Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S5 v HTC One M8 v Sony Xperia Z2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Month to month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    Yeah I think the S5 is probably better than the M8 but I am also considering the Z2.
    What do you have now?
    Whichever phone you get will be brilliant anyway!

Yeah let me know ;)
    That'd be great, thanks.
    Good luck!!

Sorry for just getting back to you, I'm just in the door from work!

After much deliberation and talking to the soundest staff member in Carphone Warehouse, I went with the Xperia Z2.

I'm only after turning it on this minute after having it on charge all evening, will post up my views on it when I get to play around with it, just messing around with the settings! Gorgeous phone, I had the original Xperia Z before and this one feels just as good in hand if not better.

Went for this over the S5/M8 as it has a higher milliamp battery and I liked the low battery/stamina mode features on the original Z so I knew I won't be let down in that department.

Having looked through the demo phone thoroughly with the person in store, the camera was absolutely amazing. Even went through the slow mo video effects etc, all a bit gimmicky but handy non the less if I was using it. It can also take photos under water apparantly.

Also, I know the GHZ is 2.3 compared to the S5's 2.5 but the 3GB RAM made up for it, making the phone future proof for the rest of the year at least.

Any questions just let me know, I can compare it with the M8.

PS Sparkles - I literally read your upgrade thread on Vodafone Community there :p I made a thread there tonight about porting, 12 hours later I still haven't ported over :( The M8 and S5 were with 3 but decided to get this on Vodafone. Better signal in my area. Free phone, unlimited calls texts and 3GB internet 55 per month!! Hopefully the porting issue will be resolved by tomorrow, i'd say it's just to do with the bank holiday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

Ooohhh you went for the Z2 in the end, nice one! At the minute that's what I am leaning towards too but I do have another 4 weeks to wait unfortunately!
    Yeah let us know after you've spent some time messing around with it.
    It sounds like an excellent phone anyway, I doubt you'll be disappointed!

Lol yep I was gutted when I was told June and then July! Looking back myself I should have known it was July if I had went back over my bills.
    Oh yeah the porting is probably cos of the bank holiday. I switched to Vodafone last year when I got the S4 and it had ported by the time I got from the shop to my house (about 20 minutes!) but that was a Saturday.

Enjoy your new phone

Thanks mate. It really is lovely have it all set up ready to go now with my apps installed etc.
    Just want to get myself a screen protector for it!

Having problems porting still hasn't been done and i'm onto customer care. They said it was rejected and now its processing. So hopefully be ok by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I was in looking at the 3 phones in CPW yesterday as I'll be due an upgrade soon, the M8 and the Z2 felt very nice to use, as for the S5 for the specs I couldn't get over the lag and judder on animations, I loaded apps side by side against my Nexus5 and it was beaten on all apps (albeit limited amount of apps on the store demo) I'm hoping for the sake of Samsung that it was a dodgey demo model but judging by what I've seen I'll be sticking with my Nexus for a while longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭daviddunne1992

Hi,
    does the s5 have a back cover that you can change?
    I fancy the blue but Meteor only seem to have black and white.

Vikings wrote: »
    I just upgraded to the S5 from an S3. I was thinking about the M8 for a while but with the S5 having a removable battery and room for a micro SD card it sealed the deal for me.

I got this case for the S5 and not only does it give good protection, it looks the business too.

Battery life is great on the S5, with light/moderate use I can get away without charging it overnight for a day or so. Heavy use lasts about 24 hours. (Currently at 49% after 23h59 minutes off charge with 3 hours screen time to give you an idea)

Find the speaker on this much much better than the S3 I had before. All in all I think the S5 offers better "futureproofing" if you will in terms of being able to replace the battery, add a bigger battery, add a wireless charging case/pad etc.
    looks good but does it have a screen protector or did you have to buy one seperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

looks good but does it have a screen protector or did you have to buy one seperate?

That cover doesn't come with one so you would have to buy one separate. I never took off the plastic cover that came with the phone new.

After using the cover for a month i'm very happy with it.

Vikings wrote: »
    That cover doesn't come with one so you would have to buy one separate. I never took off the plastic cover that came with the phone new.

After using the cover for a month i'm very happy with it.
    thanks for the feedback pal.. i'll be getting an s5 in two weeks so I think i'll order the case and screen protector in advance if I can find a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Excellent camera comparison here. Doesn't include Z2 though.

http://www.imore.com/iphone-5s-vs-samsung-galaxy-s5-vs-htc-one-m8-camera-shootout

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Just to add to this. I got an M8 a few months back and thought it was a fantastic phone bar the camera. I was having an email issue so swapped it for an S5 on adverts.

I lasted two days with it before I'd had enough. I really couldn't get over the lag with it, the camera was better for sure but not hugely though. It felt bloated and slow compared to the M8. The battery life was about on a par in my experience, maybe slightly in favour of the M8 but nothing drastic and the battery would probably have needed a few charge cycles to give its best. What Samsung have done with the settings menu is a bit of a joke - it's gone from being the usual and intuitive android one to a selection of coloured blobs or tabs depending on the configuration but it slowed me up when I needed to change things.

I managed to swap it for an iPhone 5s (I know, the shame) and am much happier with that despite its smaller screen. I don't have any experience of the Z2 but if I had the choice between the HTC or the S5 it would be the HTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

A little surprised that the LG G2/3 wasn't included in the title, beats the Sony & Samsung hands down imo

A little surprised that the LG G2/3 wasn't included in the title, beats the Sony & Samsung hands down imo

I didn't ask about LG as I'm in contract with Vodafone and I don't think they do LG phones unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I didn't ask about LG as I'm in contract with Vodafone and I don't think they do LG phones unfortunately.

Since I got passed that fake S5 and have heard SFA from the Gardai about the fooker that gave it to me I'm now absolutely holding out for the LG G3!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

True enough, it was just the thread had meandered a bit & I'd forgotten :)
    ......I do like that bloody LG though!

True enough, it was just the thread had meandered a bit & I'd forgotten :)
    ......I do like that bloody LG though!

Yeah it's a pity alright. I still don't know which phone to get lol

Have my Z2 nearly 2 weeks and love it. Data constantly on except during the night when I swap to wifi, spent a good time online social media and browsing, apps constantly open, few minutes of games each day and lots of calls and texts and every 2nd night battery would be just under 20% in stamina/low battery saving mode so i'd charge it then. Unbelievable. Flawless, hasn't even crashed or anything, no lagging etc whatsoever. Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Likewise, plumped for the Sony, Asked Carphone Warehouse for the upgrade prices on Vodafone Red Essential, got told the Samsung was €179 the HTC and Sony were €99, so the Samsung was ruled out there and then. Next it was a comparison of the specs and the online review, although in reality I'd be taking 8mp pictures on either, the fact that I could take higher res if I wanted sealed it for the Sony, which surprised even me. After a poor 24 months with a CPW exclusive on Vodafone Xperia S, which never got off Gingerbread and was next to impossible to flash, I didn't think I would go back to Sony. I'm glad I did......so far.

I do have one smallest of small niggles, and that's with the headphones, the noise cancellation works great it's just disappointing that there is no dedicated call answering button on them, you have to dig out the phone to answer it or pause your music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

flazio wrote: »
    Likewise, plumped for the Sony, Asked Carphone Warehouse for the upgrade prices on Vodafone Red Essential, got told the Samsung was €179 the HTC and Sony were €99, so the Samsung was ruled out there and then. Next it was a comparison of the specs and the online review, although in reality I'd be taking 8mp pictures on either, the fact that I could take higher res if I wanted sealed it for the Sony, which surprised even me. After a poor 24 months with a CPW exclusive on Vodafone Xperia S, which never got off Gingerbread and was next to impossible to flash, I didn't think I would go back to Sony. I'm glad I did......so far.

I do have one smallest of small niggles, and that's with the headphones, the noise cancellation works great it's just disappointing that there is no dedicated call answering button on them, you have to dig out the phone to answer it or pause your music

Just got a Z2 myself, the only issue i have is the camera overheating issue, try running the VR stuff for a few mins and it just shuts off. Good thing though is i have a Pebble watch and answer phone and control music on this so no need to remove the device from my jeans... nice looking unit though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yeah, think I'll just get the fitness band rather then a watch. I think there's more to come with those, as much as it pains me to say it, it'll take Apple to hit the market with Smart watches before the Android producers get to making some really good kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gunnygirl

i'm breaking my heart laughing here :) what are we like .i suppose at the end of the day if you got the m8 and didn't like it you could always sell it on no problem as they are on adverts for around 500/550 /. did you have any prob with app storage on the s4 did you have many apps ?
    I have an s4 at the moment & it's gotten so bad that I have had to delete text messages to allow me to take pictures. Have an sd card but it hasnt worked since day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Gunnygirl wrote: »
    I have an s4 at the moment & it's gotten so bad that I have had to delete text messages to allow me to take pictures. Have an sd card but it hasnt worked since day 1.

it amazes me why the 32gb was never sold in Ireland,i mean 9gb is not worth jack to anyone ,what size SD card you got ?

If it hasn't worked since day 1 what happened when you took it back to the shop?

madmoe wrote: »
    Since I got passed that fake S5 and have heard SFA from the Gardai about the fooker that gave it to me I'm now absolutely holding out for the LG G3!!

really sorry to hear that :( i hope his legs fall of when hes running from the devil !!!

whats the LG G3 like might look into it myself .

it amazes me why the 32gb was never sold in Ireland,i mean 9gb is not worth jack to anyone ,what size SD card you got ?

Its a 64 I think.. never formatted properly. Kept deleting my pictures when I chose to save them to the sd card. Just totally put me off the Samsung altogether. Iv only a handful of apps now & need to do some major deleting of stuff before I can get the latest update. So I'm swaying towards the htc m8

Its a 64 I think.. never formatted properly. Kept deleting my pictures when I chose to save them to the sd card. Just totally put me off the Samsung altogether. Iv only a handful of apps now & need to do some major deleting of stuff before I can get the latest update. So I'm swaying towards the htc m8

Try another 64. I don't know where you got yours but if it was eBay you may have got a smaller one "rebranded" as 64GB.

Or at least try the 64GB in another phone and see if it has the same problem. If it's the card you can even buy a cheapy 16GB MicroSD card for about a tenner and there's your saving photos problem gone.

I've a 64GB. I got it from Amazon for about €40.

If it's the phone, that's not so good. Crappy cards are common enough though, so it's more likely to be that.

All of your media (podcasts, video, music, photos) can be saved to SD. That's the bulk of most peoples data. I've 130 apps installed (including the Samsung crappy apps) and 3.5Gb free.

A friend of mine has the m8 looks a beautiful phone 32gb internal it's savage for memory then you have the ad card . Only thing I don't like is the camer I have an old Nokia with a better camera .

You can get a class 10 64gb ad card on eBay for €12 .
    I know what you mean about the Samsung a major bag of ****e without internal memory . I wanted to get the s5 but with 8.5 gb it's not worth the money.

You could always look at the note 3 beast of a phone 3gig ram 32gb internal plus ad slot .

You can get a class 10 64gb ad card on eBay for €12 .

You can. You can also get 2GB cards branded as 64GB on ebay. Just make sure you buy from a reputable company.
    I know what you mean about the Samsung a major bag of ****e without internal memory . I wanted to get the s5 but with 8.5 gb it's not worth the money.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, the only person who has the S5 and is complaining about a problem with the memory here is GunnyGirl and she either has a faulty phone or faulty card.

So that leaves a couple of options.

1: Everybody else is resigned and doesn't mention it. I don't think that's how the internet works.
    2: Nobody has a problem with it because it's really not an issue.
    3: Nobody else has noticed it and is complaining about not being able to install apps.

Yes they should have the option of selling the 32GB and 64GB models in Ireland. It's hardly ****e because they don't though. I use my phone for nearly every type of app and have no problem with 9GB usable space. Everybody I show my phone to wants to get it. That's more because of the apps though. They'd have the same experience if I showed them the apps on the HTC / LG. After that it's just which hardware you prefer.

So is there anybody else that has the S5 / S4 that is running out of memory and has no option but to delete apps or change their phone?

• Advertisement

timetogo wrote: »
    You can. You can also get 2GB cards branded as 64GB on ebay. Just make sure you buy from a reputable company.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, the only person who has the S5 and is complaining about a problem with the memory here is GunnyGirl and she either has a faulty phone or faulty card.

So that leaves a couple of options.

1: Everybody else is resigned and doesn't mention it. I don't think that's how the internet works.
    2: Nobody has a problem with it because it's really not an issue.
    3: Nobody else has noticed it and is complaining about not being able to install apps.

Yes they should have the option of selling the 32GB and 64GB models in Ireland. It's hardly ****e because they don't though. I use my phone for nearly every type of app and have no problem with 9GB usable space. Everybody I show my phone to wants to get it. That's more because of the apps though. They'd have the same experience if I showed them the apps on the HTC / LG. After that it's just which hardware you prefer.

So is there anybody else that has the S5 / S4 that is running out of memory and has no option but to delete apps or change their phone?

You may want to re read my post. I have an s4 & Im only saying the memory is dirt even without the sd. I've a bit of music on it pictures and literally 10 apps and iv no phone memory left & because the sd doesnt work then I can't get any more apps. Yes it's probably a faulty sd. Think I got it for €20 but it was properly packaged and its the same brand as the ones available in phone shops. I would just like my next phone to have better memory.

Advertisement