Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Sky Sports GAA Thread!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

No
    iDave wrote: »
    Its everywhere

Thats pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Undecided
    Its everywhere

No it's not !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    No it's not !

OK sorry I'll correct myself for your benefit.

Its available everywhere Sky broadcasts to whoever has signed up to their subscription :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

No
    OK sorry I'll correct myself for your benefit.

Its available everywhere Sky broadcasts to whoever has signed up to their subscription :rolleyes:

thats what i was meaning. as in a person from england with a sky subscription could watch the match on saturday

Undecided
    The GAA games Sky are showing are available in the UK & Ireland only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

No
    Roquentin wrote: »
    thats what i was meaning. as in a person from england with a sky subscription could watch the match on saturday

yes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Undecided
    Hopefully Sky News will actually give results of matches - but was this mentioned as part of the deal?
    I think it is pathetic that they never even mention it, especially the All Ireland final and semis in both codes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Brian017

Yes. Regional blackouts is not Sky's style

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

No
    petronius wrote: »
    Hopefully Sky News will actually give results of matches - but was this mentioned as part of the deal?
    I think it is pathetic that they never even mention it, especially the All Ireland final and semis in both codes

i've seen them scrolling accross their screen. once there coverage start they will prob have a bit on the games like they do in other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

threeball wrote: »
    From reading the reviews in the play store the option of watching through the Sky Sports TV app for €12.99 isn't a runner either as the service constantly drops or freezes. Very few positive remarks about it on there. I'm sure there was plenty hoping that this would be a reasonably cost effective way of watching the games

Use this app, got it when it was 5.49 per month. They kept me at that price. :)

Sometimes it's unreliable but in my experience that's mostly been big premiership matches e.g man city Liverpool.
    If you're smart and start the stream a half hour or so early it's not really an issue. Most of the time though you can load any stream you wish. Just remember it's best to avoid logging in where there's heavy loads. And also safest to start streams well before actual event start.

I'd doubt for gaa this still be much of an issue. Just check in case there's some other big event being broadcasted at the same time.

Most of the time, I have no issues and no need for premature log ins.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

The GAA games Sky are showing are available in the UK & Ireland only

Why would they be elsewhere? They're the only regions that they broadcast to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No
    petronius wrote: »

For some reason they showed highlights of New York/Mayo and Tyrone/Down but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Undecided
    Brian017 wrote: »
    Why would they be elsewhere? They're the only regions that they broadcast to

Some people bring Sky subscriptions to Spain. Isn't that the whole issue of a publican in England using a Greek station for FA coverage.

Undecided
    "It's everywhere" was the answer that was given,GAAGO broadcasts worldwide and the Australian & U.S tv deals are separate from SKY

Undecided
    "It's everywhere" was the answer that was given,GAAGO broadcasts worldwide and the Australian & U.S tv deals are separate from SKY

What's the US Deal?

Undecided
    Elmo wrote: »
    What's the US Deal?

Premium Sports have the rights to the U.S market through commercial premises

Has anyone any info on the midweek Gaa Show SKY are showing?

Premium Sports have the rights to the U.S market through commercial premises

Has anyone any info on the midweek Gaa Show SKY are showing?

According to the EPG its on Wed night at 11 for a hour

Undecided
    According to the EPG its on Wed night at 11 for a hour

not exactly prime time !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No
    Wow some of the comments on this thread are so silly it's on real.

Who gives an actual flying f**K about the sky sports ticker? Sky sports news is one extended ad for premier league soccer.

And no Sky were not brought on board for promotion of the games, they were brought on board because they paid for the rights to the games. As long as they show the games they are holding their end of the bargain.

Sky haven't shown a single game yet, what exactly are people expecting them to do? Show highlights of games they don't have rights to?

At least Sky will show the games they have paid for, someone please point me to the channel where RTE are showing Cork v Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Undecided
    harpsman wrote: »
    First explain to me why theres only one winner and its not the gaa and the viewers,then ill take you through it.

Taking games that were freely available to Irish viewers and putting them exclusively behind a paywall is how viewers don't win.

Sky's coverage so far has been pathetic and now that they will bother to show a highlights programme they shove it into the schedules late at night and that's how the GAA don't win.

Sky get subscription money and that is how they win.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »

At least Sky will show the games they have paid for, someone please point me to the channel where RTE are showing Cork v Waterford.
    So will RTE. They paid for 33 games and they will show them all. Waterford vs Cork was one of these 33 games and they showed it. The replay is being streamed online as they had already planned to show 2 other games on that day from the start of the summer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No
    lertsnim wrote: »
    Taking games that were freely available to Irish viewers and putting them exclusively behind a paywall is how viewers don't win.

Sky's coverage so far has been pathetic and now that they will bother to show a highlights programme they shove it into the schedules late at night and that's how the GAA don't win.

Sky haven't had any coverage so far. The first game they have rights to is tomorrow.

No
    So will RTE. They paid for 33 games and they will show them all. Waterford vs Cork was one of these 33 games and they showed it. The replay is being streamed online as they had already planned to show 2 other games on that day from the start of the summer

If only there were a broadcaster with 3 or 4 dedicated sports channels so we could watch at a decent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Undecided
    adrian522 wrote: »

Do you expect RTÉ to drop the Dublin v Laois game they are scheduled to be showing at this time? The GAA should have scheduled the game for Saturday afternoon. Blaming RTÉ is ridiculous.

No
    They could have given it to Sky, they could have played it on some other day. A bad quality strea is not much good to anybody. But God forbid it would interrupt Dublin v Laois or whatever is on.

Don't see any reason why it couldn't have been played last weekend.

I'm not really getting all the anti-sky rants in this thread. They haven't even shown their first match.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

No
    lertsnim wrote: »

I'm sure the highlights show will get an earlier slot when the Wednesday schedule isn't so full across the channels with sports that will be more important because they're proven staples alreaedy, but even then it's still being shown three times and will presumably get a week on show in the featured area of the Catch Up service, if Sky have such rights.

I've already seen the live game well promoted when fast-forwarding through the ads on the various channels all week, then the highlights show will be well promoted through the live game, probably at least 3 or 4 times if not more going by likely comparable coverage with American football and so on.

Add in a regular routine of GAA highlights taking up 3-4 slots over a 18 hour period every Wednesday/Thursday, that it may be noticed by those browsing the EPG and there is plenty of scope for GAA building a Sky following, even more so when Sky Sports News probably gets more regular features hitting the end of the summer.

Undecided
    Racket wrote: »
    I've already seen the live game well promoted when fast-forwarding through the ads on the various channels all week, then the highlights show will be well promoted through the live game, probably at least 3 or 4 times if not more going by likely comparable coverage with American football and so on.

Are you watching in Britain or Northern Ireland?

No
    Are you watching in Britain or Northern Ireland?

Neither.

Undecided
    Racket wrote: »
    Neither.

You getting the same ad break/promos?

• Advertisement

No
    You getting the same ad break/promos?

Yes. Have the HD pack, only two of the Sky branded HD channels have Irish ad versions. With watching a lot of the hockey world cup this week on 3 HD, there have been ads each day.

Advertisement