Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Sky Sports GAA Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

GAA was on the Sky Sports new ticker on the bottom of the screen last night and its ahead of Gymnastics in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No
    are the GAA results/ highlights also on the sports reports on normal Sky News- which is recently now "presented" by sky sports news in that format with tickers/ tables all over the place?

I'd look at it myself but Sky news on my cable network is only from (irish time) 5am to 5pm, so didnt get to see any potential coverage yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

No
    are the GAA results/ highlights also on the sports reports on normal Sky News- which is recently now "presented" by sky sports news in that format with tickers/ tables all over the place?

I'd look at it myself but Sky news on my cable network is only from (irish time) 5am to 5pm, so didnt get to see any potential coverage yesterday evening.

Not sure what you mean but they've had plenty of articles up on heir site about the GAA despite their coverage not beginning for another 2 weeks I think. http://www1.skysports.com/gaa/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

these couple of clips are a pretty reasonable start I think, a few little mistakes but they are minor enough really. Its good to see them explaining things to a new audience. Also we can have a summer giggling at mispronunciations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No
    The advertising has kicked into gear this morning. A number of ads on DART stations this morning for their coverage.

• Advertisement

No
    iDave wrote: »
    The advertising has kicked into gear this morning. A number of ads on DART stations this morning for their coverage.

They really mean business by the looks of it. Can't wait to see them cover hurling. If their excitement for the football is anything to go by it should be epic!

No
    RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean but they've had plenty of articles up on heir site about the GAA despite their coverage not beginning for another 2 weeks I think. http://www1.skysports.com/gaa/
    cant access sky sports clips from abroad, and sky sports news isnt available abroad either unless you have a sky account.

BUT sky news is available abroad and is on many cable networks, and they have half hour sports bulletins on Saturday and sunday evenings in a sky sports format ("presented by sky sports" or the like) so I was just wondering if these GAA highlights will be in homes worldwide on regular (news) sky news.

No
    cant access sky sports clips from abroad, and sky sports news isnt available abroad either unless you have a sky account.

BUT sky news is available abroad and is on many cable networks, and they have half hour sports bulletins on Saturday and sunday evenings in a sky sports format ("presented by sky sports" or the like) so I was just wondering if these GAA highlights will be in homes worldwide on regular (news) sky news.

I'm not 100% sure but I doubt. Thought they only had the UK rights? They set up the GAAGO app for people like you. €110 for 45 championship matches or €10 per individual match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

No
    iDave wrote: »

They are announcing presenter and panelists today so they will probably kick the advertising up a notch his week.

No
    statto25 wrote: »
    They are announcing presenter and panelists today so the will probably kick the advertising up a notch his week.

Have you any idea what time they will announce it? Their Twitter account has close to 20k followers already and that's decent considering they haven't ramped up promotion or begun live coverage yet.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsGAA

• Advertisement

No
    Have you any idea what time they will announce it? Their Twitter account has close to 20k followers already and that's decent considering they haven't ramped up promotion or begun live coverage yet.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsGAA

No idea I just seen a tweet this morning from an Irish media source saying they would announce the team this morning. The Irish Examiner has an article online this morning saying that a lot of the TV3 panelists will be used by Sky.

No
    I'm not 100% sure but I doubt. Thought they only had the UK rights? They set up the GAAGO app for people like you. €110 for 45 championship matches or €10 per individual match.
    sky news international has 100% the same content as what you see in Ireland, the only difference ever being that they show different adverts and fill the rest of the breaks with small news articles, similar to RTE news now when theres an ad break in a live Prime Time programme.

So literally everything from International Rugby to Premiership soccer, la liga, cricket is shown with highlights, which is middling substantial on the 30minute sports slot. To have GAA would be nice, and I'd actually expect it once the soccer season is over.

And its got a fairly big reach!
    Sky News already reaches over 90 million homes worldwide, so getting a little GAA in there would be a big plus!
    http://www.skynewsinternational.com/carry

No
    statto25 wrote: »
    No idea I just seen a tweet this morning from an Irish media source saying they would announce the team this morning. The Irish Examiner has an article online this morning saying that a lot of the TV3 panelists will be used by Sky.

the examiner said they will announce it at a press conference in croke park later today.

No
    sky news international has 100% the same content as what you see in Ireland, the only difference ever being that they show different adverts and fill the rest of the breaks with small news articles, similar to RTE news now when theres an ad break in a live Prime Time programme.

So literally everything from International Rugby to Premiership soccer, la liga, cricket is shown with highlights, which is middling substantial on the 30minute sports slot. To have GAA would be nice, and I'd actually expect it once the soccer season is over.

And its got a fairly big reach!
    Sky News already reaches over 90 million homes worldwide, so getting a little GAA in there would be a big plus!
    http://www.skynewsinternational.com/carry

I'd imagine they will give it a few mentions when they cover a big game live. SO I can definitely see the hurling and football finals getting a bit of time and some of the bigger matches before!

No
    Fairly predictable lineup bar Brian Carney. Does he have a GAA background?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/no-paul-galvin-on-sky-s-gaa-team-1.1801367

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

No
    oh it might aswell be tv3's coverage. terrible commentators. very disappointed.

No
    Don't think anyone predicted Brian Carney. Its just an anchor role so don't expect any analysis from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Aw. No Matt Cooper.
    Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I'm interested to see what Sky will do in regards to mid week content.

I hope they get this midweek highlights show up and running and a simple debate showing previewing all the weekends upcoming action would be nice.

Also, I presume they will show reruns of previous All-Ireland or the like to give the UK public a taste of what to expect ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Nothing to get excited about with that line up very bland was hoping for some recently retired players to be involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

No
    I'm interested to see what Sky will do in regards to mid week content.

I hope they get this midweek highlights show up and running and a simple debate showing previewing all the weekends upcoming action would be nice.

Also, I presume they will show reruns of previous All-Ireland or the like to give the UK public a taste of what to expect ?

The mid week show will not be a debate but a highlights package. Personally I prefer this as you can just sit down and watch all the highlights without any interruption between them.

The panel was announced and have to say I think it's alright. Rachel on the panel is a big plus I must say. Can't beat a bit of glamour!

No
    nm wrote: »

cheers. I added that to the opening post!

No
    a wee bit of further info coming out after the press conference yesterday
    Sky's match coverage will last for around three hours and is expected to be broadcast mostly on Sky Sports 3. A highlights package will be shown on Wednesday night but will not initially contain analysis and will use commentaries from RTE for matches Sky haven't covered live themselves.

Smith, who has worked with Sky Sports for 20 years, estimated that they may add up to seven extra cameras to the "12 or 13" that may already be used on big match days by the host broadcasters to give an extra edge.

All the analysis will be done 'on site' at the venues where the matches are being played.

It is planned to position the main cameras for the Nowlan Park opener in a way that will cut out the view of the stand which is still roofless after the violent storm that damaged it so badly in February.

Smith also stressed that they would not be "dumbing down" their coverage to cater for UK viewers who may not be familiar with the product.

He estimated that Sky Sports News has a regular audience of two million viewers but the number of Sky subscribers in the UK is thought to be over 10 million.

Giving a "greater insight" into the modern game will be a priority, he stressed.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/sky-play-it-safe-with-bigname-analysts-30287224.html

and an article in the Irish times which deals more with how the games will be analysed
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/sky-sports-show-they-mean-business-with-gaa-coverage-1.1801857?page=1

and the examiner, which is more a summary of the more lengthy articles in the other 2 papers
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/sky-sets-high-bar-for-gaa-coverage-269238.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Undecided

All the analysis will be done 'on site' at the venues where the matches are being played.

This is gonna be TV3 all over again..Cant wait to see what Sky think of interviews like this

No
    Prop Joe wrote: »

This is gonna be TV3 all over again..Cant wait to see what Sky think of interviews like this
    not sure.
    Dont BBC bring a wee portacabin with a window with them for the analysis?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    Brian Carney said yesterday that they will have temporary studios and won't be on the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Undecided
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Brian Carney said yesterday that they will have temporary studios and won't be on the sideline.

That's a good job,Analysis on the sideline don't really do it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    That's a good job,Analysis on the sideline don't really do it for me

Yeah totally agree. Also Canavan was talkin yesterday about being able to us the Sky technology to help analyse games which will presumably need more of a studio set up. Maybe they'll put together some sort of roadcaster effort. Bè interesting to see.

Advertisement