Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S5 v HTC One M8 v Sony Xperia Z2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Gunnygirl wrote: »
    You may want to re read my post. I have an s4 & Im only saying the memory is dirt even without the sd. I've a bit of music on it pictures and literally 10 apps and iv no phone memory left & because the sd doesnt work then I can't get any more apps. Yes it's probably a faulty sd. Think I got it for €20 but it was properly packaged and its the same brand as the ones available in phone shops. I would just like my next phone to have better memory.

Ah then your phone is faulty. If you've only 10 apps and they've filled up your memory that's not normal (unless each app is several hundred meg, it is possible). Why would you think that 10 apps and a bit of music and pictures would be normal to fill a phone. Do you know anybody else with an S4? Is their experience the same?
    I've over 125 on my S5 (same memory) and still have over 3 gb free.

Maybe one of your apps has gone wobbly and created a load of temporary files or has downloaded a few gb to fill your memory. If you don't know anybody knowledgeable to help you out bring it into a mobile phone shop and ask them for help. The phones are simple to back up and get back to factory settings.

All of the 16gb smartphones have similar usable memory.
    http://www.androidbeat.com/2014/01/much-storage-space-16gb-smartphone-actually/#.U6CwvkM1jMI
    So from your experience, if that was normal you would only get another 4 or so apps on the best of them.

64gb on Amazon today is £30. That's a pretty reasonable price. If you paid €20 (a while ago) you may have got a fake. It doesnt matter what it looks like. The fakes look identical to the real ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

i got a 64gb SD card from eBay class 10 he gives a guarantee with all his SD cards i have it months now and not a problem with it .

put it into you're phone and check memory status .

PS 12 euro on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181351275732?var=480352132714&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

put it into you're phone and check memory status .

I don't think that's good enough. A fake card will misreport the free space available.

The best test is to copy 60GB to your card. If it all copies and nothing is corrupted then it's fine. If files are lost or overwritten then there's something dodgy about it.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Computers-Networking-I-T/Beware-of-fake-32gb-micro-sd-card-on-ebay/td-p/2594416

There's a windows app you can get called h2testw which can be used to test your device to make sure it is what it says it is.

That price is great on eBay though and his feedback is good so I'm sure he's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

rizzee wrote: »
    I'm heading in soon, was up for a few hours during the night checking out review, the GSMarena one completely puts me in favour of the S5. Apart from design (more of a personal preference than anything TBH) and some cool camera features, in my opinion and judging on reviews I feel the S5 is slightly superior.

I'll let you know how I get on , they better be in stock!! :p I can do a side by side review of both phones as there's a M8 here in the house already like I said

Hi rizzee, soooo how are you getting on with the Z2?
    What's the camera like in comparison with your dad's M8?! I really like the look of the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Perks of the job is that over the last month or two, I've used all three phones quite a lot for work and personal stuff.

It's a toss between the M8 and Z2 for me.

Galaxy S5.
    It's a great piece of hardware, with a fantastic camera with great colours and quality, but I still loathe Touchwiz. Of all three devices it had the most lag and stutters, with constant delay opening widgets.

HTC One M8.
    Such a beautiful phone and deceptively light. The sound and picture quality are so above par it was amazing. The software did not lag once, even when I put it through heavy multitasking like swapping from Netflix to Angry Birds.
    Downside is that camera. Astonishing for low light photos, even if they are a bit blurry. Daytime photos with lots of light were sub par, with lots of image noise and no real sharpness.

Xperia Z2.
    Using this one only for a few days, but by God's am I blown away by this phone!
    The camera is exceptional. I mean it's incredible. Taking photos around Cork today was probably the best experience I've had with a smartphone camera since my first iPhone 3g sone 5 years ago.
    Software wise, it's not the most attractive but it runs very well and the ability to easily change them makes up for a lot.
    Aesthetically not as pleasing as the M8 because it feels more blackish despite being roughly the same size.

Going all in, I'd go with the Z2 at the moment. Battery rivals the M8, as does the software. Like I said, it's not as good looking but sure as he'll rubs wonderfully.

I really really recommend giving it a shot. And I say this as someone who has dismissed Sony phones for the last two years as massively sub par.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »

Galaxy S5.
    It's a great piece of hardware, with a fantastic camera with great colours and quality, but I still loathe Touchwiz. Of all three devices it had the most lag and stutters, with constant delay opening widgets.

Do you still have access to the S5?
    If you do, could you do a quick test. Go into Developer Options and you'll see 3 options (Transition animation scale, Animator duration scale, Windows animation scale). Turn those 3 to off and compare with the other two phones.

I've done that on mine and I don't see any lag, but I don't have access to the HTC or LG to compare.

I can't stand Touchwiz either. I've popped Nova Launcher on mine and it gets rid of most of the Samsung poo. Just waiting on a Google version ROM to pop that one and the phone should fly.

timetogo wrote: »
    Do you still have access to the S5?
    If you do, could you do a quick test. Go into Developer Options and you'll see 3 options (Transition animation scale, Animator duration scale, Windows animation scale). Turn those 3 to off and compare with the other two phones.

I've done that on mine and I don't see any lag, but I don't have access to the HTC or LG to compare.

I can't stand Touchwiz either. I've popped Nova Launcher on mine and it gets rid of most of the Samsung poo. Just waiting on a Google version ROM to pop that one and the phone should fly.

Not to hand, but should do in the morning so long try that then.

I get what you're saying about Nova Launcher which I've used on every single Samsung phone since the S2 that I've tested and used. My problem with that is that it feels wrong to have to need to use a separate Launcher to make the S5 not suck out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gunnygirl

Perks of the job is that over the last month or two, I've used all three phones quite a lot for work and personal stuff.

Galaxy S5.

HTC One M8.
    Such a beautiful phone and deceptively light. The sound and picture quality are so above par it was amazing. The software did not lag once, even when I put it through heavy multitasking like swapping from Netflix to Angry Birds.
    Downside is that camera. Astonishing for low light photos, even if they are a bit blurry. Daytime photos with lots of light were sub par, with lots of image noise and no real sharpness.

Xperia Z2.
    The camera is exceptional. I mean it's incredible. Taking photos around Cork today was probably the best experience I've had with a smartphone camera since my first iPhone 3g sone 5 years ago.
    Software wise, it's not the most attractive but it runs very well and the ability to easily change them makes up for a lot.
    Aesthetically not as pleasing as the M8 because it feels more blackish despite being roughly the same size.

Going all in, I'd go with the Z2 at the moment. Battery rivals the M8, as does the software. Like I said, it's not as good looking but sure as he'll rubs wonderfully.

I really really recommend giving it a shot. And I say this as someone who has dismissed Sony phones for the last two years as massively sub par.

Is the camera on the htc that bad? Im not looking for professional photos but id like A good night setting on the camera inc flash. Is it anything like the Samsung s4?

My problem with that is that it feels wrong to have to need to use a separate Launcher to make the S5 not suck out loud.

:)
    Yeah it does. Still better than Touchwiz though.
    I popped a Google ROM onto an S4 last year and that made it into a much better phone. I know manufacturers and mobile phone companies want to lock you into their experiences and apps but I don't know anybody who uses the Samsung apps or the Vodafone apps that came with my phone.

Gunnygirl wrote: »
    Is the camera on the htc that bad? Im not looking for professional photos but id like A good night setting on the camera inc flash. Is it anything like the Samsung s4?

It's not bad, but it's simply not great and not on par with Samsung or Sony quality wise.

Low light photos is where the HTC really shines (har har), even without flash I got some great photos on nights out. Or at least, they were easier to see than ones taken on an iPhone 5s or Galaxy S5 with flash.

Camera wise I really really recommend the Xperia phones. If price is an issue then the Z1 Compact is probably the one for you. Same specs as a Z1 in a smaller frame, with the same camera.

• Advertisement

Would love to put all these phones into a melting pot and have a super duper phone :)

but unfortunately for now i'm sticking with old reliable iPhone until something savage hits the market :P..

the Samsung touch wiz and low storage is a no no .
    the htc m8 sh1t camera lets be honest.
    z2 is such an ugly looking phone savage camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gunnygirl

It's not bad, but it's simply not great and not on par with Samsung or Sony quality wise.

Low light photos is where the HTC really shines (har har), even without flash I got some great photos on nights out. Or at least, they were easier to see than ones taken on an iPhone 5s or Galaxy S5 with flash.

Camera wise I really really recommend the Xperia phones. If price is an issue then the Z1 Compact is probably the one for you. Same specs as a Z1 in a smaller frame, with the same camera.

Right ok...& what about day time pictures? Its the only thing stopping me from getting the htc. I want a decent camera nothing special. The galaxy s4 camera is very good. Price isnt a problem because I get it on upgrade just never considered anything other than the htc & samsung s5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Would love to put all these phones into a melting pot and have a super duper phone :)

but unfortunately for now i'm sticking with old reliable iPhone until something savage hits the market :P..

Eye of the beholder and all that but I think the Z2 is the best looking phone out of the lot. Admittedly it's a big bugger and due to its shape isn't as sleek but I always liked how it looked when seeing it in phone shops and I'm chuffed I have it. My OH has the M8 so I have a direct comparison too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

LG G3!? That is what I am holding out for after having all of the above but the S5!!

Galaxy S5.

HTC One M8.

Xperia Z2.

Thanks a mill for the review, it's great to hear from someone who has seen and used all 3 phones. My friend is getting the Z2 this weekend so I'll get to mess around with that and if I like it I reckon I'll be going with that alright :)

Just to back up the comments on the Z2's camera - it's brilliant. I had the S4 a few months ago and thought the camera on that was good, but it's not as good as the Z2. I also love the physical camera button. Another big mention for the battery too - I wouldn't be a particularly heavy user but I get 2 days out of each charge, which is just great.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Eye of the beholder and all that but I think the Z2 is the best looking phone out of the lot. Admittedly it's a big bugger and due to its shape isn't as sleek but I always liked how it looked when seeing it in phone shops and I'm chuffed I have it. My OH has the M8 so I have a direct comparison too.

How would you say the Z2 and M8 compare?
    Z2 all the way is it??
    I only have a few more days to go!

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    How would you say the Z2 and M8 compare?
    Z2 all the way is it??
    I only have a few more days to go!

I came from an S4 and really liked all it had to offer, but just didn't like the look or feel of the S5. I convinced the Mrs to go with the M8, partly because I knew she'd like it, but also because I wanted to see what it was like to use. It's a great phone - she went for the lighter silver model but I prefer the dark one. It's really smooth and a terrific looking device.

But I've always had a thing for the Z1/Z2 phones. I always thought they looked brilliant and really liked the glass back. It's not as easy to hold or keep in your pocket as the M8 due to its very angular shape, but I just love it. I thought I'd find the transition away from Samsung and Touchwiz (I actually liked it) difficult but tbh I'd find it difficult to go back now.

I know us Z2 owners harp on about the camera but it really is excellent and as I keep mentioning the physical camera button makes the thing feel like a real camera. The battery life is amazing too - without turning on Stamina or Low Power mode I'm getting 48 hours, which is brilliant.

Regardless of which handset you go for you'll love it - my Mrs adores her M8 and I can see why. I'm just delighted with the Z2 though - IMO it's as eye-catching and distinctive a device as the M8 and has all the speed, smoothness and features you need in a top class phone.

Hey can i ask what the internal storage is like on the z2 is it the same as the s4/s5 half taken up with bloatware ?

Hey can i ask what the internal storage is like on the z2 is it the same as the s4/s5 half taken up with bloatware ?

Mine had about 13GB of free space when I turned it on.

• Advertisement

jaysus that's not bad at all that's doable unlike the Samsung s4/s5 .

can you tell me are you liking the phone ? I'm tempted to make the jump from the iPhone .

SuprSi wrote: »
    I came from an S4 and really liked all it had to offer, but just didn't like the look or feel of the S5. I convinced the Mrs to go with the M8, partly because I knew she'd like it, but also because I wanted to see what it was like to use. It's a great phone - she went for the lighter silver model but I prefer the dark one. It's really smooth and a terrific looking device.

But I've always had a thing for the Z1/Z2 phones. I always thought they looked brilliant and really liked the glass back. It's not as easy to hold or keep in your pocket as the M8 due to its very angular shape, but I just love it. I thought I'd find the transition away from Samsung and Touchwiz (I actually liked it) difficult but tbh I'd find it difficult to go back now.

I know us Z2 owners harp on about the camera but it really is excellent and as I keep mentioning the physical camera button makes the thing feel like a real camera. The battery life is amazing too - without turning on Stamina or Low Power mode I'm getting 48 hours, which is brilliant.

Regardless of which handset you go for you'll love it - my Mrs adores her M8 and I can see why. I'm just delighted with the Z2 though - IMO it's as eye-catching and distinctive a device as the M8 and has all the speed, smoothness and features you need in a top class phone.

Cheers for the reply.
    I'll be coming from the S4 too. I think I will go for the Z2 alright, I have a couple holidays planned so need a decent camera so that is what is putting me off the M8.
    48 hours is brilliant!
    Thanks again :)

Guys sorry for asking here but can anyone tell me if this site is safe to buy from ? I'm looking to buy a new phone .

eGlobal Central

Today is the day guys!! I am going to get the Sony Xperia Z2!

Good luck, hopefully your experience is as positive as the rest of us Z2 owners!

Keep us up to date on what you think of it, as I am thinking of getting one myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

I went & bought an LG G2 today, .....just to stick 2 fingers up to the thread title :);)

I went & bought an LG G2 today, .....just to stick 2 fingers up to the thread title :);)

That's the only reason you bought it lol ?

What do you think of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If you wanted to do that you'd have bought a G3.

Instead you bought last years tech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

That's the only reason you bought it lol ?

What do you think of it ?

I'm waiting for delivery, personally I think it leaves the Samsungs for dead & shades the HTC. Can't comment on the Sony as I'm not familiar with it

Advertisement