Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Sky Sports GAA Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭TheClubMan

Undecided
    If Sky are known for their 'outstanding broadcasting' they shouldn't be making any mistakes at all. Joe Brolly is damn right to be incensed about the deal and there are many more like him. The topic should have been brought up at congress to begin with but instead the money-hungry dogs in Croke Park went ahead and did it on the sly because they knew it would not have been passed. I like others who don't have Sky will have to make my way to the pub etc. to watch the games which is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

No
    I can't believe Sky hired Nicky English :( It might be just me, but I thought he was brutal when commentating on matches for TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No
    TheClubMan wrote: »
    <snip>I like others who don't have Sky will have to make my way to the pub etc. to watch the games which is wrong.
    Indeed.
    And what about the cork Waterford replay, and cavan v armagh
    Oh, forgot.
    Those games aren't televised at all along with over 50% of the chamoionship - so it's not sky that is denying sofa fans from seeing their team, it's the games not being in tv at all

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Undecided
    Sky broadcasting hurling will do nothing for the image of the game. This is just another way of exploiting what are amateur players. Its about time The GAA payed the players for their service. After all every other sport on Sky is professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Sky broadcasting hurling will do nothing for the image of the game. This is just another way of exploiting what are amateur players. Its about time The GAA payed the players for their service. After all every other sport on Sky is professional.

Ok, suppose that the GAA do go and pay the players, how would they go about this?
    How is it feasible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Undecided
    Ok, suppose that the GAA do go and pay the players, how would they go about this?
    How is it feasible?

Depends on how much you expect to pay a player. Pay per game or season? At inter-county level or at club level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Elmo wrote: »
    Depends on how much you expect to pay a player. Pay per game or season? At inter-county level or at club level.

Most inter county panels would have 30 players and you would need a coaching staff or 3 or more to deal with this.

So if we say there are 33 people to be paid and they each get 30k per annum. It would cost a county 1 million per year in wages.

For football only the GAA would need to generate at least another €32 million in income per year in order for professionalism to be in any way feasible.

I'd be all for the games going professional if I thought it was sustainable but I can't see where the GAA could generate such huge sums off money in addition to what it already has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

No
    So if GAA players get paid I wonder will they be on Xs & Os in the social considering it will only be seasonal work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,575 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sky would have been jizzing themselves had they had the chance to show the Limerick Tipp hurling match today given how great a game it was.

Unfortunately their first game looks like a hiding. I think today's game would have been the best possible advertisement for hurling to a new audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Undecided
    The UK audience had access to today's game on Premier Sports. Personally I'm delighted the Munster hurling championship is on free tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Which provincial finals do Sky have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Undecided
    Wheres all this promotion and exposure that was promised with the sky deal.
    One month into the championship we've had most games end in nail biting finishes and so far i've seen one poxy match report video and written reports that arrive 3 days after the game ends.

Surely if you want to promote a product you're about to launch you should create a bit of curiosity about it first by at least giving a roundup on SSN on sunday evenings, it takes 5 mins.

The writing is on the wall for how this deal will pan out.

Undecided
    Sky would have been jizzing themselves had they had the chance to show the Limerick Tipp hurling match today given how great a game it was.

Unfortunately their first game looks like a hiding. I think today's game would have been the best possible advertisement for hurling to a new audience.

Couldn't be bothered to even give the score on their ticker on SSN. You'd need to employ an investigative journalist to find any GAA on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

threeball wrote: »
    Wheres all this promotion and exposure that was promised with the sky deal.
    One month into the championship we've had most games end in nail biting finishes and so far i've seen one poxy match report video and written reports that arrive 3 days after the game ends.

Surely if you want to promote a product you're about to launch you should create a bit of curiosity about it first by at least giving a roundup on SSN on sunday evenings, it takes 5 mins.

There was no rational expectation of 5 minute roundups on Sky Sports News.
    Do people not notice the massive amount of sports they show live over their 4 stations that never get as much as a 60 second roundup on SSN?
    Quite why people thought Sky were going to automatically elevate it over those sports is baffling.
    It'll be there live for its 15 games, if it proves itself as a viewer/advertisement attraction for a new audience then it'll get slots on SSN.

Undecided
    There was no rational expectation of 5 minute roundups on Sky Sports News.
    Do people not notice the massive amount of sports they show live over their 4 stations that never get as much as a 60 second roundup on SSN?
    Quite why people thought Sky were going to automatically elevate it over those sports is baffling.
    It'll be there live for its 15 games, if it proves itself as a viewer/advertisement attraction for a new audience then it'll get slots on SSN.

Too difficult to even announce the scores is it, not even on the ticker. They relay the same news for hours on end ad nauseum. Surely a bit of additional content would be welcome??

You cannot expect the games to self promote where there is no awareness outside of the diaspora so your viewer/advertisement argument doesn't really make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

No
    Too difficult to even announce the scores is it, not even on the ticker. They relay the same news for hours on end ad nauseum. Surely a bit of additional content would be welcome??

You cannot expect the games to self promote where there is no awareness outside of the diaspora so your viewer/advertisement argument doesn't really make sense.

In fairness there could have been something in the agreement preventing this, I'd imagine it would at least be on the ticker otherwise.

Scores do appear on the ticker.

Undecided
    Scores do appear on the ticker.

When, I've flicked in and out every sunday evening since the start of the champo to see what coverage is been given if any and I've not seen one mention bar the Down Tyrone match report, then nothing. And people I've talked to say the same.

When, I've flicked in and out every sunday evening since the start of the champo to see what coverage is been given if any and I've not seen one mention bar the Down Tyrone match report, then nothing. And people I've talked to say the same.

Today the score from The Limerick Tipp football match was up on the ticker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

No
    Today the score from The Limerick Tipp football match was up on the ticker.

Stop using facts to disprove his theory that the big bad British Sky is evil and we should all stay at home listening to Pat Spillane and Joe Brolly for 6 hours every Sunday.

Sky showing GAA is the best thing to ever happen to the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Undecided
    LeeJM wrote: »
    Stop using facts to disprove his theory that the big bad British Sky is evil and we should all stay at home listening to Pat Spillane and Joe Brolly for 6 hours every Sunday.

British Sky Broadcasting just to be correct.

I think it is funny how a poll in the Indo point to lack of coverage on RTÉ for GAA Leagues during the year, yet no mention of the lack of GAA coverage on Sky Sports for the last 23 years.

Undecided
    LeeJM wrote: »

I had no problem with the sky deal but if you sign up to broadcast a sport at least give it decent coverage. That should have been a stipulation put in place by the GAA in putting this deal together. What we have now is a situation where only RTE have any coverage, TV3 are no longer bothered so the great promotion of our games myth has actually resulted in less coverage of the games than anytime in the last 20yrs.

But why bother with the facts when you can throw out the big bad sky/english line to counter a viewpoint.

I had no problem with the sky deal but if you sign up to broadcast a sport at least give it decent coverage. That should have been a stipulation put in place by the GAA in putting this deal together. What we have now is a situation where only RTE have any coverage, TV3 are no longer bothered so the great promotion of our games myth has actually resulted in less coverage of the games than anytime in the last 20yrs.

But why bother with the facts when you can throw out the big bad sky/english line to counter a viewpoint.

RTE have the majority of the coverage and so any lack of coverage is in the main their fault.

They haven't even bothered launching their midweek review programme yet.

And they don't seem to give much GAA coverage in their sports news bulletins either.

I wasn't really in favour of the games being sold to sky as I think they shouldn't be on a subscription channel, however considering RTE's resources and they're generally poor coverage of GAA on RTE I'm delighted the GAA have explored other options however sadly due to RTE's arrogance I doubt it will result in them upping their standards which is what I believe the GAA were in part hoping for with this sky deal.

Undecided
    RTE have the majority of the coverage and so any lack of coverage is in the main their fault.

They haven't even bothered launching their midweek review programme yet.

And they don't seem to give much GAA coverage in their sports news bulletins either.

I wasn't really in favour of the games being sold to sky as I think they shouldn't be on a subscription channel, however considering RTE's resources and they're generally poor coverage of GAA on RTE I'm delighted the GAA have explored other options however sadly due to RTE's arrogance I doubt it will result in them upping their standards which is what I believe the GAA were in part hoping for with this sky deal.

why would they up their game when theres nothing to compete against? You don't just change your ways when there is no threat from elsewhere. They have to compete against other broadcasters in the rugby and soccer so throw resources at that. Sky despite their billions and 4 channels dedicated to sport have been a no mark and by all indications will remain so. A useless deal for both the gaa and the supporters.

if I was in croke park I'd be ringing up and letting them know that if there wasn't an improvement rapidly they wouldnt be considered next time round. Im sure there has to be a get out clause if this year continues as is.

no point in having your product in tesco if they keep it in the store room out the back.

Undecided
    When is the Sky highlights show?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No
    lertsnim wrote: »
    When is the Sky highlights show?
    looks like its stating Wednesday week, the 11th June at 11pm
    http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cxc5ch/gaa-round-up--11062014

Undecided
    So they are only bothering with highlights on the week that they show a live game and then throw it on at 11pm? Great way to get the games to a bigger audience.

I'm not a bit surprised by their lack of commitment. This is only cheap filler for them after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No
    if I was in croke park I'd be ringing up and letting them know that if there wasn't an improvement rapidly they wouldnt be considered next time round. Im sure there has to be a get out clause if this year continues as is.

What - before their live coverage has even started? Lets at least given them a chance to start their programming before we judge them...

They're doing a two and a half hour live show for one game on Saturday night which seems very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Undecided
    What - before their live coverage has even started? Lets at least given them a chance to start their programming before we judge them...

They're doing a two and a half hour live show for one game on Saturday night which seems very decent.

Its a month into the championship, they're either covering it or they're not. You don't get numbers without interest and you don't get interest without advertising and promotion. That's supposed to be Skys forte is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,575 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A lot of people in the UK have never heard of Gaelic Football or hurling. It would be difficult to justify wall to wall coverage which some seem to be expecting.

Advertisement