Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S5 v HTC One M8 v Sony Xperia Z2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    The M8 is definitely the best looking phone!
    Lol I know. It's not like we're professional photographers and it's not like the camera can be THAT bad?!
    Aaahhh I want it now too!! I was Samsung yesterday and Sony earlier today lol!

Its a very good camera. Here's a thread with real shots taken by owners of the device.

Overall the Z2 has the best camera in Android land. The m8 probably has the most usable point and shoot type camera which works well in all situations while not necessarily being the best in any. Has incredibly fast shutter speed and camera app opening times which means you'll actually capture moments you might miss with the S5's slower sensor. It excell in low light / social scenes.

The S5's big advantage is in daylight photography / landscape photography and if you want crop photo's which is where the megapixel advantage comes into play. Ive cropped photo's twice in 3 years so really depends on your usage model. S5's low light is quite useless.
    timetogo wrote: »
    Here's a good site with some good comparison shots

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/samsung-galaxy-s5-camera-comparison-versus-htc-one-m8-iphone-5s/

You don't say why you think the M8 is far better.
    As for the child ui you can change the launcher in Android in about 1 minute. I use Nova. Always end up putting that on any device I use. I wish the manufacturers would just give us stock android.

No matter which one the op gets he'll get a great phone.

I considered the M8 too. I wanted to get it but the lack of removable battery (which in all honesty I'll probably never need to remove) and the lower spec camera (again that I'll probably never notice the difference between the shots) led to me passing it by. Dual sensors on a camera seems like messing about.

If you're buying the best phone you can, HTC doesn't feel like it to me. My first Android was a HTC. Now they seem to be cutting some small corners. It's entirely subjective though.

Last year they removed the option for microsd cards and turned that decision around. I bet next year they'll turn around their camera decision.

The m8 is delivering better battery life than the s5 and I wouldn't call the camera lower spec in some ways its a far bettor sensor. Apple still deliver a better photographic experience than both with a 8mp camera.

Most people would peg the m8 as the #1 right now but again that down to personal needs.

Your quite possibly right about the camera being decision being reversed, Dou cam seems very much like a stop gap. No point debating SD cards. Apple,Google and HTC are right here. Id much rather have a 32gb with no sdcard than 16 + sd cards. You cannot install apps on the removable storage and its far slower than internal memory. At the end of the day user experience diminishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

beno619 wrote: »
    Its a very good camera. Here's a thread with real shots taken by owners of the device.

Overall the Z2 has the best camera in Android land. The m8 probably has the most usable point and shoot type camera which works well in all situations while not necessarily being the best in any. Has incredibly fast shutter speed and camera app opening times which means you'll actually capture moments you might miss with the S5's slower sensor. It excell in low light / social scenes.

The S5's big advantage is in daylight photography / landscape photography and if you want crop photo's which is where the megapixel advantage comes into play. Ive cropped photo's twice in 3 years so really depends on your usage model. S5's low light is quite useless.

The m8 is delivering better battery life than the s5 and I wouldn't call the camera lower spec in some ways its a far bettor sensor. Apple still deliver a better photographic experience than both with a 8mp camera.

Most people would peg the m8 as the #1 right now but again that down to personal needs.

Your quite possibly right about the camera being decision being reversed, Dou cam seems very much like a stop gap. No point debating SD cards. Apple,Google and HTC are right here. Id much rather have a 32gb with no sdcard than 16 + sd cards. You cannot install apps on the removable storage and its far slower than internal memory. At the end of the day user experience diminishes.

I've a pile of android folders on my extSDcard (about 6gb). I've configured some to use that as their data storage (eg podcast apps).
    I know what you mean about it being slower. But for the apps I'm using on the card I don't see any slowdown. I'm sure on a slower phone this would be noticeable. A 64gb microsd is cheap ( about €40). Each 16 or 32gb increment on phones internal memory seems to cost €100.

For media, ext sd cards are more than fast enough for any media I've put on mine. To me I prefer a slight slowdown rather than run out of space or have to micro manage my media. That'd be a worse user experience to me.

I've a pile of android folders on my extSDcard. I've configured some to use that as their data storage (eg podcast apps). I know what you mean about it being slower. But for the apps I've using the card I don't see any slowdown. I'm sure on a slower phone this would be noticeable. A 64gb microsd is cheap. Each 16 or 32gb increment on phones internal memory seems to cost €100.

If you like to game you cannot put that data on the SD card. Read and Write speed to the SD card would be awful if you were to run more intensive apps off it. Its obviously handy for storing media.

beno619 wrote: »
    If you like to game you cannot put that data on the SD card. Read and Write speed to the SD card would be awful if you were to run more intensive apps off it. Its obviously handy for storing media.

Fair enough. I don't use mine for games.

Fair enough. I don't use mine for games.

Funny thing is neither do I, my app cataloge far exceeds what I could put on internal storage. Ideally we would get base 32gb models + sdcard's then everyone would be happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Does anyone know why Samsung never released the 32/64gb s4/s5 in Ireland and UK i mean 16gb internal storage =9 and 8.5 gb is a disgrace ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Does anyone know why Samsung never released the 32/64gb s4/s5 in Ireland and UK i mean 16gb internal storage =9 and 8.5 gb is a disgrace ?

Is there much point when you can add more yourself.

I'd guess it's the price. The phone is pricey enough without adding on €100 for an extra 16gb.

You can get a 64gb microsd card from Amazon for about €40.

Given the choice, which would you pay :P

Varik wrote: »
    Is there much point when you can add more yourself.

But what's the point if you can't move the apps to the sd card ?

I really think samsung fkd up on this .

I'd guess it's the price. The phone is pricey enough without adding on €100 for an extra 16gb.

You can get a 64gb microsd card from Amazon for about €40.

Given the choice, which would you pay :P

To be honest I'd pay the extra for the internal storage 32 or even better 64gb . As I said the internal memory on s4 is 9gb s5 8.5 gb . I mean let's get real here !

• Advertisement

To be honest I'd pay the extra for the internal storage 32 or even better 64gb . As I said the internal memory on s4 is 9gb s5 8.5 gb . I mean let's get real here !

You might but maybe enough wouldn't for it to be worthwhile for Samsung.
    I don't see why it couldn't be sold here though. Even if it wasn't in stock, I'm sure somebody who wanted the extra memory would wait for a few days while it came in.
    The Apple iPhone 5s 64gb is €899. To me, that's mental money. I wouldn't pay that for a phone, especially if I could put the media on an external card for €40. Apple don't give their users a choice though. They have to pay up if they want the space.

On mine, obviously I started out with 8.5g. After loading it up with all my apps I've 115 in total installed and have 4.2gb free. So it has more than enough for my needs. Gamers (like it was said in the post above, need more space). Gamers need to be rich so :)

You might but maybe enough wouldn't for it to be worthwhile for Samsung.
    I don't see why it couldn't be sold here though. Even if it wasn't in stock, I'm sure somebody who wanted the extra memory would wait for a few days while it came in.
    The Apple iPhone 5s 64gb is €899. To me, that's mental money. I wouldn't pay that for a phone, especially if I could put the media on an external card for €40. Apple don't give their users a choice though. They have to pay up if they want the space.

On mine, obviously I started out with 8.5g. After loading it up with all my apps I've 115 in total installed and have 4.2gb free. So it has more than enough for my needs. Gamers (like it was said in the post above, need more space). Gamers need to be rich so :)

85 apps that's not bad at all and still left with 4.5gb ? I mean I don't want to put down the samsung as I'd love one but would want a 32gb . I have iphone 5. 32gb and just counted there and have 109 apps and I'm using 8.2gb and I don't have any games on it ,so the s4/5 wouldn't cut it for me .

I feel like killing the makers of the htc one M8. They lost a golden opportunity to slap Samsung in the face! They made such an awesome device,did everything right with it(build,speakers,Sense UI,speed)but they end up sticking with that 4mp camera. I mean why the hell? You could've just thrown in a 10mp camera and nobody in this world would have thought of buying any other android device!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I feel like killing the makers of the htc one M8. They lost a golden opportunity to slap Samsung in the face! They made such an awesome device,did everything right with it(build,speakers,Sense UI,speed)but they end up sticking with that 4mp camera. I mean why the hell? You could've just thrown in a 10mp camera and nobody in this world would have thought of buying any other android device!

I have the M8 and as I don't have a camera otherwise I'm considering chopping it in for an S5 or more realistically a Z2. Thought it would be OK but it's not doing what I need it to and I'm actually quite surprised how much I miss a good camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ks44

I have the M8 and as I don't have a camera otherwise I'm considering chopping it in for an S5 or more realistically a Z2. Thought it would be OK but it's not doing what I need it to and I'm actually quite surprised how much I miss a good camera.

That was exactly the case with me. Swapped it for the Z2 and happy out!!

Is it that bad really what are you using it for if you don't mind me asking ? as id only want it for everyday general use .

i currently have the iPhone 5 and took two pic today with it using front and back camera one being 8mp other 1.2mp just to give me some perspective on the 4mp m8 camera .

see pic below
    #2 is 8mp
    #1 is 1.2

@ks44 whats the z2 like ?

@ks44 whats the z2 like ?

Yeah I really like it. However I do think it boils down to user preference. They're 3 great phones. I actually like the look of the Z2 the most. I really wanted the dust and waterproof as I'm in construction.
    The magnetic charging is great. No need to open up any ports.

cheers,

i remember it used to be so easy to choose a phone but now there's just so many out there i cant seem to make up my mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,883 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Did you buy the magnet port separately or did it come with the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The Z2 is a great phone. I've had mine for 3 weeks now and although it took some getting used to, I'm very fond of it now. Make no mistake though, it's a big bugger, even more so because of its rectangular shape. The S5 and M8 don't feel as big in my pocket as the Z2 as they are more curved.

The camera on the Z2 is absolutely brilliant. I had the S4 prior to this and find the Z2's camera an improvement on that. I also really, really like having a physical camera button. I'm getting great battery life out of it as well, usually around 1.5 days of average use.

I would highly recommend popping the demo model in store into your pocket just to see how it fits as although (dimension-wise) it's not much bigger than the other 2, it's the shape that makes it feel bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bwal

I also went from s4 .got the m8 had it a week,the volume buttons were fairly loose - sensitive and on the opposite side to the s4 so it was difficult to put it in my pocket without changing settings.i said I could over look this as I would probably get used to it.a few days later I noticed a crack on the lens so I sent the phone back.i got it replaced by the z2 which I am a lot happier with. the camera is a lot better and overall it seems better quality. I must say the only plus with the m8 is it does feel better in the hand.

flazio wrote: »
    Did you buy the magnet port separately or did it come with the phone?

No it doesn't come with the phone. I didn't get the port yet. You can just buy a cable off eBay with the magnetic end on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

But what's the point if you can't move the apps to the sd card ?

I really think samsung fkd up on this .

Thats android, not the manufacturers. Google no longer want to deal with sd cards, they want to move everything internal. they wont stop manufacturers including slots in their phones, but it doesnt mean they have to make android play nicely with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I've had mine for 2 weeks now and have a handful of my most used apps re-installed. 9.59gb available space according to my settings.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill really on the storage front. It's not prohibitive in any way. Unless you want to install a dozen or so large games on it you will not run into any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

cheers,

i remember it used to be so easy to choose a phone but now there's just so many out there i cant seem to make up my mind .

Don't forget the LG G3 ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

But why would i pay top end for a phone that i have to pick and choose apps judging by size of them. i mean now a days 9gb ain't worth jack .

i want the freedom to to download as many apps as i like without worrying how much storage i have left.

i bought the note 3, 32gb internal storage plus 64gb SD card .

big phone but i like it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey all,
    So I swapped my HTC One M8 today for a Samsung Galaxy S5 and rather stupidly never checked my SIM in it first!! Once I got back to the office I put my SIM in and I'm getting an INVALID IMEI message at the bottom of the status bar when you swipe down ;-( I'm gutted but it's my own fault as I never checked. I'm gonna try and flash a stock firmware with Odin and see what happens. I don't think the phone is IMEI blocked, I just think the EFS information may have been corrupted from someone messing with it. What do ye think?

Kies is not recognising the phone either which is not a good sign and my build number is something like KOT49H.G900SKSU1ANCE with the Kernel version being 3.4.5 shanghongqiang@shanghongquiang #1.....is there a chance this phone could be a Chinese copy!?

Needless to say I'm not a happy camper!!

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    So I swapped my HTC One M8 today for a Samsung Galaxy S5 and rather stupidly never checked my SIM in it first!! Once I got back to the office I put my SIM in and I'm getting an INVALID IMEI message at the bottom of the status bar when you swipe down ;-( I'm gutted but it's my own fault as I never checked. I'm gonna try and flash a stock firmware with Odin and see what happens. I don't think the phone is IMEI blocked, I just think the EFS information may have been corrupted from someone messing with it. What do ye think?

Kies is not recognising the phone either which is not a good sign and my build number is something like KOT49H.G900SKSU1ANCE with the Kernel version being 3.4.5 shanghongqiang@shanghongquiang #1.....is there a chance this phone could be a Chinese copy!?

Needless to say I'm not a happy camper!!

Thanks,
    M

Who did you swap it with?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Who did you swap it with?

A guys from Gumtree, I have his car registration but the phone number he used is now gone dead!! I have the IMEI of my HTC so if I can't get the Samsung working I'll be reporting mine as stolen and getting it IMEI bloacked!

Advertisement