly on.....;-)

Anyone know of a track in Dublin (Northside) that one can use for a few hours now and again that's good value? (not the free cinder track in Kilbarrack, I just wouldn't feel that safe there on winter nights).
    ALSAA is 10 euro for as long as you like but it is ridiculously expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

The only other track open to the public in Dublin is Irishtown and use to be a fiver in, too far for you?. I don't think Santry is open to the public and the others in Dublin I know are privately owned by clubs - Tallaght and Donore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

gerard_65 wrote: »
    The only other track open to the public in Dublin is Irishtown and use to be a fiver in, too far for you?. I don't think Santry is open to the public and the others in Dublin I know are privately owned by clubs - Tallaght and Donore.

No I asked in Santry before.
    Irishtown might be a possibility but by the time I'd pay the petrol to drive there and home I might as well just jog up the road to ALSAA.
    Cheers, good to know my other options - ie there aren't any:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Would it work out cheaper to join the Gym in the ALSAA for a year instead of paying as you go?

Advertisement