Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Sky Sports GAA Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rebus2013

As long as sky don't clone ger canning for their coverage, they'll be fine.

More horrific rubbish yesterday

"A pin point clearance"... As limerick rushed clearance is milled 80 yards into the sky to land in group of 3 or 4 players

"Prior to 2013, Tipperary have to go back to 1998 to have only had 2 championship games in a season..but of course there was no back door then".

Only for co-commentator Michael Duignan to point out that not only was there a back door in 1998 but that he won an AI with Offaly via the back door that very year.

Canning on commentary is stain on the worlds best game.

I'm expecting sky use of technology and greater cameras (unless they must use Rte existing positions) to raise the bar to whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No
    Condenser wrote: »
    Its a month into the championship, they're either covering it or they're not. You don't get numbers without interest and you don't get interest without advertising and promotion. That's supposed to be Skys forte is it not?

Sky's promotion of events is all based around having live sport to show - SSN reports usually end with promotion of how you can see the next relevant live event on one of their channels. Up to now they can't do that for GAA so I'm not surprised that they haven't covered it much. That should change from this weekend onwards as they will have preview reports linking to their live hurling games. It will be another two weeks yet before they have football to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Undecided
    A lot of people in the UK have never heard of Gaelic Football or hurling. It would be difficult to justify wall to wall coverage which some seem to be expecting.

So the whole idea is that the GAA get to promote the games in Britain? Goal posts are moving rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Undecided
    A lot of people in the UK have never heard of Gaelic Football or hurling. It would be difficult to justify wall to wall coverage which some seem to be expecting.

Who mentioned wall to wall. Just an acknowledgement that games were played and their outcome would be a start. Its a joke at the moment.

The top brass bleated on about promotion and spreading the game when this was announced so shouldn't both them and Sky be asked questions when that's not happening?
    If they're not promoting the games then the coverage should have been left with TV3 seen as the money on offer was similar.

Rebus2013 wrote: »
    As long as sky don't clone ger canning for their coverage, they'll be fine.

More horrific rubbish yesterday

"A pin point clearance"... As limerick rushed clearance is milled 80 yards into the sky to land in group of 3 or 4 players

"Prior to 2013, Tipperary have to go back to 1998 to have only had 2 championship games in a season..but of course there was no back door then".

To be fair to Ger there was no back door for non provincial finalists back then. It took the form of the current minor championship.

But you have his famous pronunciations such as Peter 'Doggan', 'Doblin' 'The son is out' :D

Had a right laugh at the recent incident with Cody in the league final. He was so awkward about it.

'Er.....Brian Cody there' :D

Surprised they didnt cut to a picture of birds nesting in a tree or something just to save his embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why was he embarrassed about Cody?

Neeson wrote: »
    Why was he embarrassed about Cody?

Cody accidentally wandered into the Tipp dugout and one or two of the suits passed a smart remark. Cody went spare. Camera shone on it for a second on League Sunday and Ger didnt know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Undecided

Wasn't the whole point of this deal to promote the GAA to a new audience in the UK? It is becoming apparent that this isn't happening.

We are a few weeks into the Championship and had no highlights show and some clown on Sky Sports News who couldn't pronounce any names. That will really bring in the new viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

No
    lertsnim wrote: »
    Wasn't the whole point of this deal to promote the GAA to a new audience in the UK? It is becoming apparent that this isn't happening.

We are a few weeks into the Championship and had no highlights show and some clown on Sky Sports News who couldn't pronounce any names. That will really bring in the new viewers.

At least give it a chance. RTE have done nothing for the promotion of GAA their coverage is boring old bland, maybe just maybe Sky will change that but at least give them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No
    lertsnim wrote: »
    The point is that theres a new deal to bring more mainstream coverage to the UK through sky after no other broadcaster would touch it, a new deal for Australia throuh channel 7 and there was almost (according to rumours) a deal for the USA too.

Why? Because the international units (390 odd of them, almost double the 200 clubs in Connacht) asked for this more widespread coverage.
    Why is that useful? Well, you try getting a sponsor or new members for a club playing a sport which nobody has the faintest idea (and I mean TOTALLY clueless) about.

• Advertisement

Undecided
    The point is that theres a new deal to bring more mainstream coverage to the UK through sky after no other broadcaster would touch it, a new deal for Australia throuh channel 7 and there was almost (according to rumours) a deal for the USA too.

Why? Because the international units (390 odd of them, almost double the 200 clubs in Connacht) asked for this more widespread coverage.
    Why is that useful? Well, you try getting a sponsor or new members for a club playing a sport which nobody has the faintest idea (and I mean TOTALLY clueless) about.

And they still don't have the faintest idea because there isn't a mention on Sky. The only Sky ad I've seen for the KK offaly match has been on RTE. How is that promotion may I ask

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

No
    To be fair to Ger there was no back door for non provincial finalists back then. It took the form of the current minor championship.

Also, to be fair he might have been confused with the football, which switched a few years later.

No
    threeball wrote: »
    And they still don't have the faintest idea because there isn't a mention on Sky. The only Sky ad I've seen for the KK offaly match has been on RTE. How is that promotion may I ask
    the matches havent started on Sky yet.

And when they do, they'll get some coverage.
    Probably less than darts or the world cup, but probably more than fly fishing.

And some coverage is by definition infinitely more than no coverage.

But, the coverage hasnt started. Which seems to have escaped you.

Undecided
    the matches havent started on Sky yet.

And when they do, they'll get some coverage.
    Probably less than darts or the world cup, but probably more than fly fishing.

And some coverage is by definition infinitely more than no coverage.

But, the coverage hasnt started. Which seems to have escaped you.

You obviously haven't read any of my posts but I'll recap just to make it easier for you.
    Sky was brought on board for promotion, Sky haven't promoted, No promotion equals no additional viewership which was the supposed point of the deal or maybe that has escaped you.

Theres a match this week and still no mention, but maybe they'll chuck the score of the AI final on the ticker and you'll be happy.

Its amazing the sh1t that Irish people will accept and be grateful for. "That 6hrs of coverage on RTE was junk, but I saw Sky had a report on the more+ section of its website (rubs hands with glee at the international acceptance)"

No
    You obviously haven't read any of my posts but I'll recap just to make it easier for you.
    Sky was brought on board from promotion, Sky haven't promoted, No promotion equals no additional viewership which was the supposed point of the deal or maybe that has escaped you.
    <snip>
    sky are covering games live on a Saturday evening from now till August and then the final stretch to the finals themselves.

If the GAA games dont get a single mention on sky sports, then even showing 20 games across 10million homes is promotion enough

Undecided
    sky are covering games live on a Saturday evening from now till August and then the final stretch to the finals themselves.

If the GAA games dont get a single mention on sky sports, then even showing 20 games across 10million homes is promotion enough

What is the Sky Sports advertising like for British customers?

Not all 10million Sky Subscribers Subscribe to Sky Sports, maybe 5 to 6 million Sky don't release those figures.

Also it being on Sky Sports 3 will be a factor for UK customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Undecided
    Elmo wrote: »
    What is the Sky Sports advertising like for British customers?

Not all 10million Sky Subscribers Subscribe to Sky Sports, maybe 5 to 6 million Sky don't release those figures.

Also it being on Sky Sports 3 will be a factor for UK customers.

Market figures point to about 3 million SKY Sports subscribers in the UK,The majority of this would not have access to SKY Sports 3.

Are we right in saying the midweek highlights show will have no presenter, analysis and be on at 11pm at night on Sky Sports 3?

Undecided
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    Market figures point to about 3 million SKY Sports subscribers in the UK,The majority of this would not have access to SKY Sports 3.

I would have thought that on the low side. Why do the majority not have access to Sky Sports 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Are we right in saying the midweek highlights show will have no presenter, analysis and be on at 11pm at night on Sky Sports 3?

Can you explain how you figure "the majority" of UK Sky Sports subs do not have SS3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

No
    The only Sky ad I've seen for the KK offaly match has been on RTE. How is that promotion may I ask

Thats odd because for the last week, during most of the add breaks on sky sports news , theres an add for the match on Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

No
    I had no problem with the sky deal but if you sign up to broadcast a sport at least give it decent coverage. That should have been a stipulation put in place by the GAA in putting this deal together. What we have now is a situation where only RTE have any coverage, TV3 are no longer bothered so the great promotion of our games myth has actually resulted in less coverage of the games than anytime in the last 20yrs.

But why bother with the facts when you can throw out the big bad sky/english line to counter a viewpoint.

why bother with facts? well when you throw out a completely incorrect statment that this is the least coverage in 20 years?

or why bother with facts when you were spouting on they dont have results in the ticker, yet when pointed out you were incorrect, you wouldnt even acknowledge that.

Sky havent even started their coverage, yet people are slating them. Can we not at least let them give it a go? Its the same as when TV3 had coverage, people just moaned and moaned at their coverage, without letting them settle in and get things right.

RTE have had over 50 years covering GAA, and they are still useless, see last Sundays absolute shoddy excuse for a highlights program as a good example. Sky havent had one game yet, so why not give it a chance?

Undecided
    Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Thats odd because for the last week, during most of the add breaks on sky sports news , theres an add for the match on Saturday

Is this the Irish or UK opt out for advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

No
    Iv seen 2 different adds for it now on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Undecided
    Elmo wrote: »
    I would have thought that on the low side. Why do the majority not have access to Sky Sports 3?

In the UK with alot of providers like BT,Virgin etc.. you can buy SKY Sports 1 on it's own,This is by far the most popular choice as SKY sports 1 shows the majority of the prem lge games.

I think it's £17 a month or SS1 or £27 for all the sports channels,So you can see why its the most attractive and popular choice

No
    seeing as we are chatting about subscriber numbers, what does premier sports have ?

Undecided
    In the UK with alot of providers like BT,Virgin etc.. you can buy SKY Sports 1 on it's own,This is by far the most popular choice as SKY sports 1 shows the majority of the prem lge games.

I think it's £17 a month or SS1 or £27 for all the sports channels,So you can see why its the most attractive and popular choice

I think Sky would have more subscriptions in the UK than other pay operators by a good amount, Virgin has 3.4m subscribers there nearest competitor.

Undecided
    bruschi wrote: »
    why bother with facts? well when you throw out a completely incorrect statment that this is the least coverage in 20 years?

or why bother with facts when you were spouting on they dont have results in the ticker, yet when pointed out you were incorrect, you wouldnt even acknowledge that.

Sky havent even started their coverage, yet people are slating them. Can we not at least let them give it a go? Its the same as when TV3 had coverage, people just moaned and moaned at their coverage, without letting them settle in and get things right.

RTE have had over 50 years covering GAA, and they are still useless, see last Sundays absolute shoddy excuse for a highlights program as a good example. Sky havent had one game yet, so why not give it a chance?

When has coverage ever been less since the mid nineties? We used to get most matches covered, then it was split between RTE and TV3 and reduced in numbers but at least TV3 gave it some air time outside of the broadcast on a sat/sunday.

Now we have a situation where the rights holder doesn't even bother to acknowledge the game in any meaningful capacity until their game comes along and you can be damn sure that that's the only game that will get any acknowledgement.

If I have to sit through 5hrs of SSN to see the GAA scores flash across the ticker for 3mins then disappear its hardly anything to write home about.

I don't care that they haven't had a match yet. They bought the rights to a sport now give it at least a modicum of acknowledgement. This should have been part of the deal anyway. Look at the deal the UFC did with Fox, they insisted on highlight shows, preview shows, best of compilations, content content content, because they knew that meant more PPV for them. Yes its a totally commercial venture but the GAA should have insisted on some decent content and coverage if this deal was really about what they say it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I think they'll probably add that to their schedules next season, kind of in a pilot stage this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No

I would love to see some official stats to back that claim up.
    When has coverage ever been less since the mid nineties?

Last year actually - there were less games shown on all platforms last year than there will be this year meaning that coverage is up. There has been plenty of promotion of the games on Sky Sports - both during ad breaks and also twice during play in the Ireland v Turkey game as another example.

Some peoples' obvious bias against SKY is stopping them from fairly assessing the situation here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

No
    When has coverage ever been less since the mid nineties? We used to get most matches covered, then it was split between RTE and TV3 and reduced in numbers but at least TV3 gave it some air time outside of the broadcast on a sat/sunday.

Now we have a situation where the rights holder doesn't even bother to acknowledge the game in any meaningful capacity until their game comes along and you can be damn sure that that's the only game that will get any acknowledgement.

If I have to sit through 5hrs of SSN to see the GAA scores flash across the ticker for 3mins then disappear its hardly anything to write home about.

I don't care that they haven't had a match yet. They bought the rights to a sport now give it at least a modicum of acknowledgement. This should have been part of the deal anyway. Look at the deal the UFC did with Fox, they insisted on highlight shows, preview shows, best of compilations, content content content, because they knew that meant more PPV for them. Yes its a totally commercial venture but the GAA should have insisted on some decent content and coverage if this deal was really about what they say it was.

So since the mid 90s? How many games were shown live so in 1996, which was 18 years ago? Given that in total, there was 54 games combined in the hurling and football championships. Was there more than 49 games shown that year? Or more than the 31 Rte have this year?

And what did to do outside of their broadcast that was so wonderful?

So despite you being factually wrong that sky don't show it in their ticker, you know want to change the criteria and say you don't want to sit thru 5 hours to see it. No one said it was anything to write home about, you said it doesn't happen, but it does.

And what about being wrong that they are showing ads for it too? Is it a case that if you don't see it, then it doesn't count?

Your comparison with UFC is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Advertisement