Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S5 v HTC One M8 v Sony Xperia Z2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

Hahaha hate this.

have you figured out if calls and text can be blocked as I have 1 or 3 blocked on my iPhone ?

I haven't checked but I know that there's definitely an app that does it! Have you made your mind up yet?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    I haven't checked but I know that there's definitely an app that does it! Have you made your mind up yet?!

I keep botteling it I have family & friends driven mad !! This dam iPhone I'm afraid to let it go incase I can't get used to the z2 :-( .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Frogurt!

I keep botteling it I have family & friends driven mad !! This dam iPhone I'm afraid to let it go incase I can't get used to the z2 :-( .

"Just eat the damn orange!!" :)

You'll get used to it in no time! I moved from the iPhone last year when I got my S4 and it was no bother! I was worried beforehand though! You won't regret it!! Go for it!!!!!

You'll get used to it in no time! I moved from the iPhone last year when I got my S4 and it was no bother! I was worried beforehand though! You won't regret it!! Go for it!!!!!

I'm going to have a look at it now in the cpw ;) question if I bought it and had it unlocked does it void warranty ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I have the M7 and have had the Desire, Sensation, One X before that, so was thinking of moving from HTC for a change. Went down to CPW at lunch to take a look at the Z2 after hearing all the good stuff on here, but I think it looks terrible.

Anyone else also feel it looks like a big box compared to the M8?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

SuprSi wrote: »
    Eye of the beholder and all that but I think the Z2 is the best looking phone out of the lot. Admittedly it's a big bugger and due to its shape isn't as sleek but I always liked how it looked when seeing it in phone shops and I'm chuffed I have it. My OH has the M8 so I have a direct comparison too.

Just to quote one of my previous posts on this thread. I think it's a fantastic looking phone and prefer it to the M8, which is also a gorgeous device. It is definitely blockier and doesn't fit as easily into my pocket as the M8 would, but that doesn't really bother me.

It's a personal taste thing. I've always liked the Z series phones and the Z2 is the best of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dinosaur Controller

Just to add to this. I got an M8 a few months back and thought it was a fantastic phone bar the camera. I was having an email issue so swapped it for an S5 on adverts.

I lasted two days with it before I'd had enough. I really couldn't get over the lag with it, the camera was better for sure but not hugely though. It felt bloated and slow compared to the M8. The battery life was about on a par in my experience, maybe slightly in favour of the M8 but nothing drastic and the battery would probably have needed a few charge cycles to give its best. What Samsung have done with the settings menu is a bit of a joke - it's gone from being the usual and intuitive android one to a selection of coloured blobs or tabs depending on the configuration but it slowed me up when I needed to change things.

I managed to swap it for an iPhone 5s (I know, the shame) and am much happier with that despite its smaller screen. I don't have any experience of the Z2 but if I had the choice between the HTC or the S5 it would be the HTC.

Thanks. Helped me make up my mind.

Went for the M8. Used one the other day and was very impressed. Camera, although not top end is more than sufficient for me. I've been using the N4's for the last year and a half so!!

Not a fan of Samsung's firmware and not sure on Sony in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

I have been like many on here, having a massive debate with myself , S5 or M8. The Sony doesn't come into it for me, fantastic spec but feels horrible in hand far too square round the edges.

I went with the M8 and delighted I did. My other half got the S5 and it's visably slower in operation. The battery seems much better on the M8 too with 2 full days useage per charge.

The internal speakers are fantastic quality, even when watching YouTube videos you get the full stereo effect.

On the camera issue I dint see a difference when identical photos were taken same time and place printed on A4 paper, the colour is slightly better on the M8 seems to pop more, and there is no difference in regards sharpness whatsoever.

My concencous is M8 and by a fair distance!

Got the M8. Definitely the right decision. For me anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I too am thinking of moving away from my iphone and give android a try. I'm really tired of the iOS system.

Would love a change.

I'm looking at the S5, M8 and Z2 and at the moment the S5 is the front runner.

Someone on here said the s5 has only 8gb internal memory, how is that. It states it is 16gb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I too am thinking of moving away from my iphone and give android a try. I'm really tired of the iOS system.

Would love a change.

Someone on here said the s5 has only 8gb internal memory, how is that. It states it is 16gb?

8GB usable after the Samsung OS and bloatware is put on it. No phone gives you 16GB usable. They all use up some space for the OS and apps. Samsung is the worst though.

It's not a huge issue. I've the 16GB version, loads of apps and a 64GB microSD card in it (only costs about €20 - €30) and have about 3GB free on the internal memory. Many apps can save their data to SD Card and you can throw your music and videos to the card.

Would love a change.

I was the same as yourself I ended up getting the s4 and I'm liking it a lot it has 9gb internal storage the s5 has 8.5gb I have a stack of apps on my and still have 6gb free .

I bought a 64gb sd card have all my music and videos on it also most apps can be transferred over or at least their data and it frees up a fair bit of space .

I still think phone company's have some neck using you're internal storage for their bloat if it's 16gb it should sold as 16 why not sell it as a 25gb and use 9 leaving 16 rant over lol .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

I think I'm going to go for the S5. Brilliant camera, and the screen is absolutely gorgeous.

It's shocking how HTC think 4mp is adequate these days for a €500 flagship phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Sam Mac wrote: »
    It's shocking how HTC think 4mp is adequate these days for a €500 flagship phone.

It's shocking how people still think that a bigger MP number automatically means a better camera. I've had a HTC One M7 for a good while now and for everyday shooting the camera is on a par with the last couple of Galaxy S phones I've had and surpasses them in low light situations.

Personally the only phone on the market at the moment I'm tempted to switch to is the LG G3.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Testament1 wrote: »
    It's shocking how people still think that a bigger MP number automatically means a better camera. I've had a HTC One M7 for a good while now and for everyday shooting the camera is on a par with the last couple of Galaxy S phones I've had and surpasses them in low light situations.

Personally the only phone on the market at the moment I'm tempted to switch to is the LG G3.

Couldn't agree more.

More isn't always better. to use a similar anonagy a professional 8mp camera is much much better that a 25mp point and shoot.

The camera mp debate is a mute one of you ask me unless your printing in A1 size you will notice zero difference.

I completely agree that megapixels aren't everything. But, the S5 still has a better camera though, correct? From testing both phones that's the conclusion I came too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

When you look at the sites that have done comparisons ( linked ages ago in this thread) the M8 generally doesn't come out the best. The camera in it is perfectly adequate for most users, it's just not the best of the current high end phones.

And what if you are printing in A1 size? €500 is a lot for a phone that lacks the ability to do so.. just saying .

id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it .

I did think like that before I took the plunge and bought the M8, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

I think you'll be happy with whatever you buy. The same goes for most people on the thread I think.

After the S4 I swore I wouldn't buy another Galaxy though. Serious bloatware coupled with ugly Touchwiz. I know you can change all that but with the M8 I don't have to. :)

• Advertisement

I did think like that before I took the plunge and bought the M8, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

I think you'll be happy with whatever you buy. The same goes for most people on the thread I think.

After the S4 I swore I wouldn't buy another Galaxy though. Serious bloatware coupled with ugly Touchwiz. I know you can change all that but with the M8 I don't have to. :)

I had the iPhone 5 got bored with it got the M8 hated it tbh hated everything about it camera was sh1t . Was going to get the s5 and was advised to go for the s4 by the guy in phone shop as there not much difference s5/s4 . Only have the s4 few weeks and I love it the freedom I have with this compared to the iPhone .

Soooo after 2 faulty Z2s I am now the proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S5! I still think the Z2 is a great phone, I was just unlucky.
    So far so good with my S5, I love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Soooo after 2 faulty Z2s I am now the proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S5! I still think the Z2 is a great phone, I was just unlucky.
    So far so good with my S5, I love it!!

What was wrong with yours?

Im finding mine drops network alot, Dunno if its the phone or network!

Vain wrote: »

The first one had a problem with the speaker so a lot of the time on the phone when the other person was speaking I could hear a bit of a crackle or something.
    Second one had a problem with the microphone, everyone I rang said the sound was terrible, as if I was in a tunnel!

which colour of the S5 did people get?

Sam Mac wrote: »
    which colour of the S5 did people get?

I got white!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The megapixels idea is a great concept, unfortunately HTC made a balls of it. I've an m7 over a year now and the only real criticism I'd have is the camera. For my usage I'd rate it worse than my old One X. It's one of the reasons I won't touch the m8. In any given situation my wife's iPhone 5 destroys it when it comes to photos. I don't even bother using mine any more. As much as I loathe the OS I'm tempted to go for the iPhone 6 when it come out. Apple really make great use of those Sony modules. Maybe the z3 will save me from iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Vain wrote: »

Mine does that too. It seems to struggle switching between 3G and 4G.

Apart from that I'm really happy with the Z2. HTC have changed everything I liked about sense.

I had the iPhone 5 got bored with it got the M8 hated it tbh hated everything about it camera was sh1t . Was going to get the s5 and was advised to go for the s4 by the guy in phone shop as there not much difference s5/s4 . Only have the s4 few weeks and I love it the freedom I have with this compared to the iPhone .

Well there's no comparison with an iPhone!

Surprised you hated the M8. Seems very harsh. It's by the far the best android device I've owned.

Camera isn't as good but there are options and you can take some great shots provided you know what you're doing. Point and shoot isn't as good though I agree.

• Advertisement

Well there's no comparison with an iPhone!

Surprised you hated the M8. Seems very harsh. It's by the far the best android device I've owned.

Camera isn't as good but there are options and you can take some great shots provided you know what you're doing. Point and shoot isn't as good though I agree.

how do you mean there's no comparison with an iPhone in what way ?

Advertisement