Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Sky Sports GAA Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Undecided
    I would love to see some official stats to back that claim up.

Last year actually - there were less games shown on all platforms last year than there will be this year meaning that coverage is up. There has been plenty of promotion of the games on Sky Sports - both during ad breaks and also twice during play in the Ireland v Turkey game as another example.

Some peoples' obvious bias against SKY is stopping them from fairly assessing the situation here.

I have no bias against Sky, I'd love to see them do the sport justice but I see no evidence so far. Its just looking for a bad deal for everyone bar Sky. How is anything I've said unfair on them. If they didn't bother their arse covering the European rugby next year cos BT had the first few games there'd be up roar but we just suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Undecided
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think they'll probably add that to their schedules next season, kind of in a pilot stage this season.

Why would you buy a product for 3 years and have the first year as a pilot. 3 years is medium term at the very least.
    There has been plenty of promotion of the games on Sky Sports - both during ad breaks and also twice during play in the Ireland v Turkey game as another example.

Are you watching an Irish Opt-Out advertising feed, what is the feed like for UK subscribers?

Was GAA mentioned during the Ireland game or at the ad break?

In relation to Sky Subscribers

10 million homes in the UK and Ireland have Sky
    of them about 6million have a Sky Sports sub, this is an estimate someone else is suggesting 3million, I think that is on the low side.
    A further 6 million homes in the UK have some form of Pay TV (BT/Virgin)
    I'd say 2million have some form of Premium sports, some with and some without Sky Sports 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Undecided
    Elmo wrote: »
    10 million homes in the UK and Ireland have Sky
    of them about 6million have a Sky Sports sub, this is an estimate someone else is suggesting 3million, I think that is on the low side.
    A further 6 million homes in the UK have some form of Pay TV (BT/Virgin)
    I'd say 2million have some form of Premium sports, some with and some without Sky Sports 3

Article from The Gaurdian last year

Manchester United's controversial 3-2 win over Chelsea proved more popular than ITV1 on Sunday afternoon, with a peak audience of more than 3 million viewers on Sky Sports 1.

The second part of a live Premier League football double bill, the Sky Sports channel averaged 2.12 million viewers, an 11.6% share of the audience, between 3.30pm and 7pm on Sunday, with a five-minute peak of 3.18 million, for the top-of-the-table clash.

This put Sky Sports 1 ahead of ITV1 for large chunks of Sunday afternoon, when 900,000 viewers watched The Home of Fabulous Cakes between 4.10pm and 5.10pm, and 1.5 million saw a rapid Downton Abbey repeat between 5.10pm and 6.10pm.

The first match of the afternoon, Everton's 2-2 draw with Liverpool, averaged 1.77 million (13.7%) between 1pm and 3.30pm, peaking with 2.53 million.

Undecided
    bruschi wrote: »
    So since the mid 90s? How many games were shown live so in 1996, which was 18 years ago? Given that in total, there was 54 games combined in the hurling and football championships. Was there more than 49 games shown that year? Or more than the 31 Rte have this year?

And what did to do outside of their broadcast that was so wonderful?

So despite you being factually wrong that sky don't show it in their ticker, you know want to change the criteria and say you don't want to sit thru 5 hours to see it. No one said it was anything to write home about, you said it doesn't happen, but it does.

And what about being wrong that they are showing ads for it too? Is it a case that if you don't see it, then it doesn't count?

Your comparison with UFC is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Theres no point in even getting into a conversation with you on this. You're the type that if we were discussing a match and I mentioned a penalty decision in the 50th minute you'd say it was the 52nd so my point was irrelevant. All you've done is come back nit picking at bull such as ticker scores which are here and gone so quickly you'd have to live on SSN to notice them.

You're obviously quite happy with crap whereas I'm not.

Undecided
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    Article from The Gaurdian last year

Manchester United's controversial 3-2 win over Chelsea proved more popular than ITV1 on Sunday afternoon, with a peak audience of more than 3 million viewers on Sky Sports 1.

The second part of a live Premier League football double bill, the Sky Sports channel averaged 2.12 million viewers, an 11.6% share of the audience, between 3.30pm and 7pm on Sunday, with a five-minute peak of 3.18 million, for the top-of-the-table clash.

This put Sky Sports 1 ahead of ITV1 for large chunks of Sunday afternoon, when 900,000 viewers watched The Home of Fabulous Cakes between 4.10pm and 5.10pm, and 1.5 million saw a rapid Downton Abbey repeat between 5.10pm and 6.10pm.

The first match of the afternoon, Everton's 2-2 draw with Liverpool, averaged 1.77 million (13.7%) between 1pm and 3.30pm, peaking with 2.53 million.

10 million households would equate to about 26 million people or about 10 million people have access to Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

No
    threeball wrote: »
    Theres no point in even getting into a conversation with you on this. You're the type that if we were discussing a match and I mentioned a penalty decision in the 50th minute you'd say it was the 52nd so my point was irrelevant. All you've done is come back nit picking at bull such as ticker scores which are here and gone so quickly you'd have to live on SSN to notice them.

You're obviously quite happy with crap whereas I'm not.

yeah, I'm nitpicking because what you say as fact, isnt actually fact at all.

You first came on and said it wasnt on the ticker. It was. You then said it wasnt being advertised. It is. You then said there is less coverage now than there has been for the last 20 years. There isnt.

What exactly is your point then?

And how am I happy with crap by pointing out that your facts are nothing of the sort?

Undecided
    yeah, I'm nitpicking because what you say as fact, isnt actually fact at all.

You first came on and said it wasnt on the ticker. It was. You then said it wasnt being advertised. It is. You then said there is less coverage now than there has been for the last 20 years. There isnt.

What exactly is your point then?

And how am I happy with crap by pointing out that your facts are nothing of the sort?

Where did I state they were fact?

Do I have to watch SSN 24/7 in order to see the scores or should I be able to see them on a sunday evening if I watch the 7/8pm bulletin.

Maybe I should go back and check every single game covered in 20yrs, maybe it was 15yrs, so what!

If you bothered to read the posts besides nitpicking then you'd see that i'm not happy with the coverage being given seen as it was sold as promotion. You seem to be quite happy to forage for the minute coverage being given but it took 3 posters to point out 3 different bits of promotion.
    I've stated that its an unacceptable level of coverage for a deal based on promoting our games but that point seems to be lost on you.

No
    Where did I state they were fact?

Do I have to watch SSN 24/7 in order to see the scores or should I be able to see them on a sunday evening if I watch the 7/8pm bulletin.

Maybe I should go back and check every single game covered in 20yrs, maybe it was 15yrs, so what!

If you bothered to read the posts besides nitpicking then you'd see that i'm not happy with the coverage being given seen as it was sold as promotion. You seem to be quite happy to forage for the minute coverage being given but it took 3 posters to point out 3 different bits of promotion.
    I've stated that its an unacceptable level of coverage for a deal based on promoting our games but that point seems to be lost on you.

going no where here. coverage of games now is at one of, if not the highest, points ever. so even 15 years ago (1999, when qualifiers were still not at the same level as now) paled significantly to what is being shown now.

you say you are unhappy at their coverage. and 3 posters pointed out to you that you were wrong in what you wanted to see as they were already doing it. If you want more again, then so be it. I never said I was happy. I said I was waiting to see what they do and am giving it a chance. I'm not going crazy at their levels of coverage when they havent even started going yet.

so whats acceptable coverage for you to be happy? given that its a brand new sport for them to be showing based in a country that doesnt have the games indigenous to them.

Undecided
    going no where here. coverage of games now is at one of, if not the highest, points ever. so even 15 years ago (1999, when qualifiers were still not at the same level as now) paled significantly to what is being shown now.

you say you are unhappy at their coverage. and 3 posters pointed out to you that you were wrong in what you wanted to see as they were already doing it. If you want more again, then so be it. I never said I was happy. I said I was waiting to see what they do and am giving it a chance. I'm not going crazy at their levels of coverage when they havent even started going yet.

so whats acceptable coverage for you to be happy? given that its a brand new sport for them to be showing based in a country that doesnt have the games indigenous to them.

At the moment I'd be happy with a round up on the Sunday evening in at least one of the two main bulletins. It'd take 2 mins, have the scores on the ticker loop, if they can have the LOI up there every 10mins then they can have the GAA. And they should give a fixtures report on the Friday of the weekend games. I'd like a preview/review slot for 1/2 hr midweek but wouldn't fault them on that as RTE haven't even bothered to do that.

And they need to seriously up their game on the website. The Cork Limerick report took 3 days to appear. Its hardly ground breaking what should be expect at a very minimum but that's also the Gaa's fault as all this should be stipulated in contracts regardless of who wins the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Elmo wrote: »
    Why would you buy a product for 3 years and have the first year as a pilot. 3 years is medium term at the very least.

Noone said you had to buy it.

Kind of as an aside I hope Sky getting involved will improve GAA coverage in general across the board on regular media and online. GAA is very badly served online. On RTE you have to go through a minefield just to have a look at what the upcoming fixtures are. The official GAA websites aren't any better.

• Advertisement

Undecided
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    Noone said you had to buy it.

Kind of as an aside I hope Sky getting involved will improve GAA coverage in general across the board on regular media and online. GAA is very badly served online. On RTE you have to go through a minefield just to have a look at what the upcoming fixtures are. The official GAA websites aren't any better.

No from sky's perspective. Sky couldn't consider it a pilot service when they have signed a contract for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JayIre

No
    Stick on Sky Sports News if possible. Brian K is gonna talk some GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Brian017

My god apparently both Kilkenny and Offaly are in Connacht and they're playing football on Saturday. :O Shocking Sky shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No
    JayIre wrote: »
    Stick on Sky Sports News if possible. Brian K is gonna talk some GAA.

Thanks. Caught it from when he was talking up Brian Cody. Explained black cards fairly well.
    All seemed to be going well until the caption at end said:

Connacht GAA Football
    Kilkenny v Offaly

LIVE on Sky Sports

Did I miss much before the Cody talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Undecided
    Brian017 wrote: »
    My god apparently both Kilkenny and Offaly are in Connacht and they're playing football on Saturday. :O Shocking Sky shocking

They couldn't get the sport or the province correct. Only one winner in this deal and it's not the GAA or viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JayIre

No
    iDave wrote: »
    Thanks. Caught it from when he was talking up Brian Cody. Explained black cards fairly well.
    All seemed to be going well until the caption at end said:

Connacht GAA Football
    Kilkenny v Offaly

LIVE on Sky Sports

Did I miss much before the Cody talk?

Brian was just talking about how he thinks hurlers are among the most skilful athletes in any sport before he began talking about Cody.

As you said, went well until the captain at the end. Should be on again so we'll see will they correct that huge boo boo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

No
    Seems like another Murdoch owned business has made a move for digital GAA rights
    News UK has secured the rights to show highlights on its digital platform of all football and hurling championship matches.

From this weekend, subscribers to The Sun, The Times and Sunday Times apps will be able to log on and see exclusive GAA action.

Offerings include clips from 85 championship matches and even more from the national leagues, which will also be available in the US, Australia, New Zealand and Canada on the Irish Sun's app.

Meanwhile, the Irish Sun has been granted exclusive worldwide rights to show highlights of more than 170 GAA matches a year to subscribers of its iPhone app - or on the newspaper's website on tablet, laptop or desktop format. This app is available through the iPhone's US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand app stores.

In Northern Ireland and UK, the action can be followed via a Sun + digital subscription or a subscription to any News UK title, including The Times and Sunday Times.

The Irish Sun app costs €4.49 a month and the rights period runs for three years.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=217805

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

No
    lertsnim wrote: »
    They couldn't get the sport or the province correct. Only one winner in this deal and it's not the GAA or viewers.
    Yeah cos RTE never make unprofessional cock ups like that. :eek: Wonder if John Higgins has gotten over the death of his "father" Alex yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Undecided
    What has RTÉ got to do with it? Essentially you are excusing one broadcasters **** up because another has made one.

• Advertisement

Undecided
    iDave wrote: »
    Seems like another Murdoch owned business has made a move for digital GAA rights

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=217805

Well done GAA for this deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

No
    lertsnim wrote: »
    What has RTÉ got to do with it? Essentially you are excusing one broadcasters **** up because another has made one.
    First explain to me why theres only one winner and its not the gaa and the viewers,then ill take you through it.

Undecided
    harpsman wrote: »
    First explain to me why theres only one winner and its not the gaa and the viewers,then ill take you through it.

I personally have yet to hear of one positive of this deal yet,Looking forward to seeing what they bring tomorrow night,But not expecting much.

Undecided
    I personally have yet to hear of one positive of this deal yet,Looking forward to seeing what they bring tomorrow night,But not expecting much.

From reading the reviews in the play store the option of watching through the Sky Sports TV app for €12.99 isn't a runner either as the service constantly drops or freezes. Very few positive remarks about it on there. I'm sure there was plenty hoping that this would be a reasonably cost effective way of watching the games

No
    From reading the reviews in the play store the option of watching through the Sky Sports TV app for €12.99 isn't a runner either as the service constantly drops or freezes. Very few positive remarks about it on there. I'm sure there was plenty hoping that this would be a reasonably cost effective way of watching the games

it has as many 5 stars as 1 star ratings on the play store. Usually people only post ratings when they are annoyed with something. If its any use to you, I use the sky go app quite regularly, and it works fine, and a lot of the time I was using it I wasnt on wifi but on 3g mobile data. Whether or not that would be the same for the sky sports app I dont know, but it should be as they would be working off the same platform.

Undecided
    it has as many 5 stars as 1 star ratings on the play store. Usually people only post ratings when they are annoyed with something. If its any use to you, I use the sky go app quite regularly, and it works fine, and a lot of the time I was using it I wasnt on wifi but on 3g mobile data. Whether or not that would be the same for the sky sports app I dont know, but it should be as they would be working off the same platform.

I used sky go last year to watch the Heineken cup and it was fine but this app appears to be loaded with the same recurring issues. Was hoping to use it tomorrow to see the KK offaly game but would be wary now.

Anyone been using it up to now and how were you finding it.

Undecided
    Just saw its not compatible with my Samsung tab so its not a runner anyway. Rats.
    Any other ways of watching this bar hitting the pub. Dangerous heading in that early

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

No
    dont worry.
    From reports in last weeks examiner, if the munster council have their way there'll maybe only be the 30games on (rather than 40 incl tv3 or 45 incl sky) at the end of this 3 year deal.
    It looks like a minimum of less munster hurling games next year at the very least.

so be careful what you wish for if you want rid of sky.
    you may just get it (EDIT.... with little or no replacement free to air games).

this deal suits some within the gaa in that the sky deal limits game availability, which should boost gates which is seen as positive, without totally removing them from circulation which is also positive.

Anyhow, the sky game is free to watch to those outside uk/ ireland before the following weekend the €110 per season €10/€14 per game (not day) kicks in for online streaming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

No
    Lads can someone tell me with absolute certainty, whether the GAA stories on sky sports are on sky sports when viewed in england?

Also the same thing with the actual games shown on sky sports. As in will someone over in england watching the sports, will they see GAA match on sky sports 3 or not? or is it just ireland

• Advertisement

No
    Roquentin wrote: »
    Lads can someone tell me with absolute certainty, whether the GAA stories on sky sports are on sky sports when viewed in england?

Also the same thing with the actual games shown on sky sports. As in will someone over in england watching the sports, will they see GAA match on sky sports 3 or not? or is it just ireland

Its everywhere

Advertisement